Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:19 am 

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
Yeah, Virvatulet is like fucking perfect. I pestered them about when to expect the debut album and they said they'd finished a few tracks, so hopefully soon!

I hope your right Monumental. Contacted them myself last year for an update and got similar response so it is a long time coming but im sure it will be worth the wait!

Regarding Gratzug check out Norman Shores, again a similar style.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:16 am 

Hey guys

Just wondering if is there any steampunk black metal, you know post futuristic and that crap, but that carries it sound-wise, like a very industrial black metal

Any recs? (I already know about aFoS)

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:22 pm 

trollheim's grott maybe?
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

gerandumconnor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:26 pm 

Any black metal joke bands that are good musically and also manage to create a humorous satire of the genre? Also sub-genres (dsbm,nsbm,rabm,atmospheric)

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:33 pm 

You want The Black Satans?

My collection

gerandumconnor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:17 am 

XD thanks for the videos. Really helps you recover after listening to the entire Xasthur discography.

laxskinn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:14 am 

Sportlov deserves a mention too!
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sportlov/2643

LordWisdom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:04 am 

Need some DSBM with clean vocals (No Silencer please :D)

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:18 am 

I feel like most of these black metal parody bands are overly goofy in a way that ruins the humor. This video Leb Doch Selber! ("live yourself!") by Dark Kirchensteuer ("dark church tax") uses a more subtle silliness that I think is way funnier:
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:20 pm 

Anything similar to this track?
To specifiy better, what I like about it are the vocals mostly, exagerated yet still scary and not laughable, perhaps because of the lots of digital effects. The more the better, I don't care much about whether vocalists use effects or not
Also the instrumental is bombastic like resembling martial music, a militant vibe of some sort, the spoken voices on the beginning also add to that
And the raw production

The only bad part is that there's only this demo with a couple songs and that's it =/
So are there any bands similar to that?

Smolensk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:17 pm 

Hi I'm looking for Black metal in the same vein of early 90's Burzum and Mayhem, in particular the guitar sound Varg uses on the Filosofem album and first three songs Dunkelheit, Jesu Dod and Beholding the Daughters of the Firmament as well as the general sound and atmosphere of the Dawn of the Black Heart's album although I like both versions I think the sound of the guitar on this bootlegs version of Freezing Moon sounds better than the original. Vocals preferably similar to Burzum and Deads as well. Thank you

vvhiskeyfuneral
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:05 am 

The last couple albums by Aurvandil are similar to Burzum, and includes a great cover of Jesu Dod. Maybe that new Necropole and Caverne demos that got a bunch of reviews recently, both are very good but need you to turn the volume way up. I've read that Evil from Brazil sound a lot like early Burzum at times, but haven't listened to much of them. I think the split with Drowning the Light is worth checking out first, and they have a "new" album with new and old songs I think I will try to listen to myself. I haven't listened to Mayhem in years really so can't think of anything at the moment, well I can think of a ton of things that sound like Mayhem actually. Don't really know where to start with that.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:57 pm 

LordWisdom wrote:

I didn't realize Silencer had clean vocals. :scratch:

The only thing that comes to mind is a few Shining tracks like this one.

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:01 pm 

Can anyone recommend a good starting point for Les Légions Noires? I recently picked up March to the Black Holocaust and liked Vlad Tepes' half quite a bit. I know VT and Mütiilation both have pretty extensive discographies, not to mention all the other LLN bands--any suggestions on what to listen to next?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:23 pm 

Any general opinions on Aura Noir? Favorite albums/songs/riffs? If you think they fucking suck I'd love to hear about that as well. I've waited forever to get into these dudes and the time is right. I ordered Dreams Like Deserts today. Haven't sampled anything yet, purposefully, but I have this feeling that they understand exactly what I want from thrashing black metal.

How does the newer stuff stack up? I'm reading they're a bit slower now without Aggressor on drums. Does that hurt their sound or did they just tap even farther into the Frost bag of midpaced tricks?

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:07 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Any general opinions on Aura Noir? Favorite albums/songs/riffs? If you think they fucking suck I'd love to hear about that as well. I've waited forever to get into these dudes and the time is right. I ordered Dreams Like Deserts today. Haven't sampled anything yet, purposefully, but I have this feeling that they understand exactly what I want from thrashing black metal.

How does the newer stuff stack up? I'm reading they're a bit slower now without Aggressor on drums. Does that hurt their sound or did they just tap even farther into the Frost bag of midpaced tricks?

great band in my book, but to me they've lost quite a bit of ferocity with their last releases. I love their early releases and I feel their climax was that increased damnation compilation. highly recommended, their best songs in quite raw, unpolished versions - win all around.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Swindly
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:11 am 

I am looking for some bands similar to Negura Bunget in terms of atmospheric qualities and also the overall complex structures of their songs.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:44 am 

into_the_pit wrote:
Jonpo wrote:

great band in my book, but to me they've lost quite a bit of ferocity with their last releases. I love their early releases and I feel their climax was that increased damnation compilation. highly recommended, their best songs in quite raw, unpolished versions - win all around.

I saw that Increased Damnation comp it looks interesting. I'm gonna see how the EP grabs me and then go from there. I'll probably end up with their first few albums from before the "fall". I love how short the releases are. It speaks to me! I'm expecting the EP to be quite raw, I mean how else would you want to hear a filthy band like this?

Oh shit, after a bit more research it looks like the version I ordered of Dreams like Deserts actually comes with a lot of that same material from Increased Damnation tacked on as a bonus. Accidental score!

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:31 pm 

For anyone who enjoys Aura Noir I'd also recommend Ravencult. Their album Morbid Blood fuckin rips, reminds me a lot of Aura Noir's first couple LPs:

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:50 pm 

Hey guys
I'm looking for blackgaze bands but not those which play to the usual depressive/atmospheric side
rather I'm looking for bands which merge black with the happy/uplifting/indie side of shoegaze
The only band I can think of now close to what I want is Amethyst Falls, but they only have an EP...
Is there anything like that?

dimensional_ambler
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:46 pm 

Looking for black metal that combines very punky drumming and for lack of a better term, epic melodies.

Examples that come to mind:

Early Graveland
Sort Vokter 'Folkloric Necro Metal'
Moonblood 'Blut und Krieg', other earlier material
Certain Blazebirth Hall releases, eg first Forest album
Satanic Warmaster 'Black Metal Commando' (haven't liked anything else of theirs)

Don't like what I've heard of Absurd, which is probably one of the most obvious candidates.

Please bear in mind that I can't stand most modern black metal and don't have high expectations of finding something of equal quality to the releases I already mentioned. But I have mostly ignored newer things so I admit the possibility that a few gems have lain hidden in the rough unnoticed. One of my most recent pleasant surprises was discovering Ildra, which doesn't really fall into the above category, but at least gives an idea of the sort of thing I like.

Kindly quote my original post if you choose to reply, so I know you're addressing me. Thanks.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:52 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Dreams Like Deserts

So. Wow. I had a chance to get into this EP over the weekend and I'm flabbergasted. It sounds like Darkthrone got BLACKOUT drunk one night and decided to record a short thrash album. It's so great. The riffs sound legitimately dangerous and that's something most thrash can't find these days. It was also a really surprising touch that although the lyrics are grim and very negative they also seem to have a current of intensely personal meaning. Really neat stuff!

The bonus tracks "outtakes" from the Deep Tracts of Hell session let me know that I HAVE to buy that album as well. I figure I'll just go ahead and snag the first three.

Savage_jakpb
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:55 pm 

Hi. Does anyone know any band/album similar to Tormentor's ep "Seventh Day Of Doom"? It's kind of like black metal but with nwobhm influence in the riffs and rhythms. I can't think of any other ways to describe it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16GewORXfr0

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:59 pm 

Are you familiar with Master's Hammer? I would STRONGLY recommend looking into their first two albums Ritual (start here) and The Jilemnice Occultist. Tons of traditional heavy metal influence wrapped up in a love for ugly sounds and Bathory. I think you'll dig it. I'm a big fan of The 7th Day of Doom (JUST got a copy actually) as well as the legendary Anno Domini. They remind me of a slightly less cavemanish version of Sarcofago circa INRI. And that's about the highest praise I can offer a black metal band.

Iron Wizard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:17 am 

I'm looking for very raw black metal, but with a dark, cold feeling, like Immortal, but rawer.

-Ronnie James Dio, Black Sabbath- Heaven and Hell

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:32 pm 

A band to keep an eye on: Martröð with members of Aosoth, Krieg, Wormlust, Misþyrming, BAN, and also Wrest?? I can't see how this'll be anything but fantastic. Anyone have any more info on this?

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:48 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
The bonus tracks "outtakes" from the Deep Tracts of Hell session let me know that I HAVE to buy that album as well. I figure I'll just go ahead and snag the first three.

Deep Tracts of Hell rules Jonpo - really solid/lethal black thrash. The angular, razor-wire riff fest is a gloriously feverish, torture celebration with rusty hooks everywhere, so yeah, definitely pick that one up.

Also don't discredit the excellent Ravencult mention - this Greek band are proper good black/thrash, that has plenty of wicked song writing skills teamed with a brilliant production and sense of dynamics. Well worth shelling out for. Check it.

Iron Wizard wrote:
I'm looking for very raw black metal, but with a dark, cold feeling, like Immortal, but rawer.

Have you heard Germany's Graupel, and more to the point, their Am Pranger album? Similarities can be (loosely) drawn to Pure Holocaust era Immortal, but I feel it's a lot darker and more powerful.

Armagedda might also interest you. Slight Immortal vibe, with some killer song writing.

Similarities to Immortal may be extremely thin here, but if you want some raw and cold black metal, then Har Shatan are well worth a look.

Again, tenuous at best, Immortal comparison, but it's certainly raw. Abyssic Hate.

My collection

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:54 pm 

I'm definitely not sleeping on Ravencult I just like taking my time. I've got them filed away in the ol' noggin.

Deep Tracts of Hell has to be great. And The Merciless is so short I assume it's a ripcord-pull of savagery. I don't know why I waited so long to get up on Aura Noir. I think part of me knew they were gonna be great so I didn't feel like there was any rush? I'm jamming Volahns second album right now. Might toss in Dreams Like Deserts after this. Volahn is revealing it's mysteries to me though. It's so bright and colorful. But relentless. Like if Transilvanian Hunger was nothing but major chord riffing and songs about Aztecs.

Mattycakes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:48 pm 

Looking for bands similar to Infernal War... Ones who have a death/thrash riff structure but still deliver that grinding tremolo black metal tone and fierce blast beats..

Last edited by Mattycakes on Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:41 am 

LordWisdom wrote:
A
Austere, lost in desolation, sterbend.....if that's the kind of clean you meant?

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:44 pm 

Karlabos wrote:
Hey guys
I'm looking for blackgaze bands but not those which play to the usual depressive/atmospheric side
rather I'm looking for bands which merge black with the happy/uplifting/indie side of shoegaze
The only band I can think of now close to what I want is Amethyst Falls, but they only have an EP...
Is there anything like that?

Hmm... The first album that came to mind with that description was Gone by Autumn's Dawn. It's a bit more rock and a bit less darkwave than the Amethyst Falls sample though.

gerandumconnor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:26 am 

I have recently really gotten into DSBM and I am looking for some new stuff preferably done by one person with lots of keyboards and vocals that sound like that of a suicide victim or dying cat (simply bloodcurdling) please, I like them but no Silencer.

Lowtide85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:36 am 

Hello everyone,

I know this has been probably asked before but I'd like some recommendations based on bands like Peste Noire (first LP and La Chaise-Dyable) and Nokturnal Mortum (Lunar Poetry, Weltanschauung.)

Thanks in advance!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:07 pm 

Lowtide85 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I know this has been probably asked before but I'd like some recommendations based on bands like Peste Noire (first LP and La Chaise-Dyable) and Nokturnal Mortum (Lunar Poetry, Weltanschauung.)

Thanks in advance!

Kind of vague, but maybe you'd like Dub Buk.

Lowtide85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:19 pm 

Shit, and here I was thinking I had been more specific than before. Ok, I'll try and describe what I'm looking for: European folk arrangements embeded in the songs or between tracks and lyrics dealing with european roots and traditions.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:38 pm 

You might really dig the Ildra album, then.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

deathtoandersfriden
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:38 pm 

Anyone know bands like Lauxnos? I'm admittedly new to black metal, but I'm pretty sure they fall under the category. Listen to "My Dead Ocean II" if you're unfamiliar with them and tell me what you think. Thanks.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:39 pm 

Mattycakes wrote:
Looking for bands similar to Infernal War... Ones who have a death/thrash riff structure but still deliver that grinding tremolo black metal tone and fierce blast beats..

This...

I just discovered this band. This is bad ass and I think it describes what you're looking for.

Like your reviews?

StealthX
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:03 pm 

LordWisdom wrote:

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:23 am 

Looking for Atmospheric/Symphonic bands like Septic Flesh ...specially like in Sumerian Daemons or Titan .

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149 ... 231  Next