Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:46 am 

Thanks for the recs, guys! I like all the stuff you've linked so far, though Ancient Supremacy is probably my favorite so far if only for their clean chanted vocals (Nahash use these too, though not in the song I linked as an example). Except... it's not really mixed like that for the albums, is it? Where everything's shifted to the right side of the mix, I mean.

These bands I'm getting are great, if there's anything else like this out there please let me know. :)

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:45 pm 

Thanks to CrushedRevelation for (indirectly) introducing me to Ondskapt! Holy shit! Fucking incredible! And the vocals actually somewhat fall in line with an earlier request I made! Just blistering and cold and full of emotion.

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:08 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
So, I really like traditional second-wave styled black metal with brooding, melancholic twists. There are some great new Norwegian bands like Svikt and Kaevum, and why not Blodsgard, and I suppose Flagellant from Sweden fits the bill also. Any other excellent ones?

This probably isn't that amazing, but it's worth noting. You always give me quality recs, so I'm hoping this will show that I can bring something new and interesting to you.

Riddle of Meander.

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:23 pm 

Any bands with instrumental similar to Mystic Forest?
That is: sort of agressive but not chaotic, raw but hearable production, melodic but not symphonic, and with weird song structures?

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:15 pm 

Edward K wrote:
Thanks to CrushedRevelation for (indirectly) introducing me to Ondskapt! Holy shit! Fucking incredible! And the vocals actually somewhat fall in line with an earlier request I made! Just blistering and cold and full of emotion.

You're welcome. Great album is Dödens evangelium, with that track I linked being one of my favourites of theirs.

My collection

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:57 am 

Edward K wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
So, I really like traditional second-wave styled black metal with brooding, melancholic twists. There are some great new Norwegian bands like Svikt and Kaevum, and why not Blodsgard, and I suppose Flagellant from Sweden fits the bill also. Any other excellent ones?

This probably isn't that amazing, but it's worth noting. You always give me quality recs, so I'm hoping this will show that I can bring something new and interesting to you.

Riddle of Meander.

Thanks, I certainly haven't heard of that band before. I'll check it out. :)

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:38 pm 

Thanks again/No problem. Now if you both (along with some others) could help me find bands that have vocal styles like that of the Ondskapt song posted, that would be amazing!

For those of you who missed it, this is what I'm talking about.

Oh, and as always, no NSBM.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:13 pm 

That reminds me of Sacrilegious Impalement, although that band's vocals aren't as unhinged. There's some diversity as well - some of them are more shouty, some of them lower growly vocals. Musically, the band is very close to Ondskapt, if slightly more traditional sounding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO3Eyefadfs

The Ondskapt song features a combination of slightly soft-sounding shrieks performed in a shouty fashion. There must be something similar, but I can't really remember anything, since it's not something that would've attracted my attention much.

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:24 pm 

That band was great, but it's not really as "wild" or as you put it, "unhinged". I don't know why, but I just really connect with vocals that sound like that. I obviously really love the more traditional shrieks, but it's something about the crazy shrieks/shouts that just sound really intense. It's just hard to find vocals like that without going into DSBM territory, which is something I'm not really into because in my opinion, it's too slow and a lot of what I've heard lacks depth and rarely holds my interest.

If you think of/find something, just let me know.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:11 pm 

If you would like just really insane and powerful vocal performances, check out Vordr and Venus Star's compilation Son of Venus the Destroyer (featuring apparently unreleased demo material). Tone-wise, they're not like that Ondskapt song, but they're quite unhinged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af_Gn15d7OU
I can't find the appropriate Venus Star material on YouTube, but the vocals are even crazier than either of those.

Shatraug's vocals can be quite mad too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRGcLFE82M0

More of that in Black Stench songs, and Mortualia if I remember correctly. Most of the vocals in Sargeist songs are performed by Hoath Torog, whose technique is more restrained, as you most likely know. By the way, Vordr isn't merely Ildjarn-styled raw, straight-forward stuff. Some of their material is very atmospheric and emotive.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:50 pm 

Edward K wrote:
Thanks again/No problem. Now if you both (along with some others) could help me find bands that have vocal styles like that of the Ondskapt song posted, that would be amazing!

Here is some Abigor from the Apokalypse ep. Pretty fucking good stuff, with some wild vocals.

My collection

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:13 pm 

Most insane vocal performance I've heard without venturing on DSBM is Torturium's.
Watch out, it may hurt your ears (:

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:52 pm 

That's a lot like Myrkvidr, actually. The demo has slightly rawer sounds and the vocals are more distorted, so some of the insanity of the vocals is lost in the lack of clarity, but the overall impression is similar.

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:48 am 

I just got home from a shitty day of work to find all these recs. This is awesome.

To Ilwhyan, I knew I could count on you, dude. You always give me quality shit. I already know Venus Star, and Sargeist (I actually heard of Sargeist through you haha) and I love them both (Sargeist way more so). Black Stench was super bizarre. They reminded me of Mourner if they played black metal. Mortualia was good musically, but they vocals were just senseless yelling to me. Myrkvider was a gem though! Not exactly as "wild" and emotional, but definitely awesome raw stuff.

CrushedRevelation, I loved Abigor. Not as high pitched and emotional, but definitely awesome.

Karlabos wins it for me though. Torturium was fucking crazy.

Feel free to add more suggestions!

Some more samples:

Ondskapt
I & II

Gris
I & II

Lantlôs

Remember this is a vocal request. The bands don't have to sound like these examples musically. I just prefer them to be faster paced. And no NSBM.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:03 am 

They're a bit buried in the mix but the vocals on the Min Kniv demo might be of interest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0zN3ZThMJ8

Also Dråpsnatt for sure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsMce9JsyMU

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:40 pm 

Dråpsnatt was pretty great! I really enjoyed it. Min Kniv was just okay for me. Wasn't really catching my interest a whole lot.

Any other suggestions?

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:59 pm 

Edward K wrote:
Dråpsnatt was pretty great! I really enjoyed it. Min Kniv was just okay for me. Wasn't really catching my interest a whole lot.

Any other suggestions?

A few pages ago I rec'd Drautran to someone else, but their vocals could fall into the "unhinged" category; as I said then, one of the dudes has that ghostly Steeve Hurdle thing going, and the other sounds like he's yelling into a cave. At the very least they're pretty dynamic for black metal vox.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwbcwpkSbWc

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:38 am 

Can someone recommend me some deep, low tuned atmospheric bm bands, with lots of bass and stuff? Something like Verdunkeln, Walknut or Hate Forest?
I'd like it to be atmospheric, with long 10, 15+ minutes songs
Thx in advance.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:48 am 

You just described The Ruins of Beverast, didn't you? But of course you know that one already. Lunar Aurora's later albums also fit that definition, as does Urfaust's Der Freiwillige Bettler.

You probably mostly refer to Verdunkeln's Einblick, right? I'm pretty sure you would like Infestus' E x | I s t. It's also a German band, and it's musically somewhat similar to Verdunkeln.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:08 am 

I also think Fyrnask fit that description pretty well, and Elysian Blaze of course.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:51 am 

Thx for the recs guys, I think I'd have to add "with fast paced riffs" on my request hehe. Somehow I can't get into the slower ones, like Ruins of Beverast and Elysian Blaze for instance.
Infestus, Lunar Aurora and Urfaust were pretty good. I liked mostly Urfaust vocal style on some albums =P
And by the Fyrnask songs I heard, they're also pretty slow...

It's funny how most of those bands are german.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:01 am 

Karlabos wrote:
Thx for the recs guys, I think I'd have to add "with fast paced riffs" on my request hehe. Somehow I can't get into the slower ones, like Ruins of Beverast and Elysian Blaze for instance.
Infestus, Lunar Aurora and Urfaust were pretty good. I liked mostly Urfaust vocal style on some albums =P
And by the Fyrnask songs I heard, they're also pretty slow...

It's funny how most of those bands are german.

Hey Karlabos give Sear Bliss's 'Forsaken Symphony' a whirl, full of atmosphere with fast and mid paced parts and not German lol You might also enjoy the side band Forest Silence's debut album, mid paced so no fast parts but still a good listen.

Rauhnacht are another similar styled band, vocalist has a great rasp, check out the debut -

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Ra ... gen/288560

Also I will take a chance and say give Nagelfar a try, long atmospheric tracks, plenty of fast parts though the guitars just might not be down tuned enough, the first two albums are classics and well worth a listen.

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Na ... rbst/12368

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:08 am 

Hey, thanks. Especially for recommending Rauhnacht, I liked it. (:
Forest Silence also fits the rec, but I already knew them. Also already knew Sear Bliss hehe.

About Sear Bliss and Nagelfar, I don't think they're very down-tuned...

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:23 am 

Karlabos wrote:
Hey, thanks. Especially for recommending Rauhnacht, I liked it. (:
Forest Silence also fits the rec, but I already knew them. Also already knew Sear Bliss hehe.

About Sear Bliss and Nagelfar, I don't think they're very down-tuned...

Good stuff. The Haunting by Sear Bliss would prob be more fitting as far as the guitars go but I mentioned my favourite album which was misleading but you know them already. I have a cd at home that fits the bill to a T I think but their name escapes me at the minute, I will post it for you later mate.

Edit - Synkvervet is the band mate, check out the debut -

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Sy ... akt/366071

Last edited by STORMM on Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dragonclaw7
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:33 am 

First post here, longtime devourer of the recs in these forums though:
I'm obsessed with Ravencult - Morbid blood these days. Looking for anything similar.

Black Metal with Thrash and Punk elements but with good production/beefy guitar sound as compared to some of the thin guitar sound I've heard with Black/Punk bands. Even the vocals are just right, no shrieking. I'm aware of Kvelertak, Destroyer 666, Terrorama, Perversor which are all close to what I want. Anything else good? Thanks

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:53 pm 

dragonclaw7 wrote:
I'm obsessed with Ravencult - Morbid blood these days. Looking for anything similar.

Black Metal with Thrash and Punk elements but with good production/beefy guitar sound as compared to some of the thin guitar sound I've heard with Black/Punk bands. Even the vocals are just right, no shrieking. I'm aware of Kvelertak, Destroyer 666, Terrorama, Perversor which are all close to what I want. Anything else good? Thanks

Welcome mate.
Check out Thy Darkened Shade.

Sonic Reign's Monument in Black is a bit more Black n Roll but still has a good amount of Thrashiness

Although the guitar tone is a bit thin, Aksumite'sPrideless Lions might also interest you

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:19 pm 

dragonclaw7 wrote:

If you haven't already, get thee immediately to Spite Extreme Wing's Vltra:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QejP-e0MEv0
I can't find another upload of it, but rest assured the real thing sounds worlds better:

Here's their lyrically adjusted cover of "Devilock":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB--q0A4fS0

Damnation's Destructo Evangelia, maybe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVWqN8qb8No

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:01 am 

Maybe Skeletonwitch? A little more thrash than black I suppose, but maybe you'll dig it.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:57 am 

dragonclaw7 wrote:

Right. Straight off if you are not familiar with Nocturnal Graves, rectify this immediately.

Also going to recommend the fucking awesome Ketzer from Germany, though these guys have one foot rather firmly planted in thrash.

Staying in Germany with Cruel Force.

Again another German band simply called Old, though these guys toe the might 'Frost line.

My collection

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:01 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
dragonclaw7 wrote:

Awful quality, but give it a shot.

Hellacaust

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXgQO_Ek1WM

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:18 pm 

Does anyone know of any Finnish black metal compilations? like record labels that specialize in that sound putting out some nice samplers of stuff like Prevalent Resistance, Nattfog etc?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:04 pm 

I don't usually listen to those, I try to acquire the material separately (if it contains original material, it's a split album, right?), but check out Suomesta Saatanalle. That one is full of excellent bands like Cosmic Church, Blood Red Fog, Arvet and the elusive Valonsurma.

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:47 am 

dragonclaw7 wrote:

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:51 am 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
Does anyone know of any Finnish black metal compilations? like record labels that specialize in that sound putting out some nice samplers of stuff like Prevalent Resistance, Nattfog etc?

Hammer of Hate and Primitive Reaction did a compilation (or sampler) titled Primitive Hammer. I think it came for free if you ordered stuff, so if it's for sale it shouldn't cost much. http://www.discogs.com/Various-Primitiv ... se/1952664

Around the change of millennium there were Talvisota and Jatkosota compilations.
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Talvisot ... ase/655748
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Jatkosot ... se/2033733

From recent years there are some more obscure LP compilations like Suomesta Saatanalle.
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Suomesta ... se/1492641

All the compilations/samplers feature both good and crappy bands in tolerable and not-tolerable rate.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:26 am 

dragonclaw7 wrote:

I also love that Ravencult album, looking forward to new stuff by them. I haven't been listening to much or paying attention to the forum lately, but Nadiwrath and the new Dodsferd are very punkish, a little more than I like coming from one of my favorite bands, but give them a shot.

Also this is the album I'm looking forward to the most this year so far:

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:32 pm 

I'm looking for black metal in the vein of Forteresse, Sombre Chemin, Seigneur Voland etc. Atmospheric, melodic and well, the French/Canadian sound.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:22 pm 

ancientorder wrote:
OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:

Hammer of Hate and Primitive Reaction did a compilation (or sampler) titled Primitive Hammer. I think it came for free if you ordered stuff, so if it's for sale it shouldn't cost much. http://www.discogs.com/Various-Primitiv ... se/1952664

Around the change of millennium there were Talvisota and Jatkosota compilations.
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Talvisot ... ase/655748
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Jatkosot ... se/2033733

From recent years there are some more obscure LP compilations like Suomesta Saatanalle.
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Suomesta ... se/1492641

All the compilations/samplers feature both good and crappy bands in tolerable and not-tolerable rate.

Is there a way to listen to samples on discogs? I'm new to that site and typing these comps out on youtube has proven fruitless

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:44 am 

Maybe try finding the bands/songs themselves. On most of them it's just tracks straight taken from their albums.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:50 pm 

The songs that appear on Suomesta Saatanalle don't seem to appear anywhere else, not by the same names at least (I haven't listened to the compilation). At least the songs by Cosmic Church, Blood Red Fog, Valonsurma and Arvet seem to be unique to that compilation.

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:59 am 

That one is an exception indeed and features exclusive tracks.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 ... 231  Next