Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:53 pm 

Hey no worries, thought you might be familiar with them, but it was worth a shot.

My collection

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:02 pm 

Oh, it was. :) Order Of Orias is one of those bands I really wanted to like but there's just something about them that doesn't click.

Therizinosaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:49 am 

Can anyone help me get introduced into the Canadian black metal scene? Any genre or city will do, but I'm most interested in the Quebec scene. Thanks in advance.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:54 am 

Therizinosaur wrote:
Can anyone help me get introduced into the Canadian black metal scene? Any genre or city will do, but I'm most interested in the Quebec scene. Thanks in advance.

Metal noir Quebecois is something I haven't spent a lot of time with, although I hope to, but one band from there I really enjoy is Maléfices. Their demos have a grim, highly atmospheric, dense sound that really does it for me. Looking at their bandpage they apparently have a recent EP out too, which is exciting. I also quite like what I've heard from Sorcier des Glaces, other than that I can't be very helpful but I do emphatically recommend Maléfices.

Worthless_Dream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:04 pm 

Try the obvious awesome ones: Csejthe, Forteresse

then for some other honorable mentions: Gris, Sombres Forêts, Sorcier Des Glaces, Neige et Noirceur, Monarque

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:05 pm 

Therizinosaur wrote:

um those 2 Frozen Shadows albums were killer and they are from Quebec
(I can't actually listen right now so I just picked out 2 random songs)

Also Pagan Hellfire from Canada, this is one of the classic songs I like, but his newer stuff is a bit more complex and probably better overall

flightoficarus86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:19 pm 

THIS is pretty tasty.

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:20 pm 

Therizinosaur wrote:

The Canadian band Thantifaxath released their debut album last year. They're a really great band, though they're from Ontario and not Quebec.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Tha ... 3540326043

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:01 pm 

No! Don't listen to CardsOfWar - Thantifaxath is bad! Forteresse, Monarque, and Maléfices are all excellent. Another couple bands that haven't been mentioned are Ephemer and Frost.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:03 pm 

flightoficarus86 wrote:
THIS is pretty tasty.
Yeah, Death Karma sounds good. I'll hopefully pick up the LP sometime soon.

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:09 am 

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
No! Don't listen to CardsOfWar - Thantifaxath is bad! Forteresse, Monarque, and Maléfices are all excellent. Another couple bands that haven't been mentioned are Ephemer and Frost.

No! Do listen to CardsOfWar! Thantifaxath are great! Their music is the aural manifestation of the best Hammer Horror films. (Or something like that)

The bands you mentioned are great too though...

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:08 pm 

I originally thought I had whiffed on my purchase of Funereal Presence's "The Archer Takes Aim", but the tides are turning. I've been spinning it every day this week at work. Granted, I can't give it my full attention here but there are little tendrils jumping out from the songs that are latching onto my memory. It's a very dense record with a lot of riffs flying all over, and I was getting a bit lost in it originally. Feels like a definite grower now though.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:46 pm 

Listen to Frozen Shadows!

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:50 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:

Bloody sick recommendation mate, as usual! This hits the spot for me; ferocious, truly frozen stuff. I've been associating the Quebecois scene with the more crawling and grim stuff, I had no idea there were bands like this out there.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:45 pm 

sushiman wrote:
Sick6Six wrote:

Bloody sick recommendation mate, as usual! This hits the spot for me; ferocious, truly frozen stuff. I've been associating the Quebecois scene with the more crawling and grim stuff, I had no idea there were bands like this out there.

Yup, that is exactly how I would explain their sound, 2 fucking classic forgotten albums. Crazy that they broke up about 10 years ago now. It looks like their guitarist is in a band called Rage Nucléaire with Marduk's drummer and Lord Worm on vocals!? WTF how did I miss that?

EDIT: oh and Taran are back (after making one sick demo 10 years ago) with a new album, I skipped straight to the Immortal cover at the end... wow that ruled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKrC59OP-f4

Last edited by Sick6Six on Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:06 pm 

It's not that good though. It's basically a Anaal-lite band.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:43 pm 

The best part of Rage Nucleaire was Lord Worm appearing here and beginning every post with "Howdy."
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81984
(towards the bottom of pg 5 but the bass/keys player had already been posting for a few pages by then as well)

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:16 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
Yup, that is exactly how I would explain their sound, 2 fucking classic forgotten albums. Crazy that they broke up about 10 years ago now. It looks like their guitarist is in a band called Rage Nucléaire with Marduk's drummer and Lord Worm on vocals!? WTF how did I miss that?

EDIT: oh and Taran are back (after making one sick demo 10 years ago) with a new album, I skipped straight to the Immortal cover at the end... wow that ruled.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKrC59OP-f4

That's the guy huh - I remember all the hype around Rage Nucleaire but it did nothing for me. Nothing early Nathrakh already did better anyway.

I must say though, having read Lord Worm's posts in the forum, that the lyrics he wrote for it are really good. Very visual and really poetic.

Will check out Taran - may have been sent a promo for it but can't recall.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:47 pm 

Yeah I figured as much about Rage Nucleaire, shoulda just stuck with Frozen Shadows which was a sick band name. The Taran album seems pretty great, I listened to about 50% of it and man I wish new Immortal would sound like the cover these guys do of Unsilent Storms in the North Abyss, it sounds like they have Hellhammer on drums and just so much...heavier. Taran also did an amazing (probaby the best) cover of Under a Funeral Moon on their demo/split with Moontower.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:27 am 

Therizinosaur wrote:

Akitsa are pretty cool, i liked their first one and their others are pretty well regarded.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:24 am 

Therizinosaur wrote:

If you're into the Forteresse/Csejthe/Sorcier des Glaces/general Quebec sound you should definitely check out Ephemer as well, one of the better bands from the province that's unfortunately overshadowed by the larger names.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5lD-LvWKd0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNkZjF2m-dc

I didn't see anyone else mention it but there was a 4-band split with bands from that area last year that's great and Forteresse's entry is maybe the single best song to come out of the whole scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3fqALBQTaU

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:32 pm 

Guys, I need more stuff like this song. Black/Heavy/Thrash with extreme catchiness and a "warlike" / industiral atmosphere.
Just give this a spin and tell me what other bands come along like this exact song ;) Thanks!

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:02 pm 

Hey guys

I need to find some experimental or different bm bands with raw sound and production.
I'd also like that what is different about them stands out, like for instance
Inchiuvatu which kinda plays folk/raw black metal or
Manierisme which plays some theatric stuff or
Astral Oath where the vocals are basically made with reverb
some stuff like that... What the distinct element is doesn't matter, as long as it stands out and on all songs. Also the production must be poor and the sound raw. Quality could be bad, no need to be a good band. After all what sucks for you could be good for me.

Anyway you get the idea. Any recs on that line? =]

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:39 pm 

Anyone know of anything that's similar to those first two Aeternus albums? The similar artists page on M-A is laughably unhelpful, and last.fm is suggesting stuff like Aborym and Abigor (they all start with A!). On the off chance that you've heard something similar to this but haven't actually heard it:

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:30 pm 

Nothing you wouldn't know already, I reckon. Ragnarok from Diabolical Age till Blackdoor Miracle, Koldbrann's newer albums, and Isvind. Similar overall to So the Night Became would be Sear Bliss, especially The Haunting.

Maybe check out Epithalium. It's rawer, bleaker and without the full, heavy sound of Aeternus, but at times the riffing is similarly emotive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0iiYDOviWc

Then, I suppose Malus is somewhat similar to the synthier, dreamier parts, but there isn't as much going on in their music.

death cantata
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:21 pm 

I'm looking for bands in the same vein as Nightbringer, Ofermod, Adustum, Svartrit, Ondskapt, Mortuus, Heresi, Thy Darkened Shade, etc. Preferably more obscure bands. Any Suggestions?

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:37 pm 

Pseudogod have some parallels to Nightbringer though they do also touch on some death metal influence.

https://pseudogod.bandcamp.com/album/de ... catechesis

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:40 pm 

death cantata wrote:
I'm looking for bands in the same vein as Nightbringer, Ofermod, Adustum, Svartrit, Ondskapt, Mortuus, Heresi, Thy Darkened Shade, etc. Preferably more obscure bands. Any Suggestions?

http://daemonworship.bandcamp.com/album ... tes-abyssu

Beware, this album will make you shit yourself! :p

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:57 pm 

Haha you could have just linked him the main page from DWP or WTC.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:38 am 

:scratch: If there's something funny to be had, it went way over my head.

PureNegativism
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:44 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Anyone know of anything that's similar to those first two Aeternus albums? The similar artists page on M-A is laughably unhelpful, and last.fm is suggesting stuff like Aborym and Abigor (they all start with A!). On the off chance that you've heard something similar to this but haven't actually heard it:

I think Aeternus is a fairly unique combination of style and tonality, I think you'll have a hard time finding something similar. Those spacious major key folkish progressions are a distinctive aspect that remind me somewhat of Nagelfar
Spoiler: show

I have been craving something with the following qualities
-extremely fast
-higher pitched, shrieked vocals
with a focus on
-melodic, dynamic, 'active' riffing, harmonization. Just very well composed guitar parts I guess.

I know that's pretty vague without a point of reference but if anyone has suggestions that they think match the criteria I would be pleased to hear them.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:14 am 

death cantata wrote:

Check out Forbidden Eye and Perdition Winds. Both have an extremely dark, somewhat orthodox atmosphere, but they also write more traditional, tonally palatable black metal riffs. Numinous is an obscure band in that style, but they're piss-poor. :P

gnarlbro
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:18 am 

I feel like a total dipshit for asking for something so basic as far as black metal goes, but i have always loved the classics like Burzum and Mayhem. I've been listening to them for quite a few years now and have yet to find anything that compares to these quintessential bands. I listen to a fair amount of other black metal as well but nothing else really seems to be on the same level to me. Figure I might as well throw out some songs that i consider black metal perfection to give an idea of what im looking for

Burzum - Dunkelheit
Burzum - En Ring Til a Herske
Burzum - Dungeons of Darkness
Burzum - Belus' Dod
Burzum- Det Som En Gang Var
Mayhem - Life Eternal
Mayhem - Freezing Moon
Mayhem - Buried by Time and Dust
Mayhem - Pagan Fears

I realize that this is all painfully standard but I feel like I'm probably missing out on some classics, or newer stuff that could be considered a future staple of the genre. Feel free to mention the blatantly obvious, or something fresh off the press.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:38 am 

PureNegativism wrote:
I have been craving something with the following qualities
-extremely fast
-higher pitched, shrieked vocals
with a focus on
-melodic, dynamic, 'active' riffing, harmonization. Just very well composed guitar parts I guess.

I know that's pretty vague without a point of reference but if anyone has suggestions that they think match the criteria I would be pleased to hear them.

I'm familiar with Nagelfar and they do share some similarities when you start picking apart the elements utilized by both bands, but really they don't actually sound all that similar when I'm actually listening to them, y'know? Ah well, white whale maybe (still a couple of things from Ilwhyan's post I need to check out - for some reason I only have later Sear Bliss material and I've only ever listened to the first Koldbrann album.

Anyway, for your request: I definitely recommend Sühnopfer. Frantic pace, fairly high vocals, extremely active melodic riffing.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:22 am 

androdion wrote:
death cantata wrote:

http://daemonworship.bandcamp.com/album ... tes-abyssu

Beware, this album will make you shit yourself! :p

Good rec, that's some dark stuff. And yes, the DWP and WTC Bandcamp pages are good places to lurk for this sort of stuff in general. The album and EP by Nefandus that DWP put out are both great; been meaning to review them, and there's a few promos from the label I am meaning to get around to as well.

As for WTC try Valkyrja whose latest is very ferocious but with some mean melody in there. Have been meaning to get that new Devathorn too, I liked the split with Blaze of Perdition.

Agonia has Acrimonious who are associated with Acherontas and a few of the bands death cantata mentioned. They have their 3 dollar digital album promo on again at the moment so it won't cost you a lot to try it out. While you're there get Temple of Baal's latest, if you like the idea of Nightbringer/ Ofermod stuff done with more death and thrash influence. Pseudogod aren't really up to much as far as I'm concerned but Temple of Baal do it right.

Also, Abusiveness from Poland are killer:

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:16 pm 

Someone please tell me that WTC stands for something other than Waking the Cadaver.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:36 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
death cantata wrote:

Check out Forbidden Eye and Perdition Winds. Both have an extremely dark, somewhat orthodox atmosphere, but they also write more traditional, tonally palatable black metal riffs. Numinous is an obscure band in that style, but they're piss-poor. :P

The Forbidden Eye split was really good aside from the unfortunate "artwork" That's the same guy from Unhuman Disease, Rituals of a Blasphemer and a couple other bands. All really good, but quite raw/basic for the most part.

Also Abusiveness sounds amazing, I have been meaning to check them out since you told me about them just haven't been listening to much music lately aside from when I'm driving to and from work. This thread also got me on a Dissection kick when someone was looking for similar bands. It's been so many years, but Storm of the Light's Bane is still so fucking perfect.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:53 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Someone please tell me that WTC stands for something other than Waking the Cadaver.

World Terror Committee.

Sick6Six: I've only listened to the album. It's very simplistic and predictable for the most part, but at times, it's also incredibly effective. Based on one listen, that is.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:50 pm 

Wilytank wrote:

:scratch: If there's something funny to be had, it went way over my head.

I just thought it was funny that he singled out one band when there are whole labels devoted to that type of black metal.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:38 pm 

^
That's because it was the only one I knew that fit the rec! :p

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144 ... 231  Next