Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NightsBlood85
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:41 am 

Good evening everyone. First off, I tried finding a pre-existing thread in this forum dedicated to the '90s symphonic black metal "thing" but was unable to find one. Anyway, I am sure many of you black metal fans out there are familiar with the likes of Obtained Enslavement's Witchcraft, Dimmu Borgir's Stormblåst, Limbonic Art's Moon In The Scorpio, Cradle Of Filth's Dusk And Her Embrace, Covenant's In Times Before The Light, Emperor's In The Nightside Eclipse and so on, right? The symphonic black metal sound really catapulted in popularity in the late '90s and early 2000s so I am pretty confident that there have to be at least a few relatively unknown gems out there that never made it into the limelight like the aforementioned. Can anyone here recommend me some obscurities from the 90s or early 2000s (at the latest) comparable to some of the albums listed earlier? I am not looking for that new stuff with the mechanical production and large orchestras but, rather, that '90s sound with the mystical atmosphere (talk about being ambigious ...). Any feedback would be much appreciated - thank you!

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:04 am 

have you listened to nokturnal mortum - goat horns

NightsBlood85
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:13 am 

bug_man wrote:
have you listened to nokturnal mortum - goat horns

Yes I have. It's a good album although the production on it is a bit strange since the guitars are very buried in the mix ... actually, come to think of it, I've never heard an album that audibly sounds like Goat Horns - it has a unique production. Either way, it's certainly applicable to what I was requesting so thank you kindly.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:37 am 

I guess by "symphonic" you mean keys?

Melodic is probably a better term for this example.

NightsBlood85
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:06 am 

schizoid wrote:
I guess by "symphonic" you mean keys?

Melodic is probably a better term for this example.

Is the rest of the Christcrusher album on par with this song? I have both the Forest Of Witchery and Lords Of Twilight albums and enjoy them considerably. For some reason I've associated Christcrusher with being sub-par (and I can't remember why) but the song you linked above was solid and very much aligned with the first two records. Thank you!

Yeah, there certainly seems to be a division as to what is now considered "symphonic" black metal and "melodic" black metal. I guess in the formative years these terms could be seen as a bit more synonymous since black metal bands, during the '90s, weren't employing full orchestras and choirs and whatnot. Witchcraft and Moon In The Scorpio are certainly more akin to what could be considered "symphonic" black metal whilst an album like In Times Before The Light could probably be seen as more "melodic" ... either way, suggestions from both pools are welcome.

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:22 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85A78kMz0Fg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ4Qb39bqIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIeDuqOfV8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUaOxPJFIjs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5NXTjmEmq0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QLe99aC7t0
And they lived in lordly magnificence.
Those powers have vanished, those pleasures, dead.
The weakest survives and the world continues, kept spinning by toil.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:51 am 

To my memory, yeah, Christcrusher is a solid album. I haven't really listened much to anything else they've done so cant comment on that.

And I think you're right. I think it's in more recent years that some bands have been able to swing getting an actual orchestra on their albums that may skew the definition of "symphonic metal".

I'm going to take a guess and say Hecate Enthroned is too obvious? in particular " The Slaughter Of Innocence..."

NightsBlood85
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:34 am 

Lord Tempestuous wrote:

Ah, yes, Dies Irae - an obscure name I've heard more than once but, unfortunately, something that is nearly impossible to get (at least on hardcopy). No less, it sounds good!

I am familiar with Abigor, Arcturus and Apotheosis. I love Abigor (their album Nachthymnen is a personal favorite) and Arcturus' first album is fantastic (and, consequently, the only one that I like, haha). Apotheosis are a bit too fantasy-based for my personal tastes but Farthest From The Sun certainly holds the sentiments of the era I am interested in.

Parnassus is a name I've come across once or twice in the past but I never gave it much attention until now and I very much enjoy it - thank you! I am going to have to track down the two full-lengths.

schizoid wrote:
To my memory, yeah, Christcrusher is a solid album. I haven't really listened much to anything else they've done so cant comment on that.

And I think you're right. I think it's in more recent years that some bands have been able to swing getting an actual orchestra on their albums that may skew the definition of "symphonic metal".

I'm going to take a guess and say Hecate Enthroned is too obvious? in particular " The Slaughter Of Innocence..."

I am very well acquainted with that Hecate Enthroned album (along with Dark Requiems And Unsilent Massacre) though, if I weren't, you would have just recommended me a true gem so thanks anyway!

Early Thy Serpent has an awesome, oftentimes melancholic atmosphere to it with a lot of impressive acoustic/electric guitar interplay. The following is one of my favorites from their first two releases (that were, for the record, recorded during the same sessions): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMNVH85XMAg

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:41 am 

Hmm, are you familiar with Tartaros's 'The Red Jewel'?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:18 pm 

Obsidian Gate's The Nightspectral Voyage is the best symphonic black metal album out there. It's also near the top of the list of albums that need a goddamn reissue.

I hit play, and was overcome with the urge to be physically inactive! Great music!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:55 pm 

Just use the regular black metal help thread. Obviously there's not going to be a stickied thread for precisely 90's symphonic black metal.

COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.