Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:22 am 

I know I rec this band around these parts a lot, but you're basically describing N.K.V.D. with your second request:

Check out the military march breakdown thing from around 2:15 to the end of the song.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:43 am 

Karlabos wrote:
Humm... I have two requests:
First, anyone knows some depressive black metal, with an atmosphere that is upbeat/uplifting? If that makes sense heh.
I think it's actually possible, if you think of depressive black metal as its set of contents: The large songs, made by the unending and memorable riffs. Basically, something similar to Jute Gyte or Svarti Loghin, but it could be different, I dunno... As long as it's depressive bm with a good atmosphere.

Maybe this one?

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:58 am 

Karlabos wrote:
It's a bit hard (at least for me) to think of something too similar to Vagrond,
but still... Some post bm bands with fast parts that come in mind would be Harakiri For The Sky, Altar Of Plagues, or Dressed In Streams.
Personally I like Dressed in streams the most, too bad they are a bit too hard to find.

Thanks a lot dude! I really liked Harakiri for the Sky and Dressed in Streams. I was never a super huge Altar of Plagues fan, but that song was really good, and I'll check out that album.

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:08 pm 

Oh, and Karlobos, try listening to this, this, this, and this.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:38 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
I know I rec this band around these parts a lot, but you're basically describing N.K.V.D. with your second request:
Check out the military march breakdown thing from around 2:15 to the end of the song.

Awesome stuff. Funny, this band, even that album was suggested as related on a youtube video I was hearing yesterday, and somehow I wasn't lucky enough to click on that link.
androdion wrote:
Maybe this one?

Coldworld is good DSBM, but I don't find their music upbeat...
Edward K wrote:

Cheerful Depression, that one will work. Those riffs are indeed cheerful. Oh, and the last link is missing (for my country at least)

Thanks all for the suggestions, guys.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:24 pm 

Karlabos wrote:
androdion wrote:
Maybe this one?

Coldworld is good DSBM, but I don't find their music upbeat...

I wouldn't call it upbeat as well, but I find that album to be rather uplifting (a word you also used). Kind of like a DSBM version of Brave Murder Day,sort of. ;)

In other news, I'd like to thank for the Vemod recommendation I got a while back. Been listening to Venter Pa Stormene and it's actually very good! I know I know, I tend to "lag" a bit between getting recommendations and providing feedback for them. It's just that I listen to music based on my mood and lately it has been quite unstable, he.

I will also give feedback for the symphonic bands recommended earlier, it might just take a little longer. Kataxu seem to be going the Nazxul route though. I mean, only six songs and half of them are instrumental/symphonic interludes?! Meh... But it's still under appreciation.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:04 pm 

Edward K, that Altar of Plagues song is the best one on that album. Track 2 is alright, but not quite as good, and tracks 3 and 4 just sound disinterested. The first album is pretty solid through and through, though.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:41 pm 

Karlabos wrote:
Humm... I have two requests:
First, anyone knows some depressive black metal, with an atmosphere that is upbeat/uplifting? If that makes sense heh.
I think it's actually possible, if you think of depressive black metal as its set of contents: The large songs, made by the unending and memorable riffs. Basically, something similar to Jute Gyte or Svarti Loghin, but it could be different, I dunno... As long as it's depressive bm with a good atmosphere.

Nyktalgia?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXBR9O2oUVo

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 pm 

Edward K wrote:
Anyone know any good post-bm bands similar to Vagrond, but with more fast parts?

Sleep White Winter is pretty post and fast (all of their stuff is on Bandcamp for free so that is also a plus). I would also check out Apocynthion.

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:52 pm 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Spoiler: show

Hahaha I have seen you post that a couple of times and I always thought the album cover was meh and that put me off but now that I have listened to it, it actually is really good!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:33 am 

Karlabos wrote:
Thx man, this sounds interesting, I'm going to hear with more time later.
But you linked the same song twice, hehe. Was it meant to?

:durr:

No, lol. Second time I've done that this week. I edited the post with the correct link.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:41 am 

Amber Gray wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wjnow3NV7iA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps_OdSZOHr8
?

Although they are far too prolific for their own good, Gnaw Their Tongues have some good stuff and definitely can conjure up that horrific atmosphere.

Didn't like The Witch Box very much. Found the uber-distortion had very bad tone and couldn't make anything out except for that lingering cleaner guitar. Cool album cover, though.

Vlad_Drakul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:27 am 

Extreme, fast, hyperblasting black metal in 2013? No orthodox, dissonant, post black, ambient and all that. I want new albums that keep it brutal, in the vein of Panzer Division Marduk, Dark Funeral, Setherial, Belphegor, Anaal Nathrakh.. Are albums like that even being released anymore cause it seems they're hard to find. Chaotic war metal too, industrial it doesn't matter, just fast with that attitude.

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:49 pm 

RainbowPrius19 wrote:
Edward K wrote:
Anyone know any good post-bm bands similar to Vagrond, but with more fast parts?

Sleep White Winter is pretty post and fast (all of their stuff is on Bandcamp for free so that is also a plus). I would also check out Apocynthion.

I really liked both of those bands a lot! It's a shame that Sleep White Winter broke up, and that Apocynthion has been blacklisted (although they're not any less metal than say, Alcest, or whatever...). I'd also like to say that the only thing for free on Sleep White Winter's bandcamp is their first album.

Karlabos wrote:
Edward K wrote:

Cheerful Depression, that one will work. Those riffs are indeed cheerful. Oh, and the last link is missing (for my country at least)

Thanks all for the suggestions, guys.

The last link was to the band Tears of a Forgotten Life (different link to the same song. You could also check out Trist.

EDIT:

Also, anyone else who is into post-black metal with a little more speed, check out Amesoeurs.

Last edited by Edward K on Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:22 pm 

Vlad_Drakul wrote:
Extreme, fast, hyperblasting black metal in 2013? No orthodox, dissonant, post black, ambient and all that. I want new albums that keep it brutal, in the vein of Panzer Division Marduk, Dark Funeral, Setherial, Belphegor, Anaal Nathrakh.. Are albums like that even being released anymore cause it seems they're hard to find. Chaotic war metal too, industrial it doesn't matter, just fast with that attitude.

You'd enjoy Deus Mortem, they've got some extremely fast parts on their latest album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a2UsKAai5g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddjDfOULoGY

Here's a link to the entire album- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m5vCmiwNPc&list=PLzCwY3pwJDCnzPIesG_ekAxpbwFA2cC4U
Yes, it starts out sounding a little like your average Swedish Orthodox BM (although these guys are Polish), but it picks up in speed.

Vlad_Drakul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:47 pm 

Thanks!! but it's still not exactly what i'm looking for. A good find though, it has Inferno on drums with a raw as hell performance. But it's still not along the lines of what i'm looking for, like middle era Marduk, Asmodeus, Dark Funeral, Anaal Nathrakh and so on. Thanks anyway.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:18 pm 

Vlad_Drakul wrote:

Nyogthaeblisz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuAsOcDICl0
Infernal War
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf8HI3ng6g8

Vlad_Drakul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:49 pm 

Thanks, i know both of them very well, they're OK, but i'm specifically looking for new albums released in 2013. I'm curious to see if i missed anything.

asterix645
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:17 pm 

I'm looking for a band that is pretty much a carbon copy of Dark Funeral with regards to sound (riffs, vocals, and everything) EXCEPT for drums. I don't like 100% blastiness at all.

I listened to "My Funeral" by Dark Funeral and really liked it and thought I could become a fan but then I read the video description.
Dark Funeral, who is well-known for their infernal blast beats have with "Angelus Exuro pro Eternus" recorded their most varied and technical album to date. My Funeral is one of the three (out of nine) heavier; non-blast beat songs that were recorded for the new and long awaited full-length album.

95% of their discography is all blast blast blast. It's a shame because I really like the vox and guitars. I think I've got every non-blast beat Dark Funeral song... a total of 5..

Sorry for the rambling, I'll get back on point. I'm looking for a band that is as close to Dark Funeral as you can get in every aspect (production, instrumentation, vocals, etc.) EXCEPT for the annoying blast-beat drumming. Hell, I wouldn't mind someone using their fancy audio editing skills
to rip out the drums from the mix.

tl;dr

I need a band that sounds like Dark Funeral but is not very blasty. At all.

DemonX99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:20 pm 

Looking for anything similar to Black Metal-era Behemoth, particularly like "And the Forests Dream Eternally" and "Sventevith."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trVi5CO9PFk

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:37 am 

Anything similar to this?
I mean, dark, sizzle, and above all, with CATCHY blasts?

mindshadow
Echoes in an empty cranium

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:31 pm 

Arx Atrata - Oblivion. Atmospheric black metal

http://www.youtube.com/v/TQMdptrip4A

Sistrurus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:59 pm 

Hi! I'm wonderin' if there's any BM which uses two harsh vocalists in their music? After going on a large Sigh kick, I really like the way Mirai/Mikannibal do a kinda back-and-forth with their vocals on a few songs (Prelude to the Oracle's a good example), and I'm curious if there are any more bands that do stuff like that. The only other band I can think of is maybe Absu or something, but I can barely tell it's two different people at parts.
I'd prefer cleaner recorded, less traditional BM, but with a request this specific/probably unusual, I'll take what I can get.

Grindcoremaniac135
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:42 pm 

Thanks to every one that explained what BTC and RABM is :)

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:21 am 

No problem dude. I just had to set it straight.

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:41 pm 

Lyrics are never something which has ever been at the forefront of my experience when it comes to extreme music but I recently have started to wonder if I'm doing myself a disservice by ignoring them...
So who are some artists would you consider to have excellent lyrics which really enhanced your enjoyment or immersion in black/death metal?

I'd be most interested in something conveying genuine spirituality, be it satanism, forms of paganism, or even christianity...

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:16 pm 

Blood Red Fog have excellent lyrics, probably my favorite in all of black metaldom.

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:52 am 

I always loved the lyrics of Paysage d'Hiver.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:38 am 

While I'll be the first to admit that they're about as far from "spiritual" as you could possibly get, I always really liked Grand Mood's lyrics:
Spoiler: show

"They miss its signals
And suffer for it,
But their heads still
Lean in its direction
In fiendish pursuit
Of the iron cornucopia...

Finally,
I stood next to it,
Then looked inside of it
The only version of it,
The final version of it

I pressed my face to look inside...
I watched it spit and mark others.
Turn them around
Some turning toward each other
Some facing away from one another...
Some made to fight,
Others made to wander

Now we're all deformed
Our faces burned by its iron circle
Iron cornucopia:
Driven by a sinister power
Iron cornucopia:

Coated in something new,
A glowing timeline of death
Capability that can only come,
From inside the iron circle..."

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:53 am 

Sistrurus wrote:
Hi! I'm wonderin' if there's any BM which uses two harsh vocalists in their music? After going on a large Sigh kick, I really like the way Mirai/Mikannibal do a kinda back-and-forth with their vocals on a few songs (Prelude to the Oracle's a good example), and I'm curious if there are any more bands that do stuff like that. The only other band I can think of is maybe Absu or something, but I can barely tell it's two different people at parts.
I'd prefer cleaner recorded, less traditional BM, but with a request this specific/probably unusual, I'll take what I can get.

You should check out Dualitet og ulver by Helheim. Two slightly distinct black metal shrieks, alternating in the verses.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:10 pm 

I listened to Evil (the Brazilian one), the album Hammerstorm more specifically, and it's essentially an amateur rehash of Gorgoroth's first two albums. I love those albums, and this band has attempted to emulate some of the aspects of Gorgoroth's early music that I find the most brilliant, and therefore this has appeal to me, but I don't recommend it to anyone who isn't hopelessly enamoured with that kind of black metal riffing style. This is a very amateurish attempt after all, even if they did manage to get the riffing style quite right (and the bass, its tone and interplay with the guitars - nice work!). There's not an iota of originality within a flagpole's length of this album.

Edit: And there's shameless Impaled Nazarene emulation in "Holocaust Black Metal". They do it well, but like I said, not an iota of originality. It's an unaknowledged tribute to early ImpNaz, and it makes me uncomfortable.
Edit 2: Next up, Drudkh rip-off. Shit.

On another note, Unhuman Disease's newest album is quite decent Prevalent Resistance styled black metal. It's not as good as PR's first two, but this is definitely an improvement over UD's earlier albums that never really impressed me despite being fairly solid. Though I could swear I've heard the main riff of Darkest Night somewhere...! :P

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:18 pm 

Any black metal without percussion?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Lord Rot
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:02 am 

Yo, I'm on the look out for more War Metal and Black/Death. I'm somewhat well versed in this genre so nothing too obvbious please. Some of my favourites already include Revenge/Conqueror, Black Witchery, Manticore, Weregoat, Diocletian, Proclamation, Blasphemy, Temple Nightside, Nuclear Desecration, Blasphemophager, Grave Desecrator, Bestial Warlust, Sacramentary Abolishment etc etc.

Cheers

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:18 am 

I'm looking for some recommendations for albums similar to Phlegein's Silver Veins. Essentially, what I'm looking for is warmly, pleasantly produced black metal that is mostly soothing an unabrasive in terms of sound. It should not, however, be in any way overly saccharine or otherwise musically wussy. The melodies must not be Alcest/Woods of Desolation like, but proper black metal stuff. The more imaginative the melodic aspects are, the better, but I don't want anything overly experimental. Just very expressive.

Teloch's EP Descent-Ascend also fits the bill somewhat, and by extension, why not Morbid Prayer as well.

Incidentally, has anyone heard Teloch's demo Towards Perdition?

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:25 am 

Truppensturm
Lvcifyre
Witchrist
Sadomator
Thorybos
Muknal
Heresiarch
Ruin Lust
Morbosidad
Goatpenis
Satanik Goat Ritual
Purification Kommando
Kerasphorus
Apocalypse Command
Wargoatcult

You should be able to find something in there.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:27 am 

I hope that's in response to the earlier request. :P

I haven't heard of Lucifyre before, sounds rather decent actually. Or maybe it's just the Ross Dolan growls and the fact that I love Immolation.

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:36 am 

Yes it was haha.
I also forgot to include Death Karma.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:54 pm 

I wrote:
Any black metal without percussion?

Nothing? It's not exactly a stretch to go from monotonous timekeeping drums to none at all.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:30 pm 

All I can think of to try would be some black/drone bands maybe? I can't recommend you anything specific as drone isn't something I make a habit of listening to, but it's all I could think of that might be within the ballpark of what you're after - I've never come across any black metal that has no percussion.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:33 pm 

My favourite percussionless black metal is probably Behexen's 6.6.6, which does have drums in the end though, or the intro to Burzum's Det Som En Gang Var. Or possibly something else I fail to remember. I can't recall any band with outright no percussion though.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105 ... 231  Next