* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheCryptologist
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:21 am 

Idolsofchagrin wrote:
Kanoj wrote:
Looking for stuff similar to Anaal Nathrakh. I enjoy all their stuff but it's all different. In short, just violent, brutal sound, but with good production values. Never even heard anything close to Anaal's style and they keep evolving. Really enjoying their new album, took me a few listens to really like it, now I think it's up there with their best work.

Has any band even come close to their style of music? Please let me know.

I'm also a huge A.N. fan and I don't know any band that REALLY sounds a whole lot like Anaal Nathrakh but there are several that have similarities, though I really don't think they belong in a black metal thread as I see A.N. as being a mixture of black, death and grindcore amongst other styles.

I would recommend Dragged Into Sunlight who are really sick but they have more sludge in their style than A.N.

I would also recommend both Mistress and Fukpig, both of whom have both members of A.N., however, Mistress is much more of a sludge band and Fukpig has a lot more crust punk in it than A.N.

In a way I also see a few small similarities between A.N. and the Berzerker in terms of the grindcore and small industrial elements but The Berzerker is also certainly not a black metal band and overall they aren't really all that much like A.N.

Another couple bands you might like that have some small similarities with Anaal Nathrakh are Repvblika and Absvrdist.

Repvblika:

http://youtu.be/Z3cix7PP_eM

http://youtu.be/chkLbqyG12A

Absvrdist:

http://youtu.be/l1iTULIImuQ

http://youtu.be/jx2O-cZdLQk

I'm not sure any band has the same sound as Anaal Nathrakh, but any "war metal" band should be somewhat similar, considering it's usually a combination of grindcore and black metal. Search war metal bands and you might find something promising.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:15 pm 

androdion wrote:
TheCryptologist wrote:

I like Wodensthrone, but they seem more on the extreme side and occasionally the blackened doom side rather than atmospheric.

How about stuff more on the harsher lo-fi end of the spectrum? You know, Paysage D'Hiver/Darkspace soundalikes and all.

Try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjeqT0pxKqQ

I went ahead and checked this out myself. It's La Seigneurie Des Loups by Neige et Noirceur for those of you who couldn't be bothered to click. I think I'm actually hooked. How does the rest of the band's discography stack up with this album?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:02 am 

No idea Willy, I'm only familiar with that particular one. Maybe STORMM can shed some light on it, I think he was the one who recommended it to me a while back. ;)

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:47 pm 

TheCryptologist wrote:
I'm not sure any band has the same sound as Anaal Nathrakh, but any "war metal" band should be somewhat similar, considering it's usually a combination of grindcore and black metal. Search war metal bands and you might find something promising.

most war metal isn't very grindy and i wouldn't say anaal nathrakh is very similar to war metal either. bands like goat penis are kinda grindy i guess But not very much like anaal nathrakh.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:09 pm 

^ IDK. Maybe I am not up on my current NWN pet band war/bestial/whatever metal, but I always associated the sound very heavily with old school UK grindcore.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:43 am 

I'm really, really digging this Angmar album lately, it also has no reviews so I think it may be up on the chopping block. Really atmospheric with a lot of mellow parts, but also gets extremely harsh and fast. Somewhere in between Drudkh and Paysage D'hiver I think, quite a monster album I suggest everyone to check out \m/

This is such an epic 20 minute song:

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:58 am 

androdion wrote:
No idea Willy, I'm only familiar with that particular one. Maybe STORMM can shed some light on it, I think he was the one who recommended it to me a while back. ;)

I could well have mate but if I am honest I can not remember there work very well, so not much help Wilytank, its been a while. I will try and refresh this later though.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:02 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
I'm really, really digging this Angmar album lately, it also has no reviews so I think it may be up on the chopping block. Really atmospheric with a lot of mellow parts, but also gets extremely harsh and fast. Somewhere in between Drudkh and Paysage D'hiver I think, quite a monster album I suggest everyone to check out \m/

This is such an epic 20 minute song:

Another blast from the past mate, I can remember ddiscvering the through Norman Shores (another good band). The guy behind Norman Shores and Aurvandil used to be in Angmar and I can remember their work being quite good so thanks for the reminder Sick6Six, I will check out on my lunch break.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:53 am 

I'd like some black metal with an element of actual fun. You know, in the spirit of Venom or Mercyful Fate with an overly eccentric attitude to things and a certain playful distance to the material instead of all out grimness and despair. Recent examples in the form of songs would be "Demon For A Day" by Hail Spirit Noir or "Myr" by Taake with its Banjo Breakdown (Edit: AND LET'S NOT FORGET DARKTHRONE'S RECENT EFFORTS!!).

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:18 pm 

why wrote:
I'd like some black metal with an element of actual fun. You know, in the spirit of Venom or Mercyful Fate with an overly eccentric attitude to things and a certain playful distance to the material instead of all out grimness and despair. Recent examples in the form of songs would be "Demon For A Day" by Hail Spirit Noir or "Myr" by Taake with its Banjo Breakdown (Edit: AND LET'S NOT FORGET DARKTHRONE'S RECENT EFFORTS!!).

Check out Barathrum's album "Saatana", especially the title track and "Helluva Agitator".

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:52 am 

Unity wrote:
why wrote:

Check out Barathrum's album "Saatana", especially the title track and "Helluva Agitator".

Thank you for the recommendation, I quite like the songs and will check out the album :)

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:27 pm 

You're welcome! :)

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:51 am 

bug_man wrote:
TheCryptologist wrote:

most war metal isn't very grindy and i wouldn't say anaal nathrakh is very similar to war metal either. bands like goat penis are kinda grindy i guess But not very much like anaal nathrakh.

He was probably thinking of Blasphemy, and perhaps the other Ross Bay-affiliated bands like Conqueror or Revenge, who certainly do have a degree of grind and/or thrashcore (AKA proto-grind) influence in their sound. Which obviously doesn't hold for all "war metal" bands by a long shot.

flightoficarus86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:20 am 

Unity wrote:
why wrote:

Obvious choice coming to mind is Carpathian Forest's Black Shining Leather. Only True Believers has a bit of that vibe as well.

traditiondieshere
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:06 pm 

why wrote:

Kanoj
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:02 pm 

Idolsofchagrin wrote:
Kanoj wrote:
Looking for stuff similar to Anaal Nathrakh. I enjoy all their stuff but it's all different. In short, just violent, brutal sound, but with good production values. Never even heard anything close to Anaal's style and they keep evolving. Really enjoying their new album, took me a few listens to really like it, now I think it's up there with their best work.

Has any band even come close to their style of music? Please let me know.

I'm also a huge A.N. fan and I don't know any band that REALLY sounds a whole lot like Anaal Nathrakh but there are several that have similarities, though I really don't think they belong in a black metal thread as I see A.N. as being a mixture of black, death and grindcore amongst other styles.

I would recommend Dragged Into Sunlight who are really sick but they have more sludge in their style than A.N.

I would also recommend both Mistress and Fukpig, both of whom have both members of A.N., however, Mistress is much more of a sludge band and Fukpig has a lot more crust punk in it than A.N.

In a way I also see a few small similarities between A.N. and the Berzerker in terms of the grindcore and small industrial elements but The Berzerker is also certainly not a black metal band and overall they aren't really all that much like A.N.

Another couple bands you might like that have some small similarities with Anaal Nathrakh are Repvblika and Absvrdist.

Repvblika:

http://youtu.be/Z3cix7PP_eM

http://youtu.be/chkLbqyG12A

Absvrdist:

http://youtu.be/l1iTULIImuQ

http://youtu.be/jx2O-cZdLQk

Yeah I guess it was a stretch asking for similar to AN in this thread. Some great suggestions here though, thanks a lot! Mistress and Repvblika added to spotify playlist so far.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:40 pm 

why wrote:

this guy maybe, he's silly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkyhjs-LazU

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:18 pm 

Anybody heard the new Svartsyn EP? I just noticed its existence. Sick cover art too
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Svartsyn/Nightmarish_Sleep/477641

daulatneupane
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:26 pm 

I'm actually new to black metal music...I've only dug into it since last month...I've recently listened to the essentials as mentioned in this thread. My exploration as of now includes bands like Bathory. Burzum, Darkthrone, Immortal, Emperor, Mayhem, Blut Aus Nord, Darkspace, Drudkh, Windir, Dissection, Ulver, Paysage d'Hiver, Lunar Aurora, October Falls,Evlfeast, Gorgoroth, Primordial, Trist and few others..Well I liked them all. I guess I have a pretty varied taste but is there a pattern here? I like Atmospheric black metal, that's for sure. The music that sort of surrounds me with a dark and cold atmosphere, very chilling. Like Drudkh and Burzum to be precise. Please recommend me some bands like them. Actually I paint environments so I really like such music that generate a kind of virtual environment. Thanks in advance..

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:40 pm 

^Welcome! Check the stuff we have been posting on the last couple pages, lots of atmospheric stuff. Mgla is another pretty well known band now with excellent dark atmosphere, definitely start checking out some Finnish stuff like Sargeist and Baptism if you haven't already.

daulatneupane
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:14 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions Sick6Six..

I'm really diggin into them. Just finished the Drudkh's Microcosm, after Forgotten Legends, Autumn Aurora and Blood in our wells. Damn I love each one of them. Will look now into Baptism. Thanks.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:23 pm 

daulatneupane wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions Sick6Six..

I'm really diggin into them. Just finished the Drudkh's Microcosm, after Forgotten Legends, Autumn Aurora and Blood in our wells. Damn I love each one of them. Will look now into Baptism. Thanks.

I think Forgotten Legends is my favorite followed by Microcosmos strangely enough... If you really like Drudkh you should check out stuff from the previous page like Imperium Dekadenz, Wodensthrone, Angantyr (Denmark) Winterfylleth, Sentimen Beltza, Fluisteraars, Angmar (France). Also I'm sure you're aware of Drudkh members other projects like Blood of Kingu and the old Hate Forest

daulatneupane
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:31 pm 

Thanks Sick6Six for the suggestions...Wodensthrone sounds really good...I hope the others are great too..

And I didn't know of Blood of kingu and Old hate forest..sure will check them out..

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:57 pm 

Haha, no, it's just Hate Forest.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:34 pm 

The dudes in Drudkh were also involved in a band called Old Silver Key though. However, nobody likes that band. :lol:

daulatneupane
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:57 am 

Damn I loved Wodensthrone...That's really some awesome music there. Have anyone heard Saor - Aura? I was hooked as soon as i heard the first song. Loving every second of it.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:07 pm 

Saor sounds really good, but I haven't listened to much more than a sample. Maybe I will give them a listen this weekend when I'm in a chill mood, their music seems very relaxing.

daulatneupane
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:20 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Saor sounds really good, but I haven't listened to much more than a sample. Maybe I will give them a listen this weekend when I'm in a chill mood, their music seems very relaxing.

Yeah, very relaxing. It's an amazing blend of Scottish melodies in Black Metal. Really liked it. Anyways, please recommend some bands like Blut Aus Nord, I really liked their sound. Thanks.

Kanoj
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:56 pm 

daulatneupane wrote:
I'm actually new to black metal music...I've only dug into it since last month...I've recently listened to the essentials as mentioned in this thread. My exploration as of now includes bands like Bathory. Burzum, Darkthrone, Immortal, Emperor, Mayhem, Blut Aus Nord, Darkspace, Drudkh, Windir, Dissection, Ulver, Paysage d'Hiver, Lunar Aurora, October Falls,Evlfeast, Gorgoroth, Primordial, Trist and few others..Well I liked them all. I guess I have a pretty varied taste but is there a pattern here? I like Atmospheric black metal, that's for sure. The music that sort of surrounds me with a dark and cold atmosphere, very chilling. Like Drudkh and Burzum to be precise. Please recommend me some bands like them. Actually I paint environments so I really like such music that generate a kind of virtual environment. Thanks in advance..

Have you checked out Taake yet? Several high quality BM albums. Nattestid, Bjoergvin and Hordalands Dødskvad are near perfect black metal albums. Noregs Våpen is also incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WXFZPac8AU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPqIRPgI9Es

Also didn't see Satyricon in your list, though you have probably checked them out. Their first three albums are amazing, not a fan of the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNu8RSDPiwE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aRGqg2kIJ4

Could also be worth checking out Enslaved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_thSY0o48h4

And 1349, while not exactly atmospheric, have some incredible stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZug9y81Axk

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:58 pm 

daulatneupane wrote:
Sick6Six wrote:

Yeah, very relaxing. It's an amazing blend of Scottish melodies in Black Metal. Really liked it. Anyways, please recommend some bands like Blut Aus Nord, I really liked their sound. Thanks.

I like the first three songs as background music well enough. The last two songs really bore me though.

Hey, guys, I know it was posted in here before but Totenburg's Endzeit is really, really good. I mean, just listen to this shit.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:18 am 

MonumentalBlackArt: Yep, especially Inferno and Im Chaos erloschen.

daulatneupane
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:11 am 

@Kanoj: Taake was super awesome. Thanks a lot. :hyper:

And I also listened to several other bands, like Sombres Forets, Elysian Blaze, Evilfeast, Primordial, October Falls ( A womb of Primordial Nature). Recommend me others like these, receding vocals, but more heavy noise like Darkspace( I've already heard Paysage d'Hiver and Lunar Aurora). Also please suggest more bands like Taake and windir ( not similar to both of them but like each of them)

Thanks in advance.

Murtal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:46 am 

I have a such problem;despite I listen black metal for already 1,5 year - I have already almost all the genres of black and I l've been listening a lot of albums, I have a feeling that I don't know many things,bands, and good albums.

So please link good albums not only mainstream bands

I need speed and good instrumental

thank you

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:13 am 

Murtal wrote:
I have a such problem;despite I listen black metal for already 1,5 year - I have already almost all the genres of black and I l've been listening a lot of albums, I have a feeling that I don't know many things,bands, and good albums.

thank you

this is pretty hard to answer if you don't actually say what you've listened to. like give some detail on which subgenres or scenes you've covered specifically.

Murtal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:23 am 

bug_man wrote:
Murtal wrote:

thank you

this is pretty hard to answer if you don't actually say what you've listened to. like give some detail on which subgenres or scenes you've covered specifically.

As for genres, I listen to almost all black metal subgenres:
Atmospheric,raw, melodic, symphonic and depressive.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:18 pm 

I am looking for stuff with really dense, dark and sinister soundscapes, and perhaps an otherworldy feel to it as well. The best examples I can think of right now are Ruins of Beverast and some of Darkspace's stuff as well.

Ruins of Beverast - 50 Forts Along the Rhine (I particularly am looking for stuff like the first 2:20 or so of this song)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQQD1UjiqEc

Darkspace - Darkspace 2.10.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB6zW4xnUWk

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:59 pm 

Could Turdus Merula be anywhere near what you're looking for? It's perhaps not as menacing as Meilenwald's stuff but to be fair not much is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQhwUvnMBqM
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:30 pm 

Today, I dug Abyssmal Nocturne's From the Astral Abyss out of my collection. It's a rather obscure symphonic black metal album, but aside from some occasional sloppy drum work it's a really solid piece of music.

I wonder what happened to these guys. This album was from 2005 and apparently they've had new music since 2010, but they've released nothing and their relevant links (including their label) are old.

Tod_Im_Juni
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:24 am 

Murtal wrote:

thank you

Barshashketh - Sitra Achra

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:28 am 

AcidWorm wrote:
I am looking for stuff with really dense, dark and sinister soundscapes, and perhaps an otherworldy feel to it as well. The best examples I can think of right now are Ruins of Beverast and some of Darkspace's stuff as well.

Check out Malus - The Beauty of Doom. Intense and dark black metal stuff combined with some dreamlike synth passages. Doesn't have the murky production of Rain or Darkspace, though.

Also, Fyrnask's Eldir Nött. Some things about it remind me of Altar of Plagues' White Tomb, but the production is more like Darkspace and the atmosphere much hazier and darker.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142 ... 231  Next