Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:25 pm 

Then check out the latest as soon as possible, it's their best.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:00 pm 

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
UnholyAnalDeathWorship wrote:
A friend recently turned me onto Svartidaudi, Sinmara, and Malthusian.. any bands similar to these? Please and thank you. :)

Misthyrming's debut is pretty good and along a similar vein. You'll probably dig stuff like Thantifaxath and the newest Nightbringer too, if you haven't given any of these a shot.

Carpe Noctem, Carpe Noctem, Carpe Noctem... :hyper:

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:06 pm 

I want BM that has:

Lots of upbeat, uplifting (epic) tremolo picking riffs
Clean, yet gritty production
Drums that don't sound stagnated, instead, have a good flow
No symphonic elements, not of any kind

Thanks in advance

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:56 am 

I don't really understand the second and third criteria. Could you elaborate, maybe with some example?

Does Sargeist's Let the Devil In come close to what you're looking for?

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:31 pm 

Sure, I want production that sounds clean but not too polished. And by the drums I mean I'm looking for a drumming that has constant tempo changes, fast blast beats and fillers, not a monotonous, boring drumming.

Catamenia would be an example, save for the overproduced sound

UnholyAnalDeathWorship
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:37 am 

I've only listened to a few Abigor releases so I'm not too keen if any of the albums I haven't heard are like this (from what I remember they aren't), but are there any other really dissonant/spastic/bizarre black metal albums like Time Is The Sulphur... from Abigor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrU0pi4Wq0c

I know of bands like Deathspell Omega, Ulcerate, Gorguts, and Dodecahedron but I'm looking for specifically black metal artists with this type of psychedelic spastic sound. Any out there like that?

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:28 am 

Yeah, there are a decent number of bands following the sort of sound pioneered by DsO (mainly). Recent ones include lots of the current orthodox black metal wave (basically anything with a release on Daemon Worship and World Terror Committee). Then there's also the burgeoning Icelandic scene which takes influence from that sort of psychedelic, dissonant school of black metal. Thantifaxath is another band in a similar vein. Maybe Imperial Triumphant as well? Not my favorite type of black metal, but it's practically impossible to avoid nowadays. Maybe Jute Gyte too.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:53 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
Sure, I want production that sounds clean but not too polished. And by the drums I mean I'm looking for a drumming that has constant tempo changes, fast blast beats and fillers, not a monotonous, boring drumming.

Catamenia would be an example, save for the overproduced sound

I know not of this Catamenia aside from their name and their (new) gothic tag. So perhaps Lord Belial. For the more "upbeat" "epic" tremelo riff request... Try Nargaroth - Jahreszeiten, also the new Satanic Warmaster is surprisingly perfect for your request. Sargeists last 2 are also perfect if you've never heard them. Similarly stuff I/we have suggested multiple times like Sarkrista, Lutomysl, Old Wainds, Odal, Mgla, Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult. I wish I could check my collection to find more obscure stuff I'm not thinking of.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:39 pm 

I'll check those, and Sargeist was pretty good, thanks for that

And here it is a prime example of what I'm looking for: https://youtu.be/ZFD-NUyFMKk?t=41m1s

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:56 pm 

I think you'd like Tsjuder.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:10 am 

I did! although this "chaotic" and "raw" atmosphere in BM isn't quite my thing, save for that, that was almost a perfect match for my request, thank you

Edit: Here there are two songs that will help you (if anybody interested) to better picture what I'm looking for

Edit 2: I now realized that this is totally different to what I was initially asking for. Well, whatever band that may fit into any of my two requests will be fine

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:38 pm 

Quote:
Looking for a specific band/one-man project. Only has three albums, very goofy album covers. "Carnival" like. I think from Norway, possibly signed to Season of Mist. I expected to find them under similar artists for Dødheimsgard or Furze. Goofy, oddball black metal with some industrial/EDM influence.

Figured it out: Slagmaur

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:37 am 

@Thexhumed: Your request gets more and more confusing man. :lol: Just see if there's anything among these you like. If not I'll just leave it here as a general collection of cool stuff with an emphasis on tremolo riffing.

Not as tremolo-heavy but somewhat in the vein of Vikingligr Veldi
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

vvhiskeyfuneral
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:40 am 

Thexhumed might be looking for something like this. Great album even if they are fucking hipsters :lol:

Drudkh's new album comes out today and it might be their best ever.
New Infernal War is good for fast angry stuff, but not quite as extreme as their fellow countrymen in Besatt

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:14 pm 

Sammath was great! I just add them to my YT playlist. Imperium Dekadenz was fine, but nothing too memorable. Isvind was magnificent, just what I was looking for. I'd be very dissapointed if the rest of the album wasn't as fantastic as this piece. Dawn, I liked it a lot, but I don't see myself listening on a weekly basis (if that makes any sense). Der Weg einer Freiheit was fine, but it had a bit of a "shoegaze" sound which I'm not too fond of.

Thanks to both of you for your recommendations, much appreciated.

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:25 pm 

Demoncy are awesome. Excellent riffs and atmosphere. Thanks for the recommendation Inhumanist.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:57 pm 

Hey folks, I'm looking for stuff in the vein of mid-era Darkthrone, like this album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGgSOypU3vs

No depressive/suicidal stuff please! :)

alossfourwords
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:39 pm 

Looking for some thrashy black metal with pretty heavy punk influence. Specifically Oi punk influence. I'd even go so far as to say I'm looking for Oi punk with BM influence.
As an example, this track by Ives captures the style that I'm looking to find more of.

Spoiler: show

I actually like the production qualities on this. I'm a big Bone Awl fan, but am looking for a little less distortion than bands like them with this request.
If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be extremely thankful.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:41 pm 

This time I'm looking for something akin to the first Sad Legend album. The vocals are fantastic (kind of remind me of Wolves in the Throne Room) but they've also got a great sense of melody, but the real clincher are those high-pitched, feminine clean vocals. They're not at all like you usually hear from female singers in black metal but more stuff like this would be awesome. Sample for reference:

Or this one:

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

vvhiskeyfuneral
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:34 am 

Can't really answer the requests, but here's an old gem i dug up today. 4 long songs.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:30 pm 

So Aegrus got some attention for their debut, but the EP is actually pretty cool too.

BondedByBanjo
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:57 pm 

Im not sure this is the proper thread but I'm looking for more stuff like Sarcofago's Rotting album.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:35 pm 

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
So Aegrus got some attention for their debut, but the EP is actually pretty cool too.

I remember checking that out a while ago after the PhilosiFrog mentioned them around here, great stuff. I haven't actually listened to their full length yet, I should do that soon.

Anybody got anything similar to Ulvegr's latest album? Really heavy on the icy Immortal-esque riffs and some top notch production quality with a few uhhh, breakdowns I guess, thrown in? Anything that sounds like the 4:50 mark in this song, basically.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:36 pm 

Anybody heard this yet?

Ulfberht's L'aube d'une nouvelle ère, the debut of a brand new project from Fog of Norman Shores, Aurvandil, Quintessence... Apparently it's a Burzum-inspired work and probably shits all over anything Varg ever did, but there doesn't seem to be anything at all listenable online yet, not even any reviews.

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:49 am 

alossfourwords wrote:
Looking for some thrashy black metal with pretty heavy punk influence. Specifically Oi punk influence. I'd even go so far as to say I'm looking for Oi punk with BM influence.
As an example, this track by Ives captures the style that I'm looking to find more of.

Spoiler: show

I actually like the production qualities on this. I'm a big Bone Awl fan, but am looking for a little less distortion than bands like them with this request.
If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be extremely thankful.

you might want to check out all the bands on CW productions (furdidurke et al.). just search the metal archives database for cw prods. these bands are all more on the rawer side though.

this may be a bit of a stretch, but what about early absurd (thuringian pagan madness/facta loquuntur era)? tpm is excellent, facta a bit hit or miss, but still great. raw german underground black metal with a strong oi influence and epic feeling. kind of a love em or hate them band though, I suppose. if you cant stomach the early production jobs, they re-recorded some songs in the der fünfzehnjährige krieg compilation.

my last recommendation would be akitsa, who also have frequent oi leanings. while stilistically relatively constant, their releases are varied and stress the oi aspect to different extents.

let me know if any of these work for you. I may have more suggestions, but theyre escaping me atm.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

vvhiskeyfuneral
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:21 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Anybody heard this yet?

Ulfberht's L'aube d'une nouvelle ère, the debut of a brand new project from Fog of Norman Shores, Aurvandil, Quintessence... Apparently it's a Burzum-inspired work and probably shits all over anything Varg ever did, but there doesn't seem to be anything at all listenable online yet, not even any reviews.

All I can find is on youtube. If you search Ulfberht black metal you just get a lot of stuff on ancient viking swords. I only see 2 songs but I just looked real quick.
here's one

Someone in the 2015 album thread mentioned a band called Djevel who I had never heard of and they are literally the best thing Norway has done in forever. I haven't fully listened to all 3 albums, but from what I've heard they are all about equal.

so fucking sick

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:21 pm 

Haha, what the hell, I swear those two vids didn't pop up last night when I searched for this. Thanks, will listen today.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 9:43 am 

can someone tell me more black metal like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlhTJXqpC-c

my guess there are billions of bands like them but i enjoy it

vvhiskeyfuneral
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:55 am 

^Thanks for reminding me about Wardaemonic I completely forgot about them and their new albums sounds amazing! I don't remember them being this fast. For some reason I thought they had more of a dsbm sound, but must have been thinking of a different Australian band.

SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:20 pm 

vvhiskeyfuneral wrote:
^Thanks for reminding me about Wardaemonic I completely forgot about them and their new albums sounds amazing! I don't remember them being this fast. For some reason I thought they had more of a dsbm sound, but must have been thinking of a different Australian band.

no problem i have their 2nd album i think and saw them live a few years ago before their massive line up change, they impressed a lot live

laxskinn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:53 am 

Time for one of those confusing requests i guess. I'm looking for black metal with promonent melodies without losing the brutality and becaming too sugary. More death metal influenced rather than norwegian style atmosphere i guess. Something in the vien of Watain, Mgla, Ofermod, Blaze of Perdition etc. I want that "marching into war" feeling. Music that just make you feel powerful, no emo DSBM stuff. This band also fit the bill really well:

Especially from about the 4 minute mark and forward.
It seems to exist mostly in the Swedish and Polish scenes but I'm probably missing a lot of bands from other places.

Nekrothorn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:51 am 

Looking for something similar to Belgium's band 'Possessed'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCzYUUH28jg

not necessarily new stuff, oldschool cult classics will do as well

what I like here - haunted vocals, production, that crushing mid-tempo riffs and that kind of "cementary" climate

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:00 am 

Hey hey, I would like recommendations for some decent melodic black metal.

- Nature-inspired or autumnal sounding atmosphere
- Tasteful use of clean vocals (whether they are male or female doesn't matter)
- Mostly guitar-driven, with little to no use of synthesizers
- Occasional flutes and/or violins
- Perhaps some nice acoustic parts mixed in there (mild folk elements would be nice)
- Preferably lyrics in Norwegian or Swedish, though that's not really essential

Here are a couple of examples just to give you an idea of what I'm looking for.

What I'm specifically not looking to hear:
- Gothic, symphonic, or post-metal elements
- Super long, progressive song structures

Hope that's specific without being too narrow.

Dead7890
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 1:40 am 

TheUnhinged wrote:
Hey hey, I would like recommendations for some decent melodic black metal.

- Nature-inspired or autumnal sounding atmosphere
- Tasteful use of clean vocals (whether they are male or female doesn't matter)
- Mostly guitar-driven, with little to no use of synthesizers
- Occasional flutes and/or violins
- Perhaps some nice acoustic parts mixed in there (mild folk elements would be nice)
- Preferably lyrics in Norwegian or Swedish, though that's not really essential

Here are a couple of examples just to give you an idea of what I'm looking for.

What I'm specifically not looking to hear:
- Gothic, symphonic, or post-metal elements
- Super long, progressive song structures

Hope that's specific without being too narrow.

Quite specific, I'm more in the Pagan/Folk corner. Give these a try:

Темнозорь (Temnozor) - White Thunder Roars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf9Ew-9Tkww

Темнозорь (Temnozor) - Вервольф (Werewolf):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y0VTlmzWOc

Темнозорь (Temnozor) - Watch The Falcons Fly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0idGuRM2ElI

Pagan Reign - Первые стрелы на поле битвы (First Arrows on a Battlefield):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd3z3EG90Gc

Аркона (Arkona) - Сва:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY3MpUwPnJ0

Родогост (Rodogost) - Константинополь (Constantinople) (Demo):
http://ololo.fm/search/%D0%A0%D0%BE%D0% ... 0%BB%D1%8C

Сварга (Svarga) - Волчья (Wolf):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egl8SRVlLG8

Велес (Veles) - Калина (Demo):
http://ololo.fm/search/%D0%92%D0%B5%D0% ... 0%BD%D0%B0

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:38 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Anybody heard this yet?

Yeah dude, since 'Hvis Lyset Tar Oss' , 'Filosofem' and 'Det Som Engang Var' are so easily surpassed. You didn't even listen to the record and you're already assuming it "shits" over Varg's work. Have some respect for Burzum's renowned works. It's not like majestic albums like the aforementioned come around often. Also, no. It's not that good.

laxskinn wrote:
Time for one of those confusing requests i guess. I'm looking for black metal with promonent melodies without losing the brutality and becaming too sugary. More death metal influenced rather than norwegian style atmosphere i guess. Something in the vien of Watain, Mgla, Ofermod, Blaze of Perdition etc. I want that "marching into war" feeling. Music that just make you feel powerful, no emo DSBM stuff. This band also fit the bill really well:

It seems to exist mostly in the Swedish and Polish scenes but I'm probably missing a lot of bands from other places.

This? Not death metal influenced but might give you what you're looking for.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:18 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
the debut of a brand new project from Fog of Norman Shores, Aurvandil, Quintessence... Apparently it's a Burzum-inspired work and probably shits all over anything Varg ever did

YOU CANNOT HAVE THIS OPINION!! DO NOT SPECULATE AGAINST RENOWNED WORKS!! IF YOU DON'T LIKE BURZUM KEEP IT TO YOURSELF OR PREPARE FOR HAUGHTY SNARK!!

remember when talking to the ardbeg wizard used to be fun? or was that only about whiskey? I forget.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:18 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
I want BM that has:

Lots of upbeat, uplifting (epic) tremolo picking riffs
Clean, yet gritty production
Drums that don't sound stagnated, instead, have a good flow
No symphonic elements, not of any kind

Thanks in advance

I haven't read every single post, so I apologize for any repeats, but I would second whoever mentioned Old Wainds. 'Nordraum' was one of the best black metal albums of 2014, or at least, probably my personal favorite.

I can't guarantee the first criterion (uplifting, "epic" riffs) but some albums which satisfy all the others for sure would be:

Inferno - 'Black Devotion'
Kult Ofenzivy - 'Radikal Ateismus'
Astrofaes - 'Heritage'
Purest - 'Renascence'
Dark Fury - 'Fortress of Eagles' (NSBM warning, if you care)
Moloth - 'Unbreakable Faith' (NSBM warning here too)
Nocturnal Amentia - 'Hec Regnum Meum Est'

Those cover a relatively wide swath of the genre, but any BM fan who's not super-picky would probably like them. You did specify no symphonic elements at all, but if you can handle a little bit, I would also recommend Setherial and Naer Mataron (assuming you're not familiar).

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:45 pm 

laxskinn wrote:

I don't know if some of these will be melodic enough for your taste, but I think you're on the right track with the "Polish scene" comment. Bands like Infernal War, Szron, Ohtar certainly fulfill at least most of your criteria, especially the marching-into-war aspect. Also some of the "meaner" German bands like Luror, Magog, even Bilskirnir if you don't mind a bit of crypto-Nazism.

laxskinn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:47 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
This? Not death metal influenced but might give you what you're looking for.

Pretty good. Thanks!
Yeah, it doesn't have to actually be death meral influenced. Just trying to describe the "brutality" or w/e that these bands have compared to for example old Norwegian BM which tend to be more minimalist and trying to achieve more of an eerie/nature feel. I'm just not very good at the sort of music analyzing science stuff ;)

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:

I don't know if some of these will be melodic enough for your taste, but I think you're on the right track with the "Polish scene" comment. Bands like Infernal War, Szron, Ohtar certainly fulfill at least most of your criteria, especially the marching-into-war aspect. Also some of the "meaner" German bands like Luror, Magog, even Bilskirnir if you don't mind a bit of crypto-Nazism.

I ususlly avoid the nazi bands but some of those were good. I liked Ohtar and Luror. Infernal War really reminded me of Voidhanger, which is a good thing, and maybe not so surprising as half of the members are apparently in that band too. Szron I was alredy familiar with, but a good band still. Bilskirnir maybe didn't exactly fit this request but i still liked it a lot just as melodic BM with a bit of Burzum flavour.

Here's some other songs of the kind I'm looking for:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 12:30 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Yeah dude, since 'Hvis Lyset Tar Oss' , 'Filosofem' and 'Det Som Engang Var' are so easily surpassed. You didn't even listen to the record and you're already assuming it "shits" over Varg's work. Have some respect for Burzum's renowned works. It's not like majestic albums like the aforementioned come around often. Also, no. It's not that good.

:lol: Mokay. I actually did enjoy the couple sample tracks more than early Burzum (the inspiration point for this Ulberht stuff), so I guess I was right in that regard. Never thought much of Burzum, to be honest... his stuff is super boring a lot of time, riffs are pretty stiff and uninspiring, and he tended to painfully over-extend the good ideas he did bring to the table. Oh, and his vocals are awful, especially on the early stuff. Not to say that his catalogue is TOTAL CRAP or anything, there's plenty of decent stuff in there, but I could never understand the hype around him at all. Hvis Lyset and Filosofem are good but definitely not amazing.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147 ... 231  Next