Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:17 pm 

It's not anti-capitalist, it's about the substance in the music. There is all the evidence, if you listen to their music, look at their artworks, see their live shows, that are all streamlined as fuck like it has been done with black metal for years by certain circles - overemphasise all elements that sell, throw out all the elements that people don't care for - such as unique and personal ideas and genuine passion. We're talking about one of the most plastic bands in all of black metal here, a completely Satyriconised (artistically castrated) subversion of "underground" black metal. It's screaming in your face through every medium you come in contact with them, gotta be in a comatose state to see "zero evidence".

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:18 pm 

That's one opinion to have, sure. But I wouldn't say that any of those observations mean that they are not caring about their craft and are in it for the money. Gotta be delusional to think that amounts to "evidence"

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:23 pm 

Yeah and gotta be delusional to think the sky is blue and water is wet. Like what the fuck? Nice trolling.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:26 pm 

You're the only troll here. A band is successful and you think that means they are only in it for the money and don't try their best. Based off of literally zero evidence, and complete conjecture. I am sure your years of experience and expertise in the music business led you to that riveting insight. You have absolutely zero clue about what you're talking about and remain steadfast in holding an opinion formed from pure ignorance. Get a life, man.

I'm just gonna put you on ignore so I don't have to deal with your stupid bullshit anymore. Sometimes you seem like you're lucid and intelligent and other days you say dumb shit like this. I'm done.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:29 pm 

:argue: I read an interview where they said something along the lines of their music being the most important thing in their lives, of course just because someone says something doesn't really mean anything these days, but anyway...
Here's another awesome black/death/doom infusion, any of you heard this before? Convulsing - Errata

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:33 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Here's another awesome black/death/doom infusion, any of you heard this before? Convulsing - Errata

Yeah! I discovered this late last year and lamented not knowing of it before I submitted my votes for best album of 2016 on MA. Really good stuff, like a more melodic take on Swarth-era Portal. The drum machine is also exceptionally well-done.

Maniac Matis
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:12 pm 

TheConqueror1 wrote:
Maniac Matis wrote:
Holy fucking shit, Aurvandil is incredible. Have been listening to Thrones on repeat for two days straight now. Can anyone recommend me anything similar? There is nothing in the similar artists' tab for him. What an amazing band - perfect lo-fi guitar tone, massive drums and atmosphere, and totally estranged and unique vocals.

https://youtu.be/qUzezguVpNE?t=6m4s

I didn't expect Thrones to be such a good album. I think you should check out Mgla by the way. Both bands share a very similar style with each other.

I've known about MGLA for a long time and don't really hear any similarities at all between them and Aurvandil, personally. No similarities in the tortured, estranged vocals of Aurvandil and the atmosphere both bands conjure are totally incomparable. That's just my opinion, maybe I'm missing something. I appreciate the gesture, though!

Sick6Six wrote:
What the hell are you guys talking about!? anyway, Yeah, Thrones is an amazing album and I just noticed Aurvandil is split up which totally sucks. I can think of things that have similarities, but nothing that I'd really say is quite the same.

Anything by Caverne/Necropole, Paysage D'Hiver/Darkspace or Fluisteraars may have some similarities.
Dodsengel - Mirium Occultum
Grafvitnir - (I just discovered this band right now and they sound very promising)
Mortualia
Demoncy - Last 2 albums have a really dark muffled production, but dunno if the music is really that similar
Svartidaudi or Yith, both more doomy though.

I dunno, I haven't listened to some of these, or Thrones for that matter, in awhile so I could be way off... I'd love to hear more stuff like Aurvandil myself.

Edit: This too, has keyboards, but pretty cool Akhlys

I LOVE Paysage D'Hiver, Darkspace, and Caverne/Necropole. I think Paysage probably most resembles Aurvandil's sound than the other two, but I'm going to check out all of the rest of these suggestions as I have not listened to any of them. Cheers!

Under_Starmere wrote:
Unng. I'm ThRoBing

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:20 pm 

I doubt I, rexx or the fans of Mgła are oblivious to the observation that you've made about their style, droneriot. There is more than one way to interpret it, though, and I don't think yours is a very plausible one. I've yet to see them live (I will in February, though), but just a cursory peek at their lyrics suggests that there's much more to their style than stripping black metal to a minimum marketable product. I think it's an artistic vision implemented in a clever way that for black metal is unusually viable commercially. The comparison to Satyricon is rather weak as well, because Satyricon was a band started by some teenagers who ended up being quite notorious despite the nature of their art. That's not the case with Mgła. The businessman-like behaviour in black metal manifests as overt flashiness, showmanship and gloss, whereas Mgła represents the opposite end of the spectrum.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:14 pm 

Maniac Matis wrote:
TheConqueror1 wrote:

I didn't expect Thrones to be such a good album. I think you should check out Mgla by the way. Both bands share a very similar style with each other.

I've known about MGLA for a long time and don't really hear any similarities at all between them and Aurvandil, personally. No similarities in the tortured, estranged vocals of Aurvandil and the atmosphere both bands conjure are totally incomparable. That's just my opinion, maybe I'm missing something. I appreciate the gesture, though!

Never listened to Aurvandil before and I'm checking out one of their songs from Thrones. The instrumental approach is actually pretty similar early Mgla (up to Groza at least). Vocals are obviously different, but this is stuff that fits right in to stuff like "Mdłości" or "Further Down the Nest".

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:14 pm 

Wait, is drone really arguing that Mgła are big moneymaking sellouts? Yeah man I'm sure they're swimming in $$.... :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:39 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Wait, is drone really arguing that Mgła are big moneymaking sellouts? Yeah man I'm sure they're swimming in $$.... :lol:

Morrigan, it's good. I got this! Mgla can't be sellouts because the main lyrical concept of the band is nihilism. They're not moneymaking sellouts due to the fact that they don't believe in moneymaking sellouts! :hail:

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:10 pm 

I'm jumping headfirst into black metal and trying to find some great but obscure stuff. Looking for more straightforward black, nothing post, depressive or symphonic. Just raw, cold black metal. Sorry if that's kinda vague but I'm not quite sure how else to describe what I'm looking for.

Use Baloo and calypso music.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:11 pm 

IMO, start with Immortal. They offer a good solid foundation for BM beginners and a wide variety of approaches within their own sound. There are many other classic bands you could easily pick from as well. But those guys in my view act as a rather good gestalt for much of the black metal aesthetic.

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:40 pm 

Sorry I didn't mention it in my first post but I am familiar with the classics. I'm looking for more obscure stuff. Immortal is awesome though!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:42 pm 

Your post is misleading then, you said you were jumping headfirst into black metal but if you're familiar with the classics I'd say you're way past jumping headfirst, you're already treading the waters.

One of my favorites is Dark Fortress. They have greater production values than what you're probably looking for but their style is great and I like every album they've done.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:55 pm 

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hAy9YejjSyA

Try Sorhin.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:12 pm 

Maniac Matis & Sick6six, for a band with a smilar approach to PdH and that of Aurvandil you guys should try Obscurae. Reverb heavy with a great atmosphere, probably best listened to through headphones ;). These guys worship the night as what Paysage d'Hiver dk winter.

https://obscurae.bandcamp.com/releases

Also Fog who played drums in Aurvandil has a fee other worthwhile projects, Norman Shores for example, well worth checking out. Enjoy guys.

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:49 pm 

Sorhin is pretty damn good as is Dark Fortress. Thanks!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:35 pm 

Obscurae sounds very cool, I'll have to listen to that full album in the next day or 2. I also just started listening to one of the Nightbringer side projects "Akhlys - The Dreaming I" which is also very similar and I probably like it better than a lot of the earlier Nightbringer stuff.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:47 pm 

soulonfire wrote:
I'm jumping headfirst into black metal and trying to find some great but obscure stuff. Looking for more straightforward black, nothing post, depressive or symphonic. Just raw, cold black metal. Sorry if that's kinda vague but I'm not quite sure how else to describe what I'm looking for.

Here's a couple to check out for your request also.

Azelisassath. They have three albums, but I've only managed to get a hold of their second, the others are hard to find... Anyway, the Evil Manifestations Against Mankind is a great, great album, with tons of atmosphere and chilling song craft.

In Times of Heresy

Profanities From the Void

Myrkr. The Offspring of Gathering Foulness EP is awesome, full of raw, cold black metal. I actually can't recommend all their releases high enough though. His other band (now that Myrkr is defunct), Slidhr are also well worth checking out.

Deadly Winds and Paralysing Cold

Manifestation to Red Eyes (from the split with Nåstrond)

Har Shatan. Again, hard to get a physical release (though I have the vinyl :grin: ), but if you want cold, raw straight up black metal, then check this out. Really, really fucking good.

Morningstar

Fire

Matricide. A band I will endlessly sing praises to Satan for. Raw, cold, hateful and bloody well done black metal. All releases in my eyes are masterpieces of black metal.

Holy Virgin (soooo fucking cruel)

Faceless Shadow

The Black. Their second album in particular is an absolute beast, but by all means do check out the debut The Priest of Satan - having said that, the sophomore album Alongside Death, is leagues ahead of it. Raw bleakness and perversion.

Death's Crown

A Contract Written in Ashes

My collection

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:41 am 

soulonfire wrote:

some random recommendations you'll probably enjoy:

ofermod - mysterion tes anomias
old wainds - most stuff, but especially where the snows are never gone
arkona - zeta reticuli (imperium for a more symphonic approach)
warloghe - all, but especially womb of pestilence
clandestine blaze - deliverers of faith in particular, but anything really except maybe the debut
legion of doom - first 3
mütiilation - vampires of black imperial blood
vlad tepes - all, especially the splits and the drakksteim sessions compilation
inquisition - invoking the majestic throne of satan
countess - find out yourself
old demoncy
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:32 pm 

Those are all really good suggestions. I just noticed yesterday that Murg came out with a new album in December. I found their 1st album to be incredible and wasn't expecting another so soon, this one sounds even better. Amazing band! https://murg.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:27 am 

soulonfire wrote:

For super straightforwardness there is the traditional duo of Funeral Mist (the Salvation album in particular) and the german Katharsis.. they were pretty popular few years ago, and the they have both a recognizable, very aggressive sound

The critics destroyed it, but i always found Tenebrae in Perpetuum's last album to be a really good take on the traditional "cold bm sound"

And also there is Neige Eternelle's self titled: i'm not really a big fan of canadian BM, but this one won me over with his sheer hostility.. the "cold" feel is surely there!

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:38 pm 

Anyone else remember Crimson Moon? US black metal band, not Crimson Moonlight the Christian band from Sweden. Crimson Moon weren't wholly engaging but they had a few cool songs that I remember from their debut album. Apparently, they released a new album late last year that slipped underneath my radar. Haven't listened to it yet, but it'll be something for me to check out.

SatanicDeathLust666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:02 am 

soulonfire wrote:

Hope this is to your liking.

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:32 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
Any Pagan/Black/Viking band that has the sound/feel of this Insomnium song (specially the intro) thanks!

Edit: I don't want to double post, so I'll another request on my original:

Any album like Summoning's Minas Morgul? Yes, I've heard their entire discography, and I like it a lot, but this album has a balance of Black Metal, ambiance and atmosphere the others don't have, or either they're too raw and primitive (Lugburz) or lack the punching power Minas Morgul has. So yeah, that's it pretty much.

Insomnium isn't a black metal band or really pagan/viking either they're pretty much melodic doom/death.

They're definitely one of my favorites if you couldn't tell from my screen name.

If you want bands that sound like that I'd suggest Rapture, Slumber, Evemaster, early Kataonia, Noumena, Barren Earth and Withering.

I really love that sound also.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:29 am 

o_O Insomnium is death/doom metal?

I suppose they have parts that recall some Finnish melodic death/doom bands like Rapture or Swallow the Sun, but they're most definitely melodic death metal. This is death/doom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNW-EvRQd1A

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:33 am 

Hello,

I am looking for obscure, lo-fi black metal. Not just any noisy black metal band. I need ritualistic, black metal that sounds out one way or another.
May it be through hypnotising vocals, enchanting riffs, sounding like a ritual; you get it. I hope.

Lowtide85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:41 pm 

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for metal in the vein of Graveland (I know they're not really Black Metal but I'm not sure they're 100% Viking metal either.)

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:31 pm 

what's viking about graveland?

also, which graveland era do you mean? I'll just throw in the TTF bands for good measue (fullmoon, veles et al.)
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:34 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
o_O Insomnium is death/doom metal?

I suppose they have parts that recall some Finnish melodic death/doom bands like Rapture or Swallow the Sun, but they're most definitely melodic death metal. This is death/doom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNW-EvRQd1A

Well yeah that's why I called them MELODIC doom death, not just doom death.

They are definitely more melodic than doom, which is what they are listed as here, but I hear them as quite similar in many parts to bands like Rapture and Slumber.

What you listed is straight up doom death like Disembowelment which is a different style altogether.

But Insomnium's definitely not black metal.

I wouldn't argue with just calling the melodic death, but IMO Rapture and Slumber are both more similar to Insomnium than to that band, and they get that label.

So yeah, they're somewhere in there.

I'd sooner change Rapture to melodic death than change Insomnium to doom death, we'll leave it at that.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:56 am 

That's fair, you're right. I suppose melodic death/doom is a style of its own that doesn't entirely fall back into death/doom, just like melodic death metal to death metal. Fuck, some of the Swedish stuff is closer to power metal than death metal. :lol:

Still, Insomnium is - to me - more on the proper, vanilla melodeath side, even though they have some (excellent) slow, doomy songs as well.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:58 pm 

Lowtide85 wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for metal in the vein of Graveland (I know they're not really Black Metal but I'm not sure they're 100% Viking metal either.)

Woodtemple are kinda cut and paste of mid-era (Memory and Destiny and Fire of Awakening) Graveland, but not as good for the most part. As far as I know, I believe Darken is friends with the main man in this project and has played live with them for a few years. Haven't listened to this band for a while, but I remember Voices of Pagan Mountains being clearly better than the rest of this band's albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzuLlNPwMv8

Otherwise, if you're looking for something similar to Graveland's early material, try digging through Moonblood's material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YN-DGKO9Io

Ill-Starred Son
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:35 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
That's fair, you're right. I suppose melodic death/doom is a style of its own that doesn't entirely fall back into death/doom, just like melodic death metal to death metal. Fuck, some of the Swedish stuff is closer to power metal than death metal. :lol:

Still, Insomnium is - to me - more on the proper, vanilla melodeath side, even though they have some (excellent) slow, doomy songs as well.

Yeah, although I can't ever use the word "vanilla" with Insomnium as I just think they are such an amazing band.

They are so consistent and have never sold out like In Flames did HORRIBLY, whose EARLY stuff was some of my favorite shit of all time, like Colony and before that.

They produce such emotional music without being wimpy IMO.

And yeah, lots of Swedish stuff is close to power metal, and while I don't usually like power metal, another of my favorite bands is Ensiferum and if not for the vocals they might be power metal.

I haven't explored much "2nd wave" black metal for a while, opting to learn more about the early obscure black thrash bands, but just got Abigor's "Channeling the Quintesence of Satan" and look forward to hearing it, since they had been my favorite black metal band at one point.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:34 pm 

soulonfire wrote:

If you want raw cold black metal and obscure stuff, I'd highly recommand the french black metal band Balrog, especially on their record Ars Talionis:

From what I know, it's fairly unknown, but it's fucking raw, it's violent and unforgiving. Plus, the production is amazing and the riffing is great!

A little less obscure, but still not a classic. I love their approach, and their vocalist/guitarist is a female. Not that it really matters, but it's pretty rare in black metal (I'm talking real bm, not the Myrkur kind of crap).

Give me some feedback later!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:58 pm 

Schattenvald are back guys with album number 'V' -

https://schattenvald.bandcamp.com/album/v

Lowtide85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:35 pm 

into_the_pit wrote:
what's viking about graveland?

also, which graveland era do you mean? I'll just throw in the TTF bands for good measue (fullmoon, veles et al.)

I was thinking of Fire Chariot of Destruction onwards, although I also like their earlier stuff.

soulonfire
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:40 am 

HeavenDuff wrote:
soulonfire wrote:

If you want raw cold black metal and obscure stuff, I'd highly recommand the french black metal band Balrog, especially on their record Ars Talionis:

From what I know, it's fairly unknown, but it's fucking raw, it's violent and unforgiving. Plus, the production is amazing and the riffing is great!

A little less obscure, but still not a classic. I love their approach, and their vocalist/guitarist is a female. Not that it really matters, but it's pretty rare in black metal (I'm talking real bm, not the Myrkur kind of crap).

Give me some feedback later!

Balrog was good but I loved DNS. Gonna check out more of their stuff. Thanks!

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:55 pm 

soulonfire wrote:
Balrog was good but I loved DNS. Gonna check out more of their stuff. Thanks!

Great! I'm happy that you enjoyed their music!

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:21 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
Hello,

I am looking for obscure, lo-fi black metal. Not just any noisy black metal band. I need ritualistic, black metal that sounds out one way or another.
May it be through hypnotising vocals, enchanting riffs, sounding like a ritual; you get it. I hope.

No one?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181 ... 231  Next