Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ChefforaGorgon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:02 pm 

Please, help me to find the song I’ve been searching for about five years. I’ve listened it in 2010, so the only reliable feature, I remember, is using the whole theme from the “Evil Dead” movie (1981) -

If I’m not mistaken, it also has a raw, fuzzy, bleak sound and atmosphere, similar to Obscurité and Moon (Australia).

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:24 am 

Looking for more black metal with low, mostly treble-free guitars and low, at best growled vocals, BUT pure black metal, not death metal in any way. Example: Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon

As you know I prefer stuff from the previous century. Anyone suggesting anything with melody faces death by inverted crucifixion.

And I'd prefer real drums, too. But the latter isn't a must if there's electronic drums that aren't too bothersome.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:50 am 

droneriot wrote:
Looking for more black metal with low, mostly treble-free guitars and low, at best growled vocals, BUT pure black metal, not death metal in any way. Example: Beherit - Drawing Down the Moon

As you know I prefer stuff from the previous century. Anyone suggesting anything with melody faces death by inverted crucifixion.

And I'd prefer real drums, too. But the latter isn't a must if there's electronic drums that aren't too bothersome.

'Drawing Down The Moon' has melody as well. Any riff has melody. I know what you mean, though.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:41 pm 

Does anyone else like Borgne? They're releasing new music soon, and their preview track is awesome.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:53 am 

STORMM wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Looking for black metal that has some kind of nature feel to it. Something that makes you wander off in thoughts to amazing landscapes and forests. Think Arckanum, Horn, Trollskogen, early Taake etc.

Try Waldgefluster and Imperium Dekadenz, especially the last album. Switzerland's Forest of Fog are more on the melodic side, not to dissimilar to Taake, great band all the same. Would Kroda be too obvious Ardbeg?

Rauhnåcht are a fine band too, they label themselves or himself for that matter as Alpine Black Metal and I think the music speaks for itself...

Thanks, but all of these bands are too..Polished for me. I'm thinking more in the lines of this:

The 6:30 mark pinpoints exactly the feel I'm looking for.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:19 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Thanks, but all of these bands are too..Polished for me. I'm thinking more in the lines of this:

The 6:30 mark pinpoints exactly the feel I'm looking for.

I see Ardbeg. You should check out some of Fog's other projects especially Norman Shores, they share similarities music wise to Aurvandil. Gratzug would be another worthy one to check. The later albums get more epic in nature.

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:26 am 

Maybe Beskyd and Eisflammen?

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:33 am 

Fuck. The new Fluisteraars is amazing:

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:57 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Funny enough I began listening to it last night and the tracks I head were indeed great. Great band.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:20 am 

Yeah, the Dutch black metal scene is doing really good at the moment. I wonder what you think of this:

I wonder, as I know the folks, plus I'm Dutch. With what bands would you compare the sounds of all three bands? It's fun to hear someone more distanced from the bands talk about it.

romeARisque
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:14 pm 

STORMM wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Funny enough I began listening to it last night and the tracks I head were indeed great. Great band.

It's better with it :!

https://aluktodolo.bandcamp.com/album/descension
I have not heard the other albums...

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:32 pm 

Quote:
Ok, I believe this one might be a little tricky. I'm looking for a very specific kind of sound not usually common in black metal.

I want a band with good production values where all instruments are not only clearly identifiable but sound crisp and clean, to enhance the aggressiveness of the sound, so no lo-fi nonsense. There must be a strong focus on musicianship. I want great guitar work with riffs being at the center stage, maybe a little of prog in there for good measure, maybe even some solos, no 3 chords punk songs kinda stuff. Also, strong drumming, busy, varied, creative, not just steady beats to follow the guitars. Big plus also if I can actually hear some bass!! With that said, I still want the band to be black metal, so it should have a cold, evil, menacing vibe and this epic (in a non cheesy way!!) grandeur the best black metal bands can conjure.

If it helps a bit, imagine a parallel universe where Emperor are a bit edgier and way less pompous with less focus on keyboards but still maintain their epic nature, their incredible musicianship and flirt a bit with other genres (prog, death metal) while still being black metal.

Thanks guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FKjDJDZQ3w

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:29 am 

therealvivs wrote:
Ok, I believe this one might be a little tricky. I'm looking for a very specific kind of sound not usually common in black metal.

I want a band with good production values where all instruments are not only clearly identifiable but sound crisp and clean, to enhance the aggressiveness of the sound, so no lo-fi nonsense. There must be a strong focus on musicianship. I want great guitar work with riffs being at the center stage, maybe a little of prog in there for good measure, maybe even some solos, no 3 chords punk songs kinda stuff. Also, strong drumming, busy, varied, creative, not just steady beats to follow the guitars. Big plus also if I can actually hear some bass!! With that said, I still want the band to be black metal, so it should have a cold, evil, menacing vibe and this epic (in a non cheesy way!!) grandeur the best black metal bands can conjure.

If it helps a bit, imagine a parallel universe where Emperor are a bit edgier and way less pompous with less focus on keyboards but still maintain their epic nature, their incredible musicianship and flirt a bit with other genres (prog, death metal) while still being black metal.

Thanks guys!

I give you Nidingr. Subgenre: bald-headed black metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lML-iI71qmY

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:41 am 

This might be a bit of a bizarre request, but are there any black metal bands that have a grimy riff-trance like Weakling, but also have majestic film score keyboards like Summoning?

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:50 am 

I Shalt Become is the closest i can think of: You can check out Poison, wich is probably their best album

Roxyben
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:34 am 

Looking for an black metal album that has a fish on it? Like some kind of deep sea fish, if I remember right they were French. Depressive black metal possibly. This is just for my own curiosity. Remember coming across this album some years ago but the bands name just totally eludes me!

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:41 pm 

Roxyben wrote:
Looking for an black metal album that has a fish on it? Like some kind of deep sea fish, if I remember right they were French. Depressive black metal possibly. This is just for my own curiosity. Remember coming across this album some years ago but the bands name just totally eludes me!

Here you go.

Roxyben
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:42 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Roxyben wrote:

Here you go.

Thats the one! Thanks!!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:25 pm 

droneriot wrote:

I hope Demoncy from the US aren't a too obvious rec? Especially the Joined In Darkness album.

Or perhaps the Greek goat worshipers of Impure Worship?

Sri Lanka's Genocide Shrines might fit the bill, unless of course they are leaning too far into death metal territory for you.

My collection

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:27 pm 

Something in the vein of Burzum's 'Hvis Liset Tar Oss' album?

SSatanicSSatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:00 pm 

I am looking for oldschool bestial metal in the vein of early Dethroned Christ and Goatpenis. I am not looking for bands with the typical Brazilian sound. I am a big fan of early Sepultura and Sarcofago but I am not looking for bands with a different sound. I am not looking for bands that sound to similar to Blasphemy or Conquoror either though I like those band. I want their to be quite a few slower riffs as well as faster riffs and the production has to be very raw. Don't bother mentioning well known bands as I probably know them. The production on Countess's debut album is production similar to what I am looking for but I am looking for music that sounds more bestial/war BM then Countess. I have been getting into Bestial Summoning and this band also sounds quite alot like what I am looking for. Hellhammer has a few characheristics win common with what I am looking for but I want something more "bestial" than Hellhammer. Lord of Evil is another band that sounds something like I am looking for. I can't think of any other bands that sound quite like what I am looking for.

Dethroned Christ

This is labled as a rehersal here but this song is from the Semen 1992 - Anno Domini release. It was recorded in 1992.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:56 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Galdr is really good stuff.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

LuciferionGalaxy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:13 pm 

therealvivs wrote:

Thanks guys!

I don't know about being less pompous, however, the band from Germany called "Hidden in the Fog" might be exactly what you're looking for. A proggier Emperor if you will.

-LG

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:25 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

I will check it out tonight!

Thornium2002
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:59 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I will check it out tonight!

Galdr are amazing!

That Severoth album reminds me of Hvis... not only once... Check it out

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:19 am 

Just saw Fiendish Nymph in the latest updates on the main page, and while they're pretty fruity, it made me wonder if there are any good forgotten Hellenic BM gems? Bands nobody ever talks about because they only got a demo out or something, but which could have made an impact if their career had taken off. Anything like that?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:08 pm 

I can't think of any at the moment. The Greek scene seems like one of those where the best bands are also the most well known.

I would recommend giving a newer band called Necromantic Worship a listen. They put out a demo or maybe an EP called "Spirit of the Entrance Unto Death". It's weird, bass driven, and obviously inspired by the early Hellenic scene but also some old Finnish stuff like Beherit (Drawing, not Oath). It's pretty short and a bit of a curio. Interested to see what they do next.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:45 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

I like the debut album, the 2nd somewhat less. But yes, this is the sound I'm looking for:

More recommendations in this vein?

13 minutes in is so Burzum.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:47 am 

Thornium2002 wrote:
Galdr are amazing!

That Severoth album reminds me of Hvis... not only once... Check it out

Severoth is interesting, thanks for that. Might as well check out Galdr too since I'm at it. :P

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:23 pm 

Hermodr is quite similar to Hvis... era Burzum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL04eZc__RU

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:37 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Raate's "Demo I" is somewhat similar, albeit a bit softer and the feeling is less desolate and more dreamy like Burzum's Fallen - still strikingly derivative of Hvis. Gnome's "Under the Black Moon" (The Forest and The Sea) is also very similar in a way. It hits certain feelings in a very similar way, but doesn't develop them as much.

What do you think of the more stripped down, minimalistic take on this style, perhaps more akin to earlier Burzum? I Shalt Become's first three progressed from guitar-oriented to synth-oriented while having an even more desolate emotional angle, Nidhoggr was sorrowful and wandering like early Burzum, and Wigrid was very simple but the second album had a similar end-point as HLTO while not really building up much on the way there. Perhaps something a bit more removed and less compositionally involved, like Misanthropy's "Suffer O Crucified Bastard," Draugurz' compilation (both versions break the flow differently, though) or Woodsmarch's split with Draugurz?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:57 pm 

Amosofnlm wrote:
Hermodr is quite similar to Hvis... era Burzum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL04eZc__RU

This is addictive! Damn, that's some good black metal right there! :nods:

fengarm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:53 am 

therealvivs wrote:

Thanks guys!

To me it sounds like you're talking about the two of more legendary Estonian bands Tharaphita (pagan black metal with heavy and thrash influences) and Loits (militant flak'n'roll).

Tharaphita - Ristikatk (Plague of the Cross) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz586tra2dU

Loits - Aeg Ärgata (Time to Awake) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyvY_UVOzt8

Tharaphita - Ülestõus (Uprising) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsAEkeem3kU

Loits - Kodu (Home) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEjP5lT8jng

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:15 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Raate's "Demo I" is somewhat similar, albeit a bit softer and the feeling is less desolate and more dreamy like Burzum's Fallen - still strikingly derivative of Hvis. Gnome's "Under the Black Moon" (The Forest and The Sea) is also very similar in a way. It hits certain feelings in a very similar way, but doesn't develop them as much.

What do you think of the more stripped down, minimalistic take on this style, perhaps more akin to earlier Burzum? I Shalt Become's first three progressed from guitar-oriented to synth-oriented while having an even more desolate emotional angle, Nidhoggr was sorrowful and wandering like early Burzum, and Wigrid was very simple but the second album had a similar end-point as HLTO while not really building up much on the way there. Perhaps something a bit more removed and less compositionally involved, like Misanthropy's "Suffer O Crucified Bastard," Draugurz' compilation (both versions break the flow differently, though) or Woodsmarch's split with Draugurz?

Raate I wasn't familiar with. It sounds like a blatant copy of Burzum at times. Gnome and the, I knew already. Thanks for the recommendations.

Ok. Last but not least, looking for something that radiates a feeling like this. At 55 seconds ongoing:

To me, it's up there with the likes of 'For All Tid' and 'Störmblast', one of the best black metal releases ever. I wish Galder wasn't such a Shagrath fanboy and didn't follow him any direction he went.

Metal81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:08 pm 

New Gratzug arrived in the mail today! Comes in a beautiful wax-sealed envelope, similar to the Paysage digipaks.

Rough mix of one of the tracks:

Looking forward to diving into this tomorrow. Offenbarung has been one of my favorites finds of the last couple years, so I have high hopes for this.

Cheers

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:32 am 

Metal81 wrote:
New Gratzug arrived in the mail today! Comes in a beautiful wax-sealed envelope, similar to the Paysage digipaks.

Rough mix of one of the tracks:

Looking forward to diving into this tomorrow. Offenbarung has been one of my favorites finds of the last couple years, so I have high hopes for this.

Cheers

This sounds amazing.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:01 am 

Gratzug's 'aight. His split with Virvatulet was the best I've heard of his stuff so far. I have that split, Bei da Nacht, and then Offenbarung, both of which are a little thin and airy almost. That preview track seemed to have a bit more meat than the others. I do wish he'd tone it down on the keys and vocal processing though.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:40 pm 

Metal81 wrote:
New Gratzug arrived in the mail today!

Shit! Hope mine arrives soon, been eagerly awaiting it. I think this time he has gone in a more epic direction so all the more excited for this one.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:43 pm 

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
Gratzug's 'aight. His split with Virvatulet was the best I've heard of his stuff so far. I have that split, Bei da Nacht, and then Offenbarung, both of which are a little thin and airy almost. That preview track seemed to have a bit more meat than the others. I do wish he'd tone it down on the keys and vocal processing though.

The split was an excellent release indeed which leads me to say that Virvatulet's debut is on the horizon and due for release pretty soon I believe. Now this should be soemthing special indeed, I hope!

Metal81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:03 pm 

STORMM wrote:
Metal81 wrote:
New Gratzug arrived in the mail today!

Shit! Hope mine arrives soon, been eagerly awaiting it. I think this time he has gone in a more epic direction so all the more excited for this one.

Dude, you'll love the packaging, they did a great job.

After my first run through the album I am really impressed. I agree that it is more epic, and it still maintains the melancholic/uplifting tremolos that I loved on the last full length.

Look forward to hearing your take on it once it arrives!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152, 153 ... 231  Next