Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:56 am 

AcidWorm, you could also give Alchemyst a listen. The songwriting is more dynamic than TRoB and Darkspace in the sense that there are a lot more tempo changes, riff changes, death metal-like riffing and solos, but I find the approach to mood and soundscaping is nevertheless comparable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_70cIm_PIe4

If you want black metal more in the vein of Darkspace' ambient noise then check out Vetter;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvIn32caQ9M
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:24 pm 

Huh. Volahn might rule. Their super bright cover art caught my eye in the Latest Purchases thread. The songs are long, and the albums as an extension, but "Quetzalcoatl" had some really....pretty....shit going on. Curious. Very curious.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:50 pm 

Yeah, Volahn's newest is pretty interesting from what I've heard. It's got a lot of flair and shininess, and I guess that's not especially unique for Crepúsculo Negro bands (you could also count the other projects that Eduardo Ramirez is in, as well as Tukaaria and Glossolalia) that album takes it to a new level. Definitely a lot better than his earlier stuff.

Spoiler: show
Rhinocervs is still king tho

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:46 pm 

New Volahn is definitely better than his past stuff. Interested to hear how they will do it live.

I am, however, more interested in seeing the crew taking someone's money and "going in the back" to grab some merch and never coming back.

Also, AcidWorm, check out Lluvia. Might be what you're looking for.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:48 pm 

Hahah I'd like to think they are ripping off the white man. True commitment to their aesthetics! More likely they're just some chubby mexican dudes who went in the back, got stoned, and forgot.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:32 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Could Turdus Merula be anywhere near what you're looking for? It's perhaps not as menacing as Meilenwald's stuff but to be fair not much is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQhwUvnMBqM

AcidWorm, you could also give Alchemyst a listen. The songwriting is more dynamic than TRoB and Darkspace in the sense that there are a lot more tempo changes, riff changes, death metal-like riffing and solos, but I find the approach to mood and soundscaping is nevertheless comparable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_70cIm_PIe4

If you want black metal more in the vein of Darkspace' ambient noise then check out Vetter;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvIn32caQ9M

Ilwhyan wrote:
Check out Malus - The Beauty of Doom. Intense and dark black metal stuff combined with some dreamlike synth passages. Doesn't have the murky production of Rain or Darkspace, though.

Also, Fyrnask's Eldir Nött. Some things about it remind me of Altar of Plagues' White Tomb, but the production is more like Darkspace and the atmosphere much hazier and darker.

Turdus was decent but doesn't quite have that intensity I am looking for here.

Malus, I heard a couple songs and it has moments of what I am looking for but it also has kind of that dream like quality at times I am not looking for, and not always as dense. Still a band I will likely listen to more of though, so thank you.

Alchemyst, I liked a lot though not exactly the sound I am looking for here. I like a lot of black/death so this was still a good recommendation, and I will check them out more.

Vetter is a good recommendation. I still prefer Darkspace as it is even darker but Vetter has a lot of simmilarities that I like.

And thanks for Lluvia markov, though I found them a bit on the boring side to be honest.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:16 am 

AcidWorm wrote:
I am looking for stuff with really dense, dark and sinister soundscapes, and perhaps an otherworldy feel to it as well. The best examples I can think of right now are Ruins of Beverast and some of Darkspace's stuff as well.

Bit late to this, and it might be slightly off the mark, but have you tried Tortorum, especially their Katabasis album from last year? Very good album in my honest opinion, with some awesome, vicious vocals too. Here ya go

Beyond the Earth, Air and Sun

Or from Australia, I give you the gloriously twisted Consummation, whose demo is rather stunning in it's raw malevolence

Rend The Ain Soph

My collection

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:54 pm 

I'm going to jump right in here and promote the shit out of two bands I've discovered recently that some of you guys are sure to like. The first one is Axis of Light with their new EP. This stuff is pretty damn raw, noisy black metal with a ton of melody and some punkiness. The EP just dropped today and I ordered that shit immediately. It's also free on Fallen Empire's Bandcamp: http://axisoflight.co.uk/album/lappel-du-vide-2

The other band is Jarnvidr. This is a swedish project that plays just pure fucking black metal, no frill, no fuss, all riffs. I managed to secure one of the 15(!) copies of the latest album, but it should be out on CD and then protape by Werewolf Promotion I believe, so don't despair.

Enjoy!

Murtal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:02 pm 

I'm looking for nice EPs ,Demos and splits.

Can you recommend me good ones ?

Mostly from True,Raw,DSBM and symphonic

Sorry for my Inconvenience, English isn't my native language.

Last edited by Metantoine on Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tell us more, what sort of black metal do you want?

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:54 am 

This is a cool split:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Kr ... rath/13640
but not very obscure so you might already know it...

Tuukaria's splits are awesome.
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Tukaaria/3540320220

Torture Chain has a bunch of neat demos:
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Tor ... 3540270918
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

PanteraWoopWoop666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:28 pm 

I need some Communist black metal can anyone help a fellow prolteriet?

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:45 pm 

Can someone recommend black metal similar to 1349 (Beyond the Apocalipse era), but with the best tremolo riffs you know?

Fackelzug
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:48 pm 

I haven't listened to 1349 in ages, but you might enjoy Panzer Division Marduk, Gorgoroth, specifically Incipit Satan, and Endstille, specifically Dominanz.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:32 pm 

PanteraWoopWoop666 wrote:
I need some Communist black metal can anyone help a fellow prolteriet?

hahaha im guessing this is a joke request but theres a few here. note that some bands who have anti communism as a lyrical theme are in those results as well, because of how the search works.

theres also NKVD from france who like to use communist imagery as well as stuff from other totalitarian regimes. they don't seem to be endorsing it though.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:13 pm 

Not "Communist" per se, but there are a fair number of leftist-leaning bands who fuse black metal with crust/anarcho-punk. Examples would include Iskra, Nema, or my good friend Kyle's (sadly now-defunct) band Dead Man.

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:15 am 

I'm on the lookout for Dissection clones, and Watain is super high on their similar artist list. Which of their albums is the most Dissection-y? Feel free to throw me any bands in that style beyond the basics. Moderately good production is a must.
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:26 am 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
I'm on the lookout for Dissection clones, and Watain is super high on their similar artist list. Which of their albums is the most Dissection-y? Feel free to throw me any bands in that style beyond the basics. Moderately good production is a must.

Most obvious band to try would be Thulcandra, pure Dissection worship. Also try the awesome 'Far Away From the Sun' by Sacramentum. Also try the likes of Unanimated, Dawn, Vinterland.

Another unknown gem, this time from the U.S. you may enjoy, Valdrin. They show similarities to Dissection as well as others. Well worth a listen, pity they are not that well known.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Va ... est/380940

https://valdrin.bandcamp.com/

Regarding Watain it has been a while since I listened to them but from memory you should be looking towards the earlier material. From memory Casus Luciferi is a good place to start.

Cry_In_The_Night
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:42 am 

No expert on Watain by any means, but are they actually similar to Dissection at all besides thematically ("Reinkaos", Misanthropic Luciferian Order and so on)? I remember them as a mostly (sub)standard black metal act that got really popular riding on this "orthodox" trend a few years back. But it's been a while since I last listened to them and I haven't heard all their material.

I mean, Dissection had this melodic vibe going that was almost similar to Gothenburg melodeath (not strange since a few of the earliest Gothenburg melodeath bands have cited Storm of the Light's Bane as a huge influence). From what Watain material I've heard, Watain doesn't have this. Is the later stuff more Dissection-like?

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:53 am 

Cry_In_The_Night wrote:
No expert on Watain by any means, but are they actually similar to Dissection at all besides thematically ("Reinkaos", Misanthropic Luciferian Order and so on)? I remember them as a mostly (sub)standard black metal act that got really popular riding on this "orthodox" trend a few years back. But it's been a while since I last listened to them and I haven't heard all their material.

I mean, Dissection had this melodic vibe going that was almost similar to Gothenburg melodeath (not strange since a few of the earliest Gothenburg melodeath bands have cited Storm of the Light's Bane as a huge influence). From what Watain material I've heard, Watain doesn't have this. Is the later stuff more Dissection-like?

As per above, from memory there is musical similarities in the early Watain material and no so much in the later from what I remember, check out the album I mentioned.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:12 pm 

STORMM wrote:
Cry_In_The_Night wrote:

As per above, from memory there is musical similarities in the early Watain material and no so much in the later from what I remember, check out the album I mentioned.

Yeah, there are some similarities in terms of melody and a bit of the tremolo style used on Casus Luciferi, which is where the similarities are most obvious. I don't remember hearing much (if any) Dissection on the debut, and the later albums do seem to shy away into a more modern and polished style, but that sophomore does have enough similarities to bring Dissection to mind. Still, it's more of a "oh, that part reminds me of Dissection" more so than actually sounding equal.

I can't vouch enough for Stormm's recommendations a few posts above, but I'll add Midvinter's sole album to that bunch. ;)

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:36 pm 

Good call with Midvinter drodi, love that album and an overlooked gem. Funny enough I was in their page earlier to see if there has been any update recently! Good minds think alike haha

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:44 pm 

It's a really cool album yeah, though you need to be in that "Slaughtersun/8-9 minutes song" kind of mood. Otherwise it becomes a bit hard to digest. But it's indeed an album that needs more appreciation.

PS: Oh, auto-spoiler on embedded YT videos?! Nice! :)

Fackelzug
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:46 pm 

I recommend you to listen to Hirilorn from France. Legends of Evil and Eternal Death is somewhat similar to early Dissection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3vVceOAY14

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:17 pm 

I got my copy of Aq'Ab'Al by Volahn last night. I was exhausted so I only spun the A-side of the tape but I really enjoyed what I heard. Tons of manic, winding riffs that have this really bright uplifting feel. I don't know dick about composing music but I'm assuming there's a lot of major key stuff going on here? Can't think of a single other band to compare it to (that Ramirez doesn't play in, at least) and I like that as well. I'm not big on forward progression in music, but it seems that he's stumbled onto a cool formula.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:18 pm 

How does the tape sound? I downloaded a rip of the tape because I don't have my tape deck at school with me and it sounds pretty bad. I agree about Volahn sounding unique. I've heard them compared to Ulver which is true for their debut at least, but this new stuff is pretty interesting.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:40 pm 

It's definitely rough. I thought whatever I sampled on youtube was quite a bit more pristine sounding. I don't mind, not by any means, but it's rough for sure. It took me just a few minutes to adjust and it was smooth sailing from there. The type of riffs he writes, that bright stuff, really cuts through the muck and murk anyways.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:14 pm 

The stream of the album from the Bandcamp is much cleaner than the tape rip so I downloaded that instead. Sounds way better!

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:39 pm 

Roger that! I'm sure the CD version will sound much cleaner. I just didn't want to wait, and I liked the continuity of all my Volahn stuff being on tape. It's a little worrying to me that I received a package from Iron Bonehead (Germany) before NWN (California) though. Hoping he's just overwhelmed with a flood of orders trying to raise funds for the down payment on a warehouse.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:15 pm 

why wrote:
I'd like some black metal with an element of actual fun. You know, in the spirit of Venom or Mercyful Fate with an overly eccentric attitude to things and a certain playful distance to the material instead of all out grimness and despair. Recent examples in the form of songs would be "Demon For A Day" by Hail Spirit Noir or "Myr" by Taake with its Banjo Breakdown (Edit: AND LET'S NOT FORGET DARKTHRONE'S RECENT EFFORTS!!).

not sure if I'm in too late, but I guess you're looking for lugubrum from belgium. also, check out kvikksolvguttene's album "krieg", even though it may be a bit too much on the death metal-ish side. that was a one-(or rather two-) off project with necrobutcher of mayhem.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:45 pm 

Commandaunt wrote:
What are some bands/albums that you guys feel are usually left out of the classic black metal album lists? I'm thinking bands like Ragnarok, Kvist and Lord Belial. That tier of bands that you don't really hear associated with Burzum, Emperor, Gorgoroth, etc, but were around at the same time making similar music.

this is a very good question and I'm sure there must be dozens if not hundreds of valid answers, so I'll just go off the top of my head (we're not talking scandinavia exclusively, are we?). ?=not sure if they fit the list

throne of ahaz
forgotten woods
mörk gryning
thornium
fleurety
obtained enslavement
ungod
setherial
nefandus
nastrond
black crucifixion
manes
niden div.187
dodheimsgard (?)
ildjarn (?)
gehenna (?)
svartsyn
urgehal
fester
arckanum
blot mine
tulus
ancient
demonic
grand belial's key (?)
nagelfar
diabolicum
sorhin
odium
tartaros
perished
isvind
ophthalamia
malign
judas iscariot (?)
demoncy
tsjuder
kvist
the black
midvinter
trelldom

could go on forever, but I'll leave it at this. any idea why some made it and some not? except for obvious reasons like early disbanding etc.? I guess one important reason could be links to the 1993 events in norway surrounding euronymous's death/the churchfires/etc. and the resulting media hype.

musical quality may play a role here and there, but certainly not in all cases. bad distribution/promotion? this was crucial in pre-internet times. any explanations/examples are appreciated
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:55 am 

into_the_pit wrote:
Commandaunt wrote:
What are some bands/albums that you guys feel are usually left out of the classic black metal album lists? I'm thinking bands like Ragnarok, Kvist and Lord Belial. That tier of bands that you don't really hear associated with Burzum, Emperor, Gorgoroth, etc, but were around at the same time making similar music.

this is a very good question and I'm sure there must be dozens if not hundreds of valid answers, so I'll just go off the top of my head (we're not talking scandinavia exclusively, are we?). ?=not sure if they fit the list

could go on forever, but I'll leave it at this. any idea why some made it and some not? except for obvious reasons like early disbanding etc.? I guess one important reason could be links to the 1993 events in norway surrounding euronymous's death/the churchfires/etc. and the resulting media hype.

musical quality may play a role here and there, but certainly not in all cases. bad distribution/promotion? this was crucial in pre-internet times. any explanations/examples are appreciated

the classic lists and your list focus far too much on Norway and Scandinavia. The greek scene is criminally underrated for instance despite producing better music than much of the norwegian scene. Same with the early czech scene. there are other scenes that could be mentioned and some bands that didn't have much of a scene but were still important too. It's mostly due to the media coverage from the church burnings - that narrative has become the story of black metal and the associated bands have become canonical, and we end up being told that black metal began in and was centered around norway, even though that's not true. the same thing happens over time in almost any genre - a select few bands or scenes become regarded as canonical and other things that were contemporary are often forgotten. I don't know if theres that much point in like writing a big list, i'm not very fond of lists personally.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:29 pm 

I'm looking for black metal in the vein of this sound. Of this particular track:

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:17 pm 

Can anyone recommend some raw, cold, fast, ugly, "true" BM similar to the Canadian 'Frost'? Thanks in advance!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3hWUCjN8Xr0

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:08 pm 

I was thinking about asking for some recommendations about a specific type of black metal, but I fear my request may be both too vague and too picky at the same time. This is so because what I'm after is not a specific type of sound (well, it is actually) but more of a specific mood and response being evoked by the music.

Let me see if I can put that into proper words. I'm after atmosphere oriented black metal, with a semi-melodic edge in terms of chord progressions while still carrying a sorrowful weight, harmonized layers of guitars doing so, a raw or a bit lo-fi production but that still sounds organic and not just dry and trebbly, long songs that take their time to develop but do get somewhere and eventually climax, and a kind of misanthropic vibe in the music that makes you feel like you're the only person alive in the landscape that is musically evoked.

Confused? Well, the thing is this, I like my Pd'H/Darkspace/Earth And Pillars albums because those just take me away from the world and put me right in the middle of the land(sonic)scape they're portraying. Those albums make me loose myself and abstract myself from the world, in a way that I can go around in the middle of the street with Das Tor playing on the headphones and still feel like I'm the only person alive in this world. And that sentiment of misanthropy and loneliness is exactly what I'm looking for, not just "bands that play like Pd'H/Darkspace/Earth And Pillars". Know what I mean?!

So, anything I could try? :)

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:29 pm 

this branch of black metal usually isn't really my cup of tea, but do you know beithíoch's aisling dhorcha? not sure if this what you're looking for though.

http://youtu.be/6C70rKiJ0WQ

I can say for sure that it takes me away like on a dream trip just in the way that was the intention behind it. works for me, check it out if you haven't yet. can be downloaded from hi.arc.tow, hit me up if you want it on tape.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:44 pm 

Can't say I'm familiar with the band, but after a couple of songs I can say I do appreciate the style. The "no CD version" thingy may get in the way of me dedicating enough time to this though, as I don't buy tape/vinyl, just CDs. I do like the Burzum vibe, and it definitely gets into the kind of atmosphere I'm after.

Postmantwice
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:25 pm 

Looking something similar to Burzum in particular the Filosofem album and the tracks Dunkelheit and Beholding the Daughters of the Firmament.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:09 pm 

YO, completely unrelated to most of these recommendation requests, but I feel that this should be get some attention. There's this Serbian band called Svartgren that's releasing their debut album in April this year and they're pretty tight. Fans of Mgla take note!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:22 pm 

androdion wrote:
Spoiler: show
I was thinking about asking for some recommendations about a specific type of black metal, but I fear my request may be both too vague and too picky at the same time. This is so because what I'm after is not a specific type of sound (well, it is actually) but more of a specific mood and response being evoked by the music.

Let me see if I can put that into proper words. I'm after atmosphere oriented black metal, with a semi-melodic edge in terms of chord progressions while still carrying a sorrowful weight, harmonized layers of guitars doing so, a raw or a bit lo-fi production but that still sounds organic and not just dry and trebbly, long songs that take their time to develop but do get somewhere and eventually climax, and a kind of misanthropic vibe in the music that makes you feel like you're the only person alive in the landscape that is musically evoked.

Confused? Well, the thing is this, I like my Pd'H/Darkspace/Earth And Pillars albums because those just take me away from the world and put me right in the middle of the land(sonic)scape they're portraying. Those albums make me loose myself and abstract myself from the world, in a way that I can go around in the middle of the street with Das Tor playing on the headphones and still feel like I'm the only person alive in this world. And that sentiment of misanthropy and loneliness is exactly what I'm looking for, not just "bands that play like Pd'H/Darkspace/Earth And Pillars". Know what I mean?!

So, anything I could try? :)

Okay, I'll have a crack at this and see if I may have something for you (hopefully).

First off is the Australian band Order Of Orias, who utilize a great sense of caustic, layered melody, while simultaneously giving off that desperate, "last man alive" atmosphere of staring into the abyss, waiting for a response.

Irreverence

Secondly from Germany, is Infestus. This (one man) black metal band seems to exude a sense of misanthropic loneliness, that gives the songs and albums a true sense of sorrow, with long(ish) song structures, amazingly layered guitar work, breathing a grey and washed out atmosphere. This is stuff you can truly become lost in.

Der Blick hinaus
Constant Soul Corrosion

My collection

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:36 pm 

I thank you for the effort mate, I know it ain't an easy task. ;)

Curiously enough you just cited two bands that I'm already familiar with. I think it was during last year that I was having a massive black metal binge and I ended up being recommended stuff like Carpe Noctem, Ascension, Order Of Orias, Wormlust and many others. Oh yeah, Infestus too, more specifically his "E x | I s t" album. It was on a different context though, more on the dissonant side of black metal. I'd prefer something more "abstract" you know, although it is true that even In Terra Profugus or Flesh Cathedral can hit me like how I described in my request. They just don't go as "deep" into it as I wanted to, if that makes any fucking sense! :lol:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 231  Next