Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:59 pm 

Zerstorer1611 wrote:
Hi, I'm looking for atmospheric black metal with little to no use of keyboards and synths, preferably fast to mid paced, kind of like the Quebecois Black Metal scene, which is one of my favorites... They sound really atmospheric, mournful, and dirty yet fast and ferocious at the same time, and they don't overuse synths like so many other bands do..

Thanks.

I highly recommended you check out Germany's Horn, wonderful band with an extremely solid discography, especially the early albums. Quite unique sounding band which is a bonus. Some keyboards are used but they are sparse. Personally they have always been a favourite of mine, take time and explore his albums, you should not be disappointed.

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:38 pm 

I am in the mood for extremely repetitive black metal but I don't know many bands like this. I've been listening to Beherit - Engram and I'm loving it! I am mostly looking for mid-paced but if it's fast and repetitive that'll do too. Thanks in advance!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:11 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Can anyone recommend material along the general lines of Mgla's "Power and Will" pieces?

[
Think clear, melodic, catchy riffs that still maintain an unwholesome or devilish vibe, preferably with lower-budget production. I'm guessing there might be a lot in the Finnish and Quebecois scenes to relate to this request, and that's fine, since I'm not too familiar with either of them.

Maybe Sorcier Des Glaces Starmare, especially this album. Maybe faster drumming in parts but a similar guitar approach with an underlying evil vibe.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:03 pm 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
I'm looking for some help. I want some good black metal that's technical, or at least more technically proficient than the bulk of black metal. I've listened to Direwolf, pretty good stuff, close to what I'm looking for. Fallujah has some blackened elements that occasionally sound like what I'm looking for. The proggier Enslaved stuff, Dissection, that's pretty close I what I'm looking for. It doesn't have to be straight up shred your nuts off tech, but at least proficient and dynamic playing. Big plus if the lyrical themes and aesthetics aren't goofy over the top Satanic shtick.

I'm sure I've rec'd this band before, probably multiple times, so apologies for the redundancy, but Vehementer Nos.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:05 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Can anyone recommend material along the general lines of Mgla's "Power and Will" pieces?

Think clear, melodic, catchy riffs that still maintain an unwholesome or devilish vibe, preferably with lower-budget production. I'm guessing there might be a lot in the Finnish and Quebecois scenes to relate to this request, and that's fine, since I'm not too familiar with either of them.

Give these a try - Grail, Sad and Ephemer

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:39 pm 

Seconding the hell out of Ephemer, I need a copy of that second demo. For my two cents Starmere, I'll add Caverne from France to that list of Beer Baron's, as it's similar to Ephemer (with long track lengths).

Ni le Lieu, ni l'Heure
Ma Race

Grimbeard wrote:
I am in the mood for extremely repetitive black metal but I don't know many bands like this. I've been listening to Beherit - Engram and I'm loving it! I am mostly looking for mid-paced but if it's fast and repetitive that'll do too. Thanks in advance!

As for this request, you should definitely check out Sweden's Matricide, and in particular the powerfully, bleak (yet majestic) and black as hell Holy Virgin mini album. Fucking great stuff.

Holy Virgin
Perditor (Fördärbarren)

Another repetitive, but intricately woven, brilliantly melodic band I'll recommend is Christicide from France. The song writing and hypnotic construction is second to none. Stunning band, and both of their full length albums are amazing.

Andematunnum
Solitude With The Devil

My collection

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:11 pm 

After listening to Yearning a few times I have to say I really like it. It's not extraordinary but it's solid in what it does, although I do think that I Summon Scorn and Gylfi's Journey sound a bit like filler. The rest of Aurvandil's works are a bit more traditional sounding aren't they? The little that I've heard of Ferd and Thrones seemed much less focused on the atmosphere achieved on Yearning, less emotional and wintry and more of your typical second wave worship. Am I right or wrong in that assessment?

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:34 pm 

CrushedRevelation, as always your recommendation's are spot on! Excellent stuff thanks!

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:05 pm 

Sick6Six: Fucking awesome recs! I loved Sacrificium Carmen and Blood of the Moon, but the real gem, for me, was Propast. Just absolutely grim and vile shit. The other bands I didn't like for various reasons, but I still appreciate it!

MonumentalBlackArt: I have heard of YAITW, and I was never really a fan. However, one of the member's projects, Worsen, is fucking bleak and full of filthy sounds, so if you haven't heard it, check it out! As far as Fukpig, it's alright, but it seems more on the grind side to me. Not that that's a bad thing at all, but it's just something I haven't been in the mood to listen to lately. Thank you!

Under_Starmere: You should check out Lathspell, who, unfortunately, broke up.

As well as Gratzug

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:22 am 

Thanks for the recs, people, I just haven't had much time to listen to many of them yet. Will try and get back with some feedback once I get a chance to review them.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:23 am 

Edward K wrote:
Sick6Six: Fucking awesome recs! I loved Sacrificium Carmen and Blood of the Moon, but the real gem, for me, was Propast. Just absolutely grim and vile shit. The other bands I didn't like for various reasons, but I still appreciate it!

As well as Gratzug
Spoiler: show

Good deal man, those are 3 excellent up and coming bands to look out for. Also new Gratzug is always a good thing, I still never got ahold of their ultra limited last album. EDIT: Here's another underrated 1 man band that might match some of the recent requests, similar to Schattenvald in a way, but more traditional with epic grimness

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:44 pm 

Sick6Six: Hell yeah! Gratzug rules and is definitely one of my favorite German bands, alongside Thromos. Thanks for the additional rec! Definitely something I'm into! And I saw they're from Hungary, which is a music scene I'm not too familiar with. Thanks!

New request: I'm looking for more bm that has (describing this to the best of my ability) shouted/growling vocals. Similar (vocally) to Drudkh's "Eternal Turn of the Wheel", Arckanum's "Antikosmos" and some earlier works, Wędrujący Wiatr, and Gevrurah. Muscially, they don't have to sound like these bands, but I do prefer black metal that's mid to fast paced, grim/dark/evil/grimy, not super raw, atmosphere is a plus, but definitely not a requirement, and, as always, no NSBM or nationalism.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:43 pm 

Saturnian Mist:

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:26 pm 

iamntbatman: This is really, really close to what I'm looking for, but it's just off to me. The vocals at times reach that almost hardcore sound, and it makes me not like it so much. I do appreciate though!

Any others?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:39 am 

Wolfsmond, Blood Red Fog, Flagellant, and Uncreation's Dawn - Death's Tyranny.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:13 am 

Incase you maybe unaware Horn now have a bandcamp page which includes the much sought after early releases some of which are up for free download. As many of you know one of my favourite black metal bands who sound like no other with his own unique sound, song writing and drumming. A great band to get lost in his music.

https://hornlichterlischt.bandcamp.com/ ... hreszeiten

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:36 am 

Looking for something in the vein of this, but without the over the top NSBM vibe:

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:21 pm 

Godkiller demos & MCD should work fine. Duke Satanael used to play keyboards in Kristallnacht too.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:12 pm 

ancientorder wrote:
Godkiller demos & MCD should work fine. Duke Satanael used to play keyboards in Kristallnacht too.

Nah, I'm not into that at all. Also theme-wise. I'm looking more for something in the vein of Seigneur Voland, for instance.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:41 pm 

androdion wrote:
After listening to Yearning a few times I have to say I really like it. It's not extraordinary but it's solid in what it does, although I do think that I Summon Scorn and Gylfi's Journey sound a bit like filler. The rest of Aurvandil's works are a bit more traditional sounding aren't they? The little that I've heard of Ferd and Thrones seemed much less focused on the atmosphere achieved on Yearning, less emotional and wintry and more of your typical second wave worship. Am I right or wrong in that assessment?

Sounds about right androdion. I have yet to give Thrones a good listen to be honest but from what I have heard it seems to be more traditional sounding and less atmospheric. Glad to see you enjoyed Yearning.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:57 pm 

STORMM wrote:
androdion wrote:

Sounds about right androdion. I have yet to give Thrones a good listen to be honest but from what I have heard it seems to be more traditional sounding and less atmospheric. Glad to see you enjoyed Yearning.

Yeah, seems like it's going to be a one-off for me. But I really like the atmosphere, although like I said before it does have a bit of fat that could be trimmed. I can live with that though. :)

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:56 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Nah, I'm not into that at all. Also theme-wise. I'm looking more for something in the vein of Seigneur Voland, for instance.

So you want non-nsbm with nsbm themes?

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:20 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

So you want non-nsbm with nsbm themes?

Sound-wise..I can't believe I have to explain that.

Last edited by iamntbatman on Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can't believe I have to warn you not to be a dick again.

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:44 pm 

Ilwhyan: Man, it's been a long time since I've heard anything from you! The only band out of those recs, that hit what I was looking for was Uncreation's Dawn. Really great stuff! Here are some examples of the vocal style I'm looking for though:

Just aggressive snarls that still maintain a level of blackened sound.

The Ardbeg Wizard: Try Gratzug, Szron, Dolentia, and maybe Vobiscum Inferni. I don't get down with anti-Semitism (I'm against certain ideologies and belief systems, not certain groups of people) so I don't know if you'll like this theme-wise, but sound wise, I'd say it's pretty close to what you want.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:01 pm 

Edward K wrote:

New request: I'm looking for more bm that has (describing this to the best of my ability) shouted/growling vocals. Similar (vocally) to Drudkh's "Eternal Turn of the Wheel", Arckanum's "Antikosmos" and some earlier works, Wędrujący Wiatr, and Gevrurah. Muscially, they don't have to sound like these bands, but I do prefer black metal that's mid to fast paced, grim/dark/evil/grimy, not super raw, atmosphere is a plus, but definitely not a requirement, and, as always, no NSBM or nationalism.

How about Kroda Edward, would they fit the bill -

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:14 pm 

STORMM: The vocals are alright, they almost remind me of Mean Pete from xBishopx and Until the End which makes me not like them a whole lot. Musically, it's way too folk oriented. Not into flutes and shit at all. Thank you though!

Anything else in mind?

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:21 pm 

Edward K wrote:
STORMM: The vocals are alright, they almost remind me of Mean Pete from xBishopx and Until the End which makes me not like them a whole lot. Musically, it's way too folk oriented. Not into flutes and shit at all. Thank you though!

Anything else in mind?

I see, maybe Vietah? More ambient/atmospheric this time -

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:35 pm 

STORMM: The vocals are awesome, but the music is over the top with the synth/keys! Fuck!

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:05 pm 

Edward K wrote:
Ilwhyan: Man, it's been a long time since I've heard anything from you! The only band out of those recs, that hit what I was looking for was Uncreation's Dawn. Really great stuff! Here are some examples of the vocal style I'm looking for though:

Just aggressive snarls that still maintain a level of blackened sound.

The Ardbeg Wizard: Try Gratzug, Szron, Dolentia, and maybe Vobiscum Inferni. I don't get down with anti-Semitism (I'm against certain ideologies and belief systems, not certain groups of people) so I don't know if you'll like this theme-wise, but sound wise, I'd say it's pretty close to what you want.

Thanks! It sound-wise that I very much dig the epic/atmospheric sound that you can find here:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:48 am 

Edward K, maybe Arsonist Lodge is closer to the mark?

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:46 pm 

iamntbatman: Unfortunately, it doesn't. However, they are really fucking awesome! I've never heard of them before, and they definitely fit right in with an earlier request I had! I don't want to discourage you from helping me out! Just listen to the youtube videos I posted and try to go from there. I can't think of anything myself, and I've been looking in my free time off from work and watching my daughter. The only thing that I found that matched my specs was Kladovest, but then I realized that that Drudkh's vocalist does vocals for them as well haha. Ah, well. Thank you very much, and please keep trying!

The Ardbeg Wizard: I'm glad you enjoyed my recs! Also, please check out Grifteskymfning:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:15 pm 

Hah, yeah, I am familiar with those songs you posted and I know the vocal style wasn't really a perfect match for that sort of more guttural raspy hollering stuff you're after, but it was a somewhat lower-pitched snarl so I thought it'd be close enough (and also cool).

One last attempt!

Anyway since I suck at hitting that particular mark, here's something else for your earlier request:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:54 pm 

Arnaut Pavle are indeed great, I really enjoyed this demo.

I just discovered this Swedish band called Orcultus, I got a promo of their upcoming demo in fact. It's awesome raw but quite melodic black metal. Check 'em out, guys!
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Orcultus/3540376659
Some free stuff herehttps://orcultus.bandcamp.com/

This is the first song of Black Rust: https://www.dropbox.com/s/et1oc8yl6816x ... e.mp3?dl=0

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:20 am 

so I just noticed that for the first time in almost a decade there is a new split from Wigrid, with only a 4 minute and 10 minute track, but I want more.

Andre Gaius
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:03 pm 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
I'm looking for some help. I want some good black metal that's technical, or at least more technically proficient than the bulk of black metal. I've listened to Direwolf, pretty good stuff, close to what I'm looking for. Fallujah has some blackened elements that occasionally sound like what I'm looking for. The proggier Enslaved stuff, Dissection, that's pretty close I what I'm looking for. It doesn't have to be straight up shred your nuts off tech, but at least proficient and dynamic playing. Big plus if the lyrical themes and aesthetics aren't goofy over the top Satanic shtick.

Also, any good industrial black metal? I'm a huge Samael fan. And top quality blackened death metal with emphasis on the black.

Is that what you're talking about:

Last edited by Andre Gaius on Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:36 pm 

I wouldn't be opposed to recommendations in the vein of these bands:

Lowtide85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:29 pm 

Hello everyone, I would like recommendations of bands with non-satanic lyrics that sound similar to Sargeist, Mgla and such. Thanks in advance for your help!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:32 pm 

For bands similar to Mgla, check out Furia.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Furia/23765

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:17 pm 

^Oooh Furia came out with a new album 4 days ago!? Ba Dass.

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:45 pm 

iamntbatman: Acrimonious was the answer! Definitely hitting the mark the most! I really enjoyed it! As for Arnaut Pavle, I've heard them before, and to be honest, I forgot about them. Thanks for reminding me how fucking great they are! And thanks for putting in the effort for the recs! I'll be sure to try and return the favor if you're ever in need of some.

The Ardbeg Wizard: I would definitely check out Lluvia, Haethen and Forest Grave. Also check out Kaevum. I normally don't recommend bands that I don't support, but I feel like you'd really enjoy them. They also go with your earlier rec for bands with more epic riffs and no over the top NSBM themes. I'm pretty sure that they're an NSBM band, but there's nothing that outright says it. Enjoy!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134 ... 231  Next