Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 



Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6557
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:39 am 
 

ApparatusUnearth wrote:
I'm really new to black metal.
I'm familiar with Darkthrone, Mayhem, and I know most of the more popular American black metal bands too.

I'm not into symphonic stuff at all.

What would you guys recommend as like absolute must-listens?

Everyone is going to simply tell you their personal favourites and say everyone else's aren't really essential. What did you like the most from Mayhem and Darkthrone? We might be able to help you find something at least slightly similar.

FleshMonolith is right about one band though: don't miss out on Gorgoroth. Don't let the popular opinion tarnish the image of the band. Their first three albums were all masterpieces. I can never understand why some people like Pentagram and Under The Sign of Hell so much more than Antichrist. I consider the sophomore superior to the debut, at least. Being too short is it's biggest issue.

moongoddess666:

That kind of stuff is exactly what I don't listen to much in black metal (aside from Todtgelichter's first two). You might want to check out some German bands like Graupel, Verdunkeln and I especially recommend Malus. If you liked the same things in Belenos that I did, you should check out Arckanum. Start with ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ, then return to some of the earlier albums perhaps. Also check out Mgła, they're extremely hyped here so chances are you'll like it aswell. :P

Ever listened to The Ruins of Beverast?
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
VaeFUCKINGVictus
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:37 pm
Posts: 255
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:20 pm 
 

Hey guys, I'm trying to remember a particular symphonic "black" metal band that was pretty popular a few years ago; over-the-top synths and fast guitarwork, very cheesy songs in general whose covers featured big, colorful space warriors and monsters as the main motif. All of their songs were about epic space battles I believe.

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 5150
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:01 pm 
 

VaeFUCKINGVictus wrote:
Hey guys, I'm trying to remember a particular symphonic "black" metal band that was pretty popular a few years ago; over-the-top synths and fast guitarwork, very cheesy songs in general whose covers featured big, colorful space warriors and monsters as the main motif. All of their songs were about epic space battles I believe.

Bal-Sagoth?
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
John_Sunlight
President Satan

Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:41 am
Posts: 4748
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:39 pm 
 

If it's not them, there's more to fear in the world...
_________________
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

Top
 Profile  
VaeFUCKINGVictus
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:37 pm
Posts: 255
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:05 am 
 

androdion wrote:
VaeFUCKINGVictus wrote:
Hey guys, I'm trying to remember a particular symphonic "black" metal band that was pretty popular a few years ago; over-the-top synths and fast guitarwork, very cheesy songs in general whose covers featured big, colorful space warriors and monsters as the main motif. All of their songs were about epic space battles I believe.

Bal-Sagoth?


YES. Thank you.

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6557
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:32 am 
 

John_Sunlight wrote:
If it's not them, there's more to fear in the world...

:lol: At least we agree on something.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
moongoddess666
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:49 am
Posts: 32
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:52 am 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
ApparatusUnearth wrote:
I'm really new to black metal.
I'm familiar with Darkthrone, Mayhem, and I know most of the more popular American black metal bands too.

I'm not into symphonic stuff at all.

What would you guys recommend as like absolute must-listens?

Everyone is going to simply tell you their personal favourites and say everyone else's aren't really essential. What did you like the most from Mayhem and Darkthrone? We might be able to help you find something at least slightly similar.

FleshMonolith is right about one band though: don't miss out on Gorgoroth. Don't let the popular opinion tarnish the image of the band. Their first three albums were all masterpieces. I can never understand why some people like Pentagram and Under The Sign of Hell so much more than Antichrist. I consider the sophomore superior to the debut, at least. Being too short is it's biggest issue.

moongoddess666:

That kind of stuff is exactly what I don't listen to much in black metal (aside from Todtgelichter's first two). You might want to check out some German bands like Graupel, Verdunkeln and I especially recommend Malus. If you liked the same things in Belenos that I did, you should check out Arckanum. Start with ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ, then return to some of the earlier albums perhaps. Also check out Mgła, they're extremely hyped here so chances are you'll like it aswell. :P

Ever listened to The Ruins of Beverast?



I have Graupel's Am Pranger. Arckanum's ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ and Helvítismyrkr are my two favorite albums by him. I also have Mgla's album Groza. Glad to see someone who likes these bands as well. Checking into Verdunkeln and Malus. Thanks for the recommendations! \m/
_________________
www.last.fm/user/666moongoddess
www.youtube.com/user/666moongoddess

Top
 Profile  
androdion
Metal freak

Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:34 am
Posts: 5150
Location: Portugal
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:44 am 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:
If it's not them, there's more to fear in the world...

:lol: At least we agree on something.

I really laughed when I read John's reply. :D
_________________
ANGST ISST DIE SEELE AUF
androdion@Discogs

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6557
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:15 pm 
 

moongoddess666: Am Pranger is definitely the better album. I didn't like the debut as much, although I may not have given it a decent chance.

If you're into some tastefully avant-gardist stuff, or post-black metal if you will, check out Jumalhämärä. The full-length combines Neurosis-esque anxiety, post-rock atmospherics and sinister black metal style quite delightfully at best.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
VaeFUCKINGVictus
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:37 pm
Posts: 255
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:33 pm 
 

John_Sunlight wrote:
If it's not them, there's more to fear in the world...

HAHA. Yes, I THOUGHT I was in the mood for some extra cheesy metal-I thought I could handle it, alas, I lasted all but one minute.

Top
 Profile  
shouvince
Veteran

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:11 am
Posts: 2830
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:56 pm 
 

Oh man. I cracked up as well at John_Sunlight's remark. Haha :D

Anyway, I have a serious question for those who are avid listeners of Inquisition. I've been gorging on 'Ominous Doctrines' for many months now. I also got into 'Nefarious Dismal Orations', their second last album. I actually didn't have any problems getting into their music and find it highly enjoyable. Maybe, accessible is the word? Anyway, there are three other full lengths of theirs...can someone recommend which one to pick up next and if you can describe how the albums are different, it would be really helpful for me!

Top
 Profile  
Sick6Six
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:01 pm
Posts: 953
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:09 pm 
 

ApparatusUnearth wrote:
I'm really new to black metal.
I'm familiar with Darkthrone, Mayhem, and I know most of the more popular American black metal bands too.

I'm not into symphonic stuff at all.

What would you guys recommend as like absolute must-listens?


MUST listens:

Sargeist - Let the Devil in
Urgehal - Ikonoklast and Goatcraft Torment
Lutomysl - Decadence and everything after
Besatt - Black Mass
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/slowgod666 add me if you wish.

Top
 Profile  
Sick6Six
Metalhead

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:01 pm
Posts: 953
Location: United States
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:23 pm 
 

Dooders wrote:
Wodensthrone are fantastic! Folkvang are good, but they don't fit what I am looking for in this case.
Thanks again.


I'm glad you liked them :headbang:
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/slowgod666 add me if you wish.

Top
 Profile  
c_zar
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:45 am
Posts: 9
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:15 am 
 

shouvince wrote:
can someone recommend which one to pick up next and if you can describe how the albums are different, it would be really helpful for me!


I've been into Inquisition for a while and seen them live and feel that they have never topped, nor matched Invoking the Majestic Throne of Satan. Into the Infernal Regions is their second best--- the albums you know are decent, but a little more oriented toward speed and strange chords, whereas Invoking is pure black hymnal glory, both catchier and moodier. Really better in all ways, but less intense than Ominous & Nefarious.

Top
 Profile  
shouvince
Veteran

Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:11 am
Posts: 2830
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:23 pm 
 

c_zar wrote:
shouvince wrote:
can someone recommend which one to pick up next and if you can describe how the albums are different, it would be really helpful for me!


I've been into Inquisition for a while and seen them live and feel that they have never topped, nor matched Invoking the Majestic Throne of Satan. Into the Infernal Regions is their second best--- the albums you know are decent, but a little more oriented toward speed and strange chords, whereas Invoking is pure black hymnal glory, both catchier and moodier. Really better in all ways, but less intense than Ominous & Nefarious.


Thanks for the brief comparison man. I'll get 'Invoking The Majestic...' as soon as possible.

Top
 Profile  
grauer_mausling
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:00 am
Posts: 1791
Location: Germany
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:31 pm 
 

John_Sunlight wrote:
If it's not them, there's more to fear in the world...


pff, Bal Sagoth totally rules! Their albums from 1996 - 2001 are more than pure gold!
The epitome of epicness. Sublime music. Over the top and the best one can get!

There's a a slight chance I might sound like a fanboy. Possibly I am one :D

Blodu ok Jarna!
_________________
my 80s-90s Picture Tumblr

click to visit my Deviantart-Page for some logo and shirt design work
(contact me if your band needs a new logo or anything design related)

Top
 Profile  
Indoomstrial metle
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:10 pm
Posts: 7
Location: United States
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:26 pm 
 

I'm a fan of Leviathan, anyone know any bands similar to that one?
_________________
Give me metal, or give me deth...
Indoomstrail metle, 1876(seconds ago)

Top
 Profile  
MGSX666
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:26 pm
Posts: 1203
Location: United States
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:26 am 
 

I'm looking for traditionalist black metal with a Pagan spirit and similar production to the last Sargeist or Taake albums. Use of feedback and/or flutes (sparingly though) would be a plus.
_________________
SashaGallant wrote:
Just because I listen to Autopsy doesn't mean I like to go shitting on graves and fucking corpses.
kingnuuuur wrote:
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

Top
 Profile  
STORMM
Veteran

Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:27 am
Posts: 2901
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:36 am 
 

MGSX666 wrote:
I'm looking for traditionalist black metal with a Pagan spirit and similar production to the last Sargeist or Taake albums. Use of feedback and/or flutes (sparingly though) would be a plus.



Maybe Kroda's latest album?

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Kr ... fad/307821

Top
 Profile  
Delduwath
Metal newbie

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:40 pm
Posts: 104
Location: United States of America
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:33 am 
 

Sick6Six wrote:
ApparatusUnearth wrote:
I'm really new to black metal.
I'm familiar with Darkthrone, Mayhem, and I know most of the more popular American black metal bands too.

I'm not into symphonic stuff at all.

What would you guys recommend as like absolute must-listens?


MUST listens:

Urgehal - Ikonoklast and Goatcraft Torment


Seconded.

Top
 Profile  
nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:40 am
Posts: 291
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:26 pm 
 

I'm looking for bands that are similar to Oranssi Pazuzu. I can't find anyone that even comes close to them. I love the whole psychedelic feel of their albums. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Also, I've been playing the album Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite by TROB nonstop the past few days, anything similar to this album also would be appreciated.
_________________
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
You'd think people who would be on a journey to convert those to their beliefs would be a bit less face-rapey about it. Most people don't usually like the face rape.

Top
 Profile  
FleshMonolith
Metalhead

Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:02 am
Posts: 1248
Location: fuck city
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:34 pm 
 

Maybe later Furze? Not as dense as Oranssi. But it's pretty out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi8EmObIvks
_________________
Perpetual Strife

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Top
 Profile  
Panflute
Metalhead

Joined: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:11 am
Posts: 452
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:48 am 
 

When trying to reply to a post and give recommendations, I get this message:

Quote:
Error 404
Page not found

We are sorry, the page index/legacy you were looking for could not be found. Perhaps the entry has been deleted, or is still pending moderation approval.

If you followed a link from an external site, it was most likely out of date. If you followed a link from within the site and believe this is an error, please report the dead URL below immediately. (Make sure to tell us where you clicked to end up on this page.)
posting.php?mode=reply&f=11&t=66086

Thank you for your comprehension.


So uhm, help?
_________________
Black Ivory Tower zine #1 - Interbellum out now!

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6557
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:07 am 
 

nosferatu1234 wrote:
Also, I've been playing the album Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite by TROB nonstop the past few days, anything similar to this album also would be appreciated.

Good luck with that. There's a myriad of names people throw around to similar-to-TROB requests, but no other band I've ever heard comes close to sounding like that. Such varied, sprawling and uniquely bizarre compositions.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:01 pm
Posts: 115
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:40 am 
 

Although not similair but I got the feeling that TROB looked quite a bit to Disembowelment - Transendence into the Peripheral when he made FSoaSE. This is more death/doom but it has (to me) a similair esoteric and churning sense. Long compositions with the occasional otherwordly passage. You probably heard of it already and I cannot name anything black related that sounds like TROB.

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6557
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:07 am 
 

A large amount of TROB's uniqueness comes from Meilenwald's style of melody writing, which Disembowelment obviously lacks. But it's not unlikely that someone who enjoys Foulest Semen will enjoy Disembowelment aswell.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
ketreeh
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:41 am
Posts: 11
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:14 pm 
 

nosferatu1234 wrote:
Also, I've been playing the album Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite by TROB nonstop the past few days, anything similar to this album also would be appreciated.


I guess you have already tried Nagelfar, Verdunkeln, Graupel, Kermania, Ego Noir
Not sure if "Das Leben vor dem Tod" by Simple ExistenZ is what are you looking for, but I am a big fan of Nagelfar and all the others members projects, and I really enjoy this album

Top
 Profile  
nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:40 am
Posts: 291
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:20 pm 
 

Hymnofwolves wrote:
Although not similair but I got the feeling that TROB looked quite a bit to Disembowelment - Transendence into the Peripheral when he made FSoaSE. This is more death/doom but it has (to me) a similair esoteric and churning sense. Long compositions with the occasional otherwordly passage. You probably heard of it already and I cannot name anything black related that sounds like TROB.


Yeah I already know of Disembowelment and absolutely love their album. Thanks for the recommendation anyway. Does anyone know anything about TROB's current status? Anything coming soon?
_________________
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
You'd think people who would be on a journey to convert those to their beliefs would be a bit less face-rapey about it. Most people don't usually like the face rape.

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6557
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:22 pm 
 

Later interviews from von Meilenwald all indicate that he's an extremely busy person, to the point of not having time to practice playing the guitar, so I wouldn't expect anything in a while.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:01 pm
Posts: 115
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:46 pm 
 

He is going to perform live this year as well. One show at roadburn (I will be there!) and one show at deathkult open air. I wonder if more shows will be confirmed.. For the rest I wouldn't know

Top
 Profile  
Fifeldor
Mallcore Kid

Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:29 pm
Posts: 1
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:10 am 
 

Hey all

Due to personal life issues, I've been away from the music for the past 18-24 months. I've been searching for the good (and the best) releases of the past two years lately and obviously this is the right place to ask.

Can you please drop a few bands whose latest releases I should totally check out? I don't care about genre or politics or anything, just good, pure black metal. I'm listening to Natur by Kaevum right now, and I really want to like the music again.

Regards

Top
 Profile  
Ilwhyan
Metel fraek

Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:41 pm
Posts: 6557
Location: Finland
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:58 pm 
 

Fifeldor wrote:
Hey all

Due to personal life issues, I've been away from the music for the past 18-24 months. I've been searching for the good (and the best) releases of the past two years lately and obviously this is the right place to ask.

Can you please drop a few bands whose latest releases I should totally check out? I don't care about genre or politics or anything, just good, pure black metal. I'm listening to Natur by Kaevum right now, and I really want to like the music again.

Regards

Kaevum is pretty good indeed.

Some newer albums in that vein that I enjoyed:

Nattfog - Mustan Auringon Riitti (now, I didn't enjoy this that much, but it's undoubtedly similar to Kaevum)
Tortorum - Exctinctionist (also with tangential similarities to Kaevum, less epic though)
Saligia - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi (no-frills black metal with some pretty anthemic stuff)
Aptorian Demon - Libertus (dark and evil)
Blodhemn - Holmengraa (starts as a little stale, but gets better towards the end)
Charnel Winds - Der Teufelsbund (a little experimental, but with some great traditional tremolo riffs)
Shaidar Logoth - Chapter I: The Peddler (epic and atmospheric, but not the least bit saccharine)

These are all somewhat raw like Kaevum, but there are no overly harsh productions. They may not be melodically similar, but many aim for a certain atmosphere, and all of them value a sense of melody in black metal to some degree, just as Kaevum.

If you really like that melodic stuff... (these are slightly older releases)
Teloch - Descent/Ascend
Sarath - Siste Indre

Again, raw enough not to be obnoxious with those melodies, like Kaevum, but more melodic.

Kadotus released a new album in 2011, Vaienneet Temppelit. Also, Flagellant is coming up with a new album this year. Check that out, and check out these bands' debuts if you haven't. Also, one of my favourite Finns, Phlegein, is coming up with their first full-length! Fucking ace.
_________________
"Behold, wizard, for the last time how the sun looks, for henceforth you will watch it with empty sockets!"
Illusions Dead - death/black metal

Top
 Profile  
IanThrash
Metalhead

Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:56 pm
Posts: 918
Location: Argentina
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:58 pm 
 

Fifeldor wrote:
Hey all

Due to personal life issues, I've been away from the music for the past 18-24 months. I've been searching for the good (and the best) releases of the past two years lately and obviously this is the right place to ask.

Can you please drop a few bands whose latest releases I should totally check out? I don't care about genre or politics or anything, just good, pure black metal. I'm listening to Natur by Kaevum right now, and I really want to like the music again.

Regards



ill drop a few names that you may want to check

Xanthochroid-Blessed He With Boils (one of the best of 2012, if you dig old Emperor mixed with some Opeth this is the real deal)
Caranch Angren-Where the Corpses Sink Forever
Taake-Noregs Vaapen (outstanding)
Folkvang-Six Stories Without Keys (some of the best black folk since Ulvers debut)
Sorcier des Glaces-Snowland MMXII
Dordeduh-Dar De Duh
Velnias-Rune Eater
_________________
Can´t touch this

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Lastfm

Top
 Profile  
NJMike
Metal newbie

Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:12 am
Posts: 101
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:44 am 
 

I have just began listening to German black metal band Regnum last night. And I adore its unique dark and evil atmosphere.

Could anyone recommend me a band or album or anything that has similar sound to a song like this by Regnum? Pretty much anything off of the Dem Entwirklichten album. I know Deathspell Omega, Xasthur and Blut aus Nord have similar dark/evil atmospheres like this, too. But Dem Entwirklichten is just.......really interesting.
_________________
Metal (death, black, doom, gothic, industrial, post-, sludge, drone, avant-garde, experimental, technical/progressive, folk).
Other (post-rock, shoegaze, anything "-core", electronic, ebm, trance, hardstyle, house, dubstep).

http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

Top
 Profile  
moongoddess666
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:49 am
Posts: 32
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:34 am 
 

Could anyone recommend any songs that are similar to this one? One of my favorites by DSO, I love that it is grim, heavy, experimental and has good melody as well as production quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM9PUegDRz8


Or perhaps anything that is similar to this song? I love the heavy, audible bass and atmosphere of it. I'm not sure how else to say it, but this song has such a funky rhythm...I'm thinking there has to be some awesome songs with the same qualities that draw me to these songs in particular out there that I haven't heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A6lbSkelyk


Any recommendations would be appreciated. Please and thank you! \m/
_________________
www.last.fm/user/666moongoddess
www.youtube.com/user/666moongoddess

Top
 Profile  
moongoddess666
Metal newbie

Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:49 am
Posts: 32
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:27 am 
 

Ilwhyan wrote:
moongoddess666: Am Pranger is definitely the better album. I didn't like the debut as much, although I may not have given it a decent chance.

If you're into some tastefully avant-gardist stuff, or post-black metal if you will, check out Jumalhämärä. The full-length combines Neurosis-esque anxiety, post-rock atmospherics and sinister black metal style quite delightfully at best.


The song Ecstasy in Blood - A Ballad by Jumalhmr was great. I'm looking more into their work, thanks allot dude I appreciate it. \m/
_________________
www.last.fm/user/666moongoddess
www.youtube.com/user/666moongoddess

Top
 Profile  
Malthus
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:32 pm
Posts: 740
Location: Switzerland
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:47 pm 
 

NJMike wrote:
I have just began listening to German black metal band Regnum last night. And I adore its unique dark and evil atmosphere.

Could anyone recommend me a band or album or anything that has similar sound to a song like this by Regnum? Pretty much anything off of the Dem Entwirklichten album. I know Deathspell Omega, Xasthur and Blut aus Nord have similar dark/evil atmospheres like this, too. But Dem Entwirklichten is just.......really interesting.


You may enjoy Vhernen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn5jRkDrhwY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg_VcqjiuSY

Also...

Midnight Odyssey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZPDk3jbio4

Hope you can enjoy these.

Top
 Profile  
VincentVanGone
Metal newbie

Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:09 pm
Posts: 51
Location: United States
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:42 pm 
 

I've just now been getting into stuff like Deathspell Omega and Blut aus Nord. Anyone have recommendations for experimental, otherworldly bands?
_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/FeedingWhatIAm

Top
 Profile  
Beer Baron
Metalhead

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:30 pm
Posts: 1602
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:20 am 
 

Try Way to End - Desecrated Internal Journey

Top
 Profile  
bloodycumshit
Metalhead

Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:10 pm
Posts: 516
Location: New Zealand
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:54 am 
 

Malthus wrote:
NJMike wrote:
I have just began listening to German black metal band Regnum last night. And I adore its unique dark and evil atmosphere.

Could anyone recommend me a band or album or anything that has similar sound to a song like this by Regnum? Pretty much anything off of the Dem Entwirklichten album. I know Deathspell Omega, Xasthur and Blut aus Nord have similar dark/evil atmospheres like this, too. But Dem Entwirklichten is just.......really interesting.


You may enjoy Vhernen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn5jRkDrhwY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg_VcqjiuSY

Also...



Midnight Odyssey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZPDk3jbio4

Hope you can enjoy these.


sounds good, kind of like a more up beat Xasthur

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 137  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

 
Jump to:  

Back to the Encyclopaedia Metallum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group