Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
WolfieboyMachi
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:38 pm
Posts: 868
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:08 pm 
 

I LOVE synth. I absolutely do. Almost all my favorite bands incorporate synth of some sort in some way.
And even though I hear a great variety of synth out there, there is one specific type of synth that I hear very rarely.
In fact, as of now, there are only five songs I can think about that use it.
I have no idea what it's called. All I know is that it's awesome.

One of the songs is Ghost by Machinae Supremacy. It is the synth that's playing in the intro.

Another is the song Anthropomorphism by Marionette. It starts at the 2:08 mark and also goes from the 3:20 mark as the outro.

Third song is Machinism by The Machinist. Starts at the 0:46 mark.

Fourth song is Iceheart Fragment by The Unguided. It can be heard briefly at the end of the song (4:22 mark, and also in the background at 2:57). The studio version is not on youtube, so you'll have to settle with a cover video.

The song Nei Jø Så Fyse From the "Solan, Ludvig og Gurin med reverompa" movie (norway's first animated feature film) use a little different take on it, with it being more drawn out. Particularly at the 1:42 mark.


I love that synth. It is so awesome. But like I said earlier, these are the only songs I can think of that use it.
It doesn't have to be Metal. Just any type of music that has it.

If you know any other songs that use it, or bands that are prone to use it in general, please share them.


Last edited by WolfieboyMachi on Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Top
 Profile  
Deviante
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:59 pm
Posts: 617
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:34 pm 
 

I don't know much about synths so I can't give you the answer as to 'what' synth effect that is/those are (save for the MaSu song, on which the SID-chip is being utilized - props for MaSu, by the way, superb band!), but my friend listens to these kind of synth-dripped 'modern melodeath' bands a lot, so having heard of a few solid bands in the process, I figured you might give these a shot, as going by your links, you could enjoy them:

Timecry
myGRAIN

Edit: this might also be of interest to you in general, though I don't like it personally. Stylistically, though, it is close to the bands you provided in the links (mostly) are, with some synthy sections thrown in too.

Don't know if that helps at all or whether or not you know of the bands, but yeah.
_________________
Goatfangs wrote:
I named a praying mantis "Dio" after Dio, because he is awesome (the mantis is cool too). I even brought Dio the mantis to a metal show... so I can honestly say I was at a metal show with Dio.

Top
 Profile  
qTp
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:32 pm
Posts: 322
Location: Dolomites
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:32 pm 
 

never heard of The Machinist, great track!!


well, I don't know metal bands that use this type of sound - or maybe I don't remember them right now (I don't listen much to melodic death metal, perhaps the metal genre where this type of sound is used more)....except my band (I made the sound, so it's hard to forget ahah)
...hope you like post black metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBGsv048OPc
you can hear it in the ambient section that starts at 5:40 (and in the intro of course)

I used Audioxygen Gemini VSTi, but you can do it with others synth/VST that have the step sequencer interface (like here - btw this is a synthesizer not a VST, so hardware not software)
so you play a note and what you hear is the sequence of notes that you have programmed in the VST/synthesizer



if you are also interested in ambient music, there are many tracks with this type of sound
like in Carbon Based Lifeforms:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7cpS2DDB_E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtPTvyjtx3g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_8G0zHMuwg
_________________
Progenie Terrestre Pura
[[post black metal + electronica]]

Top
 Profile  
volutetheswarth
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:37 pm
Posts: 1354
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:49 pm 
 

Soilwork has this, I can't think of all the specific songs at the moment because I haven't
listened to them in a long time but one off hand:
Rejection Role; at the 0:12 mark - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKZBFts4 ... ure=relmfu
From what I recall, the albums Natural Born Chaos and Figure Number Five feature this sound.

Disarmonia Mundi has this too, one example:
Stepchild Of Laceration; at the beginning - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJeIh-Rx ... re=related

Top
 Profile  
Dave_o_rama
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:54 am
Posts: 544
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:28 am 
 

You might want to give Skyfire's "Effusion of Strength" a try, it has the synth sound you're looking for at during the intro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32UsVkn2CeA
_________________
hippiedrow, on the new Skeletonwitch album wrote:
I remember back when Beyond the Permafrost came out. I was eating a lot of Asian wok-style foods, so now whenever Skeletonwitch is mentioned I get the pleasant taste of noodles in my mouth.

Top
 Profile  
WolfieboyMachi
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:38 pm
Posts: 868
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:50 am 
 

Deviante wrote:
I don't know much about synths so I can't give you the answer as to 'what' synth effect that is/those are (save for the MaSu song, on which the SID-chip is being utilized - props for MaSu, by the way, superb band!), but my friend listens to these kind of synth-dripped 'modern melodeath' bands a lot, so having heard of a few solid bands in the process, I figured you might give these a shot, as going by your links, you could enjoy them:

Timecry
myGRAIN

Edit: this might also be of interest to you in general, though I don't like it personally.


Thanks for the recs.
I already know Timecry and MyGrain.
Sadly, I'm not particularly fond of either of them. I like their synths, but that's about the only thing I find particularly enjoyable too.
Other than that, they're just two run o' the mill MDM bands... In my opinion.

Neptune I actually liked quite a bit more. Some better production quality would've gone a long way, but I definitely liked it. I'll keep an eye on them. Thanks. :)



qTp wrote:
never heard of The Machinist, great track!!


well, I don't know metal bands that use this type of sound - or maybe I don't remember them right now (I don't listen much to melodic death metal, perhaps the metal genre where this type of sound is used more)....except my band (I made the sound, so it's hard to forget ahah)
...hope you like post black metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBGsv048OPc
you can hear it in the ambient section that starts at 5:40 (and in the intro of course)

I used Audioxygen Gemini VSTi, but you can do it with others synth/VST that have the step sequencer interface (like here - btw this is a synthesizer not a VST, so hardware not software)
so you play a note and what you hear is the sequence of notes that you have programmed in the VST/synthesizer

if you are also interested in ambient music, there are many tracks with this type of sound
like in Carbon Based Lifeforms:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7cpS2DDB_E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtPTvyjtx3g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_8G0zHMuwg



Thanks a lot for that info! That will certainly come in handy for my project. :)
Do you remember what exactly that type of synth was called? I'm assuming there are lots of different types and sounds that can be created with the program?

As for your band, I was surprised. I didn't really think Post-Black Metal would be my thing, but I really enjoyed it. Sweet stuff. :)
Ambient is something I also enjoy, and I liked all the stuff you linked to. Thanks a bunch.



volutetheswarth wrote:
Soilwork has this, I can't think of all the specific songs at the moment because I haven't
listened to them in a long time but one off hand:
Rejection Role; at the 0:12 mark - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKZBFts4 ... ure=relmfu
From what I recall, the albums Natural Born Chaos and Figure Number Five feature this sound.

Disarmonia Mundi has this too, one example:
Stepchild Of Laceration; at the beginning - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJeIh-Rx ... re=related


Wow, can't belive I forgot that Disarmonia Mundi song. It's been a long time since I listened to them.
I've never listened much to Soilwork, but that song was pretty sweet.
Thanks. :)




Dave_o_rama wrote:
You might want to give Skyfire's "Effusion of Strength" a try, it has the synth sound you're looking for at during the intro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32UsVkn2CeA

Sweet. Thanks. :)




If anyone has anything else, please feel free to post it.

Top
 Profile  
STORMM
Veteran

Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:27 am
Posts: 2839
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:38 pm 
 

Know that sound alright, I have heard it a few times in some of the releases I have bought but can't think of fuck all at the minute. If my memory serves me right Amorphis were on of the first metal bands to use it in their tales of the thousand lakes album, Im quite sure, I have not listened to it in many years so not sure of the tracks.

Anyway Rammstein use it -
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri= ... ARCuTlg-Y8

And Omnium Gatherum's shadowkey would not be too dissimilar -
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri= ... g--pwMjnWE

Top
 Profile  
Christ_ins_anity
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 81
Location: Chile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:24 pm 
 

May be a little different, but I think you may like the synth work in Dan Swano's solo album, Moontower (like Rush playing Death Metal in the 70's!!!).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usPygNbJl5Y

Top
 Profile  
Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:48 pm
Posts: 567
Location: Living in the cosmic nod
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:04 am 
 

The sound you're looking for is in the chorus of this song also. I'm pretty sure there's more between this and the previous album but I'm currently drawing a blank
http://youtu.be/IeeTDGHiF3E

Also briefly in the intro here:
http://youtu.be/aVoLnSv7mjs

Top
 Profile  
qTp
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:32 pm
Posts: 322
Location: Dolomites
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:03 am 
 

WolfieboyMachi wrote:
qTp wrote:
never heard of The Machinist, great track!!
well, I don't know metal bands that use this type of sound - or maybe I don't remember them right now (I don't listen much to melodic death metal, perhaps the metal genre where this type of sound is used more)....except my band (I made the sound, so it's hard to forget ahah)
...hope you like post black metal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBGsv048OPc
you can hear it in the ambient section that starts at 5:40 (and in the intro of course)

I used Audioxygen Gemini VSTi, but you can do it with others synth/VST that have the step sequencer interface (like here - btw this is a synthesizer not a VST, so hardware not software)
so you play a note and what you hear is the sequence of notes that you have programmed in the VST/synthesizer

if you are also interested in ambient music, there are many tracks with this type of sound
like in Carbon Based Lifeforms:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7cpS2DDB_E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtPTvyjtx3g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_8G0zHMuwg



Thanks a lot for that info! That will certainly come in handy for my project. :)
Do you remember what exactly that type of synth was called? I'm assuming there are lots of different types and sounds that can be created with the program?

As for your band, I was surprised. I didn't really think Post-Black Metal would be my thing, but I really enjoyed it. Sweet stuff. :)
Ambient is something I also enjoy, and I liked all the stuff you linked to. Thanks a bunch.


right now I don't remember what preset i used, but there is a sine wave as source for the step sequence for sure
obviously you have to set all other parameters (filters, reverb, delay, etc), otherwise you only get something like this
_________________
Progenie Terrestre Pura
[[post black metal + electronica]]

Top
 Profile  
WolfieboyMachi
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:38 pm
Posts: 868
Location: Norway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:36 pm 
 

Seems kinda complicated. But thanks. It'll no doubt get in handy when I'm getting started on my project. :)

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group