Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
UnholyAnalDeathWorship
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:20 am 

Looking for bands with a vibe similar to Akhlys, Nightbringer, Acherontas, Carpe Noctem, etc.
Bands that can employ an almost.. Esoteric or twisted evil sound in atmosphere are what I'm looking for.

I'm not interested in evil raw black metal or anything necessarily hateful, just bands that reek of occult darkness. The title track to Acherontas' "Ma-Ion (Formulas of Reptilian Unification)" is q perfect example. It reminds me of what De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas Part II would have sounded like. The more balanced between dissonant and hypnotic it sounds the better.

Hope you guys can help, my request is kind of weird.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:32 am 

What do you think of bands like Flagellant, Svartidaudi, Misþyrming or Perdition Winds?

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:51 am 

Thy Darkned Shade's last album can fit: deeply infused with occult themes taken very seriously by its author, really dark and very complex.. not to mention the fact that the guy who plays all the instruments is stunningly proficient with all of those, it's amazing!

Katharsis's WorldWhithoutEnd has also a very otherwordly "serious" eerie atmosphere, but it's rawer than the examples you posted

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:13 am 

UnholyAnalDeathWorship wrote:
Looking for bands with a vibe similar to Akhlys, Nightbringer, Acherontas, Carpe Noctem, etc.
Bands that can employ an almost.. Esoteric or twisted evil sound in atmosphere are what I'm looking for.

I'm not interested in evil raw black metal or anything necessarily hateful, just bands that reek of occult darkness. The title track to Acherontas' "Ma-Ion (Formulas of Reptilian Unification)" is q perfect example. It reminds me of what De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas Part II would have sounded like. The more balanced between dissonant and hypnotic it sounds the better.

Hope you guys can help, my request is kind of weird.

If you dont mind orchestral keyboards throughout, Norway's Images at Twilight have just release their debut album 'Kings' which upon first few listens is a pretty good release with a dark, evil atmopshere you may enjoy.

http://imagesattwilight.indierecordings.no/

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:05 pm 

Devouring Star is also a good bet.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:35 pm 

UnholyAnalDeathWorship, there isn't exactly a shortage of that kind of occult black metal right now, so it should be pretty easy to track down those types of bands. Daemon Worship, Terratur, and Fallen Empire all have multiple bands on their rosters that would fit that description. I would recommend browsing their signed bands for starters.

UnholyAnalDeathWorship
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:47 am 

Thanks, I'll look into those! I've heard Devouring Star, Misphyrming, Svaurtidaudi, and Katharsis.. All great bands but Misphyrming is closest to that sound I'm looking for. They have the most melodic yet straight forward occult sounding riffs but not short of dissonance. Definitely appreciate the recommendations. Any other labels worth looking into? I just started getting back into metal after being absent for a few years so getting back into it is kinda difficult. Will check out unfamiliar names.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:28 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Hello, who can recommend me something that sounds similar to this?:

Scavenger_of_Human_Sorrow
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:21 pm 

UnholyAnalDeathWorship wrote:
Thanks, I'll look into those! I've heard Devouring Star, Misphyrming, Svaurtidaudi, and Katharsis.. All great bands but Misphyrming is closest to that sound I'm looking for. They have the most melodic yet straight forward occult sounding riffs but not short of dissonance. Definitely appreciate the recommendations. Any other labels worth looking into? I just started getting back into metal after being absent for a few years so getting back into it is kinda difficult. Will check out unfamiliar names.

Maybe check out Animus Mortis and Abyssal.

Like the others said, this type of black metal is huge right now, there are tons of projects out there. Check out this guys youtube page, it's basically a collection of excellent bands in the style your looking at. https://www.youtube.com/user/XOdiumNostrumX/videos

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:48 pm 

Are there anymore black metal albums that have a similar vibe to Nokturnal Mortum's The Voice of Steel? I love all the folky parts and the calmer more rock-based sections thrown in the excellent black metal.

Unifying_Disorder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:33 pm 

The weather is changing where I live, and snow will probably be falling soon. I'm looking for music which provides a good soundtrack to the weather. Are there any black metal bands not named Immortal who sing solely about winter, coldness, weather, frozen wastelands etc.?

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:10 pm 

Paysage d'Hiver is my go to 'cold black metal', some of his lyrics are about winter and the likes.

Unifying_Disorder
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:34 pm 

That seems very obscure. Anything else?

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:14 am 

WillyB wrote:
Are there anymore black metal albums that have a similar vibe to Nokturnal Mortum's The Voice of Steel? I love all the folky parts and the calmer more rock-based sections thrown in the excellent black metal.

Bit different but have you ever tried Kroda's second and third most recent albums?

Forbinator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:29 am 

My "go to" cold black metal is Sorcier Des Glaces. Three albums specifically: The Puressence of Primitive Forests, Ritual of the End, and Snowland 2012 re-recording. Blut aus Nord's first two might even be ahead of these, but you probably already listen to those.

IcyScythe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:37 am 

Unifying_Disorder wrote:

You probably already know about these two but you could try Hate Forest -- I don't know about the lyrics (as it's all in Ukrainian I believe) but it gives off that cold winter forest vibe pretty strongly. Drudkh too on some of their stuff (again - lyrics in Ukrainian)

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:25 am 

Quote:
The weather is changing where I live, and snow will probably be falling soon. I'm looking for music which provides a good soundtrack to the weather. Are there any black metal bands not named Immortal who sing solely about winter, coldness, weather, frozen wastelands etc.?

The perfect album for this feeling to me is Forest Silence's only album: Philosophy of winter. It's excellent and i strongly suggest it

also another really good album would be Neige Eternelle's self titled, it really lives up to its name and icy cover art!

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:29 pm 

hey wrote:
WillyB wrote:

Bit different but have you ever tried Kroda's second and third most recent albums?

I need to go back and listen to Kroda again and see if they can fill my need. I've always enjoyed Cry For Me, River and it's been a long while since I've heard it. I'll check out the rest of their stuff too while I'm at it.

Unifying_Disorder wrote:

I'll have to second Neige Eternelle. I'm not really too familiar on bands that actually have lyrics about freezing winters, more bands that make me wish it was cold. Check out Isengard's Vinterskugge, gives off a nice cold vibe.

Mrnasher92
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:53 pm 

I am Looking for some good classic black metal from the UK ?

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:02 pm 

Unifying_Disorder wrote:

You really should give PDH a go. They're the band that captures winter best. You can get the CDs from a number of places or download them or listen on YouTube. They're not that obscure, and they probably are the best.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:44 pm 

I've tried to get into atmospheric black metal for a while now, and while I enjoy listening to it, the music never seems to stick. However, I recently came across Skyforest. I absolutely love how quiet the vocals are. It seems as if a lot of these bands/projects like to place the vocals at the forefront. In short, does anyone know of anything similar to this song?

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:49 pm 

You try Njiqahdda yet? I haven't listened to all of their releases, but Nji. Njiijn. Njiiijn. has really quiet vocals, almost like wind.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:01 pm 

I like vocals, but I'm not into the fuzziness of the guitars. Although, not all of their releases seem to be like that.

Here's something else I like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a41bIBvqTP0

I'm a huge fan of vocals, but I like how the light vocals compliment the music in atmospheric black metal rather than overpower it.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:45 am 

Have you tried Elderwind?

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:54 am 

theposega wrote:
Have you tried Elderwind?

Perfect! Thank you.

assholemagic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:24 am 

I've been looking for a weird combination for a while that I'm not even sure if I can find here. Basically DSBM combined with 80s synths or the atmospheric "wall of sound" techniques of the 80's.

Yes:
1. Dissonance. Minor keys are a staple in DSBM but I really like dissonance to the point that it almost stops making musical sense.
Pretty much anything by Xasthur: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkxsWk4SUgk
Basically Lurker of Chalice (0:48): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1VISLfRDfg
Striborg - Protagonist of Misanthropic Virtues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRNocPVd7zE
Not BM but good example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVWEqQnjT0M

2. Feels like any negative emotion that is not anger, fury or rage. Such as: Depression (duh), creepy, menacing, harrowing, traumatizing, haunting, terrifying, etc. Aside from that, I would also appreciate: trippy, trance, spacey, or astral projection-y, but I'm not looking for drone/ambient shit like Sun O))). Moments of "happiness" are fine, to provide contrast.

3. The weird part. Synthesizers. but NOT SYMPHONIC BLACK METAL. String synths are acceptable, but it can't sound "symphonic." I'm looking for stereotypical 80's synths like in coldwave, new wave, darkwave, goth, or 80's pop music.
Noir Deco - Future Noir (worth the whole listen): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms-uKIw1rJs
Com Truise - Hyperlips (intro): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8LjavsYORA
Angelo Badalmenti - Laura Palmer's Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khMlcTE7lw8
Lazerhawk - Dangerous After Dark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRwK7_BmMP0
The bad ass intergalactic intro to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHpk9krUJBI

4. Aforementioned spacey or menacing 80's synths are ideal. But if not that, then an overall creepy electronic influence, like 90's industrial or an atmospheric "wall of sound" like 80's goth & reverby post-punk.
Aphex Twin - We Have Arrived: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ermaPH0vrXQ
NIN - That's What I Get: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk5Ki3qv-Dk
Lung Overcoat - When Dreams Drag On: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vas9_L-oGvg
The Soft Moon - Wasting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3sIYVKR-eU
Joy Division - Decades: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMAB3r6EjcM
Cocteau Twins - Hitherto: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuWFN5kRkes

No:
1. Mainly ambiance or noise. Such as the aimless, creepy shit in Embittered Darkness / Isle de Morts. I want to listen to musical composition, not a Numbers station. I love incorporation of or dedicated sections of ambiance, effects, noises, samples, etc but if it's overpowering, then no.
Striborg- Glorification of mother nature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_XXz4j5KE

2. Speedy drums. The music and/or drums can have moments of speed, but overall I'm thinking of a stereotypical Xasthur pace. This goes back to the anger/fury thing.

3. Groove, or the 'makes you wanna dance' feeling. I want to be clear that I'm looking for synths and instrumentation from the 80's...but not much else.

Indifferent/not a factor:
- Singer's voice or lack thereof.
- Lyrical content or meaning. All adjectives aforementioned refer to how the music sounds on it's own.

If I need to be re-directed to another thread please let me know. Sorrynotsorry for being very picky as fuck. Actual sorry for wall of text.
The best examples I have so far are Striborg's Embittered Darkness / Isle de Morts, or Chelsea Wolfe's Abyss but neither of those quite hit the target I have in mind. I don't feel like I'm going to get abducted by aliens or be murdered by Freddy Kreuger, so pls halp. thanks.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:14 am 

Going throw this track/band out there for you, but I get the feeling you may already know this... anyway, here it is;

Verdunkeln - Blutrunst

This whole demo/album has a bit of a post-punk feeling throughout it, but if you already know them, no drama.

Bout all I got right now. Hard request to fill.

My collection

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:10 am 

WillyB wrote:

Give Zgard's latest 'Totem' a whirl WillyB.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:24 am 

Unifying_Disorder wrote:

I agree PDH is hard to beat but you may need to give them more time to digest. If you want someting clear sounding try Battle Dagorath's latest album.

Istapp are super melodic and not as cold sounding but they do love winter.

Here are two unknown U.K. bands I rate highly, Desolate Winds and Arx Atrata, both well worth a listen, sadly Desolate awinds seem to have good into obscurity.

Sombres Forets second album is an excellent release, the intro is a personal favourite.

Catamenia are a similar beast to Istapp only a greater use of keyboards, same could be said for Australia's Astral Winter.

Drama's 'Wind Choir Opera' his highly influened by Immortal.

That should start you off and hope you find something suitable.

Keep and eye next year for Grey Aura's debut, it is perfect for these conditions and is based on a doomed journey into the artic circle, true story with voice actors acting out the characters between songs. It is quite unique to say least.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:09 am 

assholemagic wrote:
I've been looking for a weird combination for a while that I'm not even sure if I can find here. Basically DSBM combined with 80s synths or the atmospheric "wall of sound" techniques of the 80's.

Let me try...
Does any of these fit your request, maybe?
Hateful Abandon - Doesn't have synths, but has a 80s post-punk vibe to it.
Puritas Virginum - Love it or hate it band. Perhaps you'll find joy on it. If you happen to get interested check out also his other project "Mourir et Revenir", which also is a sinthy black metal but more to the happier side...
Circle of Ouroborus - it's not everytime that this band qualifies as black metal, but it has a wall of sound going on here.
Finally if you're ok with blackgaze there's early Germ...

Also if you happen to find other bands by other means, please post it here...

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:30 pm 

Mrnasher92 wrote:

Hecate Enthroned?

assholemagic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:14 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Going throw this track/band out there for you, but I get the feeling you may already know this... anyway, here it is;

Verdunkeln - Blutrunst

This whole demo/album has a bit of a post-punk feeling throughout it, but if you already know them, no drama.

Bout all I got right now. Hard request to fill.

Holy shit. I thoroughly enjoyed that. Thanks.

assholemagic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:31 am 

Karlabos wrote:
Let me try...
Does any of these fit your request, maybe?.

Yes! I like it all. I liked Hateful Abandon the most. Purita's voice had to grow on me at first. The Mourir stuff was great.

Also, blackgaze is a thing?! :D

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:30 am 

assholemagic wrote:
Also, blackgaze is a thing?! :D

Yes. It's short for "shoegaze black metal", a scene that has been growing a lot the last years. It's a blend of black metal and shoegaze

Ridge
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:20 am 

STORMM wrote:
I agree PDH is hard to beat

For me they’re far more than hard to beat. But I’m always looking for something with a similar atmosphere so I’m going to jump on the back of this and say; any recommendations? Anything similar or any bands that are equally as good/better in any way?

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:00 am 

Ridge wrote:
STORMM wrote:
I agree PDH is hard to beat

For me they’re far more than hard to beat. But I’m always looking for something with a similar atmosphere so I’m going to jump on the back of this and say; any recommendations? Anything similar or any bands that are equally as good/better in any way?

Hmmm, maybe Battle Dagorath Ridge? Though the production would not be as muddy.

https://atmfsssdtp.bandcamp.com/album/c ... rm-of-ages

Also try Circle of Salt, probably a mix between Darkspace and Paysage d'Hiver though like the above a less muddy production.

https://thecircleofsalt.bandcamp.com/releases

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:52 am 

Mrnasher92 wrote:

Try this? http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ba ... hra/356061

Mrnasher92
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:55 pm 

Will do

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:55 am 

Just recommend me something like this:

uoysevolnatas
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:24 pm 

Hello chaps

Been out of the black metal game for about 3ish years now, any kick ass new bands i need to know about?

I used to always come here for BM recs and was never let down. Been listening to all Drudkh, Mgla, Urfaust & Blut Aus Nord & co again but just need some fresh blood to get excited about.

Tack

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156 ... 231  Next