Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:12 am 

Loving 'The Banner' - great rec!

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:39 am 

I kid you not when I first heard that soft intro and then....I AM LEGEND!!! fucking goosebumps all over. The feeling still remains the same despite hearing it ever so often.

Also I'm glad you're enjoying 'em! How about a rec for a rec? :p

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:53 pm 

OK, a bit less crusty and perhaps a bit more sludge but check 'em out: band is '16'

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:27 am 

Thanks! Is it just me or sludge has a tendency to be more hateful than even death & black metal at times? This track is pretty headbangable though. What do you think?

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:25 am 

IamDBR wrote:
Thanks! Is it just me or sludge has a tendency to be more hateful than even death & black metal at times? This track is pretty headbangable though. What do you think?

Spot on, Mate. I find most black metal to be appealing musically (not a fan of the symphonic style) but the vocals turn me off.

Love death metal but same issue in some cases (eg. vocals hard to take seriously).

Sludge with its chugging rhythms and lower pitched (but not constantly growled) vocals just sounds dead evil - in a good way ;)

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:50 am 

Another rec: 'Cowards' - crust / post punk

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:57 am 

Personally, harsh vocals in general are my shit as I'm not too fond of 'clean singing'. I can dig power/heavy metal from time to time, however.

Also check out this new Trap Them track:

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:58 am 

Love everything by Trap Them, great call. Cant wait for their CD to drop! The singles have been amazing!

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:04 am 

What do you think about these guys (and gal):

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:16 am 

Love Oathbreaker's sound - they nail that sludgy, crusty vibe I'm hooked on!

tentacleterror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:21 am 

When it comes to crusty sludge there can only be one!
I vote for this: Counterblast - Balance of Pain album from 1996, G-anx members!

Finally friday! Now i'm gonna drown myself in the wonders of Japanese Hardcore starting with this: Paintbox

Paintbox will blow your minds! One of a kind band.
Not all songs sounds like these two, some are even smoother, some are fast raging hardcore japanese style, awesome stuff!
The Relics compilations has all the 7" EPs (not on youtube)
If Hardcore folk rock blues is thing this is it.

Due to the lack of punk and hardcore bands on MA, i can compile some sort of list with some of the better (well what i think is good anyway) Euro/Jap (the best) bands of the 80's and 90's if anyone is interested. (All styles of punk and hardcore! even some crossover)
Obscure stuff like: Chronic Disease (Belgium)
Heibel (Belgium)
And classics like: Electro Hippies (UK)
Rappresaglia (Italy)

Play very loud! :headbang:

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:50 am 

NbleSavage wrote:
Here're a load of awesome crust punk bands

tentacleterror wrote:
Here's some Japanese Crust

Thank you, these are awesome!
tentacleterror wrote:

Due to the lack of punk and hardcore bands on MA, i can compile some sort of list with some of the better (well what i think is good anyway) Euro/Jap (the best) bands of the 80's and 90's if anyone is interested. (All styles of punk and hardcore! even some crossover)
Obscure stuff like: Chronic Disease (Belgium)
Heibel (Belgium)
And classics like: Electro Hippies (UK)
Rappresaglia (Italy)

Play very loud! :headbang:

Personally, I'd love to see something comparable to MA for punk, hardcore, crossover etc. I love punk as much as metal but it always seems easier to find good metal bands and it's easier to trace who influenced who and what came first with metal, there're a lot of documentaries and the like on metal. So any lists as you suggest would be appreciated by me and I'm sure many others.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:08 pm 

wednesdaysixx wrote:
Personally, I'd love to see something comparable to MA for punk, hardcore, crossover etc. I love punk as much as metal but it always seems easier to find good metal bands and it's easier to trace who influenced who and what came first with metal, there're a lot of documentaries and the like on metal. So any lists as you suggest would be appreciated by me and I'm sure many others.

There is an upcoming grindcore documentary called "Slave to the Grind". So maybe the metal/punk gods have (kind of) granted your wish. :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmmaKl3gsbw

Edit: Check out the related videos too, some rad stories in there!

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:58 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
wednesdaysixx wrote:

There is an upcoming grindcore documentary called "Slave to the Grind". So maybe the metal/punk gods have (kind of) granted your wish. :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmmaKl3gsbw

Edit: Check out the related videos too, some rad stories in there!

Haven't there been things for that for a while or didn't that come out a while ago? I feel as if I've seen that video before or heard of it before...

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:32 pm 

Some Swedish Crust! Voidfiller

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:42 am 

wednesdaysixx wrote:
Haven't there been things for that for a while or didn't that come out a while ago? I feel as if I've seen that video before or heard of it before...

Last I checked, their kickstarter was at 19K+ and the dude in that trailer/promo thing claimed they needed 12K to start. Here is what he had to say, dated Sep 7, 2016:

Hello folks,

We have been busy. We have done interviews with Unholy Grave, Discordance Axis, More member of Napalm Death, and a few unique voices from non-musicians...

Canada Postal services has been unreliable due to a potential strike these past few months. It has resolved so the DIY Pack should be mailing out in the next week or two.

Thank you all for your support. I have realized the true potential of working with an underground community. I have had people helping from all around the world and it amazing to see such kind, positive reactions from everyone.

Please stay in touch,

[email protected]

-Doug Brown

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:52 pm 

thrashcore is something very old actually. Thrashcore is what DRI played on their first 2 records. Its basically fast american hardcore punk. Its where thrash metal got its name from.
Fastcore is basically powerviolence without the bizarre shifts.

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:37 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
thrashcore is something very old actually. Thrashcore is what DRI played on their first 2 records. Its basically fast american hardcore punk. Its where thrash metal got its name from.
Fastcore is basically powerviolence without the bizarre shifts.

I know I'm still new to powerviolence, but all the stuff I've heard, to my ears, just sounds like borderline grindcore, or just hardcore punk. What is it that is unique to powerviolence or makes it different or is it something to do with an era or a scene or a movement that distinguishes it from other subgenres?

EDIT to save double posting: @IamDBR Yeah, I just checked, I was already following them on Facebook and that video was posted last year. I think I saw a post on their Facebook page saying they plan on the film coming out properly next year.

tentacleterror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:53 am 

Ok i'm gonna start with some German bands. I will also include some bands from Austria.
Not in any specific order. Tried to find some youtube links for all, most have one, some do not.
Also included their Discogs page.

Spoiler: show
SM-70 Discogs
Über Dem Jensei 7" EP (1986)
Fast stuff from the mid 80's.

Pink Flamingos Discogs
Poppin' Eye Effect 7" EP (1996)
This is the continuation of SM-70 during the early to mid 90's, Don't be fooled by the cover, Fastcore stuff!

Luzifers Mob Discogs
Self Titled 7" EP (1993)
This is truly one of the gems of underground German hardcore, one of the best!

Accion Mutante Discogs
Decade of Decadence (Discography CD) (2005)
Brutal crust since 1994!

Basalt Discogs
Self Titled LP (2002)
Went under the name Noiseslaughter between the late 80's up to 1996 i think. Crusty, grinding hardcore!

Chronical Diarrhoea Discogs
First song off Abstract Carnage 7" EP (1989)
Crossover!, these guys are on MA. The song Go Slow is not slow by any means.

Cold World Discogs
So Far So Fast (Collection CD) (1993)
Hyperspeed hardcore from Austria. The So Far So Fast CD collects their first LP, demo, and some EPs from the late 80's/early 90's

Crude B.E. Discogs
Crude side of 12" Split with Radio Schizo
Female/male dual vocal fastcore attack!

Das Krill Discogs
No songs really on youtube, fast stuff! Have 1 album called "Revolution Through Education" From 2004

Dead Kaspar Hausers Discogs
Shitty collection of songs on youtube, mostly ones where DKH covers Doom, Extreme Noise Terror etc.
Released a excellent 12" called Yo Como Mi Cara in 2005
Raw crust!

Dreschflegel Discogs
From the 7" Split with Mass Genocide Process (2003)
Another Austrian band that play fast! Some members of this band went to Ruidosa Inmundicia (Killer latino influenced hardcore punk, female vocals)

100% Gore Beat/Seuchenherd [url)https://www.discogs.com/artist/2710583-100-Gore-Beat]100% Gore Beat (discogs)[/url] / Seuchenherd (discogs)
Splatterdoom song from 7" Split with Full Noise Nine (1997)
Called 100% Gore Beat on the first 7" Split (i think they forgot to put their name on the cover), only released 1 other 7" EP as Seuchenherd.
Awesome stuff!

Bizarre X Discogs
Bizarre side of 7" Split with Kent Brockman (2002)
The German Godstomper more or less, Bass and drums only, very lo-fi.
Fun fact: The intro on that split is also used by Metal Duck on one of their demos (fast UK crossover from the 80's)

Extrem Discogs
Extrem side of Split LP with Mickeyman (1983)
The drummer from Cold World used to play in this band, active during 1979-1991! Old Austrian hardcore band.

Extreme Napalm Terror Discogs
Side A of Impulse to Destroy LP (1990)
Improv. madness!

Flächenbrand Discogs
First song from their Discography CD (2004)
When people from 3 of the giants of the German scene join forces (W.B.I., Necrophiliacs and Yacopsae) This is the result.
Let's Go Berserk!

Gomorrha Discogs
Did not find any songs on youtube, only by this other German band with the same name (prog-rock from the 70's i guess)
As Good As Dead is a fine album by this Gomorrha, Deathgrinding fury!

Incisive Discogs
Found nothing on youtube.
Grindcore! Did 2 superb splits with fellow germans Necrophiliacs and Spanish Psychotic Noise.

Inner Conflict Discogs
Bandcamp
Dual female/male vocals, fast punk! All the LPs can be downloaded for free from their bandcamp.

Instinct Of Survival Discogs
8th song from their North of Nowhere album (2009)
Started as a typical Napalm Death worship band, changed style into very heavy and metalized crust (Stenchcore?)

K.S.K. (Kettensägenkommando) Discogs
Bouncecore From Tha Hood (2011)
This is the sound of German fastcore! If stuff like Flächenbrand, Yacopsae is your thing, and so is this probably.
Features Ölaf from W.B.I. & Flächenbrand!

Kent Brockman Discogs
Discography CD (2004)
More German fastcore in the school of Yacopsae.

Kobra Khan Discogs
One random song off A Retrospective of Frantic and Spastic Melody Tape
Powerviolence/screamo or something i guess.

Damn this took more time than i expected, will continue with some more Germans later.
This will do for the time being, lots of killer hardcore here!
Oh and stuff like Fastcore, Ultracore, Turbocore etc. are just descriptions of what style of hardcore, and not really sub-genres.
Fastcore just means it's fast hardcore. Some call it Hardcore Thrash!

Play extremely loud! :-D

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:25 am 

Fawkin' aye Tentacle Terror!! Cheers for the list!!

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:41 am 

wednesdaysixx wrote:
I know I'm still new to powerviolence, but all the stuff I've heard, to my ears, just sounds like borderline grindcore, or just hardcore punk. What is it that is unique to powerviolence or makes it different or is it something to do with an era or a scene or a movement that distinguishes it from other subgenres?

EDIT to save double posting: @IamDBR Yeah, I just checked, I was already following them on Facebook and that video was posted last year. I think I saw a post on their Facebook page saying they plan on the film coming out properly next year.

well there is a lot of overlap in sound between both genres. The difference however is that powerviolence material does not have the grinding riffs but instead plays american style hardcore riffs very fast with heavy distortion. This is coupled with having a lot of abrupt tempo shifts. Grindcore is much more smooth song structure wise. Furthermore grindcore has a lot more crust punk influence. Now fastcore is kind of the middle ground between thrashcore, powerviolence and grindcore. It leaves out the tempo shifts, keeps the fast american hardcore riffs of powerviolence and the extreme vocals of PV and grind.

this is a reasonable example of fairly pure even if its a bit on the death metal side of grind but it also shows the crust/d-beat influence common in grind as well.

another example

Now powerviolence

You can hear its a bit more chaotic and all over the place and more pure hardcore.

This one shows of the restless and chaos in powerviolence quite well.

in recent times there also has been an emergence of more light hearted "party" powerviolence. This also shows very well a common vocal style in PV right at the start of the song.

wednesdaysixx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:27 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
wednesdaysixx wrote:

well there is a lot of overlap in sound between both genres. The difference however is that powerviolence material does not have the grinding riffs but instead plays american style hardcore riffs very fast with heavy distortion. This is coupled with having a lot of abrupt tempo shifts. Grindcore is much more smooth song structure wise. Furthermore grindcore has a lot more crust punk influence. Now fastcore is kind of the middle ground between thrashcore, powerviolence and grindcore. It leaves out the tempo shifts, keeps the fast american hardcore riffs of powerviolence and the extreme vocals of PV and grind.

this is a reasonable example of fairly pure even if its a bit on the death metal side of grind but it also shows the crust/d-beat influence common in grind as well.

another example

Now powerviolence

You can hear its a bit more chaotic and all over the place and more pure hardcore.

This one shows of the restless and chaos in powerviolence quite well.

in recent times there also has been an emergence of more light hearted "party" powerviolence. This also shows very well a common vocal style in PV right at the start of the song.

So powerviolence is halfway between grindcore and hardcore, with a mixture of tempos and cleaner guitars and vocals than grindcore but rougher than hardcore?
Also, on the Facebook pages for some of these they call themselves grindcore, so are there many bands who self-identify as powerviolence?

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:23 pm 

Blackened crust / grind: Funeral Chic

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:06 am 

wednesdaysixx wrote:
So powerviolence is halfway between grindcore and hardcore, with a mixture of tempos and cleaner guitars and vocals than grindcore but rougher than hardcore?
Also, on the Facebook pages for some of these they call themselves grindcore, so are there many bands who self-identify as powerviolence?

no powerviolence is not cleaner vocally or playing wise but the playing is more directly american hardcore derived. Just think of FETO by napalm and try to imagine it without the early swans influence and you get a lot closer to powerviolence. There is however a lot of overlap between the scenes, grindcore goes for the nasty brutal sound while PV goes more for the anger as found in classic pissed off hardcore.

Maybe it will also make sense if you compare the more extreme side of american hardcore in the early 80s with that from europe.
Compare say negative approach with the exploited.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:43 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
grindcore goes for the nasty brutal sound while PV goes more for the anger as found in classic pissed off hardcore.

I kind of agree with that.
Grindcore for me is just nonstop blasting & thrash beats (the vanilla variety at least) with maybe some DM influence. PV has grindy blasting sections with slow sludgy hardcore riffs for maximum anger manifestation :p I've also noticed these bands are more chaotic with noticeable usage of dissonance & feedback, random tempo changes etc. As for fastcore, thrashcore & those other -cores, they are much too specific for me & due to my limited knowledge of hardcore I just simplify things.

Imo, this is more of a 'style/scene' thing than a genre thing, what I mean by that is how NY DM was/is considered different from Florida DM or Swedish DM, for that matter, all the while still falling under the tag death metal despite distinct overall sounds. PV is a term that was used to describe a particular hardcore/grind scene and later on it was used as a genre descriptor due to its rising popularity so there is that too.

@ NbleSavage: Holy fucking shit! Unadulterated ear-shattering insanity! Huge thanks for this, seriously.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:42 pm 

Upcoming release by Moral Void (Blackened Hardcore/Crust):
https://moralvoid.bandcamp.com/album/upcoming-lp

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:51 pm 

@IamDBR - fawkin' aye! Will be on the look for that CD to drop! Single kicks arse!

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:53 pm 

NbleSavage wrote:
@IamDBR - fawkin' aye! Will be on the look for that CD to drop! Single kicks arse!

Love your unending enthusiasm haha!

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:08 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
NbleSavage wrote:

Love your unending enthusiasm haha!

Cant get enough of this shite! Fuels me through my workouts!

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:26 pm 

Sunlight's Bane (Blackened Grindcore/Hardcore):
https://sunlightsbane.bandcamp.com/releases

Edit: Found another banger on Metal Injection. Click the link for free full album stream.

Negative Thought Process (HM-2 Hardcore/Crust):
http://www.metalinjection.net/av/negati ... bum-stream

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:23 pm 

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:28 am 

NbleSavage wrote:

This is crazy good :headbang:

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:08 am 

Blackened Crust / Grind from ze Germans!!

tentacleterror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:17 am 

Had these in the mail on friday.

Crude SS - Killing For Nothing LP (The 2016 Reissue not on blue but on black vinyl?, unless i got the 2013 reissue)
Old Swedish band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fn3tZMEXJE

Sow Threat - Self titled 7" https://sowthreat.bandcamp.com/
Hell yeah, japanese hardcore! Fast and noisy! (This was a suprise from my distro guy, ordered something else that was sold out, got this instead)

Generacion Suicida & Esperanza & Solpäätos - Roam Over The Land 7" (2016) (this is not on the tube as far as i know)
https://www.discogs.com/Generacion-Suicida-Esperanza-14-Solp%C3%A4%C3%A4tos-Roam-Over-The-Land/release/8757842
Crazy release! Generacion Suicide comes from the US but sings in Spanish, Esperanza hail from Japan but sing in English/Spanish
And finally Solpäätos who also hail from Japan but sings in Finnish!!
Generacion Suicide is some real cool stuff: https://generacionsuicida.bandcamp.com/album/todo-termina

Punk/hardcore to the max! I Also got this: Drux & Veuve S.S. 7" split (2016), but i have never heard any of these bands before so i have no idea if it's good or not. (A German and a French band) On red vinyl with a big hole in the middle.

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:30 pm 

Crust from Texas, USA - Deadly Reign!

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:09 am 

Fall of Efrafa - Elil (Neocrust/Melodic Crust)

Less about kicking the listener in the nuts and more about 'feels' and introspection, something a bit different:

Also, that Deadly Reign slays!

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:23 am 

@IamDBR - FoE was intense! Not in a "workout playlist" kind of way, but to just kick back, dim the lights and experience it kind of way. Great stuff!

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:57 pm 

Lies!!

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:48 am 

Aww HELL YESSSS!!!! The new 'Trap Them' CD has dropped!! And it RIPS!!!!!!!!!!

bensabre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:38 pm 

NbleSavage wrote:
Aww HELL YESSSS!!!! The new 'Trap Them' CD has dropped!! And it RIPS!!!!!!!!!!

I checked it. So far it's much better than Blissfucker but not as good as Darker Handcraft.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 39  Next