Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:57 pm 

Karlabos wrote:
Are there any underground lo-fi electronic black metal projects like this or this?
This may sound weird, but I'm looking for the less black metal and the more electronic as possible, but please not almost entirely instrumental albums. Something more or less like in the examples.

Industrial/Grindcore/Black Metal:

Probably the best thing among the three imo. Epic, misanthropic & memorable.

Experimental/Electronic Extreme Metal:

Pretty disjointed composition with unpredictable shifts. Nice growls & snarls belting out anti-Christian lyrics. "Aside from the vocals of The Misanthroat, Cult of the Nazarene's music is made entirely with computers, synthesizers, and sequencers. No guitars, drums, or bass were used."

Industrial/Noise/Ambient/Black Metal:

There are vocals on this but they are either very low or used sparingly, don't take my word for it though. Creative layering of different textures plus some other artsy bullshit & whatnot.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:25 pm 

Black Metal with clean electric guitars? Think of Akercocke - Leviathan (not BM, I know) as a reference

Thanks

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:44 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
Black Metal with clean electric guitars? Think of Akercocke - Leviathan (not BM, I know) as a reference

Thanks

How about Voices? 3/4 members are ex-Akercocke.

Also try Harakiri for the Sky. Emotional Post-BM/'Blackgaze' stuff:

Last edited by IamDBR on Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aszfargoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:51 pm 

I've been on a Kult Ofenzivy streak lately, their latest and greatest album, "Nauky různic" especially, and would like to know if there are any bands with a similar sound; namely, fairly minimalist and dissonant, aggressive and imposing:

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:20 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
Thexhumed wrote:

Thanks

How about Voices? 3/4 members are ex-Akercocke.

Also try Harakiri for the Sky. Emotional Post-BM/'Blackgaze' stuff:

Wow, these two are fantastic, thanks a lot

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:31 pm 

Welcome man, anytime!

Amjs2000
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:48 pm 

Does anyone know any black metal bands that use creepy high pitched growls?

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:39 pm 

Amjs2000 wrote:
Does anyone know any black metal bands that use creepy high pitched growls?

Can you give an example of what you are looking for?

Amjs2000
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:56 am 

Something like Emperor-In the Nightside Eclipse and like what Gorgoroth used on Pentagram and Antichrist. Also like Behexen Night of Blasphemy. The singers on those albums used high pitched growls.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:05 pm 

The vocalist from Thy Antichrist can fucking wail & is quite the showman. Standard bm from what I've heard with maybe some atmospheric touches thrown in there. Check it out for yourself:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood Division (Singapore) play a nice mix of crust punk/speed/black metal, the bestial vocals are an added bonus:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frostmoon; extremely underrated Norwegian late 90s black metal with an epic pagan/viking thing going on. Every bm fanatic needs to hear this. There is some gnarly screeching in there & the overall music kicks ass too. It's an honor to recommend this obscure gem:

Sunlight's Bane tore me new one when I discovered them recently. They play a vicious mix of crusty grindcore & black metal. The vocalist is fucking possessed, probably the most bat-shit insane thing in this post:

Get this filth here:
https://seeingredrecords.bandcamp.com/a ... -7-w-geist
Now go on and destroy your ears :p

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:37 pm 

Amjs2000 wrote:
Something like Emperor-In the Nightside Eclipse and like what Gorgoroth used on Pentagram and Antichrist. Also like Behexen Night of Blasphemy. The singers on those albums used high pitched growls.

Do you know Hecate Enthroned's The Slaughter of Innocence?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:55 am 

I'm sure we had a similar request a few weeks (or month(s)?) back; needed misanthropic/nihilist black metal in which I can 'feel' the hate. Raw bm to industrial bm, anything that is hateful as fuck will do. It'll be even better if I can somewhat decipher the vocals. Thanks!

Edit: those bloody typos!

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:13 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
I'm sure we had a similar request a few weeks (or month(s)?) back; needed misanthropic/nihilist black metal in which I can 'feel' the hate. Raw bm to industrial bm, anything that is hateful as fuck will do. It'll be even better if I can somewhat decipher the vocals. Thanks!

Edit: those bloody typos!

Try Mayhem's "Chimera".

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:44 pm 

try diabolicum - the dark blood rising.

also, anything by ildjarn. I prefer the demos (ildjarn is dead) or forest poetry, but really, anything should work.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:15 am 

Unity wrote:
Try Mayhem's "Chimera".

I had given up on Mayhem for some unknown reason. For the longest time I considered Deathcrush to be the pinnacle of their discography having not given their other stuff a real listen. Chimera definitely has me intrigued so far. I asked about 'tech black metal' here some time ago and this is definitely giving some of those vibes. What album should I try after this? Thanks!

into_the_pit wrote:
try diabolicum - the dark blood rising.
also, anything by ildjarn. I prefer the demos (ildjarn is dead) or forest poetry, but really, anything should work.

I already know about Diabolicum but thanks, insanely underrated band btw. I listened to that Ildjarn album in the middle of the night with almost zero lighting, 10/10 scared shitless. I had to take breaks because I was getting paranoid as fuck and that hasn't happened in a long time. I guess that's how you know a black metal record is good. Thanks!

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:24 am 

Recommend me some unearthly black metal. Think Xasthur's 'Telepathic With The Deceased', Lurker Of Chalice's S/T and Leviathan's 'Scar Sighted'

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:01 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Recommend me some unearthly black metal. Think Xasthur's 'Telepathic With The Deceased', Lurker Of Chalice's S/T and Leviathan's 'Scar Sighted'

That's a pretty open field, but maybe Striborg "Spiritual Catharsis", ColdWorld "Melancholie2", and the vast majority of the Paysage d'Hiver discography might suit your fancy.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:30 am 

Elysian Blaze, Darkspace and Blut Aus Nord might also tick some of those boxes.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:13 pm 

IamDBR wrote:
Unity wrote:
Try Mayhem's "Chimera".

I had given up on Mayhem for some unknown reason. For the longest time I considered Deathcrush to be the pinnacle of their discography having not given their other stuff a real listen. Chimera definitely has me intrigued so far. I asked about 'tech black metal' here some time ago and this is definitely giving some of those vibes. What album should I try after this? Thanks!

[/quote]

If you liked "Chimera", they try "Grand Declaration Of War". The first part in particular is pretty technical.

Sceadugenga
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:34 pm 

Looking for some real fucking woeful shit. So far the only band that's been able to penetrate me is Dyster and I'd like to add some more DSBM to my collection. I'd prefer it if the vocals didn't sound like crying, but it's ok if they do. Any takers?

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:52 am 

@ Unity: Alright, will do that after giving Chimera a few more listens. Thanks!

@ Sceadugenga: Try Xasthur & Leviathan if you haven't already. Also try Make a Change...Kill Yourself, Lifelover, Deadspace. Hope this helps!

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:03 am 

Sceadugenga wrote:
Looking for some real fucking woeful shit. So far the only band that's been able to penetrate me is Dyster and I'd like to add some more DSBM to my collection. I'd prefer it if the vocals didn't sound like crying, but it's ok if they do. Any takers?

Inverno Eterno are pretty good, only they're Portuguese so you probably won't understand their lyrics though.

Sceadugenga
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:47 am 

Unity wrote:
Sceadugenga wrote:

Inverno Eterno are pretty good, only they're Portuguese so you probably won't understand their lyrics though.

This is good. Not as good as Dyster but still raw and more than just a series of long drawn out tremolo notes which so many DSBM bands seem to utilize. Thanks.

Last edited by Sceadugenga on Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:51 am 

Lately I've really been enjoying Behemoth's early BM stuff. Can you folks recommend me something similar? :)

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:48 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

That's a pretty open field, but maybe Striborg "Spiritual Catharsis", ColdWorld "Melancholie2", and the vast majority of the Paysage d'Hiver discography might suit your fancy.

Ilwhyan wrote:
Elysian Blaze, Darkspace and Blut Aus Nord might also tick some of those boxes.

Thanks, but all of these I know. Giving Darkspace a new chance, though! I hate Striborg. hah.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:59 pm 

Hehe, they're not exactly unknown artists, are they? I take it you know Sun of the Blind as well, then?

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:31 am 

Hey guys, is there anything else like The Great Old Ones out there that isn't in the similar artists tab? I ask this because I've heard all of those and they don't exactly have that "thing" that TGOO has. I love both albums but that guitar tone and dissonace/melodic interplay in Antarctica is just killer.

Speaking of their song Antarctica, every time I listen to it I can't help but think about Morbid Angel's Formulas Fatal to the Flesh. Are there any other black metal bands that have this kind of vibe in the guitars?

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:37 pm 

androdion wrote:
Hey guys, is there anything else like The Great Old Ones out there that isn't in the similar artists tab? I ask this because I've heard all of those and they don't exactly have that "thing" that TGOO has. I love both albums but that guitar tone and dissonace/melodic interplay in Antarctica is just killer.

Speaking of their song Antarctica, every time I listen to it I can't help but think about Morbid Angel's Formulas Fatal to the Flesh. Are there any other black metal bands that have this kind of vibe in the guitars?

I also love TGOO, and it's hard to find anything that sounds as massive as them, but there are some other bands I enjoy that I usually put in the same playlist, though I can't say they have a similar guitar tone, I hope you enjoy them.

Archivist

Nhor

Agruss

Gris

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:37 pm 

Can anybody recommend some black metal with clean vocals? Preferably the more melodic or ambient kind of black metal but really anything with cleaner vocals will do. They don't even have to be super clean, but you get the idea. I'm curious to hear what's been done in that vein.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:16 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Can anybody recommend some black metal with clean vocals? Preferably the more melodic or ambient kind of black metal but really anything with cleaner vocals will do. They don't even have to be super clean, but you get the idea. I'm curious to hear what's been done in that vein.

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

stainedclass2112
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:26 pm 

Woah this is really good! I knew Nattens Madrigal and some of their ambient stuff but not this! Thanks a lot soda.

raspberrysoda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:36 pm 

stainedclass2112 wrote:
Woah this is really good! I knew Nattens Madrigal and some of their ambient stuff but not this! Thanks a lot soda.

You're welcome!

Check these out too-

stainedclass2112 wrote:
It was a joke you darn can of fizzy sweetened liquid

BastardHead wrote:
Somebody is getting murdered but poor razz just wants his beauty sleep.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:43 pm 

IntoNevermore wrote:
androdion wrote:

I also love TGOO, and it's hard to find anything that sounds as massive as them, but there are some other bands I enjoy that I usually put in the same playlist, though I can't say they have a similar guitar tone, I hope you enjoy them.

Agruss I'm not familiar with and Gris I know by name but never actually heard them, so I'll check them out. I could've sworn I've heard Nhor before, but I just can't remember, and I really should give Archivist another chance. I heard them when the album came out but I've come to further appreciate that style during these past few months.

Thanks for replying. :)

PS: Heard them, here are some notes.

Nhor and Gris are more on the dreamy melancholic side, not really the type of vibe that I was after. Agruss touches it in places but it's altogether a very messy mixture of styles that I really can't appreciate. As for Archivist, man, I should like them but every time I listen to the album I get that feeling that something is missing. Sorry mate.

IntoNevermore
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:42 am 

Oh, no worries, sorry I couldn't help you man. I kinda predicted that bc the sound of TGOO is just too massive in a way most post-black metal acts can't replicate with their mellow but harsh atmosphere. Have you tried to find this kind of guitar tone in other forms of post metal? I've heard a bit of Sumac and they have this thick guitar tone that resembles a bit to the one used in Antarctica.

Wish I could help you more.

so you perfectly understand why people don't like the shit

Last.Fm|Twitter|Youtube Channel|Facebook

Kappenator
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:37 am 

Found a band on Spotify called NAHR ALMA. They were pretty interesting. they had a Bandcamp also.
Check them out if you like bands similar to Portal, Terra Tenebrosa and Altar of Plagues.

https://play.spotify.com/artist/2Vwg3kR ... edium=open
https://nahr-alma.bandcamp.com/album/shells

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:16 am 

Check out these guys, pretty intense stuff:

https://martrod.bandcamp.com/album/tran ... -of-wounds

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:29 pm 

IntoNevermore wrote:
Oh, no worries, sorry I couldn't help you man. I kinda predicted that bc the sound of TGOO is just too massive in a way most post-black metal acts can't replicate with their mellow but harsh atmosphere. Have you tried to find this kind of guitar tone in other forms of post metal? I've heard a bit of Sumac and they have this thick guitar tone that resembles a bit to the one used in Antarctica.

Wish I could help you more.

Yeah, you're spot on. I've heard most (if not all) of the best known post-black acts and they either fall to much under the (post-)hardcore banner or they're just wimpy like Deafheaven. Mind you that I've got nothing against the band like many do, and I actually understand where they're trying to get, but it's just the style that I find unappealing. The closest thing I got was Regarde Les Hommes Tomber, yet they dwell too much on the sludge (and hardcore) side of things. If it gets too close to Celeste then I'm out, know what I mean?!

I've tried searching for stuff in that vein but this specific brand of post-black seems to be in the minority, whereas the wimpy one has a lot of followers. Go figure, ha ha.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:29 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:

Shameless self-promotion: check out the stuff on my Bandcamp (link in my signature).

Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:54 am 

stainedclass2112 wrote:

Maybe Enslaved's "Axioma Ethica Odini"? It's been a while since I last listened to it in its entirety but I remember it having some clean parts vocal-wise.

^ Don't turn it off due to the sudden intro. Listen to that song in its entirety at least once. :wink:
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:38 am 

I'm looking for Ildjarn inspired bands.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174 ... 231  Next