Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:45 am 

truefail wrote:
Hello, guys. I'm looking for some black metal stuff. With hard clear (and probably melodic) sound, something like:
Mayhem "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" (very atmospheric).
Watain "Sworn to the Dark" (very greasy).
Behemoth "The Satanist" (may be).
Immortal "Pure Holocaust" (not so melodic, but also very good).

So, clear sound is the main feature for me. But another mentioned qualities are good too.
I will be very glad to see some examples of it :)

Something a little less well known which is of that stripe is "The Priest of Satan" by The Black. Not super obscure for BManiacs. Sounds about equidistant from early Darkthrone, Mayhem, and Emperor.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:19 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Something a little less well known which is of that stripe is "The Priest of Satan" by The Black. Not super obscure for BManiacs. Sounds about equidistant from early Darkthrone, Mayhem, and Emperor.

I remember listening to that album so many years ago, they came out with another one in 2008 and disappeared again I guess.

Metal81 wrote:
General rec here. I just received the new Gratzug/Infamous split in the post and it is really good!

Infamous is really cool, I need to listen to more of his stuff. Been meaning to delete a lot of stuff from my player that I hear too often and put some new (and old) stuff back on for a change.

AlmightyHades
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:42 am 

I'm looking for "Lovesongs" in black metal, like Nymphetamine or Seven Tears Are Flowing To The River.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:04 am 

Folks. Listen to this new Dutch gem.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:03 pm 

AlmightyHades wrote:
I'm looking for "Lovesongs" in black metal, like Nymphetamine or Seven Tears Are Flowing To The River.

Impaled Nazarene's "Blood Is Thicker Than Water", Dimmu Borgir's "A Succubus In Rapture", and a bunch of songs by Ancient.

Metal81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:22 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:

Metal81 wrote:
General rec here. I just received the new Gratzug/Infamous split in the post and it is really good!

Infamous is really cool, I need to listen to more of his stuff. Been meaning to delete a lot of stuff from my player that I hear too often and put some new (and old) stuff back on for a change.

His stuff is really good. I've just gotten into it recently, but am really it so far. The debut is awesome, and Tempesta is quite good too. This new stuff may be my favorite so far, which bodes well considering he pumps out a lot of music.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:29 pm 

Looking for some faster type of depressive black metal like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqBnErcwCDc

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:51 pm 

Southern Freeze wrote:

I know of this track by Shining.

Also, one of Forgotten Tomb's best songs:

The entirely of Silencer's album is also fast-paced.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:22 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Southern Freeze wrote:

I know of this track by Shining.

Also, one of Forgotten Tomb's best songs:

The entirely of Silencer's album is also fast-paced.

Already know of these songs and Silencer but thanks anyway.

twistedknife
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:41 pm 

Looking for black metal with decent production (no lo-fi) and distinctive riffs.

Some bands I like are Dissection, Marduk, Rotting Christ, and Mayhem.

Also, given this request, what Gorgoroth albums would you recommend?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:50 pm 

twistedknife wrote:
Looking for black metal with decent production (no lo-fi) and distinctive riffs.

Antichrist, definitely.

Your other request is a little too broad, though. The bands you mentioned are quite different from each other, so it's hard to pinpoint what you really liked about them. The terms you specified are highly subjective. Just keep digging into the classic bands in the scenes you've enjoyed so far.

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:54 pm 

twistedknife wrote:

You might like newer Immortal. Check out their album 'All Shall Fall'.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:17 pm 

Hi all,

Please recommend me something in the vein of this:

This (which sounds very different from usual Ildjarn):

or this:

pp3088
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:46 pm 

Southern Freeze wrote:

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:16 pm 

New rule for the help threads: you can't just post videos and say you want "things like this". You have to describe what you want with words or you get no recs, EVER!

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:29 pm 

pp3088 wrote:
Southern Freeze wrote:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=b21saoBlP_M[/youtube]

Thanks man! I'll be into them after work.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:51 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
New rule for the help threads: you can't just post videos and say you want "things like this". You have to describe what you want with words or you get no recs, EVER!

I was not under the impression that I did something wrong. I merely asked for requests and added videos as I find it hard to pinpoint what it sounds like in words.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:56 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:

I was not under the impression that I did something wrong. I merely asked for requests and added videos as I find it hard to pinpoint what it sounds like in words.

Yeah not sure what the big deal is, makes it a bit easier, especially for people who find it hard to describe what they're looking for in words.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:53 am 

I just heard the new Ancst album, it turned out quite well. A recommendation for everyone who likes bands such as young and in the way and iskra.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:18 am 

Southern Freeze wrote:
Yeah not sure what the big deal is, makes it a bit easier, especially for people who find it hard to describe what they're looking for in words.

Exactly this. Well, I hope people want to recommend me stuff, even though I used Youtube videos as an example.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:37 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Southern Freeze wrote:

Exactly this. Well, I hope people want to recommend me stuff, even though I used Youtube videos as an example.

I think it's because it's ambiguous sometimes what aspect of the song you like (e.g. if someone links "Raining Blood," they could want something that has a breakdown like the song, they could want a slower but evil sounding thrash song, or they could want a song that ends with a dueling solo freakout--it's a bit ambiguous).

The second song you linked reminded me of the Nychts and Mortualia collaboration (which is filled with melodic but mysterious sounding riffs and has sound effects and MIDI-sounding orchestral segments sprinkled throughout, like the track you linked):

You'll have to get past the funny-sounding vocals though :-P.

Von Cichlid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:20 am 

twistedknife wrote:

If it is distinctive quality riffing your looking for you can't go wrong with some of these early Swedish gems:

Sacramentum's Far Away from the Sun and Sorhin's I det glimrande mörkrets djup.

Lebreb Osoiciv
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:55 am 

Hello, I'm looking for some bands, albums or even songs that have a similar vibe/feeling to Mayhem's Chimera. I think it's not the conventional way of making Black Metal and I really like those progressive parts the album has, the mid-paced riffs, it sounds evil without the need to be very fast or to have a "bad" production. I wish I could explain it better... I hope those who have listened to the album can get an idea of what I'm trying to explain.
Anyway, even if they don't have the characteristics I mentioned, I'll be happy to listen to whatever you think sounds similar to Chimera!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:13 am 

Von Cichlid wrote:
twistedknife wrote:

If it is distinctive quality riffing your looking for you can't go wrong with some of these early Swedish gems:

Sacramentum's Far Away from the Sun and Sorhin's I det glimrande mörkrets djup.
Sorhin was awesome, don't forget Thy Primordial, still one of my favorite Swedish BM bands.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:52 pm 

Please recommend me something in the vein of Ildjarn's 'Eksistensens Jeger', which deviates from the known Ildjarn sound. Icy, melodic, look it up! It sounds like 'Nidhogg''s artwork looks like

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:03 pm 

so that new kawir album is a great one, somewhere in between macabre omen and kroda.

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:47 pm 

Xenophon wrote:
I think it's because it's ambiguous sometimes what aspect of the song you like (e.g. if someone links "Raining Blood," they could want something that has a breakdown like the song, they could want a slower but evil sounding thrash song, or they could want a song that ends with a dueling solo freakout--it's a bit ambiguous).

The second song you linked reminded me of the Nychts and Mortualia collaboration (which is filled with melodic but mysterious sounding riffs and has sound effects and MIDI-sounding orchestral segments sprinkled throughout, like the track you linked):

You'll have to get past the funny-sounding vocals though :-P.

Oh whoops, I meant to say this was like that first song, not the Ildjarn one. My bad.

Von Cichlid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:52 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Please recommend me something in the vein of Ildjarn's 'Eksistensens Jeger', which deviates from the known Ildjarn sound. Icy, melodic, look it up! It sounds like 'Nidhogg''s artwork looks like

Closest thing I can think of is Sort Vokter, a project with him as a member. I'll wager you already know about that though.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:35 pm 

Recs for raw melodic black metal?

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:34 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
Recs for raw melodic black metal?

Raw and melodic is a little unusual, but I think I have some good ones.

Marduk's 2nd and 3rd albums "Those of the Unlight" and "Opus Nocturne" are pretty much exactly raw and melodic
Blodsrit's first 4 albums, but I'd suggest "Helveteshymner" and then either the one before it or after it
Sarkrista is another great example
A lot of stuff from Finland like Sargeist and Azaghal seem like pretty obvious ones.
Anything by Caverne / Necropole
Anything from Pagan Hellfire

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:38 pm 

So one thing that has always interested me about the second wave of black metal was the style of guitar sound and production. More specifically, the deep, sharp-sounding tone that early Samael and especially Bathory's Blood Fire Death used. I found the way these second wave bands implement it into their songs with a sense of melody amazing. It's rather difficult to describe. The prime example of this sound would be Det som engang var, the album. Other examples are Gorgoroth's first two, Nargaroth's Herbstleyd, Hades' Alone Walkyng demo, Darkthrone's "Quintessence" and other such songs on Panzerfaust, and, to some extent, Moonblood's Blut und Krieg, Burzum's Hvis lyset tar oss, and Dissection's The Somberlain. Basically, a fairly clear, organic, non-harsh sound with a moderate emphasis on bass and an "off" tune (an example of an "on" tune with a similar guitar sound would be Hades' ...Again Shall Be, as opposed to DSEV).

I'm looking for more BM bands and albums that have that guitar sound, tune and production, as it is much more common to find things with a style akin to Marduk, later Mayhem, or Abigor than Hades' Alone Walkyng.

Hope you guys understand what I'm getting at :oh shit:

YouPeopleArePoison
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:27 am 

Greetings everyone.

I am looking for:

1) epic raw BM along the lines of early-mid Graveland ("Carpathian Wolves" through to "Following the Voice of Blood"), Eternum, Blood Stronghold, Intolerant's "Snow Stained with the Blood of Traitors" and Mortum's "Ascending Calamity". Synths are welcome as long as they're used sparingly and for a purpose [read: in order to add another dimension to the music];

2) epic BM in the vein of Mayhemic Truth/Morrigan, Moonblood/Nachtfalke and Kampfar's s/t MCD. Songs like "Bluot Era Hathu", "Staring in the Eyes of ChuChullain", "Geschmiedet im Feuer des eisernen Willens", "Forgotten Spells in the Forests Nocturnal" (the opening section), "Hail Teutonia", "Pestkrieg" and the entirety of "Wotan's Return" are more or less where it's at. So basically something with heavy Bathory influence yet with a sound of its own (Macabre Omen is another perfect example), preferably without synths and with both clean and harsh vocals;

3) raw synth-heavy (perhaps even symphonic) BM not unlike that on Osculum Infame's "Dor-nu-Fauglith", Limbonic Art's early promos, the demo trilogy of Manes or Wanderer/Wintermoon compilation;

4) something similar to mid-90s Arckanum (or later songs like "Svarti" and "Læ elr") and Panphage with the same grasp of/sense for melody, pacing, flow and dynamics;

5) upbeat (but not happy sounding), slightly folk-tinged BM as played by Order of the White Hand on "Veren Muisto" and "Victory Monument of Death" or Rundagor on longer pieces from "Stronghold of Ruin", i.e. something that conveys the joy of charging into battle rather than the joy of feasting & drinking;

6) anything bearing even remote semblance to White Medal and Mr. Proctor's other BM projects (minus Sump - can't stand punk in my BM), especially Auldfued;

7) finally, weirder/out there obscure albums akin to "Sing Thou Unholy Servants" by Wind of the Black Mountains and "Poison" by I Shalt Become (no experimental, industrial and so-called "orthodox" BM, please).

Thanks in advance.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:58 am 

Von Cichlid wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

Closest thing I can think of is Sort Vokter, a project with him as a member. I'll wager you already know about that though.

True, but it sounds nothing similar to this particular track by Ildjarn:

Von Cichlid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:31 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:

True, but it sounds nothing similar to this particular track by Ildjarn:

Nothing at all similar? OK then. You are much more discerning than me.

I listened to the track and I get the same vibes from it as I did a lot of the Sort Vokter album. The only major difference I could really see was the more pronounced drums on the Ildjarn track.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:08 pm 

so that new forteresse album is very good but is a bit too monotonous to be a top level bm album.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:25 pm 

Less monotonous than the band's other work though.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:30 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Less monotonous than the band's other work though.

Hmmm I think it's their least varied album as they really wanted a fast paced martial approach (and it worked fine) but it does get a bit monotonous.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:02 am 

It doesn't have a riff that doesn't change for five goddamn minutes.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:47 am 

but some riffs are so great they should never change!

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:04 pm 

Unfortunately none of those riffs belong to Forteresse :(

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 ... 231  Next