* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 2:49 pm 

laxskinn wrote:
The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
This? Not death metal influenced but might give you what you're looking for.

Pretty good. Thanks!
Yeah, it doesn't have to actually be death meral influenced. Just trying to describe the "brutality" or w/e that these bands have compared to for example old Norwegian BM which tend to be more minimalist and trying to achieve more of an eerie/nature feel. I'm just not very good at the sort of music analyzing science stuff ;)

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:

I don't know if some of these will be melodic enough for your taste, but I think you're on the right track with the "Polish scene" comment. Bands like Infernal War, Szron, Ohtar certainly fulfill at least most of your criteria, especially the marching-into-war aspect. Also some of the "meaner" German bands like Luror, Magog, even Bilskirnir if you don't mind a bit of crypto-Nazism.

I ususlly avoid the nazi bands but some of those were good. I liked Ohtar and Luror. Infernal War really reminded me of Voidhanger, which is a good thing, and maybe not so surprising as half of the members are apparently in that band too. Szron I was alredy familiar with, but a good band still. Bilskirnir maybe didn't exactly fit this request but i still liked it a lot just as melodic BM with a bit of Burzum flavour.

Here's some other songs of the kind I'm looking for:

Do you know Dark Fury? Another Polish band that might fit your criteria. The album Fortress of Eagles is the only one of theirs I have but it's really good stuff. Really unique riffing too. Stahlfront is also cool and might be something of interest to you.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 11:45 pm 

Dead7890 wrote:
Quite specific, I'm more in the Pagan/Folk corner. Give these a try:

Темнозорь (Temnozor) - White Thunder Roars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf9Ew-9Tkww

Темнозорь (Temnozor) - Вервольф (Werewolf):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y0VTlmzWOc

Темнозорь (Temnozor) - Watch The Falcons Fly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0idGuRM2ElI

Pagan Reign - Первые стрелы на поле битвы (First Arrows on a Battlefield):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd3z3EG90Gc

Аркона (Arkona) - Сва:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY3MpUwPnJ0

Родогост (Rodogost) - Константинополь (Constantinople) (Demo):
http://ololo.fm/search/%D0%A0%D0%BE%D0% ... 0%BB%D1%8C

Сварга (Svarga) - Волчья (Wolf):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Egl8SRVlLG8

Велес (Veles) - Калина (Demo):
http://ololo.fm/search/%D0%92%D0%B5%D0% ... 0%BD%D0%B0

These are all excellent, thank you! I especially enjoyed Temnozor, that was exactly what I had in mind.

cgsather
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:52 pm 

(edit)

Last edited by iamntbatman on Tue May 12, 2015 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
DO NOT use the rec threads to promote your own shit.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 11:52 pm 

I've never really listened to black metal before, but Darkend is really awesome. Does anyone know any similar bands? Thanks.

laxskinn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:19 am 

TrueDynamite wrote:

I've never really listened to black metal before, but Darkend is really awesome. Does anyone know any similar bands? Thanks.

Maybe a bit obvious but since you haven't listened to much BM before; you know abuot Dimmu Borgir right? Darkend seems to be pretty inspired by them. Old Man's Child and Limbonic Art also comes to mind.

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:25 am 

laxskinn wrote:
TrueDynamite wrote:

Maybe a bit obvious but since you haven't listened to much BM before; you know abuot Dimmu Borgir right? Darkend seems to be pretty inspired by them. Old Man's Child and Limbonic Art also comes to mind.

I've listened to a few Dimmu Borgir songs, but I didn't really like it. However, I can give them a second chance. Any recommendations on songs to listen to? I think I liked Limbonic Art, but I'll check out Old Man's Child, too. Thanks!

vvhiskeyfuneral
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:32 am 

If you didn't like Dimmu then there might be hope for you!

Bagg
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:51 am 

What do you guys think about MALADIE? It's NOT 100% raw black metal but rather extreme metal with some black metal parts in it:

MouthBreather
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:27 am 

I really like Mgla! What are some similar bands?

vvhiskeyfuneral
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:22 am 

MouthBreather wrote:

Yes Mgła is top tier, in fact someone recently turned me onto the band Ulvegr and one of my favorite songs by them is kind of Mgła like. Quite an epic anthem of a song.

This has a similar, but more aggressive atmosphere

Another great Polish band, a bit more raw than Mgła, but maybe similar

I really cannot say enough good things about these guys either

Also people were talking about Aurvandil which has longer songs and even more of a dense atmosphere

Nothing really sound like Mgła except for themselves, but maybe these are close enough.

ingmar birdman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:02 pm 

MouthBreather wrote:

Some good recs above, love that Old Wainds album especially. I'll throw in Furia, they're also Polish, a bit experimental compared to Mgla but they've got a similar sound.

Murtal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 8:01 am 

Similar depressive songs ?

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 3:46 pm 

Hey guys, I'm trying to find bands that sound exactly like the first three minutes or so of this, or the most similar possible.
Namely with catchy and upbeat melodies. I think what does the trick for the catchyness is that the drums are slightly less paced than the guitar or something... Also If the snares would be above the mix like that it would be awesome.

Any ideas?

laxskinn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 4:54 am 

Karlabos wrote:
Hey guys, I'm trying to find bands that sound exactly like the first three minutes or so of this, or the most similar possible.
Namely with catchy and upbeat melodies. I think what does the trick for the catchyness is that the drums are slightly less paced than the guitar or something... Also If the snares would be above the mix like that it would be awesome.

Any ideas?

Weird... It sounds to me lika a birthday song or something almost :p
Maybe I (not myself, I the Immortal side project) fits. Not very similar maybe but still rather catchy, almost happy sounding.

vvhiskeyfuneral
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 12:22 pm 

Karlabos wrote:

Any ideas?

That Nargaroth album was surprisingly good overall except I hate that happy part!

Check out this band called Slavland, I am not terribly familiar with them, they are very folky and happy at times. I remember one of their earlier albums was insanely fast and "brutal" but still had really strong folk elements. I just picked this song at random

There's also my least favorite Drudkh song ever:

teh_Foxx0rz
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 2:38 pm 

vvhiskeyfuneral wrote:
Karlabos wrote:

Any ideas?

That Nargaroth album was surprisingly good overall except I hate that happy part!

Check out this band called Slavland, I am not terribly familiar with them, they are very folky and happy at times. I remember one of their earlier albums was insanely fast and "brutal" but still had really strong folk elements. I just picked this song at random

There's also my least favorite Drudkh song ever:

Yeah Drudkh are a good pick if mainly for just a few songs; that one (which happens to be one of my favs :D ) is a good one; this one needs to be mentioned too!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:14 pm 

Karlabos wrote:

Any ideas?

Probably my favourite Nargaroth album Karlabos. There was an early demo release by a band who for the life of me I can not remember their name but it sounded scarily similar to this Nargaroth intro. I wish i could find them but it was quite a few years ago around the same time as this album was released, that this demo popped up in a thread about this very track.

Anyway I think should enjoy these guys, Totale Vernichtung. An awesome unheard of band with two albums worth of upbeat black, not to dissimilar to Ash's work. Check this out and let me know what you think.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:38 am 

You guys who dig that raw, triumphant/melancholic sort of black metal that the Finns are so good at might get a kick out of this Basque band, Owl's Blood.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:25 pm 

Thanks guys

@vvhiskeyfuneral and foxxorz: Yeah, some Drudkh songs really seem to have the same vibe, however I'd prefer a band or at least an entire album among the same line. With Drudkh it's just some songs... Slavland's upbeatness seem to be more due the folk parts, not much on the black metal riffs per se

@Stormm: Yeah, I already knew about Totale Vernichtung and they're totally fun. That's too bad you don't remember the name of the band, if you ever do plz tell me ^.^

The_Apex_of_Collapse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 1:47 pm 

I am not sure if this has been mentioned yet so apologies if it has, but Obsequiae have a follow up to their 2011 release coming out on the 26th of this month. The album is called 'Aria Of Vernal Tombs' and you can hear three songs on the labels bandcamp page http://listen.20buckspin.com/album/aria-of-vernal-tombs-2 I was a huge fan of their first album and this continues with the unique sound they created. I pre-ordered right before posting this.

Cheers

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:22 pm 

I'm looking for more "orthodox"/experimental black metal from the UK (maybe Scotland?) maybe more in the vein of the Icelandic scene. Stuff like Svartidaudi, Sinamara, Misþyrming, Carpe Noctem, etc. I find that most UK black metal is more of the folk black metal variety, and while I love that too, I want to find something different. Thanks!

FYI I know Antinomian/Subvertio Deus and that snot quite what I'm looking for.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:17 pm 

MouthBreather wrote:

I feel like you'd probably like a lot of the stuff on this guys channel. https://www.youtube.com/user/XOdiumNostrumX/videos

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 6:23 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
You guys who dig that raw, triumphant/melancholic sort of black metal that the Finns are so good at might get a kick out of this Basque band, Owl's Blood.

Yeah, Owl's Blood is good. I was really bummed I missed the LP.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:32 pm 

Necroghast wrote:
I'm looking for more "orthodox"/experimental black metal from the UK (maybe Scotland?) maybe more in the vein of the Icelandic scene. Stuff like Svartidaudi, Sinamara, Misþyrming, Carpe Noctem, etc. I find that most UK black metal is more of the folk black metal variety, and while I love that too, I want to find something different. Thanks!

Well, these guys aren't really musically similar to the stuff you mentioned, but Inconcessus Lux Lucis are sort of experimental black metal with a definite orthodox BM aesthetic. Musically, though, they sound kind of like Negative Plane if that band wrote better riffs and songs, with a decent helping of more modern heavy metal infused Darkthrone thrown in for good measure. Good shit.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:49 am 

Necroghast wrote:

Have you heard Ninkharsag? They released a debut full-length this year. The music ranges from early Gorgoroth type melodic riffing to orthodoxy of some description. Not a typical UK black metal band.

flightoficarus86
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:36 am 

shameless self-promotion

Last edited by iamntbatman on Sat May 23, 2015 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
read my blog!

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:35 pm 

as just kind of a general recommendation for anyone into Swedish black metal (*Sacramentum*), check out Fog (the defunct band from the US). Filled with ice-y, blasting riffs throughout. One of the few times a band does a split with Horna and they're actually better than them. On the split, at least. Overall, Finnish black metal is still #1 to me

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:59 pm 

The_Apex_of_Collapse wrote:
I am not sure if this has been mentioned yet so apologies if it has, but Obsequiae have a follow up to their 2011 release coming out on the 26th of this month. The album is called 'Aria Of Vernal Tombs' and you can hear three songs on the labels bandcamp page http://listen.20buckspin.com/album/aria-of-vernal-tombs-2 I was a huge fan of their first album and this continues with the unique sound they created. I pre-ordered right before posting this.

Cheers

Will second Apex here, fucking killer band. I was always a great fan of the debut too but I have been enjoying the new album even more. They really nailed their sound here and the additional harp pieces are perfect. This will def be one of my highlights this year.

Metal81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:20 pm 

Anyone know of any bands similar to the latest Gratzug?

I simply can't get enough of this style of black metal. I guess I would say it is melodic/atmospheric with both uplifting and melancholic parts, does that make any fucking sense?

Other bands that I feel come close are early Spite Extreme Wing, Mgla, Taake, Agmen, Imperium Dekadenz, Vallendusk and the like.

Even if something does not exactly match that Gratzug please share, I am open to anything that falls into the atmospheric realm and am having trouble finding new stuff right now.

Cheers!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 8:42 pm 

Definitely check out Virvatulet, who Gratzug did a split with. Gratzug are cool but Virvatulet are flawless if you ask me. Can't wait for more material from them.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:00 pm 

Yeah, Virvatulet is like fucking perfect. I pestered them about when to expect the debut album and they said they'd finished a few tracks, so hopefully soon!

You should also check out these guys:

Sad - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukYG0deTUN8
Shores of Ladon - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-55cJb1lOcQ
Owl's Blood - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRYo5fIPz8U

Bunch o' stuff like that mate!

Metal81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:07 am 

Thanks!

I actually recently acquired that Viratulet split but have yet to listen to it, I will make sure that's the next album I take on.

@MonumentalBlackArt, those recs are great, thanks! I particularly liked the Owl's Blood track but am doing a deeper dive into all 3 discographies.

Cheers!

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 1:17 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Well, these guys aren't really musically similar to the stuff you mentioned, but Inconcessus Lux Lucis are sort of experimental black metal with a definite orthodox BM aesthetic. Musically, though, they sound kind of like Negative Plane if that band wrote better riffs and songs, with a decent helping of more modern heavy metal infused Darkthrone thrown in for good measure. Good shit.

Ilwhyan wrote:
Have you heard Ninkharsag? They released a debut full-length this year. The music ranges from early Gorgoroth type melodic riffing to orthodoxy of some description. Not a typical UK black metal band.

Both not exactly what I'm looking for, but both really good. Definitely bookmarked. Found Haar the other day from Edinburgh, really good.

Metal81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:53 am 

As somewhat of an answer to my own inquiry/general suggestion, I recently came across Sentimen Beltza from Spain. Very similar to the Gratzug/Virvatulet stuff and quite good.

Motorpriest
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:42 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:

Oh man, I really love this. Mind you, everything you recommend is pure gold so I can't say I'm surprised. Thanks for posting this.

Mattycakes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:35 am 

Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice... black metal perfected in my opinion... anyone know of albums like it?

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:12 pm 

There have been seemingly dozens and dozens that follow the style. Bad and good examples exist of course, one of the latter being the excellent debut by Rex Mundi. I thought Ignis Haereticum's recent album attained some of the same sense of scale as well.

Mattycakes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:40 am 

sushiman wrote:
There have been seemingly dozens and dozens that follow the style. Bad and good examples exist of course, one of the latter being the excellent debut by Rex Mundi. I thought Ignis Haereticum's recent album attained some of the same sense of scale as well.

Yeah I already discovered Rex Mundi... Ignis Haereticum is new to me though... I'll check them out, thanks.

Can anybody think of any more quality albums inspired by SMRC?

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 1:46 pm 

Can anybody recommend me some good, recent, raw black metal? I haven't heard a lot of this stuff, so any obvious recs are welcome. Maybe something similar to Nattens Madrigal. I would prefer albums with a duration of 30 minutes or more.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:24 pm 

I think some of you guys here might get some enjoyment out the latest Dunkelheit (hun) album. Long melancholic streams of (good!) tremolo riffs, a hefty dose of melody, a dash of hate, and pretty good production.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148 ... 231  Next