Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:55 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Anyone know of anything that's similar to those first two Aeternus albums? The similar artists page on M-A is laughably unhelpful, and last.fm is suggesting stuff like Aborym and Abigor (they all start with A!). On the off chance that you've heard something similar to this but haven't actually heard it:

Closest I know is Grima Morstua's latest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93mDbBM55Yw

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:08 pm 

Early Lord Belial is kinda similar, except much cheesier of course.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Balisong
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:48 am 

Hi. I'm looking for black metal bands with acoustic sections and very high shrieks. I listened to Ghost Bath's Funeral and I really liked it. Can you help me out?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:11 am 

Balisong wrote:
Hi. I'm looking for black metal bands with acoustic sections and very high shrieks.

Aaskereia
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Balisong
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:40 am 

Thanks, buddy. That was pretty fucking good.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:49 pm 

Hey there's a new Azaghal album, a bit of a return to their older sound. Only listened to a few songs so far, but seems like a good one. Edit: Listened to the whole album. :bow:

flightoficarus86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:23 pm 

Run, do not walk, to listen to A Forest of Stars and Leviathan. Azaghal had its moments, but was super-inconsistent. New Enslaved is also good, but far more chill than anything they have done so far. I hesitate to call it black metal.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:19 pm 

You crazy! This Azaghal is some of the blackest metal I've heard in a long time. These kind of riffs (especially the fast ones) aren't very common anymore and the balance of rawness and melody is perfect... Reminds me of something like early Burzum style mixed with mid era (Hate Them) Darkthrone. Then again Forest of Stars and Leviathan are probably not my favorite thing. Leviathan was always interesting for a weird listen, the 10 sub levels or suicide album was the only one i sorta got into. A Forest of Stars looks like one of those bands you listen to when you're tired and want something relaxing and pretty, not that there's anything wrong with that :-D

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:32 pm 

Yeah the new Azaghal is pretty bad ass. I listened to it once so far but I liked what I heard.

Like your reviews?

aheadofmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:20 am 

I can't help but plug my own black metal band on this one. Just put out a new instrumental album. To me I would say it sounds like a mixture of old Dawn albums and some new progressive/atmospheric twists thrown in.

The discography is available here for free:

https://noxaeternum.bandcamp.com/

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:48 am 

Anybody really digging the new (okay, 3 months old) Blut Aus Nord? I've been playing 'Memoria Vetusta II' again lately and it's kind of mindblowing, so I'm certainly interested in hearing the sequel - just haven't gotten around to it.

The new Leviathan is definitely on my "to-check-out" list, and now the new Azaghal as well.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:18 am 

Been a long time since I've listened to Blut Aus Nord, I will check them out along with the new Leviathan, sounds like it's something different than his last few releases. And sure I will check aheadofmetal's free band page after my meeting today. Instrumental and Dawn influence both sound nice.

A bit more about Azaghal, I've been listening to them since their second album was their new album (feeling old) Always felt like they were underrated/under appreciated and with all their subtle style changes have never had a bad album. Listened to the new album a couple times now and it's their most aggressive since Perkeleen luoma, but much more evolved with a great mix of primitive heavy riffs (like early Bathory on steroids) and the kind of tremelo riffs that got most of us into black metal in the first place. They still have their distinct immediately recognizable sound, even though I compared to the 2 easiest bands to compare to. I think Ziggurat and Varjokuninkaat are 2 really amazing songs, but gotta get the album to hear them :)

Balisong
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:27 pm 

Memoria Vetusta III is pretty much Memoria Vetusta II with new riffs, and the production is smoother. In my opinion, it's just as good, though. Definitely recommended.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:52 pm 

Memoria Vetusta III is the first BaN album I've spent time with and I really like it. I've listened to some stuff off their 777 series and it didn't do anything for me. I keep planning to listen to the other Memorais, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Instead, I've been listening to the two Caverne tapes and those are just killer. One of the greatest new bands out there for sure. It sometimes reminds me of something like Ulver since it's deeply dark and romantic black metal along with some acoustics, but it doesn't sound folky at all. And then there's the nationalistic French influence, whose sound I dig very much. Very impressive demos!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:56 pm 

aheadofmetal wrote:
I can't help but plug my own black metal band on this one. Just put out a new instrumental album. To me I would say it sounds like a mixture of old Dawn albums and some new progressive/atmospheric twists thrown in.

The discography is available here for free:

https://noxaeternum.bandcamp.com/

I listened to the songs on this link, really fucking good man!
MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
I've been listening to the two Caverne tapes and those are just killer.

um yeah, Caverne also sounds amazing. I will be listening to more of both of these for sure.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:48 pm 

My memory is often pretty shit for remembering things like specific riffs, but there's a riff in that second Nox Aeternum song on that bandcamp page that's literally exactly that main riff from Taake's "Hordaland doedskvad Part III" except with like one or two different notes at the very tail end of it. Sorry man, but I can't help but be pretty suspicious after that.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:02 am 

Hey how do you go about getting those Caverne demo tapes? Also here's this band my friend from Sarkrista just recommended:

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:06 am 

You can get them from Tour de Garde in Canada (or could..) or email the label: [email protected]

http://sanctuaire-resilience.fr/

The Necropole demos are also worth getting, I hear. Based on the Caverne material I believe it.

Last edited by MonumentalBlackArt on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:06 am 

Nice, I didn't know Aegrus had an album out. Thanks for the heads-up. Faith Crushing Retribution is very solid, intense Finnish black metal.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:25 am 

Thx guys, I actually linked Caverne to Revenant and he really liked it then also recognized the guy is from Necropole and said they were good as well. Apparently Aurvandil is another band I need to listen to more, really like what I heard from a small sample of their Thrones album. Going to dig deeper into this stuff in the next few days \m/

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:16 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Apparently Aurvandil is another band I need to listen to more, really like what I heard from a small sample of their Thrones album. Going to dig deeper into this stuff in the next few days \m/

Just buy all his shit, just do it. :nods:

BondedByBanjo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:57 pm 

I've been trying to find some black metal that I like recently and really the only album I've found so far is At the Heart of Winter by Immortal. What are some other albums/bands that are in that general realm of melodic/thrashy black metal preferably with at least decent production?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:01 pm 

BondedByBanjo wrote:
I've been trying to find some black metal that I like recently and really the only album I've found so far is At the Heart of Winter by Immortal. What are some other albums/bands that are in that general realm of melodic/thrashy black metal preferably with at least decent production?

Try Satyricon's Nemesis Divina. It goes down the throat rather smoothly. ;)

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:22 pm 

BondedByBanjo wrote:

Have you heard 'Blood Fire Death' by Bathory? Not as melodic, but it does have that epic black/thrash sound to it, and influenced probably a million later bands in the process. Also check out Dissection and Sacramentum if you haven't yet, though they do have a bit more melo-death and a bit less thrash in their sound. Maybe the first two Aeternus albums as well, for more long, epic songs vaguely in the vein of 'AtHoW.'

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:58 am 

BondedByBanjo wrote:

Immortal's Damned in Black is really similar to At the Heart of Winter, but less cold basically. Inquisition is another band that's pretty easy to get into if you like the vocals - give their latest a shot. Finnish stuff like Sargeist's Let the Devil In are awfully melodic, as is Blut Aus Nord's Memoria Vetusta III. Dissection and Sacramentum and I'll throw Dawn in there as well are mandatory melodic black metal bands, give any of their stuff a shot (especially Dissection's Storm of the Light's Bane). Istapp's Blekinge is a really clean sounding, melodic album that's easy to digest. Some Taake stuff like Hordalands doedskvad or Noregs vaapen are probably melodic enough and have decent production. And of course Mgla's With Hearts Towards None is a must listen. You might also like Immortal's All Shall Fall. It was my first black metal album so maybe it'll work for you.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:07 am 

This....

Like your reviews?

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:47 am 

That Vinterland album is excellent, haven't listened to it in many many years. Also as I have said before, THIS, DAMN IT!
androdion wrote:

OK!

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:26 pm 

BondedByBanjo wrote:

Some good recommendations from others so far, especially Dissection's Storm of the Light's Band and Taake's Hordalands doedskvad. Those are great albums that are very easy to get into. I'll throw in Destroyer 666 as well, specifically Cold Steel... for an Iron Age and Phoenix Rising. They're black/thrash with some melodic riffs, pretty clear production too.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:40 pm 

BondedByBanjo wrote:

"Sons Of Northern Darkness"? :roll:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:18 pm 

Check out Imperial Crystalline Entombment, they're essentially a tribute to Immortal.

How knowledgeable are you in black metal in general? Would recommending, say, Arckanum's Antikosmos or ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ be helpful at all, or are you looking for more obscure bands?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKtyOovTCQg&t=1m15s

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:01 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
androdion wrote:

OK!

On a more serious note though, Aurvandil's catalogue (both albums and the Ferd EP) are pretty good. And although they're a bit different between themselves I can't see that many differences that will make you scratch your head too much. Be sure to order it directly from Cold Void Emantions, it's his own label and he is super cool. ;)

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:00 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Anyone know of anything that's similar to those first two Aeternus albums? The similar artists page on M-A is laughably unhelpful, and last.fm is suggesting stuff like Aborym and Abigor (they all start with A!). On the off chance that you've heard something similar to this but haven't actually heard it:

Late, and I can't imagine you haven't heard them, but just in case, Avenger's early stuff reminds me of Aeternus sometimes.

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=4Z0XJhX6lS8

And it even starts with A.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:37 pm 

I am searching for black metal bands which sing on slavic languages, but in a way so that I can hear that they're singing on a slavic language.
For instance... I know that Drudkh sings in Urainian but I can't understand a thing.
To cite a couple examples that I think that work: Master's hammer, Veretragor both vocals are articulated in a way you can distinguish the syllabes. Any more vocals like that?

Could be on any black metal subgenre, really

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:40 am 

BondedByBanjo wrote:

you might like some of the 90s greek scene. early rotting christ, varathron, necromantia, thou art lord, and so on.

Karlabos wrote:
I am searching for black metal bands which sing on slavic languages, but in a way so that I can hear that they're singing on a slavic language.
For instance... I know that Drudkh sings in Urainian but I can't understand a thing.
To cite a couple examples that I think that work: Master's hammer, Veretragor both vocals are articulated in a way you can distinguish the syllabes. Any more vocals like that?

Could be on any black metal subgenre, really

nokturnal mortum, possibly maniac butcher and stiny plamenu

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:20 pm 

androdion wrote:
On a more serious note though, Aurvandil's catalogue (both albums and the Ferd EP) are pretty good. And although they're a bit different between themselves I can't see that many differences that will make you scratch your head too much. Be sure to order it directly from Cold Void Emantions, it's his own label and he is super cool. ;)

Yeah they are all great, that cover of Burzum's Jesu Dod is excellent, but the Thrones album is like an abyss of black metal perfection. I will add them all to my collection when I'm done spending thousands of dollars on annoying bullshit...

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:23 pm 

I'm really, really looking for melancholic black metal in the vein of Drudkh's 'Eternal Turn Of The Wheel' track. Intense, a slight fuzz. Melancholic harmonies. A true, goosebump-inducing atmosphere. The track:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:40 pm 

That's an uplifting song, not melancholic. :scratch:

This is really similar to (that style of) Drudkh in terms of atmosphere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWNwgEB_yG4

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:02 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
That's an uplifting song, not melancholic. :scratch:

This is really similar to (that style of) Drudkh in terms of atmosphere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWNwgEB_yG4

Uplifting? I guess we have a different opinion on uplifting and/or melancholic then. I am familiar with Kladovest ;) Good recommendation nonetheless.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:15 pm 

Don't worry, you're not the only one who says that. For me, Estrangement is a fairly melancholic album, but that song I've always found to be perhaps Drudkh's most energetic and positive one.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:34 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
androdion wrote:

Yeah they are all great, that cover of Burzum's Jesu Dod is excellent, but the Thrones album is like an abyss of black metal perfection. I will add them all to my collection when I'm done spending thousands of dollars on annoying bullshit...

True that! Thrones took a bit to sink in but once it did it became my favourite of the bunch. I still have a soft spot for Yearning though, but Thrones is just mesmerizing.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145 ... 231  Next