Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:23 pm 

Could anyone recommend me some black metal similar to Inquisition's Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm, but with higher pitched vocals or more shrieked vocals instead of the kinda low, gurgly, vocals on that album? Thanks!

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:24 pm 

Evil_Wicked_Twisted_Mind wrote:
I don't follow BM as relegiously as Doom and Death metal so could you recommend me some good BM from this year ? 2013 BM releases I've heard are :-

Aeternus, Altar Of Plagues, Antediluvian, Aosoth, Arckanum, Arsaidh, Ash Borer, Bolzer, Botanist, Christicide, Csejthe, Cultes Des Ghouls, Darkthrone, Deafhaven, Denouncement Pyre, Eibon, Emyn Muil, Eternal Khan, Fanisk, Gukurahundi, Impious Baptism, Impious Blood, Into the Nethermost, Katechon, Koldbrann, Lithotome, Lychgate, Necrosemen, Necrowretch, Njiqahdda, Oldwitch, Path To Ixtab, Paysage d'Hiver, Pensées Nocturnes, Peste Noire, Progenie Terrestre Pura, Regarde les hommes tomber, Rotting Christ, Sacriphyx, Shade Empire, Skagos, Summoning, Svart Crown, Thou Art Lord, Tribulation, Usnea, Whelm.

So, anything worth hearing I haven't heard ?

Well I haven't even heard of a number of those bands and I still need to check some of them out... Not exactly sure what style you are looking for, but some missing from your list are: The new Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult, The debut album by Moonkult that I reviewed is pretty darn good, the Sargeist compilation is great even though it's not "new" but most people don't have 12 different mini LPs to listen to all the songs that are on there. The new Paria album "Surrealist Satanist" is pretty good, and Permafrost - Devil Worship.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:33 pm 

Has anyone heard the Shining/Alfahanne split? What is the Alfahanne material on it like?
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Sh ... nne/359873

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:56 am 

usually i am not a fan of black metal but what is some good black metal like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFgkHkLA7LU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbi_AXKQ4qs

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:21 am 

SatanicPotato wrote:
usually i am not a fan of black metal but what is some good black metal like this?

Here you go, hope these are good enough
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dyq0WAPrPI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVThZ_gCoeI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ83ail1L8U

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:42 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
SatanicPotato wrote:

Here you go, hope these are good enough
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dyq0WAPrPI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVThZ_gCoeI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ83ail1L8U

thank you just downloading those songs now(computer has no audio so i cant check it out right now but will tomorrow) i have heard a few comparisons with newer Watain is that a fair comparison? if so i will check out Watain too

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:57 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Has anyone heard the Shining/Alfahanne split? What is the Alfahanne material on it like?

hmm Alfahanne doesn't even have a band page, is this their first song ever released?

oops_ur_dead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:19 pm 

Can anyone help me find any bands like Hypothermia? Specifically what I'm looking for is the clean guitars with black metal undertones, combined with shrieked vocals. I already know about Lifelover.

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:18 pm 

Anyone know any bands like Xanthochroid or Carach Angren? Mostly like this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FioQxFyfbAQ
The one at 49:00

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:04 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:

hmm Alfahanne doesn't even have a band page, is this their first song ever released?

They have a few songs streaming online, but that's the only proper release and I'd like to add it to MA. I talked to Fredrik about it at MDF and I hadn't realized they put out a 7" but had heard the streaming songs.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:09 am 

I definitely recommend the album Two Serpents by Charnel Winds and Verge to anyone who likes either band. It's a collaboration rather than a split album, and it's essentially an amalgamation of Verge's melancholy and dark beauty, and Charnel Winds' strangeness. It works beautifully. Also recommended to people who enjoy bands like Teloch.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:51 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I definitely recommend the album Two Serpents by Charnel Winds and Verge to anyone who likes either band. It's a collaboration rather than a split album, and it's essentially an amalgamation of Verge's melancholy and dark beauty, and Charnel Winds' strangeness. It works beautifully. Also recommended to people who enjoy bands like Teloch.
I think I've only heard Verge on the split with BRF and never heard Charnel Winds, Will have to check them out... on a side note the new Monarque - Lys Noir is sounding pretty good.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:00 pm 

Then also get Hatemagic. It's much better than the Blood Red Fog split.

blood_and_fire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:16 pm 

Make me pumped on black metal again? I love black metal, always have, but I haven't really been finding much that interests me as of late. I basically don't care what type as long as it's not super synthy or nsbm. I won't say what kind I'm looking for or anything because I don't want to limit the suggestions, I wouldn't mind getting out of my black metal comfort zone. (maybe getting burnt out on black metal is my own doing, limiting my searching to only what I think I'll like.) For some background, my other favorite genre's are extreme doom stuff, grindcore and crust punk/d-beat. (But I'm definitely not looking for a bunch of "black crust" which really just sounds like post hardcore which everyone calls black crust.) So yeah, best band you think I should hear, old/new, fast/slow, raw/melodic, sad/evil, whatever, make me stoked!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:41 am 

That's a rather too vague request. It's quite easy to just find names without any particular criteria.

Most fusions of black and doom that I've heard sound are rather poor, but there are bands that have a strong doomy atmosphere without having much anything in common with doom metal as such. I recommend Korgonthurus - Marras, as well as their song Sade from the Musta Kappeli split. They are extremely melancholic like some extreme doom, but entirely black metal in style. Shatraug's side project Black Stench could be considered a more dismal counterpart to that, although the song Blood Is The Way (which I love) is again an extremely melancholic and sorrowful song. The songs often follow heavy metal-like patterns and rhythms, but the music is utterly ghastly. The band name is appropriate.

all_pigs_must_die
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:26 am 

I hope somebody here will help me. I want to know this bands name:

https://soundcloud.com/selev

I've downloaded this song maybe seven or eight years ago, cause I thought I could help the guy who shared it on some p2p program... I love it and I wan't to find this demo somehow, but I need the name. Maybe some of you will help me to ease this several years of mind-terror?

blood_and_fire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:58 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
That's a rather too vague request. It's quite easy to just find names without any particular criteria.

Korgonthurus - Marras,

Dude Korgonthurus are killer, although I often overlook Marras for their more stomping punky stuff.
And I guess it's kind of unfair for me to not have really any specifics for what to recommend, it was sort of a "I'm burnt out on black metal and don't want to limit suggestions since I've been limiting my listening."

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:22 pm 

Familiar with bands like Arsonist Lodge, Uncreation's Dawn or Perisynti? Might be up your alley just fine. They have a punkish tinge to the music without really resembling punk. Each of them has killer black metal riffs and hateful energy like some hardcore punk.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:58 pm 

Along the same lines is a band called Hämys. No full-lengths yet but that recent EP was pretty cool.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:25 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Along the same lines is a band called Hämys. No full-lengths yet but that recent EP was pretty cool.

Interesting. I will check that out.

crises79
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:47 pm 

blood_and_fire wrote:
Make me pumped on black metal again? I love black metal, always have, but I haven't really been finding much that interests me as of late. I basically don't care what type as long as it's not super synthy or nsbm. I won't say what kind I'm looking for or anything because I don't want to limit the suggestions, I wouldn't mind getting out of my black metal comfort zone. (maybe getting burnt out on black metal is my own doing, limiting my searching to only what I think I'll like.) For some background, my other favorite genre's are extreme doom stuff, grindcore and crust punk/d-beat. (But I'm definitely not looking for a bunch of "black crust" which really just sounds like post hardcore which everyone calls black crust.) So yeah, best band you think I should hear, old/new, fast/slow, raw/melodic, sad/evil, whatever, make me stoked!

Try Terzij de Horde. They make mostly black metal influenced by sludge and screamo (with crust thrown into it). I love that band. Post hardcore is definitely not one of their defining qualities.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:21 pm 

blood_and_fire wrote:

Bölzer
Arsonist Lodge (+1)
Torture Chain
Ash Pool
Wigrid
Arnaut Pavle
Svartidauði
Blood Cult

EDIT: Ride for Revenge

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:50 am 

FaultyClockwork wrote:
blood_and_fire wrote:

Bölzer
Arsonist Lodge (+1)
Torture Chain
Ash Pool
Wigrid
Arnaut Pavle
Svartidauði
Blood Cult

EDIT: Ride for Revenge

Wigrid is the only one of those I've ever heard :\ still wish he would come out with another album someday as he's by far the best "DSBM" IMO. I would suggest to blood_and_fire to look back over the previous 3-5 pages of other stuff suggested by everyone including myself for some killer bands. I tend to suggest a lot more of the faster, more aggressive stuff usually.

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:57 pm 

Looking for atmospheric/ambient black metal in the vein of Alrakis and Midnight Odyssey; I'm looking for something that is relatively slow-paced, relaxing, very atmospheric and has beautiful melodic riffs. Nothing you can really bang your head to. Just chilled stuff.

Stuff similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tk3uaK9Y6U

http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:49 am 

Lustre
Basarabian Hills
Borkr
Sun of the Blind

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:55 pm 

analog_winter wrote:
Could anyone recommend me some black metal similar to Inquisition's Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm, but with higher pitched vocals or more shrieked vocals instead of the kinda low, gurgly, vocals on that album? Thanks!

Pact's "Dragon Lineage of Satan" is a bit inquisition mixed with moonblood and mutiilation.

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:07 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Wigrid is the only one of those I've ever heard :\ still wish he would come out with another album someday as he's by far the best "DSBM" IMO. I would suggest to blood_and_fire to look back over the previous 3-5 pages of other stuff suggested by everyone including myself for some killer bands. I tend to suggest a lot more of the faster, more aggressive stuff usually.

Gris is up there with Wigrid for me. Still deciding on their new album though.

Speaking of faster, more aggressive stuff, I'm looking for some 2013 black metal that is raw and will riff my face off but that isn't a black/death mix. So no Antediluvian or anything.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:15 pm 

Barshasketh's new album is very good. Very riffular. Not face melting or aggressive much tho. More emo than aggro. I like it, anyway! It's not super fast but a good clip.

My reccing skills are out of practice. :P

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:44 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Barshasketh's new album is very good. Very riffular. Not face melting or aggressive much tho. More emo than aggro. I like it, anyway! It's not super fast but a good clip.

My reccing skills are out of practice. :P

Indeed. I recommended them to Nightgaunt, actually, as I think they have many similarities with Verge among others, though I'm not sure if he'll like it. I find them to be one of the best black metal bands as of late, and surprisingly, they're from New Zealand. I never expected to like black metal from that country this much.

Listeners on last.fm call them Peste Noire worship. I think that's nonsense, they sound more like Verge, early Todtgelichter and later Wolfsmond, with a unique sound of their own to hold it together.

Emo isn't really a good term for it, but I get what you mean. I'd prefer 'feelsy', borrowing Metantoine's expression.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:56 am 

FaultyClockwork wrote:
Gris is up there with Wigrid for me. Still deciding on their new album though.

Speaking of faster, more aggressive stuff, I'm looking for some 2013 black metal that is raw and will riff my face off but that isn't a black/death mix. So no Antediluvian or anything.

I still need to really check out Gris. As for 2013 aggressive stuff I think you probably already know most of the stuff I would suggest... like DNS, Aosoth, Svartsyn, new Arckanum has it's moments, the Paria album, and Permafrost - Devil Worship which I'm about to start writing a review about. Edit again: that new Sad album is a must IMO if you haven't heard it... I forgot it came out this year, seems like awhile already. And Pagan Hellfire - On the Path to Triumph... Ok I'm done now!

Also glad everyone likes Barshasketh, they're awesome, completely original sounding and cool guys. It's cool too see that some of the US distros that got their albums have them right up on their best seller list already \m/ One of the guys in the band actually told me they use 3 guitars on most of the new album and at times even 4 overlapping. The review I wrote for their album was my first one and I did it after one listen, may go back and fix it up sometime.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:35 pm 

^ Have to agree with all the Barshasketh love. Great and very promising band and nice guys to. The latest album is killer. The band are actually based in Edinburough. Andrew is originally from NZ but I believe he moved to Scotland where the rest of the band came to be and where they are based.

On a side note their cd and t-shirt combo is a fuckin steal at £10! Plus postage for anyone interested.

http://www.barshasketh.bigcartel.com/

Last edited by STORMM on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:10 pm 

STORMM wrote:

On a side note their cd and t-shirt combo is a fuckin steal at £10! Plus postage for anyone interested.

http://www.barshasketh.bigcartel.com/

Yes it is, I got it when it first came out, you accidentally put a "j" before your link though :)

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:39 am 

^ thanks for that mate, fixed!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:11 am 

Awesome, you get the patch free if you order something besides. Very nice.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:06 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
analog_winter wrote:

Pact's "Dragon Lineage of Satan" is a bit inquisition mixed with moonblood and mutiilation.

skimmed past this post yesterday, Pact is fucking amazing, one of the best USBM debut albums ever. Hope they keep it going :hail:

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:42 pm 

In response to both blood_and_fire and NJMike, (and anyone really) I'm SUPER stoked about the new release from Thy Light. Absolutely fantastic album. Can't even count how many time's I've listened through it today, or predict how many times I'll listen to it once I buy it. (Which will be ASAP) Thy Light was on my radar a while ago with Suici.De.pression, but I forgot about them until a couple days ago when I stumbled upon this new release. I wish I'd seen it sooner, couldve gotten a patch if I'd pre ordered the album. Oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5rDyQ_iZWI

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:29 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
I still need to really check out Gris. As for 2013 aggressive stuff I think you probably already know most of the stuff I would suggest... like DNS, Aosoth, Svartsyn, new Arckanum has it's moments, the Paria album, and Permafrost - Devil Worship which I'm about to start writing a review about. Edit again: that new Sad album is a must IMO if you haven't heard it... I forgot it came out this year, seems like awhile already. And Pagan Hellfire - On the Path to Triumph... Ok I'm done now!

Also glad everyone likes Barshasketh, they're awesome, completely original sounding and cool guys. It's cool too see that some of the US distros that got their albums have them right up on their best seller list already \m/ One of the guys in the band actually told me they use 3 guitars on most of the new album and at times even 4 overlapping. The review I wrote for their album was my first one and I did it after one listen, may go back and fix it up sometime.

Gris is great. Still undecided on the new one though. Not sure if I'm in the right place for it, if you catch my drift.

Anyway, heard the new DNS, Aosoth, Sad and Pagan Hellfire. Still need to listen to the Arckanum. I really dug the Sad, makes me think of Sargeist. Will give Svartsyn, Paria and Permafrost. Think I might give Barshasketh a try, too.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:47 am 

FaultyClockwork wrote:

Gris is great. Still undecided on the new one though. Not sure if I'm in the right place for it, if you catch my drift.

Anyway, heard the new DNS, Aosoth, Sad and Pagan Hellfire. Still need to listen to the Arckanum. I really dug the Sad, makes me think of Sargeist. Will give Svartsyn, Paria and Permafrost. Think I might give Barshasketh a try, too.

I've yet to hear anyone say they don't like Sad... Kind of totally disagree with some of the review ratings for their albums but no matter. Barshasketh and Paria are probably the most unique of those last 4, but they're all quality and definitely worth a listen.

Enthroned3112
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:06 pm 

all_pigs_must_die wrote:
I hope somebody here will help me. I want to know this bands name:

https://soundcloud.com/selev

I've downloaded this song maybe seven or eight years ago, cause I thought I could help the guy who shared it on some p2p program... I love it and I wan't to find this demo somehow, but I need the name. Maybe some of you will help me to ease this several years of mind-terror?

Puh, I've been trying for the last almost 2 hours to hear the lyrics and maybe by googling them find the band, but in vain... :aww:

Don't you have at least an idea, where these guys are from, or when the song came out? Sur it is a demo and not a full-length album?

terrorisk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:33 am 

hail. i would be great help if anyone can help me find and kvlt artist to work a cover art for free for my newly form band..for our upcoming demo thanks

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 231  Next