Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:53 pm 

Trap Them's newest CD has some real piss & vinegar to it as well, Mate.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:27 am 

Yeah I really liked that, had completely forgot it existed. Thanks for the reminder!

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:28 am 

IamDBR wrote:
Most pissed off hardcore/pv you know about? Getting a bit tired of tech death as of late. Basically looking for stuff like Gaza, Cult Leader, Nails, Converge & Torch Runner.

A few suggestions mostly older stuff, you may already know some of these and some are perhaps less on point than others:

Acme - ...To Reduce the Choir to One Soloist. Dark ultra pissed metalcore from germany, can hear their influence in stuff like Crowpath, Shora, Nostromo etc... check out Carol if you dig it.
His Hero is Gone - Powerful and influential crust/sludge core.
Despise You - Very angry grindy PV, used to feature members of Excruciating Terror so heavy and pissed.
Infest + Crossed Out - both = raw and ultra pissed PV.
Integrity - Old-school apocalyptic metallic hardcore, early stuff is best but all decent and very pissed off.
Unruh - Misery Strengthened Faith, great mix of crusty grindy sludgy metalic punk
Coalesce - Churning dissonant metalcore, the Give Them Rope album in particular, early GAZA sounds like a mix of this with the later Functioning on Impatience record.
Deadguy - Fixation on a Coworker, pissed off noisy math/metalcore like Converge, Botch etc...
Kiss it Goodbye - Later band of members of Deadguy/Rorschach dissonant, sludgy and very angry.
Cursed - Excellent doomy hardcore the One album is my personal favourite.
Turmoil - The process of... pissed of metallic hardcore, kinda overlooked.
Thoughts of Ionesco - ...and Then There Was Motion. Quite unknown band really angry chaotic noisy shit.
The Secret - From Italy first LP kinda angular Botchy shit, later stuff increasingly dark and grimy ala NAILS.
Cattlepress - Weird dirty and noisy metallic post-hardcore, Hordes to Abolish the Divine is incredible mix of Neurosis, Breach and Kiss It Goodbye and very angry, similar vibe as GAZA imo.
Koreisch - short-lived noise, grind, PV abomination from the UK, something like Abnegation, Narcosis (also great) mixed with GASP one of the nastiest and most twisted things I have come across.
Army of Flying Robots - Really overlooked UK noisy hardcore/grind unit good stuff.

The wider H8000 and Holyterror scenes spawned some seriously pissed of stuff, stuff like Liar, Congress, Arkangel, Ironside, Kickback (at a stretch) and Integrity, Ringworm, Gehenna, Catharsis, Pale Creation respectively.
Also a long shot but No Trend - Too many humans is seriously angry, snotty and dejected shit; however, this is noisy old Flipper style stuff, so abrasive but not in the modern sense.
Hopefully something in there will suffice.

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:42 am 

@HayisforHorses - amazing list, Mate! I'd not heard of most of these bands, will definitely give 'em a lookie!

Any similar sounding bands from the modern era that you might suggest as well?

Cheers!

- Savage

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:24 am 

Awesome list, will be checking all of these. Thanks a bunch mate!

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:30 am 

NbleSavage wrote:
@HayisforHorses - amazing list, Mate! I'd not heard of most of these bands, will definitely give 'em a lookie!

Any similar sounding bands from the modern era that you might suggest as well?

No problem hopefully something in there you will dig. I have to admit I have fallen behind with newer stuff besides the obvious stuff like Trap Them, Nails, Code Orange and the general Deathwish bands.

Couple that spring to mind:
Extortion - been around a while now but tight ultra pissed PV from Australia
Throats - UK very Converge inspired, hardly recent and split a while back.
Oblivionized & Evisorax - Both from the UK and both grindy but spastic and noisy.
IDYLLS - probably would fit the previous rec. noisy angular weird and intense.
Spurn (can)- Once again grindy but pissed, dissonant and intense.
Piss Vortex - Grindy but more sorta mathcore influenced, again intense.

A couple of older ones again I could have mentioned, that sort of fall into the older screamo and emo-violence style (yep stupid genre name) but good and pissed off:
Pageninetynine - Angry melting pot of punk/hardcore/emo with some grind influence, their albums Document #5, #7 and #8 are great
Forcefedglass - ben koller of Converge used to drum for these guys, basically a kind of noisy spastic take on PV with a weirdly violent sound.
If you like that last one you could also try Usurp Synapse - kind of mix noise and grind/pv ala Locust/Daughters/Arab on Radar.

Last edited by Hayisforhorses on Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:03 pm 

bremen metalcore rules in general. Not a very well known scene but i like all the bands ive heard, from morser to acme to carol to what else not.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:38 pm 

Unfortunate that many of the early groups were so shortlived especially Acme and Carol (the prefabricated 7" was so good) and one band that doesnt get enough love is Dawnbreed. Shame that besides some gravity shit like angel hair and a few Geneve acts like knut and shora not much has had the same sort of vibe.

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:24 am 

Hayisforhorses wrote:
Thoughts of Ionesco - ...and Then There Was Motion. Quite unknown band really angry chaotic noisy shit.

The band had a cult following when they were around and were known nationally in the U.S. I caught them live a number times which could either be great or horrible depending on whether they had an "off" or "on" night. None of their studio recordings really capture that though.I actually think the album you referenced is the worst one they did. I'd suggest the group's next album "A Skin Historic" as a much better entry point.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:06 am 

cvac wrote:
Hayisforhorses wrote:

The band had a cult following when they were around and were known nationally in the U.S. I caught them live a number times which could either be great or horrible depending on whether they had an "off" or "on" night. None of their studio recordings really capture that though.I actually think the album you referenced is the worst one they did. I'd suggest the group's next album "A Skin Historic" as a much better entry point.

Interesting I know they have a cult following but anytime i mention these guys even to people with an interest in this kind of stuff nobody has even heard of them. Id say those two albums are my favourites but I honestly prefer the debut, each to their own i guess.

cvac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:35 pm 

Hayisforhorses wrote:
Interesting I know they have a cult following but anytime i mention these guys even to people with an interest in this kind of stuff nobody has even heard of them. Id say those two albums are my favourites but I honestly prefer the debut, each to their own i guess.

The debut is interesting but gets monotonous. I've gone back and forth on it over the years. The 3rd and 4th albums are much better IMHO. Anyone into hardcore during the mid-90s and living in the U.S. would've probably at least heard of TOI. I can't speak to their reputation in Europe or other places, but they were decently represented in all the major U.S. hardcore distro catalogs of the time and zines with decent circulation. If you weren't there at the time, it would make sense that you might not know them as AFAIK, all the labels that put their stuff out at the time are now out of business. Not sure what kind of digital circulation they have or whatever.

Hayisforhorses
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:04 am 

I dont recall them being all that well known in the UK at least at the time, I dont even recall when I first heard of them but I remember you could find them in a good number of distros especially on the continent at the time. Perhaps unknown was the wrong word, maybe overlooked would be more fitting at least today anyway.
I totally get the monotonous comment it's cerainly more one dimensional than their other records, thats kind of what I like about it but then again I like Last Days of Humanity for much the same reason so my opinion is probably moot :)

tentacleterror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:49 pm 

This might qualify as pissed off hardcore, maybe even chaotic.
Sairaat Mielet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qIqsa9R6Ok

And some D-beat hardcore i found recently, same vocal style as Accion Mutante!
For those who enjoy Mutilated Veterans, Massgrave, and Accion Mutante of course.
https://seitan.bandcamp.com/

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:42 pm 

So local black/crust band nuclear devastation released their first album.
https://nucleardevastation.bandcamp.com Its quite decent. Interesting part is how the drummer lemmy is actually playing very restrained compared to how he drums in all the other bands he plays in.

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:01 pm 

The new Martyrdöd has dropped...and it fawkin' rips...

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:43 pm 

NbleSavage wrote:

It's been a while since I've listened to crust, this is scratching that itch again.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:25 pm 

NbleSavage wrote:

Neat. I'ma get on that in a minute.

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:09 am 

Nails & Full of Hell dropped a killer split

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:38 am 

NbleSavage wrote:

"Split", "4:24" :lol:
Good shit nonetheless, I hope they collaborate more.

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:16 am 

IamDBR wrote:
NbleSavage wrote:

"Split", "4:24" :lol:
Good shit nonetheless, I hope they collaborate more.

IKR?!? More like "hey we've got like 6 mins of studio time leftover...you guys wanna hang?"

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:28 am 

NbleSavage wrote:
IKR?!? More like "hey we've got like 6 mins of studio time leftover...you guys wanna hang?"

Haha, I can totally picture that. Then again we are talking about grindcore/pv here, "no fucks given" is just the way these bands operate.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:37 pm 

NbleSavage wrote:

The leads in this album are ridiculously good.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:42 pm 

I listened to the new Halshug yesterday, its quite good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VPi4DxfpzA

tentacleterror
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:18 am 

New Kriegshög EP is out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfXQZ9hdhCY
I have not heard this one yet (waiting for my copy) but i think it's a good one.
According to that youtube comment it is the best EP of 2016.

Japanese hardcore is rarely bad.

bensabre
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:42 am 

Just found out about JACKSON FIGHT. And this is great!!! Original PV/HC. The vocals are different not in a bad way. A lot of metal riffs. I love it.
https://jacksonfight.bandcamp.com/releases

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:53 am 

bensabre wrote:
Just found out about JACKSON FIGHT. And this is great!!! Original PV/HC. The vocals are different not in a bad way. A lot of metal riffs. I love it.
https://jacksonfight.bandcamp.com/releases

LOL@ the Ep title too :) "I Believe I Can Fight"

Nice find, Mate!

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:44 pm 

I am really enjoying this. https://angstnoise.bandcamp.com/album/moloch I don't know if the vocals are totally blackened but it is excellent.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:12 pm 

listened to the sick/tired / sea of shit split today

its quite good.

yeah that ancst band is quite good. Saw them live last year the vocalist talks too much though!

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:23 am 

thewrll wrote:
I am really enjoying this. https://angstnoise.bandcamp.com/album/moloch I don't know if the vocals are totally blackened but it is excellent.

I thought I was the only one who had heard of these guys, turns out they have quite a decent following. Anyways, awesome melodies, aggressive vocals & very proficient drumming. Really enjoyed it back when I first heard it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do guys think about the new Code Orange?

Last edited by IamDBR on Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:24 am 

LOVE Code Orange.

(Moloch too ;) )

Any recent releases that have caught peoples ear? The new Whores CD 'Gold' isn't bad

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:13 pm 

Anyone else here dig Guided Cradle? Killer d-beat crust!

https://underground-movement.bandcamp.c ... ot-survive

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:15 pm 

The latest Deathraid LP is pretty good. It kind of has an early Inepsy vibe.

I listen to Guided Cradle. I have one album on vinyl and that 2 CD set although it's been a while since I've listened to them.

untappd: patrick_g

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:09 pm 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:

I listen to Guided Cradle. I have one album on vinyl and that 2 CD set although it's been a while since I've listened to them.

Aye, Mate - you have the name of this Deathraid LP? All I can find is their 2010 release 'All Life Ends'

Cheers,

- Savage

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:17 pm 

televiper11 wrote:
Anyone else here dig Guided Cradle? Killer d-beat crust!

https://underground-movement.bandcamp.c ... ot-survive

This is some killer shit, thanks for sharing!

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:16 pm 

NbleSavage wrote:
thrashmaniac87 wrote:

Aye, Mate - you have the name of this Deathraid LP? All I can find is their 2010 release 'All Life Ends'

Cheers,

- Savage

It's called Eternal Slumber. There was hardly any promotion other than a small tour so I think it went under a lot of peoples radar.

NbleSavage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:04 pm 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:
It's called Eternal Slumber. There was hardly any promotion other than a small tour so I think it went under a lot of peoples radar.

Fawkin' Aye! Found some tracks on Soundcloud - they rip!

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:22 pm 

thrashmaniac87 wrote:

They're one of my favorite Seattle bands, I loved seeing them while I was still living up North. I'm gonna have to check this out.

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:27 pm 

For anyone interested in Deathraid I highly recommend their split with Sweden's Desperat.

thewrll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:30 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
thewrll wrote:

I thought I was the only one who had heard of these guys, turns out they have quite a decent following. Anyways, awesome melodies, aggressive vocals & very proficient drumming. Really enjoyed it back when I first heard it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do guys think about the new Code Orange?

Yeah I stumbled upon the album and right now it's in my top 20. Really amazing stuff. Ever since I heard Tau Cross last year I have been enjoying blackened crust.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:06 pm 

was listening to this split just now.
a bit of a banger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG_UTosZm8o

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 39  Next