Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:47 pm 

Not sure I'd call it "peaceful" since it's so fast, but Sühnopfer have some super bright melodies that just do not relent.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:01 pm 

If you don't mind really garbage production, I'd suggest the most recent Volahn album. It's ultra bright sounding. Very uplifting melodies. Sometimes it's too long for me but I usually just listen to one side at a time. I think it sounds a bit better on CD than my tape copy if cleaner means better to you.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:19 am 

Anyone know of any bands that experiment with black metal and electronic dance beats. Sort of like later Peste Noire, Lux Occulta, stuff like that? I've really been digging bands who can combine a dance beat with dissonant melodies and whatnot.
IcyScythe wrote:
Can anyone recommend me some "uplifting" black metal? I often find myself in the mood for some BM, but not in the mood for something incredibly dark (granted that's a bit of a contradiction). Something along the lines of Sacramentum's "Far away from the Sun" is a good example. Very peaceful, beautiful bit of BM. It's far from slow, but it's just... soothing I guess.

Another example would be Drudkh at times.

Skagos. For me, Skagos really hits the peak of peaceful, atmospheric, and often uplifting-sounding black metal.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:18 am 

t1337Dude wrote:
Anyone know of any bands that experiment with black metal and electronic dance beats. Sort of like later Peste Noire, Lux Occulta, stuff like that? I've really been digging bands who can combine a dance beat with dissonant melodies and whatnot.

You mean like Mourir et Revenir or Puritas Virginum?
That's the closest to dance bits I can think of.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:38 am 

Karlabos wrote:
t1337Dude wrote:

You mean like Mourir et Revenir or Puritas Virginum?
That's the closest to dance bits I can think of.

That Mourir stuff was rather funny...I found the dance beat to be pretty awkward but there's something there...the amateurishness sound was surprisingly endearing.

But that second recommendation was very cool. I'm going to check that album out.

I'll admit though, I wish there was stuff more along the line of how Peste Noire did it in this song.

Petrychor's Makrokosmos is another good example (skip 4 minutes in). The electronic beats in that aren't dance-like, but there's some interesting ambient/industrial beats in there. Anything along these lines would be cool too.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:57 am 

Heres a wee freebie for you guys, debut album from Seltar, def one to keep an eye on.

https://seltar.bandcamp.com/releases

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:07 am 

t1337Dude wrote:

Whwt about Mysticum. They must have been one of the first bm bands to use an electronic beat -

Also check out Thy Catafalque, he incorporates electronic beats into some of his work, killer band regardless!

BondedByBanjo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:16 pm 

What are some good melodic or thrashy BM like dissection and immortal

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:42 pm 

BondedByBanjo wrote:

Like Dissection? Try Abyssos.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:16 pm 

BondedByBanjo wrote:

Xenofanes dropped "Pissing in the Holy Grail" a few months back, which was really good thrashy black metal, which broke into a bit of Dissection-esque melodies at times.

I also gotta pimp Everdying.

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:06 pm 

I'm looking for something raw and dirty sounding but still melodic. Like a really lofi dissection or emperor.
Also anything with ambient influences in it is a plus

VaeFUCKINGVictus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:05 am 

WillyB wrote:
I'm looking for something raw and dirty sounding but still melodic. Like a really lofi dissection or emperor.

You may enjoy Schattenvald, who are melodic, but guitar-centric:

...and/or Parnassus, who are a bit more keyboard-oriented:

baconboom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:43 pm 

BondedByBanjo wrote:

If you like dissection then you should like Thulcandra, they're a seriously underrated band.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIdP1pSTMJw
YouTube:
https://youtu.be/IpHHtQSEng4?si=SkrRhwSLhz6MLjsq

romeARisque
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:44 am 

Do ou know of any groups in the same vein as Kvarforth? I already know Morowe and Veér. We may think that you Kvarforth invented this style of singing?

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:13 am 

Do you mean vocalists that sound like Kvarforth from Shining?

romeARisque
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:07 am 

Yes.

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:08 pm 

Ok, I believe this one might be a little tricky. I'm looking for a very specific kind of sound not usually common in black metal.

I want a band with good production values where all instruments are not only clearly identifiable but sound crisp and clean, to enhance the aggressiveness of the sound, so no lo-fi nonsense. There must be a strong focus on musicianship. I want great guitar work with riffs being at the center stage, maybe a little of prog in there for good measure, maybe even some solos, no 3 chords punk songs kinda stuff. Also, strong drumming, busy, varied, creative, not just steady beats to follow the guitars. Big plus also if I can actually hear some bass!! With that said, I still want the band to be black metal, so it should have a cold, evil, menacing vibe and this epic (in a non cheesy way!!) grandeur the best black metal bands can conjure.

If it helps a bit, imagine a parallel universe where Emperor are a bit edgier and way less pompous with less focus on keyboards but still maintain their epic nature, their incredible musicianship and flirt a bit with other genres (prog, death metal) while still being black metal.

Thanks guys!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:31 pm 

therealvivs wrote:
Ok, I believe this one might be a little tricky. I'm looking for a very specific kind of sound not usually common in black metal.

I want a band with good production values where all instruments are not only clearly identifiable but sound crisp and clean, to enhance the aggressiveness of the sound, so no lo-fi nonsense. There must be a strong focus on musicianship. I want great guitar work with riffs being at the center stage, maybe a little of prog in there for good measure, maybe even some solos, no 3 chords punk songs kinda stuff. Also, strong drumming, busy, varied, creative, not just steady beats to follow the guitars. Big plus also if I can actually hear some bass!! With that said, I still want the band to be black metal, so it should have a cold, evil, menacing vibe and this epic (in a non cheesy way!!) grandeur the best black metal bands can conjure.

If it helps a bit, imagine a parallel universe where Emperor are a bit edgier and way less pompous with less focus on keyboards but still maintain their epic nature, their incredible musicianship and flirt a bit with other genres (prog, death metal) while still being black metal.

Thanks guys!

Maybe give these guys a shot...

Ascension from Germany. The demo, first full length and the new album might just fit the bill here. Great stuff as far as I'm concerned.

From France I give you Aosoth. Their An Arrow In Heart album in particular is a stormer.

Back to Germany with Infestus. More atmospheric, but can still ooze menace when it gets going. Stunning musicianship and song construction here.

Tortorum's second album is an absolute beast, though this may be a bit too low-fi for you? I think the production is near perfect.

My collection

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 6:58 pm 

therealvivs wrote:

Thanks guys!

If Unholy Matrimony doesn't fit, I don't know what does. One of the most elaborate sounds I've heard in black metal, it's layers upon layers of astonishing musicianship and quality songwriting. The main man's other projects are worthwhile too but he's much more famous for Mirrorthrone, worth checking out too if you don't know them.

Probably the incredibly underrated Dark Fortress (seriously, I don't know why these guys aren't worshiped everywhere), kind of obvious but if you haven't heard their last 3 albums, you definitely should, those should be in the ballpark.

In Human Form also comes to mind, pretty interesting sound.

Nightbringer is another possibility, haven't heard good about their previous albums, but this one has lots going on. Almost too much, but it sounds pretty cool.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:00 am 

VaeFUCKINGVictus wrote:
WillyB wrote:

You may enjoy Schattenvald, who are melodic, but guitar-centric:

This is good stuff. Sounds quite similar to Kristallnacht.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:24 pm 

I think Spectral Lore probably fit that guy's bill pretty perfectly.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:39 am 

Looking for black metal that has some kind of nature feel to it. Something that makes you wander off in thoughts to amazing landscapes and forests. Think Arckanum, Horn, Trollskogen, early Taake etc.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:57 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Looking for black metal that has some kind of nature feel to it. Something that makes you wander off in thoughts to amazing landscapes and forests. Think Arckanum, Horn, Trollskogen, early Taake etc.

Perhaps Ifing may have something for you?

Might be on the wrong side of the fence though eh?

EDIT:
But I do have another couple...

Odal from Germany.

And Kermania also from Germany.

And Aurvandil from France (long songs, no other way round it).

My collection

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:31 pm 

(Early) Ulver? Immortal?

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:53 pm 

Aurvandil is one that matches what I seek, but I know it already. Ulver and Immortal? Pardon me but I hope you understand I know of them, heh.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:12 pm 

I am looking for bands/songs with similar vocals.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:25 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Try Waldgefluster and Imperium Dekadenz, especially the last album. Switzerland's Forest of Fog are more on the melodic side, not to dissimilar to Taake, great band all the same. Would Kroda be too obvious Ardbeg?

Rauhnåcht are a fine band too, they label themselves or himself for that matter as Alpine Black Metal and I think the music speaks for itself...

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:09 pm 

Anyting like Summoning's Lugburz? Thanks in advance

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:40 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
Anyting like Summoning's Lugburz? Thanks in advance

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:40 am 

Hi

I'm looking for black bands which have death growls as vocals. Preferably to symphonic/melodic/atmospheric side
For instance, something similar to Lyfthrasyr, Blood of Kingu (I'm already aware of the other vocalist's bands) or Brown Jewnkins. I would like the vocals to be very growlish like that and not harsh as usual.
Anything like that?

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:03 am 

therealvivs wrote:

What you describe is my favorite type of black metal and I'm always looking out for more of that type. I would highly recommend Acrimonious and Thy Darkened Shade. They're essentially the same band and share members, but all of their songs are epic and put a focus on instrumentation, if that makes sense. Thy Darkened Shade's newest has what I consider the best bass performance/sound in the history of black metal.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:21 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Aurvandil is one that matches what I seek, but I know it already. Ulver and Immortal? Pardon me but I hope you understand I know of them, heh.

Totally unrelated (or not), but I was listening to this band on I, Voidhanger and it reminds me a lot of Aurvandil circa Yearning. Probably not as ice cold though, but by all means take a peak. ;)

http://tomeoftheunreplenished.bandcamp. ... erstanding

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:59 am 

I would like to hear some hypnotic, morbid, down-tempo DSBM.

I'm already familiar with Bethlehem, Shining, Silencer, Nortt, and Totalselfhatred.

Please no programmed drums or post-rock/depressive rock elements (I like Lifelover, but that's not what I'm looking for).

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:41 am 

androdion wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Totally unrelated (or not), but I was listening to this band on I, Voidhanger and it reminds me a lot of Aurvandil circa Yearning. Probably not as ice cold though, but by all means take a peak. ;)

http://tomeoftheunreplenished.bandcamp. ... erstanding

Thanks, I'll check it out! Really curious!

TheUnhinged wrote:
I would like to hear some hypnotic, morbid, down-tempo DSBM.

I'm already familiar with Bethlehem, Shining, Silencer, Nortt, and Totalselfhatred.

Please no programmed drums or post-rock/depressive rock elements (I like Lifelover, but that's not what I'm looking for).

Why not start with one of the originators?

therealvivs
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:52 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
therealvivs wrote:

What you describe is my favorite type of black metal and I'm always looking out for more of that type. I would highly recommend Acrimonious and Thy Darkened Shade. They're essentially the same band and share members, but all of their songs are epic and put a focus on instrumentation, if that makes sense. Thy Darkened Shade's newest has what I consider the best bass performance/sound in the history of black metal.

Man, Thy Darkened Shade is fantastic! Thanks a lot! I just got hold of their second album and I'm in awe. Need to check Acrimonious as well.

Also big thanks to the other guys who suggested Ascension, Aosoth, Tortorum and Unholy Matrimony. Really good bands and spot on!

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:42 am 

Anyone know any good BM bands from Los Angeles or the surrounding area? Looking for more modern stuff with good production, not 2nd wave worship. Thanks!

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:40 am 

Necroghast wrote:
Anyone know any good BM bands from Los Angeles or the surrounding area? Looking for more modern stuff with good production, not 2nd wave worship. Thanks!

All of the Black Twilight Circle bands.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:00 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

I like the later work of Deinonychus, but the early works kind of grates my nerves. I was looking for something a bit more hypnotic and atmospheric, if possible.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:15 am 

TheUnhinged wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

I like the later work of Deinonychus, but the early works kind of grates my nerves. I was looking for something a bit more hypnotic and atmospheric, if possible.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:03 pm 

I'm looking for relatively melodic black metal with lots of winding, high-pitched tremolo. Think Deathspell Omega, Blut aus Nord, and the more technical side of Njiqahdda, but less dissonant. Here's a decent example of what I have in mind:

I'm aware of Nightbringer and Akhlys and they fit this criteria but I personally think they're both sort of eh, not enough actual riffs for my tastes. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Sühnopfer posted further up this very page seem to hit the spot quite nicely - thanks, batman!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 231  Next