Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Panzerschreckrieg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:08 am 

I'm looking to get inot some more punk music. The only punk bands I like are Misfits and Bad Brains. I like Bad Brains a lot. I mean a lot. I also like a handful of songs by the Ramones and the Dead Kennedys.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:01 pm 

Panzerschreckrieg wrote:
I'm looking to get inot some more punk music. The only punk bands I like are Misfits and Bad Brains. I like Bad Brains a lot. I mean a lot. I also like a handful of songs by the Ramones and the Dead Kennedys.

Some basic recommendations i can give are:
Fear, Minor Threat, Discharge, Doom, Amebix, Spazz, the exploited.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:07 pm 

How about Social D?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJg269PbkNo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7sUh-DX7I0

The Lillingtons are pretty cool, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puxDKu-PVKo

Here's some ska punk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLfStzyJlDI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De75pN5g4sc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmQQDjTsZSs

Hykez
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:35 pm 

Panzerschreckrieg wrote:

If you liked the Ramones, probably you'll like The Descendents and Bad Religion... on the more hardcore side (Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys), check Minor Threat, Circle Jerks and Black Flag.

If you like the first bands the best, check melodic hardcore and skate punk, if the hardcore ones, go to more metal-influenced punk (crossover, power violence, a little bit of screamo maybe). The Misfits is a strange band, they are big influences on both sides.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:26 pm 

Hi all!
I don't know well what genre is, but i recently discovered Converge's music and i found out that i really like them (in particular the albums "Axe to Fall" and "No Heroes") more specifically i'm a fan of the inventive guitar playing and the high energy that permeates those records

...anybody here knows a band that has a sound similar to those discs? I don't mind if they are more melodic, raw or experimental

thanks in advance!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:50 pm 

I can't stop listening to Die Kreuzen's self titled. It's flawless. Like a young Voivod playing the fastest Bad Brains stuff.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:13 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Hi all!
I don't know well what genre is, but i recently discovered Converge's music and i found out that i really like them (in particular the albums "Axe to Fall" and "No Heroes") more specifically i'm a fan of the inventive guitar playing and the high energy that permeates those records

...anybody here knows a band that has a sound similar to those discs? I don't mind if they are more melodic, raw or experimental

thanks in advance!

check out coilguns, unbroken, integrity, all pigs must die, gaza, oathbreaker, column of heaven.
a bit all over the place but they all have a thing or so in common.

MouthBreather
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:29 am 

I really liked the album Lightless Walk by Cult Leader. I also love Gaza and Yautja a lot too.

What are some bands which are closest to sounding like Yautja, Nails, Cult Leader, Nails? I am looking for some modern ones.

~Guest 268919
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:54 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Hi all!

thanks in advance!

Try Baptists. Excellent high energy stuff and very impressive drumming.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:11 am 

MouthBreather wrote:
I really liked the album Lightless Walk by Cult Leader. I also love Gaza and Yautja a lot too.

What are some bands which are closest to sounding like Yautja, Nails, Cult Leader, Nails? I am looking for some modern ones.

Check out Implore, Magrudergrind, column of heaven, weekend nachos, the afternoon gentlemen, uxdxsx and california love

MouthBreather
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:34 pm 

tomcat_ha wrote:
MouthBreather wrote:

Check out Implore, Magrudergrind, column of heaven, weekend nachos, the afternoon gentlemen, uxdxsx and california love

Thanks, I love Magrudergrind and Weekend Nachos. Implore and Column of Heaven are new to me and they are really good.

djcampblood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:12 am 

Any good metallic crust or crust/metal hybrids along the lines of Resistant Culture?

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:38 am 

djcampblood wrote:
Any good metallic crust or crust/metal hybrids along the lines of Resistant Culture?

Audio Kollaps:

Nausea:

Disgust:

Wolfbrigade:

Behind Enemy Lines:

djcampblood
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:57 pm 

Appreciate the feedback, televiper11. I've heard everyone except Audio Kollaps, and they sound good, I'll definitely look into them further. I guess I need to find some more obscure stuff at this point, because my collection is huge and I'm having trouble finding new bands in this genre that I love.

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:44 pm 

Can't really go wrong with Audio Kollaps. And hard to know what's considered obscure anymore considering how easily on hand almost all music is now.

Have you checked out Trenchgrinder?
https://trenchgrinder.bandcamp.com/album/demo-2015

Or Stormcrow?
https://stormcrow.bandcamp.com/album/st ... m-split-cd

Nocona
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:05 pm 

I really enjoyed listening to Lethe! Thanks!

Reminded me alot of Witherandrot excellent crust/black metal band:

https://witherandrot.bandcamp.com/

There's alot of shitty post-hardcore out there in my opinion but there's 1 band that I especially like and is pretty unique and very experimental called Locktender. At first I didn't like the vocals though but after listening to it a second time I loved them! Instrumentally they're awesome, hard yet beautiful. I believe they're touring USA with Lentic Waters next year.

https://locktender.bandcamp.com/album/kafka

And let me introduce you to Siphilisation, a Post-crust/doom/whatever band with violin! Great atmosphere!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X88ng2liqT0

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:53 pm 

djcampblood wrote:

Have you heard Saw Throat? It's Sore Throat playing Amebix/Axegrinder style Crust.

untappd: patrick_g

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:09 pm 

Seconding Nausea, Wolfbrigade and Behind Enemy Lines. Easily three of my favourite crust bands.

Recently discovered Filth of Mankind, easily some of the best crust I've heard in a while. A dangerous, standoffish approach to crust with a bit of unsettling atmosphere and awesome war-like drumming. It's definitely very metallic, both in riffs and atmosphere (honestly kind of surprised they're not on the archives).

IcyScythe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:24 am 

Someone recommend me some stuff like this please:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBbtoq0iMnA

Hykez
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:17 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Hi all!

thanks in advance!

Maybe The Chariot and Shai Hulud? Very mathy hardcore bands. Outside the mathcore sphere, there's also Have Heart.

EDIT: oh, and Dillinger Escape Plan. They are probably the most popular band in mathcore, very strange and distinctive guitar sound.

IcyScythe wrote:
Someone recommend me some stuff like this please:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBbtoq0iMnA

This should be in the thrash metal thread... but try Nervosa.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:16 am 

Just popped in to say that Living in Darkness by Agent Orange is phenomenal. Xmas gift from a buddy and I'm loving it.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:31 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Just popped in to say that Living in Darkness by Agent Orange is phenomenal. Xmas gift from a buddy and I'm loving it.

That's one of my all time favorites. Too bad their second album doesn't even come close to matching it.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:28 am 

Right? It's a stone cold classic. I haven't heard anything else by them. Even this is brand new to me.

BLOOD STAINS! SPEED KILLS!
FAST CARS! CHEAP THRILLS!

Mrnasher92
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:54 pm 

Looking for some good street punk any recs ?

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:25 pm 

Mrnasher92 wrote:

No such thing, good buddy.

The Kraken
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:58 am 

So are there any good Power violence bands? What should I start with?

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:11 am 

The Kraken wrote:

Charles Bronson, Black Army Jacket, Man is the Bastard. Can't say I'd recommend any particular releases over the others, PV discographies tend to be kinda scattershot. Powerviolence tends to be a very live-oriented thing - you won't get the full energy of it from videos, but it's still probably the best way to get an idea of what it is and if you like it or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_N4jvjx-l8

Mrnasher92
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:29 am 

Well i am looking to get into punk a bit more so any recs would be good but i do know a few of the big names

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:01 am 

Capitalist Casualties, Infest, Endless Blockades, California love, Nails and The Afternoon gentlemen should also be mentioned when it comes to PV.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:48 am 

So, ignore all those cookie-cutter recommendations. Everything you need in powerviolence is contained in these two beautiful releases:

None of that happy-slappy bullshit. This is the sound of pure pain and frustration, hapless drug abuse and hopeless hatred, channeled into bursts of punk fury.

Plagued
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:27 pm 

Also make sure to check out Lack Of Interest, actually one of my favourite PV bands.

And also make sure to check out Weekend Nachos, who are really good as well. Maybe not pure-blood Powerviolence, but really good nonetheless.

The Kraken
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:19 pm 

Zodijackyl wrote:
The Kraken wrote:

Charles Bronson, Black Army Jacket, Man is the Bastard. Can't say I'd recommend any particular releases over the others, PV discographies tend to be kinda scattershot. Powerviolence tends to be a very live-oriented thing - you won't get the full energy of it from videos, but it's still probably the best way to get an idea of what it is and if you like it or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_N4jvjx-l8

Yeah I listen to Man is the Bastard but I always thought that was grindcore.

Hykez
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:27 pm 

Mrnasher92 wrote:

I guess Garotos Podres is the only band labelled as street punk/oi! that I listen to, so check 'em.

Mrnasher92 wrote:
Well i am looking to get into punk a bit more so any recs would be good but i do know a few of the big names

What are the ones you like? It's easier to rec something to you knowing what kind of bands you already listens to, but here, take a few random ones from my playlist: NOFX, Descendents, Bad Religion, Bad Cop/Bad Cop.

Also, I'm looking for different bands inside the "pop punk" spectrum (skate punk, melocore and ska included) besides the most popular bands and the Epitaph/Fat Wreck roasters. I'm talking about local bands and stuff, any recs?

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:27 am 

Looking for some melodic/depressive crust with black metal influences and not many d-beats.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:40 pm 

The Kraken wrote:

I'm relatively new to this kinda stuff too, but I feel like Yacopsae is close enough to powerviolence that it might be worth checking out. I'm probably wrong though so you should definitely ignore this.

On the same subject, any recs that sounds as close as possible to Nails? Already heard All Pigs must Die, Trap Them, and Dead in the Dirt. Basically anything that's the musical equivalence of chewing glass while punching a brick wall.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:31 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
On the same subject, any recs that sounds as close as possible to Nails? Already heard All Pigs must Die, Trap Them, and Dead in the Dirt. Basically anything that's the musical equivalence of chewing glass while punching a brick wall.

Implore, trap them and the secret comes to mind.

omnishadow wrote:
Looking for some melodic/depressive crust with black metal influences and not many d-beats.

most melodic crust tends to be quite d-beaty.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:53 pm 

Yeah I know, I don't have any problems with it, in fact I love it, specially in my swedeath, but many crust bands overuse it to my taste. I know some metallic crust bands that almost don't use it but none that fits the criterias above mentioned.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:23 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:

Implore are badass, this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks man.

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:04 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:

omnishadow wrote:

most melodic crust tends to be quite d-beaty.

Check out Victims for another option.

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:11 am 

Really enjoying Baptists, in particular love the sound of 'Bachelor Degree Burn'.

Any more recs in this same vein?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 39  Next