Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Batakanda
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:45 pm 

I could have posted this into the Grindcore Thread, but I thought I'll get the most replies here.

I'm looking for bands in the vein of Anaal Nathrakh. Are there bands out there who're playing something in the same Black/Grind style?

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:04 pm 

The Secret is probably the closest to their sound, although less insane and not as dark.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:18 am 

I wouldn't compare them directly to AN, but Abaddon Incarnate do the "blackened death/grind" thing rather well.

Back Stabbath
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:42 am 

I want some more "pretty BM" that sounds like Drudkh's Autumn Aurora. I'm sure someone has asked this before, just link to post if so plz ta.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:18 pm 

I haven't listened to them OR Anaal Naktklsdthalket but Knelt Rote seems to be an up and coming grind/black project with a lot of good things being said about them. I have no idea what it's all about but I love their name. Knelt Rote. It just rolls off the tongue.

I'm listening to Ultima Thulee for the first time. This really might be as good as everyone says. I wasn't expecting the guitar tone to be so massive. It's fucking glacial.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:48 pm 

Back Stabbath wrote:
I want some more "pretty BM" that sounds like Drudkh's Autumn Aurora. I'm sure someone has asked this before, just link to post if so plz ta.

Angmar

Sentimen Beltza, bit more harsh, but similar still.

Batakanda wrote:
I could have posted this into the Grindcore Thread, but I thought I'll get the most replies here.
I'm looking for bands in the vein of Anaal Nathrakh. Are there bands out there who're playing something in the same Black/Grind style?

Horned Almighty?

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:40 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
According to Varg, Kraftwerk.

Give "Gedachte & Geheugen" a listen thru as well. Can't go wrong with Lugubrum... right?

Haha, excellent. Kraftwerk ist krig!!! Lugubrum were so so but didn't blow me away maybe it needs some more listens.

STORMM wrote:
TOBC's debut borrows heavily from that release, give it a whirl.

Decent but pretty much straight burzum worship. Not the worst thing to be accused of but not what I was looking for.

Thanks for the recs guys.

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:02 am 

Back Stabbath wrote:

Maybe Agalloch's first album? It's not black metal but suits for the atmosphere.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:55 am 

Batakanda wrote:

Might wanna try Book of Black Earth's latest album out, the Cold Testament. They've got some Nathrakh-esque riffing and there's a few grindy hardcore moments in between.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO4gIIL-ons

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:53 am 

Batakanda wrote:

Knelt Rote are amazing as Jonpo pointed out. Insignificance sounds like Archgoat covering Terrorizer.

https://nuclearwarnowproductions.bandca ... gnificance

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

DementedAgression7
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:04 pm 

So I like atmospheric black metal bands like Agalloch, Wolves In The Throne Room, Elderwind and Caladan Brood. Can anyone recommend me some bands similar to those bands I listed above. I really like bands that have nature type lyrics and that sort so if you could recommend any other bands that would be great!

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:18 pm 

Gallowbraid, Panopticon, Skagos, Ilfing, Falls of Rauros, Wędrujący Wiatr, and Fen are bands you should check out if you're into that type of stuff. These bands are more along the lines of Agalloch/WitTR than Caladan Brood. And you should listen to Summoning, the main influence of Caladan Brood, if you haven't for whatever reason.

DementedAgression7
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:53 pm 

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
Gallowbraid, Panopticon, Skagos, Ilfing, Falls of Rauros, Wędrujący Wiatr, and Fen are bands you should check out if you're into that type of stuff. These bands are more along the lines of Agalloch/WitTR than Caladan Brood. And you should listen to Summoning, the main influence of Caladan Brood, if you haven't for whatever reason.

Thank you \m/ Time to crank up the volume!

Vitross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:48 pm 

I'd really appreciate some recommendations of classic, essential black metal albums from Mexico. I mean albums that broke ground for black metal in Mexico.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:18 pm 

Vitross wrote:
I'd really appreciate some recommendations of classic, essential black metal albums from Mexico. I mean albums that broke ground for black metal in Mexico.

Xibalba - Ah Dzam Poop Ek

Forbinator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:27 am 

Avzhia - The Key of Throne is absolutely essential. I don't really get why one would request music from a particular country, but this is certainly the best thing I know of from Mexico. Their other album In My Domains is also pretty great.

ColeMiner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:59 am 

DementedAgression7 wrote:
So I like atmospheric black metal bands like Agalloch, Wolves In The Throne Room, Elderwind and Caladan Brood. Can anyone recommend me some bands similar to those bands I listed above. I really like bands that have nature type lyrics and that sort so if you could recommend any other bands that would be great!

You should check out Deafheaven. Also all the Andy Marshall bands - Askival, Arsaidh, Saor and Falloch

Bairns
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:04 am 

Amosofnlm wrote:
Hi folks, could you give me recommendations for anything that shares a similar feel/compositional spirit with burzum, especially Hvis... era? It doesn't even have to be black metal, but it doesn't have to not be black metal either, just well composed beautiful music.

Galdr.

Vitross
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:08 am 

Forbinator wrote:
Avzhia - The Key of Throne is absolutely essential. I don't really get why one would request music from a particular country, but this is certainly the best thing I know of from Mexico. Their other album In My Domains is also pretty great.

I like to know how certain countries progressed their black metal style. Most countries have their own unique sound even if their first bands started as first wave or Norwegian worship bands, I still feel they have their own identity in some way. The reason I asked about Mexican albums, is because my brother lives there and he sometimes asks me whether I know any Mexican black metal bands, and being a black metal fan I feel obliged to know about that particular scene.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:18 pm 

The debut from Iceland's Sinmara is very, very intriguing:

http://www.nocleansinging.com/2014/08/2 ... otic-womb/

The writer is comparing the last track to a black metal Bolzer, and I really see it. The atmosphere and unique riffing is just like them, and the final track is absolutely breathtaking. Definitely looking forward to picking this up.

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:19 am 

I'm looking for some blackened death metal in the vein of something like Belphegor, Behemoth, or Axis of Advance but with some more drawn out sounds and riffs. Sorta like what goes on in the background of a lot of In the Nightside Eclipse I suppose. You know that heavily affected guitar sound where one rhythm chord takes around 10 seconds to completely resolve, I'm looking for that sort of thing, but in the context of some quality blackened death metal.

Sorry for this poorly written post.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:09 am 

CardsOfWar wrote:
I'm looking for some blackened death metal in the vein of something like Belphegor, Behemoth, or Axis of Advance but with some more drawn out sounds and riffs. Sorta like what goes on in the background of a lot of In the Nightside Eclipse I suppose. You know that heavily affected guitar sound where one rhythm chord takes around 10 seconds to completely resolve, I'm looking for that sort of thing, but in the context of some quality blackened death metal.

Greetings CardsofWar. I dont lsiten to the bands you mentioned much if I am honest but thought I would throw you this all the same. An enjoyable release though I may be away of the mark :)

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Me ... Ones/15257

Enjoy.

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:47 am 

Thanks! I'll give them a listen.

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:51 am 

Bairns wrote:

Great, thanks.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:48 pm 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
Sorrowseed might be perfectly solid for all I know, but I can't get over the singer's headgear... :lol:

Wicked witch of the hot topic.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:42 pm 

CardsOfWar wrote:

Oh boy, for this kind of thing I urge to check out Germany's Truppensturm. Especially their Salute Of The Iron Emperors album. Holy fuck is it good shit;

Gustav, The Great
Triumphal Arch Of The Dead

These are just the tip of the iceberg of what is already a crushing masterpiece.

My collection

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:44 pm 

I've been trying to find some good mid-paced, triumphant sounding black metal in the vein of stuff like Sarkrista, Entartung, Odal, Faagrim, and Zwartplaag. Doesn't necessarily have to be from Germany (I know Zwartplaag's Dutch but they're super similar to the other 4) but they seem to churn out the kind of sound I've been on a binge of lately.

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:58 pm 

Here you go OneSize Horde of Hel's first album is sick.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:00 am 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
I've been trying to find some good mid-paced, triumphant sounding black metal in the vein of stuff like Sarkrista, Entartung, Odal, Faagrim, and Zwartplaag. Doesn't necessarily have to be from Germany (I know Zwartplaag's Dutch but they're super similar to the other 4) but they seem to churn out the kind of sound I've been on a binge of lately.

Maybe give these Frenchman a shot? This is Caverne, and their quite good Chants des Héros Oubliés demo. Pretty solid stuff.

Ni le Lieu, ni l'Heure

My collection

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:30 pm 

That opening trumpet part threw me off, but this is the kinda mid-paced stuff that I've been digging a lot lately.
That Horde of Hell track was good too, if maybe a bit too clear sounding compared to the latter, still catchy but in a different vein. I love the vocals on this track, reminds me of Svarttjern a bit.

peterpessimism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:10 pm 

Could you guys recommend me bands that are a rockish black metal hybrid? Ones that are labelled speed/black and heavy/black metal.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:28 pm 

Are you familiar with Barathrum? People sometimes describe them as black/doom but the doom side of things is definitely more like hard-rocking classic doom than drawn-out dreary stuff. Definitely big on the rocking/heavy metal sort of atmosphere and all around a wonderful band.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:28 pm 

Old Barathrum is much more in the "doom" vein. Legions of Perkele and onwards (aka Spinefarm era) is a different story.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:17 pm 

Man I loved Zwartplaag's album and split, sucks they broke up, Odal is awesome as well. I can't really think of much to match those bands, maybe Gjenferdsel, Lutomysl (newer stuff) some songs by Zorn (first 2 albums especially) possibly some Blodsrit, Aboriorth and Aorlhac but I kinda forget what they sound like. Maybe a bit more depressive than triumphant. Oh and the new Pagan Hellfire and Folkvang stuff. EDIT: Assuming you are familiar with Baptism and probably some of the ones I posted already.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:58 pm 

I'm pretty sure you were the one that got me hooked on 95% of those bands I mentioned. The harder the band's name is to pronounce, the better the odds are that I'll enjoy it. Listening to Gjenferdsel right now and I'm impressed so far.
Edit: Lutomysl is fuckin awesome, I've been digging through their discography on youtube for over an hour. It's a near perfect mix of those triumphant, mid-paced riffs and some melancholic stuff thrown in between. Once again, you've found me a treasure trove of everything I like about black metal. If there's ever another international black metal act that happens to stop through Chicago, I owe you several beers for the endless hours of music I've found thanks to you.
As for black/speed metal suggestions might wanna try evilnight, this band is incredibly hard to track down (probably due to a pretty generic name and all) but they're pretty speedy with some straightforward black metal vocals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJZ7CyC0GTk
obligatory mention of Bewitched also, if you haven't already heard of them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo17jITG1Io

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:28 am 

Anybody here dig Drowning the Light? I just bought their 'Patron Saint of Filth and Mold' 7-inch and I like their other stuff that I've heard so far.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:08 am 

I'm pretty sure you were the one that got me hooked on 95% of those bands I mentioned. The harder the band's name is to pronounce, the better the odds are that I'll enjoy it. Listening to Gjenferdsel right now and I'm impressed so far.
Edit: Lutomysl is fuckin awesome, I've been digging through their discography on youtube for over an hour. It's a near perfect mix of those triumphant, mid-paced riffs and some melancholic stuff thrown in between. Once again, you've found me a treasure trove of everything I like about black metal. If there's ever another international black metal act that happens to stop through Chicago, I owe you several beers for the endless hours of music I've found thanks to you.

Haha, thanks man! Always glad to help "enlighten" fellow metalheads about the more obscure, unknown dark arts. You have excellent taste in black metal as well and I hope we get some more of those sick black metal shows here, but Sargeist and Behexen is impossible to beat. :beer:

bluwarguy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:27 am 

Back Stabbath wrote:

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:33 am 

Okay I have a request for some heavy, slower, doom-laden atmosphere soaked darkness. Black metal that conjures the eerie cold of death in the flickering candle light. Atmosphere is key here, spiced with some ambient interludes, or transfixing, haunting passages that have deep resonance to them. I would prefer it to be meticulously crafted too, with plenty of thought gone into it, and dissonance is most welcome, as long as it doesn't detract from the overall mood and tone. Repetition is also welcomed, with slight deviations in it's development as it unfolds to keep the interest.

What I'm looking for is something similar to this;

Any help out there?

My collection

DCCLXXVII
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:58 pm 

Hopefully I won't get shot down for posting about Christian black metal, but I'm looking for good, very melodic symphonic Christian black metal bands. Any recommendations?
In the light of Christ

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129 ... 231  Next