Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:48 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:
So one thing that has always interested me about the second wave of black metal was the style of guitar sound and production. More specifically, the deep, sharp-sounding tone that early Samael and especially Bathory's Blood Fire Death used. I found the way these second wave bands implement it into their songs with a sense of melody amazing. It's rather difficult to describe. The prime example of this sound would be Det som engang var, the album. Other examples are Gorgoroth's first two, Nargaroth's Herbstleyd, Hades' Alone Walkyng demo, Darkthrone's "Quintessence" and other such songs on Panzerfaust, and, to some extent, Moonblood's Blut und Krieg, Burzum's Hvis lyset tar oss, and Dissection's The Somberlain. Basically, a fairly clear, organic, non-harsh sound with a moderate emphasis on bass and an "off" tune (an example of an "on" tune with a similar guitar sound would be Hades' ...Again Shall Be, as opposed to DSEV).

I'm looking for more BM bands and albums that have that guitar sound, tune and production, as it is much more common to find things with a style akin to Marduk, later Mayhem, or Abigor than Hades' Alone Walkyng.

Hope you guys understand what I'm getting at :oh shit:

Gonna post some links that embody this sound I'm looking for the most:

Hades - Unholy Congregation
Burzum - Lost Wisdom
Gorgoroth - Sorg
Darkthrone - Quintessence

Pretty sure ya'll know these, just making it clear that THAT's what I'm looking for.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:16 pm 

I'm not entirely certain. But I'm trying to pull a few things together that fit that guitar sound. You probably already know about Satyricon or Dimmu Borgir.

Evol have something like that, but it's also covered up by keys. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRolnZcGbfc

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:29 pm 

I guess I could have said that I know early Satyricon and DB but that specific atmosphere, that specific sound is still nowhere near as strong with them as on DSEV. That Evol track was rather organic and non-harsh but there's a noticeable lack of low-end and bass that is still quite central to the overall sound of the music in my examples.

YouPeopleArePoison
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:28 pm 

What about early Aeternus (prior to 1999), Blut aus Nord's "Memoria Vetusta I", Ulver's "Bergtatt" or Arckanum's entire body of work?

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:03 pm 

Argh! Bergtatt should have been in my original post too. Know it, love it.

Never heard Aeternus before, will check now. I don't remember anything about "Memoria Vetusta I" concerning that guitar sound, but I will revisit. From what I've heard of ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ, nothing about the sound stood out to me in particular when I heard it, but again, I'll revisit.

Much appreciated!

YouPeopleArePoison
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:20 am 

You're welcome. :)

Aeternus had noticeable death metal influence from the very beginning, so their sound always was bass-heavy.

Here are a few Arckanum tracks off various releases which IMO have that particular sound to a varying degree:

Perhaps also Kampfar's s/t MCD and 2006 album "Kvass" and Darkwoods My Betrothed's first couple of full-lengths?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:17 pm 

Why Kvass and not a better album like Mellom Skogkledde Aaser?

YouPeopleArePoison
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:46 pm 

Because "Mellom..." has a sound completely different to the one they're looking for, no?

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:34 pm 

Eh? The Mellom... version's sound of "Hymne" is much more "off" and deeper than the s/t's. I know the latter release but it doesn't really fit my request as much as what I've heard from Mellom... just now, thanks Wilytank. Will check Kvass though.

Memoria Vetusta: I, although more trebly and less clear-sounding than DSEV, otherwise it's just right, thanks! I got really turned off by later stuff but this is interesting indeed, and some moments are kinda LLN-ish, too (I love LLN).

As for Arckanum... now the first and fourth examples you posted were excellent! Exactly what I'm looking for. Putting their debut and sophomore near the top of my wishlist straight away. The second and third ones were less so, but still the music quality itself is great! I dunno how I missed these guys before.

Will listen to Aeternus and Darkwoods My Betrothed soon.

YouPeopleArePoison
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:59 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:
Eh? The Mellom... version's sound of "Hymne" is much more "off" and deeper than the s/t's.

Well, I dunno, I always preferred the MCD version exactly because I felt it had a warmer, deeper, fuller sound than its full-length counterpart which sounds colder and thinner to me. I may be biased towards the s/t as it was the first Kampfar release I had ever heard, though. Anyway, perhaps also check out their sophomore, "Fra Underverdenen" then, it further elaborates on the sound of "Mellom...".

Sepulchrave wrote:
Memoria Vetusta: I, although more trebly and less clear-sounding than DSEV, otherwise it's just right, thanks! I got really turned off by later stuff but this is interesting indeed, and some moments are kinda LLN-ish, too (I love LLN).

Its predecessor has a similar, though much icier sound, so it may be worth exploring too.

Sepulchrave wrote:
As for Arckanum... now the first and fourth examples you posted were excellent! Exactly what I'm looking for. Putting their debut and sophomore near the top of my wishlist straight away. The second and third ones were less so, but still the music quality itself is great! I dunno how I missed these guys before.

It's great to hear you've enjoyed them. :) "Kostogher" sounds neither like "Fran Marder" nor like "Kampen", but all three are truly brilliant. I'd also give "Trulen" a shot; it does sound like a demo yet the mastery and potential are clearly there.

I'm not sure whether you're familiar with classic Greek bands (Rotting Christ, Varathron, Necromantia etc.)? Granted, they tend to have more traditional heavy metal influence in their sound, but I think some may very well be to your liking.

Oh, and Raven Dark's "Berustet av Kriegsdronnet".

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:20 pm 

YouPeopleArePoison wrote:
2) epic BM in the vein of Mayhemic Truth/Morrigan, Moonblood/Nachtfalke and Kampfar's s/t MCD. Songs like "Bluot Era Hathu", "Staring in the Eyes of ChuChullain", "Geschmiedet im Feuer des eisernen Willens", "Forgotten Spells in the Forests Nocturnal" (the opening section), "Hail Teutonia", "Pestkrieg" and the entirety of "Wotan's Return" are more or less where it's at. So basically something with heavy Bathory influence yet with a sound of its own (Macabre Omen is another perfect example), preferably without synths and with both clean and harsh vocals;

do you know the vinterlandet MCD by mock (kinda pre-kampfar)?
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

YouPeopleArePoison
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:50 pm 

Yes, naturally. It's a tad too fast overall, though, and doesn't feature enough clean vocals/choirs; I was thinking about "Blood Fire Death" (the song) and "Hammerheart" (the album) most of all when I mentioned Bathory influence. Thanks anyway.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:44 pm 

thought about something else you requested:

1) epic raw BM along the lines of early-mid Graveland

you might try these (even though it's mostly old demo stuff):

the seventh gate - fabulae (not that graveland-ish, but it fits along the lines of primitive mid-90's warrior black metal; this one is one of my favorite demos ever)
azalon - heathen dignity
fullmoon - united aryan evil (even though I'm fairly sure you know this one already. maybe other TTF bands might work as well?)
some mid-period grausamkeit maybe? (think pre-2000)
helwetti - demo 98 (maybe closer to warloghe, but you might like this anyway. come to think of it, what about the warloghe demo?)

and even though you didn't ask for these specifically, I have a feeling I should leave you these recommendations anyway:

cold - a call from the grimness (still available from the label, I guess)
armageddon (ger) - grievous; seriously, check this out!
sorhin - i fulmanens dystra sken
ravensdöm
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:13 pm 

I want some instrumental and drumless black metal, just guitar riffing. Like Aäkon Këëtrëh

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:54 pm 

Thorns' "Grymyrk" demo is like that. Judas Iscariot's "I filled with woes the passing wind" is also.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:13 pm 

I'm looking for black metal in the vein of Dimmu Borgir's 'Stormblåst' and also in the vein of this Old Man's Child track:

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:57 pm 

Songs/bands similar to Satyricons KING and Black Crow on a tombstone? Also, the cover song on Abbaths album is something like Im looking for too.(was that a Priest song?)

I asked this awhile back and got mostly reccs of black/thrash type bands but thats not what Im looking for...it doesnt need to be black or metal at all really.

Basically hard rock with some extreme elements....maybe? IDK one of you fuckers should know what Im trying to say. :p

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:13 pm 

Sepulchrave wrote:
From what I've heard of ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ, nothing about the sound stood out to me in particular when I heard it, but again, I'll revisit. Much appreciated!

Interesting you say that, because the guitar tone on that record really stood out to me the first time I heard it. Like a saw cutting through freshly chopped wood.

Can't comment too much on Arckanum in general, though, having only heard the aforementioned along with 'Fran Marder' (both quite good, though).

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:22 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
I'm looking for black metal in the vein of Dimmu Borgir's 'Stormblåst' and also in the vein of this Old Man's Child track:

Some of the later-second-wave Swedish bands like Setherial or Lord Belial might be to your liking. Check out 'Nord' or 'Enter the Moonlight Gate,' the former in particular (just because it kicks much ass). I actually picked up 'Nord' and 'Hell Eternal' as a double-CD two-fer, which would be ideal for someone new to Setherial and/or that general style.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:47 pm 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
Sepulchrave wrote:
From what I've heard of ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ, nothing about the sound stood out to me in particular when I heard it, but again, I'll revisit. Much appreciated!

Interesting you say that, because the guitar tone on that record really stood out to me the first time I heard it. Like a saw cutting through freshly chopped wood.

Can't comment too much on Arckanum in general, though, having only heard the aforementioned along with 'Fran Marder' (both quite good, though).

I like it actually but it doesn't sound like Det som engang var at all compared to Fran Marder and Kostogher to me. Nowhere near as moaning and solemn.

Oh yeah, YouPeopleArePoison, and I checked out Aeternus and their sophomore is *kisses fingers*. Can't say the same for Darkwoods My Betrothed though, too much cheesy synth and rather deflated guitars.

I forgot about the whole Hellenic black metal thing. I've neglected most of it unfortunately and I only paid full attention to Thy Mighty Contract, which I liked, but yeah I have some work to do there. In particular, with Zemial, who are Bathory-inspired, so I'm expecting some BFD-isms (which fit the sound, as said in my original post, too).

Will check Raven Dark.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:37 pm 

Hey there, can anyone suggest me something in the vein of Anaal Nathrakh? Extremely savage industrial black metal (w/ deathgrind, noise elements etc.) but then all of a sudden goes into power/heavy metal territory with epic operatic choruses?

More precisely, filthy extreme metal with a hint of classic metal to make things a bit more memorable. Also please refrain from suggesting melodeath bands like Scar Symmetry. Also

Thanks in advance!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:42 am 

IamDBR wrote:
Hey there, can anyone suggest me something in the vein of Anaal Nathrakh? Extremely savage industrial black metal (w/ deathgrind, noise elements etc.) but then all of a sudden goes into power/heavy metal territory with epic operatic choruses?

More precisely, filthy extreme metal with a hint of classic metal to make things a bit more memorable. Also please refrain from suggesting melodeath bands like Scar Symmetry. Also

Thanks in advance!

Rage Nucléaire? You won't find operatic choruses, but these guys have a flair for epic, somewhat traditionally influenced riffing, besides being quite savage on the surface.

redlakitu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:57 am 

Slowly getting into this kind of extreme music here, can someone recommend me any black metal bands with as much thrash influence as possible? You can start with something well known since I don't really have any kind of experience or knowledge in this area.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:34 am 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Some of the later-second-wave Swedish bands like Setherial or Lord Belial might be to your liking. Check out 'Nord' or 'Enter the Moonlight Gate,' the former in particular (just because it kicks much ass). I actually picked up 'Nord' and 'Hell Eternal' as a double-CD two-fer, which would be ideal for someone new to Setherial and/or that general style.

I, of course, know them. The funny thing is, they sound nothing alike the recommendation I am asking for. Haha.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:31 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Rage Nucléaire? You won't find operatic choruses, but these guys have a flair for epic, somewhat traditionally influenced riffing, besides being quite savage on the surface.

Awesome recommendation, thanks. Also fucking Lord Worm on vocals wtf? Thanks again!

Also which album to start with; UFH or BSoV?

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:29 pm 

redlakitu wrote:
Slowly getting into this kind of extreme music here, can someone recommend me any black metal bands with as much thrash influence as possible? You can start with something well known since I don't really have any kind of experience or knowledge in this area.

if you're not experienced in this genre yet, I feel you should start with the good old classics. try in the sign of evil by sodom, hellhammer and celtic frost up to into the pandemonium and of course the first three or four bathory albums. early venom albums too of course.
if you want a really good black/thrash hybrid from the 90's, try aggressor by nocturnal breed. then there's always the australian school with bands like spear of longinus, vomitor, gospel of the horns and related bands. I think these are good starting points.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Von Cichlid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:31 pm 

redlakitu wrote:

An excellent gateway album with plenty of thrash influence would be Immortal's Damned in Black. It is a whole lot better than the 74% rating in the reviews section suggests. This is not really a black metal band but you might try Witchery's Restless and Dead also, rightfully considered a classic. Both of these albums were instrumental in finally getting me into black metal at the turn of the century.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:19 pm 

Calling Metantoine or any other MNQ addicts. Have you guys listened to Neige et Noirceur's new album and have any strong opinions on it?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:41 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Calling Metantoine or any other MNQ addicts. Have you guys listened to Neige et Noirceur's new album and have any strong opinions on it?

Of course I have! I did a review back in May as part of a trilogy with the new Forteresse and Cantique Lépreux. Wily, you really should come to the next Messe des Morts!
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/N ... s/580295/I

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:46 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Wilytank wrote:

Of course I have! I did a review back in May as part of a trilogy with the new Forteresse and Cantique Lépreux. Wily, you really should come to the next Messe des Morts!
http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/N ... s/580295/I

That event is actually far enough in advance that I might actually make plans.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:50 am 

redlakitu wrote:

Here's some nice thrashy black metal gems:

redlakitu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:24 am 

Superb recommendations everyone so far, thank you!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:18 pm 

redlakitu wrote:
Superb recommendations everyone so far, thank you!
Marduk's entire discography probably should have been mentioned, just seemed to obvious to remember. Taran is another one of my favorite obscure bands, they broke up for like 10 years and then made a new crushing album, hopefully they keep it up.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:06 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
redlakitu wrote:

Here's some nice thrashy black metal gems:

Another classic black/thrash band is Melechesh. Sphynx is super catchy and awesome. They're also more melodic black metal like Watain or Rotting Christ, so a bit more accessible.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:45 am 

So Canadian black metal is having an awesome year even outside Quebec. I just came across Thrawsunblat and already their new album is a contender for best this year so far.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Th ... nia/576065

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:47 am 

Looking for some obscure black/doom, something to listen while in bed, hoping to fall asleep and/or have a nightmare.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:09 am 

omnishadow wrote:
Looking for some obscure black/doom, something to listen while in bed, hoping to fall asleep and/or have a nightmare.

The opener to Witchrist's Beheaded Ouroboros album, "Sorcerer of Lightning", is very nightmarish and the doomiest this album gets. Best track on this album.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:23 am 

omnishadow wrote:

Try early Barathrum.

Warlord Wossman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:40 am 

omnishadow wrote:

Maybe Elysian Blaze? Even if that is more black/funeral doom.

Aszfargoth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:55 am 

Unity wrote:
omnishadow wrote:

Try early Barathrum.

Yes, by all means give the "Hailstorm", "Eerie" and "Infernal" albums a try; each is an immersive, off-kilter record. Although often more mid- than slow-paced, earlier Barathrum are classic doom metal riff-wise (seen through a 2nd wave black metal lense). Have a listen:

Less idiosyncratic, yet very good, and more influenced by extreme forms of doom metal are Nihilobstat:

Most of all, Nihilobstat's music has a grinding and crushing quality, as is associated with extreme doom metal, which Barathrum lacks completely, in my opinion.

And I feel obliged to recommend Ysengrin, rarely plodding in tempo, for the sheer sake of mood and atmosphere they create:

Edit: On the topic of both falling asleep and having nightmares, there's also Abruptum (their 90's incarnation at least):

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167 ... 231  Next