Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:28 pm 

Glad you guys like Urzeit so much, I am currently about halfway through this album by a band called Lathspell and totally loving it. Their drummer joined Azaghal in 2012 and one of their guitarists also joined Azaghal in 2015. This album is 4 long songs and they totally shred, going to check out the rest of their discography after this.

https://lathspell.bandcamp.com/album/torn-cold-void

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:38 pm 

I just wanted to drop a general recommendation here for the new Sauron album, Conquest Through Attrition. I've been a fan of these guys for years now, and the first two albums are devastating but this new one is on a different level. They've managed to create a darker atmosphere without sacrificing anything in the way of ferocity. I would say there are some influences creeping in outside the black and thrash spectrum, specifically some insane speed metal here and there.

I think these guys have been special for awhile but they hit a new gear I never expected with this one, and I think people are going to miss it because they basically do zero self-promotion outside their little sphere.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:27 am 

Yeah Sick6Six, Lathspell are cool shit. Haven't heard the new one yet though, I should get on that. Haven't heard the new Sauron yet either, but I'm pumped! Definitely one of the few thrash bands able to really hold my interest much, and adding in some insane speed metal sounds like a perfect addition to their sound.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:54 am 

Sauron is awesome, thanks for the namedrop dudes.

battle_axes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:15 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
battle_axes wrote:
This is kind of a broad request, but I've been digging Behexen's By the Blessing of Satan lately, and love that the prominence of the bass in the mix adds a lot to the nastiness of the sound of the album. So can anyone recommend some aggressive black metal with upfront bass? I'm looking for loudness more than anything. I'm not concerned with flashy playing or anything.

This is one of my favorite albums lately, it's fairly raw and ugly like earlier Behexen without the "overbearing" treble, has crushing headbanging riffs and I think the bass is quite prominent. Everyone should check these guys out.
https://urzeit.bandcamp.com/

Like everyone else has said, this is the shit. Ugly and asskicking. Definitely nailed what I was looking for.

The bass in the Barathrum and Countess albums are a bit cleaner than what I had in mind, unfortunately (though I'm currently listening to Saatana and it's not bad).

And Impaled Nazarene is simply cool. I've only listened to Pro Patria Finlandia and All that You Fear, and really liked them, so it's not surprising I like Latex Cult. I can't help but feel that if the bass had more of a "roar", it'd be even better. Good shit nonetheless.

Lastly, I couldn't find Impious Havoc albums to stream, and am embarrassed to admit that I'm too broke for a blind purchase.

Again, thanks for the recommendations.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:48 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Haven't heard the new Sauron yet either, but I'm pumped! Definitely one of the few thrash bands able to really hold my interest much, and adding in some insane speed metal sounds like a perfect addition to their sound.

The last song (and title track) specifically has a main riff that I would say is Victor Ruiz's grand accomplishment in life. I have a sneaking suspicion he had some riffs on deck for the second Borrowed Time album that never was, and repackaged them (uglier, faster) for Sauron. Conquest Through Attrition, the song, is BANANAS.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:46 am 

I was actually digging into Sauron the other day, but got sidetracked, I'll get back to them this weekend (today during work). The latest Lathspell is amazing, the first track has a bit of a chill "intro" before it gets to full out awesome mode. I have to work backwards in their discography now as well. I got my Urzeit vinyl in the mail yesterday and it's beautiful... I mean ugly! :beer:

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:54 pm 

There is only one Sauron. The Dutch one

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:11 pm 

Didn't someone once ask for Hellenic sounding black metal? Discovered Eibon from Singapore clicking through the artist profile of Abruptum's It, unfortunately there's a girl singing in parts but the rest sounds very early Rotting Christ mixed with Mystifier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRz4bC-zMlA

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Kommanderhooyah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:29 pm 

Speaking of the Hellenic sound, can anyone recommend some black/death with a Hellenic influence? I guess Weapon (Canada) would be a reference point of sorts for the sound I am seeking.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:56 am 

Sacriphyx should do the trick!

~Guest 277521
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:31 am 

I've been listening lately to Enslaved for the first time in a very very long time. They have some really decent stuff in pretty much every era. I know their proggier sound is generally frowned upon but they still have some interesting things and even on the Trinacria album.

Borknagar's last album also came back to what I've been listening to at work. Just a fun album really.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:28 am 

for sure their post-, let's say, mardraum stuff is frowned upon by me, but I have a feeling that is what is generally more appreciated by the majority on this board, isn't it?

hordanes land is some of the best things ever released from norway.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:09 pm 

Anyone ever listen to this Nadiwrath album from 2015? I overlooked it mostly because the first album was super punky, but this one is sooo good!

Another awesome album from Greece I just discovered by Akrotheism

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:15 pm 

into_the_pit wrote:
for sure their post-, let's say, mardraum stuff is frowned upon by me, but I have a feeling that is what is generally more appreciated by the majority on this board, isn't it?

Maybe it's just that Trinacria album I've never heard of that's frowned upon.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:56 am 

I want to get back into black metal as I've been largely out of the loop lately. Anything in particular, worth checking out? I'm not too fond of atmospheric/ambient stuff. Suggest something that is on the harsher side of the spectrum preferably with some techy riffing & grind/death metal aggression.

Some recent albums as a frame of reference:
Nightbringer - Terra Damnata (singles only, tbr in April)
Deathspell Omega - Synarchy of Molten Bones
Inquisition - ridiculously long album title
Urzeit - Anmoksha
Anaal Nathrakh - The Whole of the Law (if this counts that is)

Thanks in advance.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:16 pm 

Aside from those 2 albums I posted a couple posts up I've been enjoying:
Insanity Cult - All around good, epic/aggressive black metal
VI - Like DSO if they had catchy riffs ;)
White Death - kvlt new album
Dumal - Really impressive USBM sort of Sargeistish
Murg - Still one of my favorite new bands from the last few years
Obitus - New 45 minute single song album is incredible, these guys are fairly "tech"

Can find links to all of them on my collection here https://bandcamp.com/sick6six
Most are close to the top, Murg is further down

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:47 pm 

I'm just wondering but are there any technical black metal bands?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:52 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:

Well the genre search comes up with this:
http://www.metal-archives.com/search?se ... band_genre

But I'm not familiar with any of them myself so I'm going to recommend something else. Here's Abyssal's Denouement album.

It has elements of stuff that isn't black metal, but I still think that that element is the main root of their sound. Super technical and very dark sounding.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:38 am 

TheConqueror1 wrote:

Singularity can be considered that but it's more like tech death with raspy high vocals.

Abigor is some of the craziest bm I've heard, the MA genre tag doesn't do them justice imo.

Then there is stuff like contemporary Deathspell Omega.

Enthean mixes tech death with Dimmu Borgir-esque bombast & Emperor-ish melodies.
--------------------------------------
Also, thanks for the recs Sick6Six!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:23 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
Dumal - Really impressive USBM sort of Sargeistish

Yeah, I've really been enjoying this one as well. These guys have a real knack for writing excellent riffs and melodies and putting them into well-penned, memorable tracks. The whole album flows excellently and the individual songs are super memorable, too. One of the best plain ol' black metal bands to come out in the US (or anywhere) in a good while.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:36 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
One of the best plain ol' black metal bands to come out in the US (or anywhere) in a good while.

Agree completely! Revenant of Sarkrista actually told me about them a month or 2 ago... I've gotten lots of good suggestions from him. The album flows perfectly, 'Serpents in the Bramble' always seems to kick ass by the time I get to that song.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:12 am 

iamntbatman: Apropos, are you a fan of Ragnarok? I just put on some (Collectors Of the King), and it struck me again how well this seems to combine elements of Finnish and Norwegian black metal. For a fan of Taake as well as a bunch of Finnish black metal, this band really captures the aggression and energy of the former, as well as uses that same rustic, melancholy riffing as the latter.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:45 pm 

Interesting you mention Ragnarok, I didn't even notice they came out with a new album last year until a couple weeks ago. Their last few albums have never stuck with me very well, but I think 'Collectors' was maybe the best of their newer death metal style. I also just found this band called Abyssgale, and Ragnarok was one of the bands I was drawing similarities to (probably more than Marduk who I compared them to on the little Bandcamp blurb I wrote) but damn I cannot believe how good this is! https://abyssgale-official.bandcamp.com/album/hegemon Their FB says they are recording a new album right now which I'm already looking forward to.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:25 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
I also just found this band called Abyssgale, and Ragnarok was one of the bands I was drawing similarities to (probably more than Marduk who I compared them to on the little Bandcamp blurb I wrote) but damn I cannot believe how good this is! https://abyssgale-official.bandcamp.com/album/hegemon Their FB says they are recording a new album right now which I'm already looking forward to.

I'm so glad I clicked on that bandcamp link! I was thinking about putting on some Marduk but this is better...a lot better actually. Be it vocals, riffing, or drumwork everything goes hard as fuck here! :headbang:

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:47 pm 

Happy to help my friend :)

Andy_Christ
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:57 am 

Looking for a few things.

Progressive black metal. I am a huge DSO fan. Paracletus is one of my all time favorite albums. Any help would be appreciated.

What is the best place to track down demos these days? I am aware of Bandcamp and I am a fan but looking for other options.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:05 am 

Andy_Christ wrote:
Progressive black metal. I am a huge DSO fan. Paracletus is one of my all time favorite albums. Any help would be appreciated.

Check out VI - De Praestigiis Angelorum. It's somewhat more straightforward, but if you like Paracletus, you will probably like this as well.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:20 pm 

Vehementer Nos is some pretty good French progressive black metal you may enjoy.

Ricin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:41 pm 

I need some LOUD super powerful black metal, preferably up tempo

ThanatosUK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:08 pm 

^^ Try some Haemoth, if you haven't already.

https://dmp666.bandcamp.com/album/kontamination

Ricin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:15 pm 

Not bad, definitely loud as fuck. Wish the drums were more, prominent I guess?

my example is this

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:05 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
iamntbatman: Apropos, are you a fan of Ragnarok? I just put on some (Collectors Of the King), and it struck me again how well this seems to combine elements of Finnish and Norwegian black metal. For a fan of Taake as well as a bunch of Finnish black metal, this band really captures the aggression and energy of the former, as well as uses that same rustic, melancholy riffing as the latter.

Huh, for some reason I've had this band bookmarked for years but never actually listened to them. Diabolical Age is really great stuff. Definitely very Taake-ish. I guess just another example of a great band lost to that void of late 90's/early 2000's black metal oversaturation. I actually think it's really interesting/funny that Hoest was in this band for a while, during the era where they had probably some of the worst album art ever in the history of black metal.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:58 pm 

I remember listening to Diabolical Age driving from California to Chicago over 10 years ago... 'The Heart of Satan' is such an epic mid-paced song, brings back memories. They don't sound like the same band at all anymore, nothing on the new album is grabbing me aside from the chorus riff of 'Infernal Majesty'

Edit: Also for the similar to DSO question, there's this coming out in a couple weeks: https://dodecahedronsom.bandcamp.com/album/kwintessens

I also love that VI album which I just recently discovered and they have a re-recorded EP coming out any day now also.

FuneralDeity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:48 am 

I'm in search of bands that sound like, or are very inspired by early Manes. I just love the slow, eerie atmosphere those guys created on their demos and first full length. I am aware of their new project Manii, and while it's good, I'd like to know if there's maybe some other bands out there that play that style.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:41 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Huh, for some reason I've had this band bookmarked for years but never actually listened to them. Diabolical Age is really great stuff. Definitely very Taake-ish. I guess just another example of a great band lost to that void of late 90's/early 2000's black metal oversaturation. I actually think it's really interesting/funny that Hoest was in this band for a while, during the era where they had probably some of the worst album art ever in the history of black metal.

Yup, Blackdoor Miracle has the worst album cover of any actually great album I've ever heard, I'd wager.

Oheao
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:40 pm 

Does anyone have recommendations for "happy" black metal? I guess I'm thinking of a black metal version of Lykathea Aflame.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:39 am 

Oheao wrote:
Does anyone have recommendations for "happy" black metal? I guess I'm thinking of a black metal version of Lykathea Aflame.

Off the top of my head, Barathrum's "Saatana" has some pretty upbeat tracks, specially the title-track.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:37 am 

^Some Sielunvihollinen maybe? https://sielunvihollinen.bandcamp.com/album/hautaruhtinas

Continuing the random suggestions I just found 2 bands that are totally kicking ass right now.

Don't know how I found this, but it's got the darkest, densest atmosphere while also being full of excellent guitar leads and other surprises. I really love this little gem of an EP: https://imhatarikat.bandcamp.com/album/kenoboros-ep

More straightforward, raw, aggressive and hateful stuff: https://vidargangr.bandcamp.com/album/a-world-that-has-to-be-opposed

Mikhail95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:07 pm 

Could some one give me some "trve" black metal that sounds like this please?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182, 183 ... 231  Next