Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1218
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:32 pm 
 

dontlivefastjustdie wrote:
Seconding DY. Most pissed.

For PV staples you should definitely check out Spazz. "Crush, Kill, Destroy" is my favorite but a lot of people like "La Revancha" more.

For more recent jams check out Cheap Art
http://cheapart.bandcamp.com/

Slave
http://slavepv.bandcamp.com/



Spazz should have special place in everyone's heart. The quote the Simpsons for fuck's sake. Slave were also surprisingly awesome. The South doesn't seem to be that fruitful for PV, am I wrong Just Dye?
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:59 pm
Posts: 845
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:07 pm 
 

Check out The Endless Blockade. Probably one of my favorite powerviolence bands from recent times that played tr00 powerviolence. No links since I'm at work but their full length Primitive is crushing.

Also DY is probably the best PV band ever.
_________________
Western NY Metal Scene Facebook page.
Controlled by Fear. Grindcore. Split with Special Buddy Discount out now.

Top
 Profile  
the_raytownian
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:09 am
Posts: 2135
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:42 pm 
 

im too drunk agaibn for finding/quoting posts, but, YES, the south does suck for PV.


yes it do.

at least we have goood sludge and pop-punk anywya. :grumble:

"folk-punk" is a very southern thing that can eat a whole truck of dicks, though,...
_________________
Disgrace to the corpse of Metal Archives!
Discogs

Top
 Profile  
Mechanix11
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:33 pm
Posts: 130
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:04 am 
 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Mechanix11 wrote:
hi to all
Well i'm kind of new on the PV genre, so i would like to know any bands or albums to get started listening (it can be old school or new school). Any recommendations?


Despise You. People will suggest other bands, but they're stupid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuwK08ts54M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXktUoj_aR4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvgLUUN9T9I

okay, okay. if you HAVE to hear more bands check these out.

Infest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvE75TW7jQo

No Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGZH2_kBfBU

and some more current shit

Lycanthrophy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_nTktu1xtM

Water Torture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFjXVGFvb6U

Iron Lung

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVWd9ClFB7w

Mind Eraser

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZdpWU81iwU


Thanks for the recommendations
No Comment, Infest, Spazz and Despise You are awesome :headbang:

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1218
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:48 am 
 

Mechanix11 wrote:

Thanks for the recommendations
No Comment, Infest, Spazz and Despise You are awesome :headbang:


Yeah dogg. If you like those older bands you might as well check out the rest of that stuff.
Lack of Interest

Apartment 213

Crossed Out

Man is the Bastard

Capitalist Casualties

Asshole Parade
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:59 pm
Posts: 845
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:04 pm 
 

the_raytownian wrote:
"folk-punk" is a very southern thing that can eat a whole truck of dicks, though,...


Folk punk kids are the worst. Ughhh.

Also can someone explain how ska and ska punk is at all popular? Like in my city there are a bunch of ska bands and if I had a personal hell it would be an empty room with an iPod that only had ska on it.
_________________
Western NY Metal Scene Facebook page.
Controlled by Fear. Grindcore. Split with Special Buddy Discount out now.

Top
 Profile  
Warvomit
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:30 pm
Posts: 7
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:23 pm 
 

xThe__Wizard wrote:


These bands are great.
Fast and simple song with short lyrics.
Much more straighforward stuff than American bands.

Here is some great Finnish hardcore punk bands:

Maho Neitsyt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfSAN77aG-A
Kohu-63: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taEER9foHjs
Kuolema: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgyeIqGDVVE
Sekasorto: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF1AXux06Kg
Lama: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RLOka8N6Es
Mellakka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysAeqP9hNCU

Top
 Profile  
the_raytownian
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:09 am
Posts: 2135
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:37 am 
 

xThe__Wizard wrote:
the_raytownian wrote:
"folk-punk" is a very southern thing that can eat a whole truck of dicks, though,...


Folk punk kids are the worst. Ughhh.


Don't I know it. Living in the south, I've met shitloads.

the whole "new generation" of young people in my city is basically a bunch of rich kids who listen to Against Me! way too much.
and I'm one of only two people in my age group who hasn't moved away from this city, so I feel like an old fart hanging out with him + a bunch of 18 year-olds now.

It's also super awkward when they start whine-singing and strumming their acoustic guitars really hard and giving each other back rubs.

At least they seem friendly... but, man, the scene here is dead. It's all folkpunx, ageing 30+ hipsters and already-aged, upper class faux-hippies who "support local artists" because it makes them feel good.

It's really no wonder why all my friends left. :)
_________________
Disgrace to the corpse of Metal Archives!
Discogs

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 4550
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:44 am 
 

So, what's the general consensus here about Disrupt?! :-D

I have an honest question though. Should I get Unrest and The Rest compilation separately or together in that box set that Relapse put out? It includes a remastered version of Unrest and a DVD with live footage, but as far as I could tell it seems that the remaster of Unrest is very clean sounding and "unmudied" when compared to the original edition. Plus, is that compilation even worth it?

What do you guys think?
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
dontlivefastjustdie
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:16 pm
Posts: 2104
Location: Hotlanta, USA
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:15 am 
 

Disrupt rules!

I haven't seen the dvd or the box set, nor heard the reissue, but I'd wager the "remaster" is probably garbage. The compilation def seems worth it though since you get all the splits etc.
_________________
SPEWTILATOR - Play Fast // Smoke Grass
NEW 'Goathrower' EP out Feb 14th on Boris Records!
'Ancient Rites of Getting Conjured' split CS w/ Coffin Dust out on Headsplit Rekords!
Ryanimator! - Logos and Artwork

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 4550
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:21 am 
 

I have a 192 rip of the original edition, and I compared the title song to the one on Youtube from the remaster. It seemed off, ultra clean and without any power, if you know what I mean. The compilation seems very appealing, but the thing is that I have no idea of the sound quality on those splits/EPs/whatever tracks. That was partially why I asked.

And yeah, they fucking rule! :thumbsup:
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
xThe__Wizard
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:59 pm
Posts: 845
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:34 am 
 

Warvomit wrote:
xThe__Wizard wrote:


These bands are great.
Fast and simple song with short lyrics.
Much more straighforward stuff than American bands.

Here is some great Finnish hardcore punk bands:

Maho Neitsyt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfSAN77aG-A
Kohu-63: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taEER9foHjs
Kuolema: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgyeIqGDVVE
Sekasorto: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF1AXux06Kg
Lama: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RLOka8N6Es
Mellakka: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysAeqP9hNCU


I've heard of Mellakka and Kohu-63 but never heard Maho Neitsyt. It reminds me of GG ALlin kind of stuff. Dig it!
_________________
Western NY Metal Scene Facebook page.
Controlled by Fear. Grindcore. Split with Special Buddy Discount out now.

Top
 Profile  
Zdan
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:05 pm
Posts: 2027
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:20 pm 
 

Can anybody point to me any modern hardcore bands that model their sound on stuff like "Best Wishes"-era Cro-Mags and "Born To Expire" from Leeway? Does not have to be crossover but hardcore with that distinctive metallic riffing touch like those two albums.

Top
 Profile  
MachineKornSymmetry93
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 12:51 am
Posts: 7
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:04 pm 
 

If you're into the straight edge thing. You must know of Gorilla Biscuits.

Top
 Profile  
Zodijackyl
Lazy Wizard

Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:39 pm
Posts: 4703
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:14 pm 
 

Hmm, modern hardcore similar to Leeway? I'm grasping for something to recommend, but a few come to mind, though not necessarily the best suggestions.

-Bitter End remind me a little bit of Leeway, a bit of a more modern hardcore take one some thrashy NYHC.
-This Is Hell are a hardcore punk band that have been getting thrashier and thrashier. Listen to their latest album, you would probably like it. Worth checking all of their discography.
-Pulling Teeth are sorta thrashy hardcore mixed with darker midwestern hardcore, seems either hit or miss for this but I'm not sure.

Top
 Profile  
suleiman
Metalhead

Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:51 am
Posts: 422
Location: Pakistan
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:56 am 
 

Zdan wrote:
Can anybody point to me any modern hardcore bands that model their sound on stuff like "Best Wishes"-era Cro-Mags and "Born To Expire" from Leeway? Does not have to be crossover but hardcore with that distinctive metallic riffing touch like those two albums.


That awesome era of Cro-Mags has seldom been emulated. Might as well, eh ?

Top
 Profile  
dystopia4
Veteran

Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm
Posts: 3488
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:07 am 
 

Been listening to a lot of Cursed lately

One of my favourite bands from my country, too bad they only made it to 3 albums (at least the drummer went on to play in awesome psych band Quest for Fire). Third album is probably my favourite, just as sludgy as it is crusty and not as overtly just about hardcore.
Spoiler: show
_________________
http://ifthisishellthenimlucky.blogspot.ca/

Top
 Profile  
El_ahrairah
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:38 pm
Posts: 2
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:18 pm 
 

dystopia4 wrote:
Been listening to a lot of Cursed lately

One of my favourite bands from my country, too bad they only made it to 3 albums (at least the drummer went on to play in awesome psych band Quest for Fire). Third album is probably my favourite, just as sludgy as it is crusty and not as overtly just about hardcore.
Spoiler: show


Best Band with this particular sound in recent years and one of my favorites in hc. Period.

Top
 Profile  
Zdan
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:05 pm
Posts: 2027
Location: Poland
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:02 pm 
 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Hmm, modern hardcore similar to Leeway? I'm grasping for something to recommend, but a few come to mind, though not necessarily the best suggestions.

-Bitter End remind me a little bit of Leeway, a bit of a more modern hardcore take one some thrashy NYHC.
-This Is Hell are a hardcore punk band that have been getting thrashier and thrashier. Listen to their latest album, you would probably like it. Worth checking all of their discography.
-Pulling Teeth are sorta thrashy hardcore mixed with darker midwestern hardcore, seems either hit or miss for this but I'm not sure.


I already know of these three bands and like all of them. Bitter End is kind of like Leeway with some modern bits and a big emphasis on the NYHC/metallic hardcore vibe. I like them. Pulling Teeth are an awesome awesome dark metallic hardcore band - touches of Integrity and Ringworm there. I guess Iron Age could be considered a Cro-Mags/Leeway-like crossover style followup. I love that band - too bad they broke up.

I just remembered that the second record of Teamkiller from Germany is a very Cro-Mags-like album with nods to both "Best Wishes" and the underrated "Alpha Omega".

If you got anymore bands though please keep them coming - maybe I will stumble onto something I don't already know and like.

Top
 Profile  
skwid79
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:14 pm
Posts: 73
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:08 am 
 

Can anyone help me find a punk song that was about killing a family with and axe, Im pretty sure the singer mentioned killing his girlfriend in it and it wasn't a crust song, but it possibly could be a hardcore song. Im pretty sure it was from the 80s or 90s too.

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 4550
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:38 am 
 

Not sure about the axe, but this one perhaps?
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
skwid79
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:14 pm
Posts: 73
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:51 am 
 

Kicks ass but this isn't it, its a bit too heavy. I think it could've even been a pop-punk band who did the song.

Top
 Profile  
the_raytownian
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:09 am
Posts: 2135
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:44 pm 
 

skwid79 wrote:
Can anyone help me find a punk song that was about killing a family with and axe, Im pretty sure the singer mentioned killing his girlfriend in it and it wasn't a crust song, but it possibly could be a hardcore song. Im pretty sure it was from the 80s or 90s too.


lol, why would a song about that even make anyone think it could be a crust song?

I have no idea about the song, btw.
_________________
Disgrace to the corpse of Metal Archives!
Discogs

Top
 Profile  
Rild
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:38 pm
Posts: 623
Location: Vancouver
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:41 pm 
 

can someone recommend me some beautiful hardcore punk / black metal babymaking like All Pigs Must Die? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TjY54LKTbQ
_________________
What! Dost thou stand there to fuck Time?

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 4550
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:31 am 
 

the_raytownian wrote:
skwid79 wrote:
Can anyone help me find a punk song that was about killing a family with and axe, Im pretty sure the singer mentioned killing his girlfriend in it and it wasn't a crust song, but it possibly could be a hardcore song. Im pretty sure it was from the 80s or 90s too.


lol, why would a song about that even make anyone think it could be a crust song?

I have no idea about the song, btw.

I have no idea what its lyrics are on about, but when I was reading through that description I immediately thought about Amebix's "The Axeman". Go figure! :p
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
skwid79
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:14 pm
Posts: 73
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:50 pm 
 

the_raytownian wrote:
skwid79 wrote:
Can anyone help me find a punk song that was about killing a family with and axe, Im pretty sure the singer mentioned killing his girlfriend in it and it wasn't a crust song, but it possibly could be a hardcore song. Im pretty sure it was from the 80s or 90s too.


lol, why would a song about that even make anyone think it could be a crust song?

I have no idea about the song, btw.


Only trying to narrow it down, at this point Im trying to figure out if the song existed in the first place.

Top
 Profile  
dystopia4
Veteran

Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm
Posts: 3488
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:06 pm 
 

androdion wrote:
I immediately thought about Amebix's "The Axeman". Go figure! :p

:thumbsup:

Anyone into Mouth Sewn Shut, a surprisingly non lame combination of crust punk and ska. Really catchy yet still heavy stuff. I have their Doomed Future Today album on vinyl.

Spoiler: show


They came out of Toxic Narcotic, another cool crust band. They occasionally had ska/reggae influences, but never to the same degree.

Spoiler: show
_________________
http://ifthisishellthenimlucky.blogspot.ca/

Top
 Profile  
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:55 am
Posts: 7297
Location: Innsmouth
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:54 pm 
 

Rild wrote:
can someone recommend me some beautiful hardcore punk / black metal babymaking like All Pigs Must Die? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TjY54LKTbQ


Check out the inappropriately-named Young and In the Way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hBR4QqAOCE
_________________
Lippyass Major wrote:
Getting a band inked into your skin permanently is always a sign of dedication and intelligence, and I have a lot of respect for the people who do it.


COMA VOID | GLOAMING | FAUSTIAN ORBS

Top
 Profile  
dystopia4
Veteran

Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm
Posts: 3488
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:21 am 
 

Can anyone recommend some good epic crust? Stuff I like in this vein include Tragedy, From Ashes Rise and Oroku.
_________________
http://ifthisishellthenimlucky.blogspot.ca/

Top
 Profile  
the_raytownian
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:09 am
Posts: 2135
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:45 am 
 

skwid79 wrote:
Only trying to narrow it down, at this point Im trying to figure out if the song existed in the first place.


I feel yuh... I've been there.
Technically, I'm still there. There's a song that's been bouncing around my head for years, and I've actually questioned its existence, even... Cannot find it anywhere. I've started to think maybe my mind just blurred the memory of another song/songs into this one in my head or something...
_________________
Disgrace to the corpse of Metal Archives!
Discogs

Top
 Profile  
the_raytownian
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:09 am
Posts: 2135
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:49 am 
 

Rild wrote:
can someone recommend me some beautiful hardcore punk / black metal babymaking like All Pigs Must Die? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TjY54LKTbQ


Anyone else find it interesting how this "new" hybrid style of Black metal and Crust really sounds like neither, but instead, an awful fucking lot like (quality) Post-Hardcore/Metalcore with some vague crust (and even more vague BM) influence? I mean, most every "Neocrust" band on earth is literally just a band of Post-Hardcore kids who found out about Amebix and Axegrinder and shit later in life.

ANYONE?!
See? Those genres aren't so bad... :headbang:

dystopia4 wrote:
Can anyone recommend some good epic crust? Stuff I like in this vein include Tragedy, From Ashes Rise and Oroku.


Leadershit
Provoked
Skarp???

I guess none of these are really epic... not that I consider your mentions "epic" either... more just "melodic". "Epic Crust" is a super-dumb descriptor anyway, TBF.
_________________
Disgrace to the corpse of Metal Archives!
Discogs

Top
 Profile  
Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:11 pm
Posts: 513
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:44 am 
 

dystopia4 wrote:
Can anyone recommend some good epic crust? Stuff I like in this vein include Tragedy, From Ashes Rise and Oroku.


You've heard Fall of Efrafa, I take it?

Top
 Profile  
Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:11 pm
Posts: 513
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:50 am 
 

the_raytownian wrote:
Anyone else find it interesting how this "new" hybrid style of Black metal and Crust really sounds like neither, but instead, an awful fucking lot like (quality) Post-Hardcore/Metalcore with some vague crust (and even more vague BM) influence? I mean, most every "Neocrust" band on earth is literally just a band of Post-Hardcore kids who found out about Amebix and Axegrinder and shit later in life.

ANYONE?!
See? Those genres aren't so bad... :headbang:


Seems to me that they're pretty well split between post-hardcore bands with some extra grit and modernised emo bands.

I mean, I love bands like Witch Hunt but they're pretty much Rites of Spring with some actual production.

Top
 Profile  
dystopia4
Veteran

Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:47 pm
Posts: 3488
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:00 pm 
 

the_raytownian wrote:
Leadershit
Provoked
Skarp???
I guess none of these are really epic... not that I consider your mentions "epic" either... more just "melodic". "Epic Crust" is a super-dumb descriptor anyway, TBF.

Despite their awful name, Leadershit was really cool. Provoked were decent enough. I really like Skarp, but wouldn't really put them in the same category. I know epic crust is a pretty stupid name, but that's what I've heard most people call it.

Zero_Nowhere wrote:
You've heard Fall of Efrafa, I take it?

Oh yeah, great band. Just posted one of their videos on facebook actually.

Here's a pretty cool blog about crust/hardcore bands that use string instruments (a great combination if you ask me, Oroku remains one of my favourites):
http://crustwithstrings.blogspot.ca/
_________________
http://ifthisishellthenimlucky.blogspot.ca/

Top
 Profile  
Ill-Starred Son
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 215
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:33 pm 
 

"Anyone else find it interesting how this "new" hybrid style of Black metal and Crust really sounds like neither, but instead, an awful fucking lot like (quality) Post-Hardcore/Metalcore with some vague crust (and even more vague BM) influence? I mean, most every "Neocrust" band on earth is literally just a band of Post-Hardcore kids who found out about Amebix and Axegrinder and shit later in life.

ANYONE?!
See? Those genres aren't so bad... :headbang:"


I don't know man.

I'm not very into metal core or post metal so it's quite likely a lot of that stuff does sound like some of the new black crust, but when I think of those genres the bands that immediately come to mind for me are bands like Converge and Coalesce, and I don't hear too many similarities at all between those bands and a lot of the blackened Crust bands I've been enjoying lately like Wolvhammer, Martyrdod, newer Darkthrone, The Beyond and Skitsystem.

Maybe you mean bands other than those with the Converge/Coalesce sound or maybe I'm missing a resemblance.

I guess I'm not a big fan of metalcore and see there as being a pretty big difference, but maybe there's more similiarity than I'd like to admit lol.

Top
 Profile  
the_raytownian
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:09 am
Posts: 2135
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:18 pm 
 

Yeah, I probably jumped the gun a bit with the term "Metalcore" specifically, but those "Neo-Epic-Bklackened-Crust" bands, to me, definitely do have an incredibly overt Post-Hardcore influence/sound. I'm thinking of late 90's Post-Hardcore in particular here, not, like, Fugazi or something.
_________________
Disgrace to the corpse of Metal Archives!
Discogs

Top
 Profile  
the_raytownian
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:09 am
Posts: 2135
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:23 pm 
 

dystopia4 wrote:
the_raytownian wrote:
Leadershit
Provoked
Skarp???
I guess none of these are really epic... not that I consider your mentions "epic" either... more just "melodic". "Epic Crust" is a super-dumb descriptor anyway, TBF.

Despite their awful name, Leadershit was really cool. Provoked were decent enough. I really like Skarp, but wouldn't really put them in the same category. I know epic crust is a pretty stupid name, but that's what I've heard most people call it. /


Aw! Leadershit's a great name! :lol:
I figured Skarp was really, really pushing it, but I couldn't think of anything else to throw out at the time.

Anyway, I wasn't trying to knock you for using the term "Epic Crust", but I do hate that term! I know there's not really any other name for it, tho... other than Neocrust, which is also pretty dumb.

Other bands I thought of since:
You may like The Dagda or Cop On Fire if you have not heard them.
_________________
Disgrace to the corpse of Metal Archives!
Discogs

Top
 Profile  
Zero_Nowhere
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:11 pm
Posts: 513
Location: Australia
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:39 pm 
 

Ill-Starred Son wrote:
I don't know man.

I'm not very into metal core or post metal so it's quite likely a lot of that stuff does sound like some of the new black crust, but when I think of those genres the bands that immediately come to mind for me are bands like Converge and Coalesce, and I don't hear too many similarities at all between those bands and a lot of the blackened Crust bands I've been enjoying lately like Wolvhammer, Martyrdod, newer Darkthrone, The Beyond and Skitsystem.

Maybe you mean bands other than those with the Converge/Coalesce sound or maybe I'm missing a resemblance.

I guess I'm not a big fan of metalcore and see there as being a pretty big difference, but maybe there's more similiarity than I'd like to admit lol.


There's two sorts of bands borrowing the black/crust moniker (admittedly, I have no fucking idea how the second sort ended up with the association).

There's bands like Dishammer, Malveillance, Martyrdod and such. They're a mashup of BM plus oldschool crust and/or hardcore. Then there's the more atmospheric bands tied into the 'neocrust' movement. When they're actual BM + punk crossovers and not just a guilt-by-association thing based off one or two similarities, they tend to be atmospheric/post-black/blackgaze/etc + post-hardcore, emo or the less frantic forms of screamo.

Two very different camps sharing the same name. Which is kind of fitting, considering how the exact same thing has happened to both metalcore and post-hardcore in the past.

edit: Converge aren't really an example of post-harcore or (modern) metalcore. They're a pretty good example of how the term metalcore has shifted over the years though - it started out meaning punk bands that folded a lot of the harsher thrash influences back into hardcore (Converge, Integrity, other bands that are now lumped into the 'metallic hardcore' spectrum), shifted a bit to mean the beatdown-oriented punk bands inspired by the former (Terror, Hatebreed, Earth Crisis and such) then got applied to the modern melodic bands that are more post-hardcore + melodeath than anything directly linked to the originators.

Top
 Profile  
Ill-Starred Son
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:10 pm
Posts: 215
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:50 pm 
 

"There's two sorts of bands borrowing the black/crust moniker (admittedly, I have no fucking idea how the second sort ended up with the association).

There's bands like Dishammer, Malveillance, Martyrdod and such. They're a mashup of BM plus oldschool crust and/or hardcore. Then there's the more atmospheric bands tied into the 'neocrust' movement. When they're actual BM + punk crossovers and not just a guilt-by-association thing based off one or two similarities, they tend to be atmospheric/post-black/blackgaze/etc + post-hardcore, emo or the less frantic forms of screamo.

Two very different camps sharing the same name. Which is kind of fitting, considering how the exact same thing has happened to both metalcore and post-hardcore in the past.

edit: Converge aren't really an example of post-harcore or (modern) metalcore. They're a pretty good example of how the term metalcore has shifted over the years though - it started out meaning punk bands that folded a lot of the harsher thrash influences back into hardcore (Converge, Integrity, other bands that are now lumped into the 'metallic hardcore' spectrum), shifted a bit to mean the beatdown-oriented punk bands inspired by the former (Terror, Hatebreed, Earth Crisis and such) then got applied to the modern melodic bands that are more post-hardcore + melodeath than anything directly linked to the originators.[/quote]"



Sounds like most of the blackened-crust I like is the first kind: Dishammer, Disfear, Skitsystem, Martyrdod, Wolvhammer, newer Darkthrone, The Beyond (kind of crossover thrash-punk D.R.I. meets black metal stuff), Gallhammer, even Fukpig if you add in the grindcore... etc

So what are examples of this second kind of blackened-crust you are talking about and which one is "REAL" blackened-crust?

Are you talking more about a band like Wolfbrigade?

I like them also but I'll admit, I don't hear ANYTHING "black metal" about them, and I don't even hear as much crust as I'd have expected, and can certainly see how they could be compared to newer metalcore.

And didn't you mean that the FIRST category you mentioned (Dishammer,Martyrdod, Skitsystem, etc) were more actual black metal and crust crossover than guilt by association?

There's a lot of black metal in some of those bands, especially something like Disfear or Wolvhammer at times.

Top
 Profile  
thrashmaniac87
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:58 pm
Posts: 278
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:39 pm 
 

I don't hear any black metal in Disfear. They've been around since the late 80s/early 90s, long before the 2 genres mixed. ANd I just have to mention that A Brutal Sight of War is amazing! And Wolfbrigade is definitely free of black metal as well. They're straight up crusty D-Beat. Whenever I think of crusty black metal I always think of Iskra.
_________________
"Also Nasum isn't grindcore." - Violent_Possessor

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 21  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group