Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:03 am 

Hybrid_Killer, you might enjoy the Trondheim band Sarath. I reviewed their album Siste Indre.

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:06 am 

Anyone know of any bands similar to Ruins of Beverast and Elysian Blaze that write massive, mulit-faceted tracks that convey a sense of overwhelming atmosphere and otherworldliness? Pretty pretentious description, and while I haven't found many bands that can do it like those two, I'm always looking!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:41 am 

thrashfan07 wrote:
Anyone know of any bands similar to Ruins of Beverast and Elysian Blaze that write massive, mulit-faceted tracks that convey a sense of overwhelming atmosphere and otherworldliness? Pretty pretentious description, and while I haven't found many bands that can do it like those two, I'm always looking!

It might be more fruitful looking into funeral doom metal rather than black metal. The genre is known for its immersive, desolate and crushing music like Esoteric.

thrashfan07
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:07 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
thrashfan07 wrote:

It might be more fruitful looking into funeral doom metal rather than black metal. The genre is known for its immersive, desolate and crushing music like Esoteric.

Fucking love Esoteric, though a more black metal sound is what I am looking for, hence the mention of RoB and Elysian Blaze.

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:21 pm 

thrashfan07 wrote:

have you heard Nortt good blackened funeral dirges.
Another recomendation would be Celestiial, whose 2 albums on bindrune records are sprawling nature inspired funeral doom.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:41 pm 

The obvious mentions would be Lunar Aurora and Naglfar. Long, intricate compositions, both grandeur and desolate atmosphere.

This is something that works for me, but it might not be at all what you're looking for: Korgonthurus - Marras. It's quite raw and certainly more traditional sounding than Elysian Blaze or The Ruins of Beverast. The otherworldliness levels aren't quite so high here.

If you're really in the mood for strange stuff, try your luck with Cloak of Altering. It didn't work for me, but it fits your request.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:51 pm 

I'm looking for music inspired by black metal. I enjoy the melancholic, dark, low-fi, horror movie atmosphere and themes aspects of black metal. I'm a big fan of black metal. However, I'm kind of in the mood for something that doesn't have a blaring sound, without harsh vocals. Is there something I can turn to when I want a perhaps more soothing sound, instead of something aggressive? I'm well aware of music such as alcest, fen, les desecres, agolloch, etc. However I haven't really listened to those bands. Would anyone recommend those or something similar? Something distinctly black metal, perhaps something good for listening to before bedtime, if you know what I mean.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:02 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
I'm looking for music inspired by black metal. I enjoy the melancholic, dark, low-fi, horror movie atmosphere and themes aspects of black metal. I'm a big fan of black metal. However, I'm kind of in the mood for something that doesn't have a blaring sound, without harsh vocals. Is there something I can turn to when I want a perhaps more soothing sound, instead of something aggressive? I'm well aware of music such as alcest, fen, les desecres, agolloch, etc. However I haven't really listened to those bands. Would anyone recommend those or something similar? Something distinctly black metal, perhaps something good for listening to before bedtime, if you know what I mean.

trist,xasthur?..harsh vocals,but kinda in the background

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:15 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
The obvious mentions would be Lunar Aurora and Naglfar. Long, intricate compositions, both grandeur and desolate atmosphere.

This is something that works for me, but it might not be at all what you're looking for: Korgonthurus - Marras. It's quite raw and certainly more traditional sounding than Elysian Blaze or The Ruins of Beverast. The otherworldliness levels aren't quite so high here.

If you're really in the mood for strange stuff, try your luck with Cloak of Altering. It didn't work for me, but it fits your request.

Maybe add Infestus to your list Ilwhyan, they tick a few of the boxes and might work for him.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g1LkFbdWHBc

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:18 pm 

Yeah, that could work. The songs don't have that massive feel to them as I understood thrashfan07's request to mean, but they're a good band and definitely worth checking out.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:35 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:

Primordial was a band that first came to mind but are maybe to obvious! Maybe Urfaust, but the vocals can be a desired taste for many. Also try Solefald. If you want something more upbeat Forefather are a must. As for the bands you have mentioned I would def check them out.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:45 pm 

I have one more recommendation request. Looking back on the albums I have enjoyed most, are bands with intense atmosphere. Favorite albums of mine are drawing down the moon, vampires of black imperial blood, and ast (by skagos). All of these albums have heavy atmosphere. I don't enjoy listening to black metal for who can pull of the most complex instrument playing, if there's even bands that do that. I often find myself turned off from bands with big discographies. I can really dig a band that released a small discography, but albums with a lot of character, and have unique aspects about them that keep me coming back.

STORMM wrote:
metaldiscussor666 wrote:

Primordial was a band that first came to mind but are maybe to obvious! Maybe Urfaust, but the vocals can be a desired taste for many. Also try Solefald. If you want something more upbeat Forefather are a must. As for the bands you have mentioned I would def check them out.

I'll check them out, thanks.

Right now I'm listening to sombre forets. They have a good atmosphere. They have good melancholic riffs, kind of muted screams, and they're not too aggressive.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:53 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
I have one more recommendation request. Looking back on the albums I have enjoyed most, are bands with intense atmosphere. Favorite albums of mine are drawing down the moon, vampires of black imperial blood, and ast (by skagos). All of these albums have heavy atmosphere. I don't enjoy listening to black metal for who can pull of the most complex songwriting, if there's even bands that do that. I often find myself turned off from bands with big discographies. I can really dig a band that released a small discography, but albums with a lot of character, and have unique aspects about them that keep me coming back.

metaldiscussor666 wrote:

Right now I'm listening to sombre forets. They have a good atmosphere. They have good melancholic riffs, kind of muted screams, and they're not too aggressive.

Yes I too am very fond of Sombres Forets, new album due soon so watch this space and if you like them make sure and check out Horn and Gris or if you want something similar with basically no vocals Blutklinge's debut album is a must. I noticed you enjoy movie atmosphere stuff, you ever check out Aquilus? This is a big listen but a great debut.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band/view/id/99197

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:00 pm 

STORMM wrote:
metaldiscussor666 wrote:
I have one more recommendation request. Looking back on the albums I have enjoyed most, are bands with intense atmosphere. Favorite albums of mine are drawing down the moon, vampires of black imperial blood, and ast (by skagos). All of these albums have heavy atmosphere. I don't enjoy listening to black metal for who can pull of the most complex songwriting, if there's even bands that do that. I often find myself turned off from bands with big discographies. I can really dig a band that released a small discography, but albums with a lot of character, and have unique aspects about them that keep me coming back.

Yes I too am very fond of Sombres Forets, new album due soon so watch this space and if you like them make sure and check out Horn and Gris or if you want something similar with basically no vocals Blutklinge's debut album is a must. I noticed you enjoy movie atmosphere stuff, you ever check out Aquilus? This is a big listen but a great debut.

http://www.metal-archives.com/band/view/id/99197

I love horn and gris. Do you have any idea where I can find those first two full length, CDr releases by Horn? They never show up anywhere.

Last edited by metaldiscussor666 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:06 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
I love horn and gris. Do you have any idea where I can find those CDr releases by Horn? They never show up anywhere.

I have three of his albums on cd, the cdr's are long gone sadly, I have contacted the band and label in the past looking them. Lets hope the label decides to release them in the future.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:09 pm 

metaldiscussor666 might also want to check out Dämmerfarben. It's not melodically ingenious, but should be according to your needs in terms of atmosphere and sound.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:57 am 

You may enjoy "The Silence of December" by Deinonychus, md666.

No musical connection to either of those things you mentioned, but I like it.

That's as much as I can really do for a rec with nothing concrete to go on.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:39 pm 

I would like to add 2 more amazing bands to the list:

Cirith Gorgor: Epic, long songs with fast sweeping riffs, very powerful, slightly "melodic" incredible band

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTzUO3NadGw

Furia (Poland) Basically the same band as Massemord (Poland) These guys mix pure raw black metal with some acoustic intros/breakdowns and I think they do it better than most bands who attempt this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqwuHkbcGQ8

nachtsturm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:29 pm 

Schattenvald:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-WAF_x6ia0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_4zR6rO5c4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whQMn4Lg ... e=youtu.be

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:56 pm 

nachtsturm wrote:

The new stuff is sounding great Nachtstrum, you any release date for the new album yet?

iloveblackmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:08 pm 

Do anybody like Svart (swe) here?

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:19 pm 

iloveblackmetal wrote:

No.

(sorry - but the question just somehow screamed for this, at least to me)

iloveblackmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:21 pm 

grauer_mausling wrote:
iloveblackmetal wrote:

No.

(sorry - but the question just somehow screamed for this, at least to me)

lol why?

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:27 pm 

haha, can't say why. I read it and the first thought crossing my mind was "No" :D
In fact I never listened to a single note by them...

Anyway - to give this some purpose (and as you love BM), listen to this. One of the finest albums of the 90s.
Yeah, you didn't ask for recommendations but I am in the mood to give you one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-oBm6r8BXo

Cheers

iloveblackmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:33 pm 

grauer_mausling wrote:
haha, can't say why. I read it and the first thought crossing my mind was "No" :D
In fact I never listened to a single note by them...

Anyway - to give this some purpose (and as you love BM), listen to this. One of the finest albums of the 90s.
Yeah, you didn't ask for recommendations but I am in the mood to give you one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-oBm6r8BXo

Cheers

sounds good. However im not really a fan of borknagar

here is one for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8DHYIk43Io Its the entire ep but its quite good

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:13 pm 

iloveblackmetal wrote:

I like Svartsyn, also from sweden

~Guest 224282
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:48 am 

Anyone know of any more good raw black metal that uses synths like Black Mass of Absu, Baxaxaxa, and Xantotol? I like the vocals the first two bands have, but general black metal vocals are fine too. I don't want piss poor production but I do like the raw sound, highly produced black metal isn't that great to me. Will prefer it if the band has something more to offer than like a 3 track demo(Full-lengths), and I'd like the lyrics(If available or even understandable) to be Satan-y and evil. :hail:

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:40 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Hybrid_Killer, you might enjoy the Trondheim band Sarath. I reviewed their album Siste Indre.

Thanks. I'll look into these guys for sure. Been meaning to check out some Trondheim bands.

STORMM wrote:
Hybrid_Killer wrote:
So, I've been completely addicted to Mgla's "With Hearts Towards None". I love that even though the riffs and melodies are simple and catchy the album still sounds ominous and unrelenting.

Anything of a similar nature?

Hey Hybrid_Killer have you ever checked out Aldaaron? They released their second album this year but still sadly very overlooked and I believe might interest you. Some fantastic melodic riffs, yet still very cold and aggressive. The first album is still prob my favourite but here is a track from their recent album for you to try, hope you enjoy.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iT3ySy0sRt4

This is great stuff STORMM. I just ordered their debut!

FleshMonolith wrote:
If that's your jam maybe Camulos? A bit more...riff dominated? But might do the trick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9QAqe2b7Oo

Chrome Waves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdxv72c8qWQ

Yeah, the Camulos was pretty good! Riff dominated is always welcome.

In fact, that Camulos song you posted was quite close to what I enjoy about Mgla riff and melody wise. Which of their 2 albums is better to start with?

Edit again: Also, whilst that Chrome Waves song was not quite similar to Mgla, it was still a cool song. Will try and get my hands on the EP. Thanks.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:46 pm 

Just listened to 1 song by Aldaaron, I agree with STORMM and Hybrid Killer, they sound pretty awesome... added to want list, thanks \m/

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:13 pm 

Gonna give Rotting Christ a try, which album should i start with?

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:49 pm 

metroplex wrote:

doesn't matter, they've never released anything bad. But Sanctus Diavolos is a personal recommendation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-ral6qotUE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMt0EAuMMRM

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

IX Leviathan
Bepsi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:46 pm 

metroplex wrote:

If you're looking for something with the more traditional Hellenic BM sound, start with Triarchy of the Lost Lovers or Non Serviam. They've been incorporating some ethnic elements with their later works (which I myself am not particularly keen on). Theogonia is a good place to start in that regard if that's something you'd be more interested in.
Like holy shit can't you get black out drunk and fist fight someone over a value pick burger in the drive thru and not hear about it for the rest of your life?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:53 pm 

On Sarath, if you liked the riffs on Gorgoroth Quantos, and would listen to something in that style even if the riffing was simplified somewhat, that would be Sarath. Almost completely andante, and not much in the way of hatefulness or aggression in the music, though it isn't overly gutless either.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:01 pm 

looking for some extremely depressing high pitched screaming vocals,with fast drumming and much less keyboards and slowness that's usually in dsbm.Something kind of like "make a change...kill yourself" but less produced

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:39 pm 

Hybrid_Killer wrote:

Yeah, the Camulos was pretty good! Riff dominated is always welcome.

In fact, that Camulos song you posted was quite close to what I enjoy about Mgla riff and melody wise. Which of their 2 albums is better to start with?

I really like the EP Verwesender am Kreuz, i've listened to that the most. Besides that I've only heard Der Untermensch... which is good, but as one or two out of place death metal tracks.

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:11 pm 

bloodycumshit wrote:
looking for some extremely depressing high pitched screaming vocals,with fast drumming and much less keyboards and slowness that's usually in dsbm.Something kind of like "make a change...kill yourself" but less produced

obviously there is not one band in the whole world that even resembles what i was looking for

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:58 pm 

bloodycumshit wrote:
bloodycumshit wrote:

obviously there is not one band in the whole world that even resembles what i was looking for

Ever try early bethlehem like dictus te necare or Silencer's death pierce me album? checks the depressing and high pitched vocals boxes, They may be to your liking or not. give them a try.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:12 pm 

Quote:
Ever try early bethlehem like dictus te necare or Silencer's death pierce me album? checks the depressing and high pitched vocals boxes, They may be to your liking or not. give them a try.

no i have not,iv heard good things about bethlehem though, thanks
Silencer "death pierce me" is one of my favorite albums at the moment

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:32 am 

Looking for super distorted, dense, yet describable black metal with melodic riffs. I have Mord(us) in mind for this. Less about evil, more about melody/atmosphere. Keyboards are fine, but not when they dominate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qsl-9qh9g8

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

altered_vlad
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:37 am 

Z0MBIE wrote:
I'm looking for really aggressive black metal with lots of blastbeats, any recs?

In addition to the awesome stuff that has been mentioned:

Funeral Mist's Devilry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o4gNJp2W5I

Triumphator's Wings of Antichrist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO9l5jZFQJU

Antaeus's discography
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_tVtBsDHMU

Otargos's Ten-Eyed Nemesis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM16v5JHu3c

Now go rip yourself a new asshole my friend ;)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 231  Next