* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
PromeIncarn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:17 am 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
What was that now?

Either one side is fabricating, or Quorthon himself is a liar.

"I think it is very easy for people to be making that kind of connotation, simply because those two acts in particular are perhaps among the first ones that comes to mind when the roots of extreme metal is being discussed. But actually, I have never owned a Venom or Slayer album. And I don't give a fuck if people believe that or not."

Source: http://www.anus.com/metal/about/interviews/quorthon/

TheEvilSocky
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:27 am 

Everyone else KNOW's Quorthon fucked around in his interviews, I mean shit the guy no doubt was making fun of the idiots that felt the need to ask "So did Venom influence you at all?" when his first album had a similar cover, song titles, and lyrics.
There are several places where Quorthon slips up and admits to hearing of Venom (and even tip-toeing around their album art) before the release of the first album.
Just check the first link I posted, it has a site with sources of all the weird conflicting shit Quorthon said.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:22 am 

TheEvilSocky wrote:
Everyone else KNOW's Quorthon fucked around in his interviews, I mean shit the guy no doubt was making fun of the idiots that felt the need to ask "So did Venom influence you at all?" when his first album had a similar cover, song titles, and lyrics.
There are several places where Quorthon slips up and admits to hearing of Venom (and even tip-toeing around their album art) before the release of the first album.
Just check the first link I posted, it has a site with sources of all the weird conflicting shit Quorthon said.

True, personally and like so many others I never once believed that statement Quorthon made and no matter how much I respect him musically he was known also for being a bit of a dick sometimes in interviews, im sure it was easy for him to make up bullshit like that and keep a straight face.

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:29 pm 

is there any black metal artists who aren't dicks in there interviews?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:04 pm 

bloodycumshit wrote:

Yes there are, that's a pointless "observation".

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:24 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
bloodycumshit wrote:

no shit,i was just pointing out that there seem to be allot of interviews with black metal artist where they are douche bags or talk allot of bullshit.

bodomlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:15 am 

Can anyone recommend a band that has a similar style of later era Deathspell Omega and/or Blut Aus Nord, also can anyone tell me of any bands that are like Primordial?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:15 am 

bodomlord: Try Myrkr. It's dissonant, relentless and has dark atmosphere. Antaeus is more traditional sounding (Beherit influence, to my ears), but recalls the cold, furious riffing of BAN's more violent moments. BAN and DSO are surprisingly unique in their respective crappy styles, so finding something completely similar is going to be difficult.

bloodycumshit wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:

no shit,i was just pointing out that there seem to be allot of interviews with black metal artist where they are douche bags or talk allot of bullshit.

Sooner or later, you will either cut the cocky attitude, or unavoidably get banned. In maybe six months I'll remove you from my ignore list to see if there has been improvement.

primitivevoid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:27 pm 

to the guy looking for dso / ban like bands, check out funeral mist's salvation, or maybe Dodecahedron

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:39 pm 

you could also try Svartidaudi - Flesh Cathedral http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrEtodj0Fxg
or Ascension - With Burning Tongue's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZDLjOpSypc

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:44 pm 

I realize this is an oddly specific request but

I'm looking for something that sounds similar to Taake's last album Noregs Vaapen or Sargeist's Let The Devil In. Traditional yet warm sounding black metal but use feedback almost in a Kvelertak way to build tension in songs.

I'm also looking for something similar to Midnight's Satanic Royalty. So the same feedback rules from the first request apply but in a blackened speed metal context.
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:49 pm 

MGSX666 wrote:
I realize this is an oddly specific request but

I'm looking for something that sounds similar to Taake's last album Noregs Vaapen or Sargeist's Let The Devil In. Traditional yet warm sounding black metal but use feedback almost in a Kvelertak way to build tension in songs.

I'm also looking for something similar to Midnight's Satanic Royalty. So the same feedback rules from the first request apply but in a blackened speed metal context.

LUTOMYSL
Arckanum
Faagrim
Folkvang
Zwartplaag

You will enjoy all these bands if you like Taake and Sargeist

Ceald Hraew
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:37 pm 

Hello. I’d like to find out some bands of three Black Metal subsubgenres: outright Burzum clones (like Dunkelheit, but not like Xasthur); “artsy” Black Metal (like Austere and Woods of Desolation) and “folkish” Black Metal (like Falls of Rauros).

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:29 pm 

So, I've been completely addicted to Mgla's "With Hearts Towards None". I love that even though the riffs and melodies are simple and catchy the album still sounds ominous and unrelenting.

Anything of a similar nature?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:35 pm 

A friend (IX Leviathan) told me to check Lutomysl this week, you'll like them.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/%D0 ... 0%BB/22952

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:30 am 

does anyone know any black metal like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfJPLglmFuQ

thanks in advance for any help

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:12 pm 

bodomlord wrote:
Can anyone recommend a band that has a similar style of later era Deathspell Omega and/or Blut Aus Nord, also can anyone tell me of any bands that are like Primordial?

Check these out for DSO and BAN type bands

Reverence - The Asthenic Ascension

Dead Shell Of Universe - Tamo Gde Pupoljak Vene...Tamo Je Moje Seme

Way to End - Desecrated Internal Journey

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:20 pm 

Hybrid_Killer wrote:
So, I've been completely addicted to Mgla's "With Hearts Towards None". I love that even though the riffs and melodies are simple and catchy the album still sounds ominous and unrelenting.

I did the same thing with all of mgla's releases. Definitely one of my favorite bands of late. I think he has the best vocals in black metal, where normally vocals don't matter much... his sound like pure seething hatred and really add a lot to the music

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:33 pm 

Hybrid_Killer wrote:

Really dumbfounded as to why this has gotten so much attention. A slew of bands have done this style similarly before and did it better.

Celestia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpa31Z-hW30

Nyktalgia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyU1mzRYUvw

Agalloch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiIVluxcXNs

Ash Borer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C74fv0vQ0tk

Fell Voices
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx7ndJDoPrM

Sargiest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcPX_2zxb24

Peste Noire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S_Jk3RNxfs

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:47 pm 

WHTN I and III are really the only crucial songs on that album.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:48 pm 

FleshMonolith, your recommendations have little in common other than being either black metal in a melodic style or simply partially rooted in it. Agalloch and Pester Noire, really?

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:27 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
FleshMonolith, your recommendations have little in common other than being either black metal in a melodic style or simply partially rooted in it. Agalloch and Pester Noire, really?

Really!? Sorry chief, I'll file an appeal with my supervisor. And I'm sorry to say, but you saying my recommendations have "little in common other than being either black metal in a melodic style..." is exactly what I think he'd be looking for- melodic black metal.

That Agalloch track has a similar production and catchy melodic riffs that are simple too boot. Peste Noire's a bit out there, but who would ask for something that sound identical to the band they're referencing.

I also think Deafheaven is worth mentioning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S08Af4fqso

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:16 pm 

Are you unable to take criticism without witty retorts? It's quite obvious some of your recommendations are only tangentially similar. Well, good if Hybrid_Killer finds something to his liking, that's the principal idea I suppose.

I'm only saying this because of many instances of having been recommended several bands with rather little in common with each other, the recommender assuming that anything liked by them is definitely enjoyable to the requester.

Sargeist is a good recommendation for something similar to Mgla, although earlier Sargeist is a lot colder and rawer black metal, and their melodies more emotive (as opposed to Mgla's introspective, less melancholy sound). Ash Borer has some tremolo riffs similar to Mgla's style, so it's also a decent rec. Their overall style is quite different though, but people who enjoy one are likely to enjoy the other aswell. While I haven't heard Fell Voices (and have no interest in doing so), if they're as similar to Ash Borer as claimed by some, it's probably a good rec aswell. However, Peste Noire's wrathful raw style is quite different from Mgla's introspective, atmospheric black metal. Agalloch has moments reminiscent of Mgla, but the majority of it is folky elevator music, whereas Mgla aims for grandiosity through melody. Nyktalgia is cool and has some melodic riffs like Mgla, but they're not quite as fast paced. Not a bad rec, necessarily.

I'd recommend Baptism as similarly natured as Mgla. Baptism is more focused and the riffs more melancholy, but the aesthetic is similar. Baptism is less about tremolo guitar leads and more about melodic (early) Gorgoroth-styled riffs though. Sargeist is similar, but guitar lead oriented. Belenos (mainly Spicilège) has the grandiosity and the occasional more triumphant riff of Mgla in a somewhat pagan/folk spirited black metal style. Fast-paced and more intense than stuff like Nyktalgia, with similar melodic feel but more fist pumping. If you like Belenos, also try Bornholm. Arckanum's post-reactivation material also has many similarities with a couple of songs from With Hearts Toward None. Especially ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ, as well as the song Læ Elr.

Check out Craft's song Void, you'll like that.

If you like Deafheaven, try Mutilation Rites?

bodomlord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:44 am 

I need some epic black metal that has a sort of Immortal or Carach Angren feel. I mainly like long songs with various rhythm changes, (Immortal's Withstand the Fall of Time as a reference) and the atmosphere that Carach Angren creates in songs from Where The Corpses Sink Forever.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:34 am 

bodomlord wrote:
I need some epic black metal that has a sort of Immortal or Carach Angren feel. I mainly like long songs with various rhythm changes, (Immortal's Withstand the Fall of Time as a reference) and the atmosphere that Carach Angren creates in songs from Where The Corpses Sink Forever.

Dimmu Borgir's Stormblåst is probably familiar to you, but that's quite exactly according to your request. Try Kvist - For Kunsten Maa Vi Evig Vike, although I'm not sure if the rhythm changes are in abundance enough there. You could also try Gehenna's First Spell.

I'm not too familiar with Carach Angren, I've been hesitant to check it out because of some of the backlash to the hype. Anyhow, from what I've noticed the same mouths who now praise Carach Angren have a history of really liking Obtained Enslavement, so you could give that a go. Dark Fortress is also supposedly similar to Carach Angren.

Hybrid_Killer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:11 am 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Really dumbfounded as to why this has gotten so much attention. A slew of bands have done this style similarly before and did it better.

Thanks for the recs.

As yet though I haven't found a band that hits the spot like Mgla does with their catchy riffs and melodies to build a rather (as Ilwhyan said) "grandiose" sound.

I'm already a big fan of Sargeist and Nyktalgia but Ash Borer sounds like something I'd like. Unfortunately, none of the others on your list hit the same spot WHTN does.

Agalloch and Peste Noir have never done much for me.

Ilwhyan wrote:
I'm only saying this because of many instances of having been recommended several bands with rather little in common with each other, the recommender assuming that anything liked by them is definitely enjoyable to the requester.

I always appreciate people recommending stuff to me but to a great extent ^this.

Baptism's stuff, Kvist and Arckanum's ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ are great and quite similar to what I'm looking for! I'll definitely check out the other bands you described.

Although not necessarily hugely similar, in case it helps, another BM band that I quite enjoy the riffage and atmosphere of is Inquisition.

Thanks, all.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:36 am 

bodomlord wrote:

Drakhian (side project of one of Griffar's members) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbDein0EbIQ This song owns

vengefulgoat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:44 am 

bodomlord wrote:

Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:48 am 

Hybrid_Killer wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
Arckanum's ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ are great and quite similar to what I'm looking for!

Completely forgot about them. While I think ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ 's the best, Antikosmos is also worth checking out.

If that's your jam maybe Camulos? A bit more...riff dominated? But might do the trick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9QAqe2b7Oo

Chrome Waves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdxv72c8qWQ

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:04 am 

Anybody here into Misantropical Painforest? I'm sure most of you, if you've even heard of him, have avoided this band like the plague based on the piss-take name. I'm telling you right now...stop it. I just had my first listen to the second album, Firm Grip of the Roots and it's really powerful.

Very raw and personal, but the musical style and compositions are inspired just as much by epic heavy metal and doom as black metal. Still, it doesn't really have that "hybrid" feel because the spirit of the thing is undeniably black as pitch. Just a super talented one-man band with impeccable riffing.

One of the initial stand outs for me was this track, a little love ditty to Satan:
(You Are the) Brightest Star

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:44 am 

FleshMonolith wrote:

Completely forgot about them. While I think ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ 's the best, Antikosmos is also worth checking out.

Arckanum's new album (Helvítismyrkr) is really good IMO, much better than Sviga Læ

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:23 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Anybody here into Misantropical Painforest? I'm sure most of you, if you've even heard of him, have avoided this band like the plague based on the piss-take name. I'm telling you right now...stop it. I just had my first listen to the second album, Firm Grip of the Roots and it's really powerful.

Very raw and personal, but the musical style and compositions are inspired just as much by epic heavy metal and doom as black metal. Still, it doesn't really have that "hybrid" feel because the spirit of the thing is undeniably black as pitch. Just a super talented one-man band with impeccable riffing.

One of the initial stand outs for me was this track, a little love ditty to Satan:
(You Are the) Brightest Star

First album had its moments, but was a bit too haphazard. I didn't know that project was still around, I'll have to check this out...thanks for the reminder

Your description reminds me of Furze, a band I really like and think as quite unique.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:37 pm 

I can safely say that as much as I dig MP they're (he's) no comparison for Furze. At least, the newest interpretation of Furze. Reaper Subconscious Guide is one of the coolest fucking things I've ever heard. I don't have Psych Minus Space Control yet but I'm ordering it as soon as I get some xmas funds.

I haven't heard the debut in years so I can't really remember any details, but I've read other fans say that this new release is a lot more focused.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:51 pm 

Hybrid_Killer wrote:

Hey Hybrid_Killer have you ever checked out Aldaaron? They released their second album this year but still sadly very overlooked and I believe might interest you. Some fantastic melodic riffs, yet still very cold and aggressive. The first album is still prob my favourite but here is a track from their recent album for you to try, hope you enjoy.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iT3ySy0sRt4

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:58 pm 

I'm looking for electronic similar to Beherit's Electric Doom Synthesis. I've been looking for similar music ever since I discovered the album a while ago. I've never heard anything comparable to this album.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I can safely say that as much as I dig MP they're (he's) no comparison for Furze. At least, the newest interpretation of Furze. Reaper Subconscious Guide is one of the coolest fucking things I've ever heard. I don't have Psych Minus Space Control yet but I'm ordering it as soon as I get some xmas funds.

I haven't heard the debut in years so I can't really remember any details, but I've read other fans say that this new release is a lot more focused.

With you on this, although I think UTD is my favorite- the right mix of bm and Sabbath. Hate that he didn't do vocals for that really trippy album. He's a breath of fresh air in the BM community as he's like GISM or something, doesn't take himself seriously and has some of the funniest and oddest interviews. The first two albums weren't all that good, the 1st's production is some of the worst I've heard.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:43 pm 

I'm looking for good melodic black metal. I'm not too familiar with the genre so I can't give an particular example of what I want.

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:17 pm 

STORMM wrote:
Hey Hybrid_Killer have you ever checked out Aldaaron? They released their second album this year but still sadly very overlooked and I believe might interest you. Some fantastic melodic riffs, yet still very cold and aggressive. The first album is still prob my favourite but here is a track from their recent album for you to try, hope you enjoy.

Wow, this is pretty impressive stuff. Thanks for sharing even though the post wasn't directed towards me haha.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:56 am 

NuclearCreation91 wrote:
STORMM wrote:

Wow, this is pretty impressive stuff. Thanks for sharing even though the post wasn't directed towards me haha.

Haha, glad you liked them man!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:59 am 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
I'm looking for good melodic black metal. I'm not too familiar with the genre so I can't give an particular example of what I want.

Cryptic Wintermoon are a pretty good entry level band to check out, plenty of nice meloides and good use of keyboards, try them to see what you think -

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r_etVTbZ9i ... re=related

Also check out my link above for Aldaaron, morr aggressive with less keyboards.

Catamenia would be one of the more popular bands in the genre, plenty of great albums under their belts -

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=rela ... vM6scP70Yo

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 231  Next