Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Seul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:17 am 

I've been listening to The Ruins of Beverast and plan to write up a piece for the Metal Analysis thread. In the meantime, who else sounds like that? Such an interesting take and style .. please lead me in a similarly foggy, intense direction.

Edit: It's a bit hard for me to be specific, considering I'm at a loss and The Ruins of Beverast is pretty unique. I prefer spreading, epic atmospheres like this, longer tracks with movements. Decidedly experimental, but with a foggy, unfolding pacing. Please do not recommend traditional black metal. I'm really looking for other things in this misty corner of almost ritualistic black metal.

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:00 pm 

AlcoholicMayhem wrote:
Can you recommend me some rare, obscure First Wave Of Black Metal bands? Obviously dont mention bathory, venom, mercyful fate, celtic frost/hellhammer, kat, bulldozer, sarcofago, vulcano, tormentor(hun), old running wild, old sodom, old kreator, old slayer, old destruction. Thanks in advance.

You might like Torr, from the Czech Republic, their 90s stuff was actually pretty good and they often got compared to Hellhammer.

Hermit life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:25 pm 

black metal with bagpipes in the vein of skagos? There's probably no music that fits this bill. If there is, I love you, full homo. Atmospheric metal, please.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:02 pm 

Absu and Absurd have bagpipes in some intro/interlude tracks ("Tara" and "Werwolfthron" respectively). Can't think of any BM bands with bagpipes on the metal parts, though such bands surely exist.

It doesn't have a bagpipe specifically, but Astaarth's "Gloria Burgundia" has a lot of folk instruments and is quite unique folk black metal. Atmospheric in an upbeat way. I suspect you may enjoy this albem even though it's not really what you are asking for. [edit]: the thing at three mins in on "Our Beloved Country" might be a bagpipe.

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:14 pm 

By the way, does anyone know stuff in the vein of new Absurd?

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:59 pm 

Seul wrote:
I've been listening to The Ruins of Beverast and plan to write up a piece for the Metal Analysis thread. In the meantime, who else sounds like that? Such an interesting take and style .. please lead me in a similarly foggy, intense direction.

Edit: It's a bit hard for me to be specific, considering I'm at a loss and The Ruins of Beverast is pretty unique. I prefer spreading, epic atmospheres like this, longer tracks with movements. Decidedly experimental, but with a foggy, unfolding pacing. Please do not recommend traditional black metal. I'm really looking for other things in this misty corner of almost ritualistic black metal.

Hmm, tough call, have you listened to the latest album by fellow Germans Infestus? Pretty dark with lots of Atmosphere without using keyboards, long tracks and the production sounds great. Might be of
Interest to you.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:42 pm 

Only les légions noires is real.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:06 am 

Any news on Wrest? What's going on with the whole accused of rape thing?

Switching topics... What is a good website to buy patches? Specifically black metal. Preferably somewhere based out of the US. Thanks.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:36 am 

This thread is not for this but yeah, check Hells Headbangers and Abyss Records, can't go wrong with them.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:25 am 

Are there any other Satanic Warmaster releases that sound anything like the song off their Behexen split Where Eternity Awaits? Shameless overuse of Am F chord progressions, awesome powerful intense stuff (synth noodlery not necessary at all).

unclevladistav
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:09 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Not really, those bands are all pretty terrible. Look into the Far East Division Black Wolves if you want weird Russian BMers with gang mentality.

Actually they're all pretty amazing, not sure what your problem with them might be, unless it's a question of ideology over music.

For me, the two required albums of BBH listening are Branikald's "Rdyandalir" and Forest's "Like a Blaze Above the Ashes". Check out the Hammerkrieg comp though for a good sampling of a few bands.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:00 am 

Seul, might you know Altar of Plagues? Not as hazy as RoB, but they do a great job combining black metal with post-metal. There's a good amount of atmosphere being displayed on both of their full lengths. Mind you, they are not ultra similar to RoB, but they could get the job done.

You could also like Verdunkeln, Ash Borer is really good as well.

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:43 am 

Does anyone know any black metal bands that incorporate 70s prog? I'm pretty much looking for bands that play a style similar to Enslaved's Axioma Ethica Odini, Vertebrae, and The Sleeping Gods EP. No Nachtmystium.
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:46 pm 

is anyone familiar with any 'noisecore' with good production? Not something like Marduk-style production but a bit more crisp and cleaner?

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:35 am 

MGSX666 wrote:
Does anyone know any black metal bands that incorporate 70s prog? I'm pretty much looking for bands that play a style similar to Enslaved's Axioma Ethica Odini, Vertebrae, and The Sleeping Gods EP. No Nachtmystium.

I don't know if it sounds similar to the bands you mentioned, but Fleurety's Min Tid Skal Komme album is very much worth checking out in this respect.

Quote:

Wolfsmond, especially Des Düsterwaldes Reigen. Heldentum is pretty similar as well. Then there's the black metal stuff by Halgadom, although I personally think their neofolk material is better. Not coincidentally, these bands have all featured Absurd members at one point. Additionally, Totenburg is an NSBM band with a sound very close to that of Absurd.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:43 am 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
is anyone familiar with any 'noisecore' with good production? Not something like Marduk-style production but a bit more crisp and cleaner?

Noisecore, really? Not norsecore?

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:48 pm 

whatever the term is called. I never really got why people even bothered to call that style of black metal norsecore anyways. Just call it black metal. . . .

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:15 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
whatever the term is called. I never really got why people even bothered to call that style of black metal norsecore anyways. Just call it black metal. . . .

So what do you want, black metal or noisecore?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:56 pm 

He obviously meant norsecore, Illwhyan. Don't be a dick.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:18 pm 

yeah, sorry guys XD
anyways yeah I was actually asking for 'norsecore' goddammit, I hate that term but it's the only thing I could use to really describe it without writing a fucking paragraph loolz

BastardHead wrote:

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:08 pm 

unclevladistav wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:
Not really, those bands are all pretty terrible. Look into the Far East Division Black Wolves if you want weird Russian BMers with gang mentality.

Actually they're all pretty amazing, not sure what your problem with them might be, unless it's a question of ideology over music.

They're uniformly weak black metal. I don't know where the idea came from that they are good in comparison to any other group of black metal bands you could pick out of a hat. If it weren't for their ideology, which scads of people from all over the ideological map are for some reason fascinated by, almost nobody would listen to them. They have pretty good underground marketing too, I suppose, but I think that actually is mostly organic and fueled by that weird fascination.

[edit]: They do have a generally "nice" sound, limp riffs, and that unmetal-metal compositional style, not dissimilar in total effect to what you get from the cascadian style BM, which I guess is what a lot of people actually do want from black metal, but I really don't understand the appeal...

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:38 pm 

Go soak your head, John :-P Blazebirth Hall's got tons of excellent material. Everything Branikald released between Varge Fjerne a Tornet and The Strings of Inspiration Sing is just awesome (Hladavzor alone owns your very soul), Forest's Like a Blaze Above the Ashes through As a Song in the Harvest of Grief are fucking great, and Raven Dark's Berustet av Kriegsdronnet, By the Wrath of the Opening Wide Eternity, and Katarsis are all wonderful as well. Barring the odd weak track here and there on some of these albums (which often sound somewhat anomalous and can be easily disregarded), this body of work is one full of power, emotion, and uniqueness. Excellent paeans to bitter, heathenish anguish and singleminded devotion.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:45 pm 

MalignantTyrant wrote:
yeah, sorry guys XD
anyways yeah I was actually asking for 'norsecore' goddammit, I hate that term but it's the only thing I could use to really describe it without writing a fucking paragraph loolz

Setherial is pretty ace.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:09 pm 

already know about them. . Lords of the Nightrealm is an excellent album

BastardHead wrote:

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:20 pm 

vengefulgoat wrote:

Check out any release by Nordglanz. Very influenced by newer Absurd material.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:36 am 

Nordglanz... North glans... Guys, I think this is a biological reference.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:12 pm 

you are of course referring to the glands that secrete saliva? Can't imagine whatever you're talking about.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:19 am 

What's the board's opinion regarding Johann Wolfgang Pozoj?

Obligatory Last FM Link

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:09 pm 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
What's the board's opinion regarding Johann Wolfgang Pozoj?

Awesome band, however I've only known about them for a year or two even though they've been kicking it since 2007. Recently they seem to be generating some buzz. I find there is some intrigue around this band because of the odd name and repeating album titles not to mention the rather cryptic themes... I find them odd yet wonderfully enjoyable. A band I can't quite figure out, but this fact keeps me coming back :)

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:15 pm 

The repeating album titles are re-recordings of the albums. Nothing mysterious about that. Nice stuff. A bit of a BM credibility gap but it's a bit more involving permutation of the kind of thing Furze does.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:18 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
The repeating album titles are re-recordings of the albums. Nothing mysterious about that. Nice stuff. A bit of a BM credibility gap but it's a bit more involving permutation of the kind of thing Furze does.

Ahhh, that's what I had figured, but I had looked at the album info and saw a fairly big difference in time and number of songs. Had assumed they were different which caused confusion as to what the hell album I was listening to. Never put two and two together I guess.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:31 am 

I got a copy of Escape of Pozoj and I'm kind of mystified, really interesting stuff and with a small dose of avant-garde stuff. Pretty interesting. I need more time to digest it though.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:54 pm 

Anybody know of any good ambient black metal? I like ambient,i like black metal,but the only one I've been able to enjoy so far has been coldworld. I checked out Midnight Odyssey's funerals from the astral spheres and found it boring.

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:22 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:
I'm looking for really aggressive black metal with lots of blastbeats, any recs?

Check out Abigor's Apokalypse. Mostly all of their stuff is reliant on blasts and very aggressive. The most recent two album are more experimental and industrial influenced, but definitely worth checking out. Just stay away from "Satanized".

Black Witchery is another good example. Fairly generic but insanely aggressive.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:43 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Anybody know of any good ambient black metal? I like ambient,i like black metal,but the only one I've been able to enjoy so far has been coldworld. I checked out Midnight Odyssey's funerals from the astral spheres and found it boring.

In the vain of ColdWorld, you may enjoy A Forest of Stars or Austere.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:08 pm 

Already know and enjoy Forest,though I wouldn't call them ambient. But I'll check out Austere.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:27 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Already know and enjoy Forest,though I wouldn't call them ambient. But I'll check out Austere.

A bit more ambient..... then perhaps you may enjoy Westering, Lurker of Chalice, or Necktarium.

OscarRio
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:50 pm 

Everyone in here might do well to listen to the new s/t from Dodecahedron

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:16 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

Vinterriket has a lot of ambient in their total mix. Just straight up ambient. Paysage d'Hiver too.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:21 am 

Some really interesting recs,I take back what I said about ambient black metal. I knew paysage d'hiver,forgot to mention them. Mesmerizing stuff.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 231  Next