* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:39 am 

ApparatusUnearth wrote:
I'm really new to black metal.
I'm familiar with Darkthrone, Mayhem, and I know most of the more popular American black metal bands too.

I'm not into symphonic stuff at all.

What would you guys recommend as like absolute must-listens?

Everyone is going to simply tell you their personal favourites and say everyone else's aren't really essential. What did you like the most from Mayhem and Darkthrone? We might be able to help you find something at least slightly similar.

FleshMonolith is right about one band though: don't miss out on Gorgoroth. Don't let the popular opinion tarnish the image of the band. Their first three albums were all masterpieces. I can never understand why some people like Pentagram and Under The Sign of Hell so much more than Antichrist. I consider the sophomore superior to the debut, at least. Being too short is it's biggest issue.

moongoddess666:

That kind of stuff is exactly what I don't listen to much in black metal (aside from Todtgelichter's first two). You might want to check out some German bands like Graupel, Verdunkeln and I especially recommend Malus. If you liked the same things in Belenos that I did, you should check out Arckanum. Start with ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ, then return to some of the earlier albums perhaps. Also check out Mgła, they're extremely hyped here so chances are you'll like it aswell. :P

Ever listened to The Ruins of Beverast?

VaeFUCKINGVictus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:20 pm 

Hey guys, I'm trying to remember a particular symphonic "black" metal band that was pretty popular a few years ago; over-the-top synths and fast guitarwork, very cheesy songs in general whose covers featured big, colorful space warriors and monsters as the main motif. All of their songs were about epic space battles I believe.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:01 pm 

VaeFUCKINGVictus wrote:
Hey guys, I'm trying to remember a particular symphonic "black" metal band that was pretty popular a few years ago; over-the-top synths and fast guitarwork, very cheesy songs in general whose covers featured big, colorful space warriors and monsters as the main motif. All of their songs were about epic space battles I believe.

Bal-Sagoth?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:39 pm 

If it's not them, there's more to fear in the world...

VaeFUCKINGVictus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:05 am 

androdion wrote:
VaeFUCKINGVictus wrote:

Bal-Sagoth?

YES. Thank you.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:32 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:

:lol: At least we agree on something.

moongoddess666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:52 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
ApparatusUnearth wrote:
I'm familiar with Darkthrone, Mayhem, and I know most of the more popular American black metal bands too.

Everyone is going to simply tell you their personal favourites and say everyone else's aren't really essential. What did you like the most from Mayhem and Darkthrone? We might be able to help you find something at least slightly similar.

FleshMonolith is right about one band though: don't miss out on Gorgoroth. Don't let the popular opinion tarnish the image of the band. Their first three albums were all masterpieces. I can never understand why some people like Pentagram and Under The Sign of Hell so much more than Antichrist. I consider the sophomore superior to the debut, at least. Being too short is it's biggest issue.

moongoddess666:

That kind of stuff is exactly what I don't listen to much in black metal (aside from Todtgelichter's first two). You might want to check out some German bands like Graupel, Verdunkeln and I especially recommend Malus. If you liked the same things in Belenos that I did, you should check out Arckanum. Start with ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ, then return to some of the earlier albums perhaps. Also check out Mgła, they're extremely hyped here so chances are you'll like it aswell. :P

Ever listened to The Ruins of Beverast?

I have Graupel's Am Pranger. Arckanum's ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ and Helvítismyrkr are my two favorite albums by him. I also have Mgla's album Groza. Glad to see someone who likes these bands as well. Checking into Verdunkeln and Malus. Thanks for the recommendations! \m/

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:44 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:

:lol: At least we agree on something.

I really laughed when I read John's reply. :D

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:15 pm 

moongoddess666: Am Pranger is definitely the better album. I didn't like the debut as much, although I may not have given it a decent chance.

If you're into some tastefully avant-gardist stuff, or post-black metal if you will, check out Jumalhämärä. The full-length combines Neurosis-esque anxiety, post-rock atmospherics and sinister black metal style quite delightfully at best.

VaeFUCKINGVictus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:33 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:

HAHA. Yes, I THOUGHT I was in the mood for some extra cheesy metal-I thought I could handle it, alas, I lasted all but one minute.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:56 pm 

Oh man. I cracked up as well at John_Sunlight's remark. Haha :D

Anyway, I have a serious question for those who are avid listeners of Inquisition. I've been gorging on 'Ominous Doctrines' for many months now. I also got into 'Nefarious Dismal Orations', their second last album. I actually didn't have any problems getting into their music and find it highly enjoyable. Maybe, accessible is the word? Anyway, there are three other full lengths of theirs...can someone recommend which one to pick up next and if you can describe how the albums are different, it would be really helpful for me!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:09 pm 

ApparatusUnearth wrote:

MUST listens:

Sargeist - Let the Devil in
Urgehal - Ikonoklast and Goatcraft Torment
Lutomysl - Decadence and everything after
Besatt - Black Mass

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:23 pm 

Dooders wrote:
Wodensthrone are fantastic! Folkvang are good, but they don't fit what I am looking for in this case.
Thanks again.

I'm glad you liked them :headbang:

c_zar
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:15 am 

shouvince wrote:
can someone recommend which one to pick up next and if you can describe how the albums are different, it would be really helpful for me!

I've been into Inquisition for a while and seen them live and feel that they have never topped, nor matched Invoking the Majestic Throne of Satan. Into the Infernal Regions is their second best--- the albums you know are decent, but a little more oriented toward speed and strange chords, whereas Invoking is pure black hymnal glory, both catchier and moodier. Really better in all ways, but less intense than Ominous & Nefarious.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:23 pm 

c_zar wrote:
shouvince wrote:
can someone recommend which one to pick up next and if you can describe how the albums are different, it would be really helpful for me!

I've been into Inquisition for a while and seen them live and feel that they have never topped, nor matched Invoking the Majestic Throne of Satan. Into the Infernal Regions is their second best--- the albums you know are decent, but a little more oriented toward speed and strange chords, whereas Invoking is pure black hymnal glory, both catchier and moodier. Really better in all ways, but less intense than Ominous & Nefarious.

Thanks for the brief comparison man. I'll get 'Invoking The Majestic...' as soon as possible.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:31 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:

pff, Bal Sagoth totally rules! Their albums from 1996 - 2001 are more than pure gold!
The epitome of epicness. Sublime music. Over the top and the best one can get!

There's a a slight chance I might sound like a fanboy. Possibly I am one :D

Blodu ok Jarna!

Indoomstrial metle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:26 pm 

I'm a fan of Leviathan, anyone know any bands similar to that one?

MGSX666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:26 am 

I'm looking for traditionalist black metal with a Pagan spirit and similar production to the last Sargeist or Taake albums. Use of feedback and/or flutes (sparingly though) would be a plus.
Incantation for breakfast, fuck yeah. You wake up and then it's Onward to Chocula.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:36 am 

MGSX666 wrote:
I'm looking for traditionalist black metal with a Pagan spirit and similar production to the last Sargeist or Taake albums. Use of feedback and/or flutes (sparingly though) would be a plus.

Maybe Kroda's latest album?

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Kr ... fad/307821

Delduwath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:33 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
ApparatusUnearth wrote:

MUST listens:

Urgehal - Ikonoklast and Goatcraft Torment

Seconded.

nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:26 pm 

I'm looking for bands that are similar to Oranssi Pazuzu. I can't find anyone that even comes close to them. I love the whole psychedelic feel of their albums. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Also, I've been playing the album Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite by TROB nonstop the past few days, anything similar to this album also would be appreciated.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:34 pm 

Maybe later Furze? Not as dense as Oranssi. But it's pretty out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi8EmObIvks

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Panflute
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:48 am 

When trying to reply to a post and give recommendations, I get this message:

Quote:
Error 404
Page not found

We are sorry, the page index/legacy you were looking for could not be found. Perhaps the entry has been deleted, or is still pending moderation approval.

If you followed a link from an external site, it was most likely out of date. If you followed a link from within the site and believe this is an error, please report the dead URL below immediately. (Make sure to tell us where you clicked to end up on this page.)
posting.php?mode=reply&f=11&t=66086

Thank you for your comprehension.

So uhm, help?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:07 am 

nosferatu1234 wrote:
Also, I've been playing the album Foulest Semen of a Sheltered Elite by TROB nonstop the past few days, anything similar to this album also would be appreciated.

Good luck with that. There's a myriad of names people throw around to similar-to-TROB requests, but no other band I've ever heard comes close to sounding like that. Such varied, sprawling and uniquely bizarre compositions.

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:40 am 

Although not similair but I got the feeling that TROB looked quite a bit to Disembowelment - Transendence into the Peripheral when he made FSoaSE. This is more death/doom but it has (to me) a similair esoteric and churning sense. Long compositions with the occasional otherwordly passage. You probably heard of it already and I cannot name anything black related that sounds like TROB.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:07 am 

A large amount of TROB's uniqueness comes from Meilenwald's style of melody writing, which Disembowelment obviously lacks. But it's not unlikely that someone who enjoys Foulest Semen will enjoy Disembowelment aswell.

ketreeh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:14 pm 

nosferatu1234 wrote:

I guess you have already tried Nagelfar, Verdunkeln, Graupel, Kermania, Ego Noir
Not sure if "Das Leben vor dem Tod" by Simple ExistenZ is what are you looking for, but I am a big fan of Nagelfar and all the others members projects, and I really enjoy this album

nosferatu1234
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:20 pm 

Hymnofwolves wrote:
Although not similair but I got the feeling that TROB looked quite a bit to Disembowelment - Transendence into the Peripheral when he made FSoaSE. This is more death/doom but it has (to me) a similair esoteric and churning sense. Long compositions with the occasional otherwordly passage. You probably heard of it already and I cannot name anything black related that sounds like TROB.

Yeah I already know of Disembowelment and absolutely love their album. Thanks for the recommendation anyway. Does anyone know anything about TROB's current status? Anything coming soon?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:22 pm 

Later interviews from von Meilenwald all indicate that he's an extremely busy person, to the point of not having time to practice playing the guitar, so I wouldn't expect anything in a while.

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:46 pm 

He is going to perform live this year as well. One show at roadburn (I will be there!) and one show at deathkult open air. I wonder if more shows will be confirmed.. For the rest I wouldn't know

Fifeldor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:10 am 

Hey all

Due to personal life issues, I've been away from the music for the past 18-24 months. I've been searching for the good (and the best) releases of the past two years lately and obviously this is the right place to ask.

Can you please drop a few bands whose latest releases I should totally check out? I don't care about genre or politics or anything, just good, pure black metal. I'm listening to Natur by Kaevum right now, and I really want to like the music again.

Regards

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:58 pm 

Fifeldor wrote:
Hey all

Due to personal life issues, I've been away from the music for the past 18-24 months. I've been searching for the good (and the best) releases of the past two years lately and obviously this is the right place to ask.

Can you please drop a few bands whose latest releases I should totally check out? I don't care about genre or politics or anything, just good, pure black metal. I'm listening to Natur by Kaevum right now, and I really want to like the music again.

Regards

Kaevum is pretty good indeed.

Some newer albums in that vein that I enjoyed:

Nattfog - Mustan Auringon Riitti (now, I didn't enjoy this that much, but it's undoubtedly similar to Kaevum)
Tortorum - Exctinctionist (also with tangential similarities to Kaevum, less epic though)
Saligia - Sic Transit Gloria Mundi (no-frills black metal with some pretty anthemic stuff)
Aptorian Demon - Libertus (dark and evil)
Blodhemn - Holmengraa (starts as a little stale, but gets better towards the end)
Charnel Winds - Der Teufelsbund (a little experimental, but with some great traditional tremolo riffs)
Shaidar Logoth - Chapter I: The Peddler (epic and atmospheric, but not the least bit saccharine)

These are all somewhat raw like Kaevum, but there are no overly harsh productions. They may not be melodically similar, but many aim for a certain atmosphere, and all of them value a sense of melody in black metal to some degree, just as Kaevum.

If you really like that melodic stuff... (these are slightly older releases)
Teloch - Descent/Ascend
Sarath - Siste Indre

Again, raw enough not to be obnoxious with those melodies, like Kaevum, but more melodic.

Kadotus released a new album in 2011, Vaienneet Temppelit. Also, Flagellant is coming up with a new album this year. Check that out, and check out these bands' debuts if you haven't. Also, one of my favourite Finns, Phlegein, is coming up with their first full-length! Fucking ace.

IanThrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:58 pm 

Fifeldor wrote:
Hey all

Regards

ill drop a few names that you may want to check

Xanthochroid-Blessed He With Boils (one of the best of 2012, if you dig old Emperor mixed with some Opeth this is the real deal)
Caranch Angren-Where the Corpses Sink Forever
Taake-Noregs Vaapen (outstanding)
Folkvang-Six Stories Without Keys (some of the best black folk since Ulvers debut)
Sorcier des Glaces-Snowland MMXII
Dordeduh-Dar De Duh
Velnias-Rune Eater

Dude: If you tour, will you bring out other musicians? Use tapes? Clone yourselves?

Fenriz: I am up for cloning, but with less tinnitus and more chest hair, please.

Film reviews and rants for all ye' spanish speaking basterds

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:44 am 

I have just began listening to German black metal band Regnum last night. And I adore its unique dark and evil atmosphere.

Could anyone recommend me a band or album or anything that has similar sound to a song like this by Regnum? Pretty much anything off of the Dem Entwirklichten album. I know Deathspell Omega, Xasthur and Blut aus Nord have similar dark/evil atmospheres like this, too. But Dem Entwirklichten is just.......really interesting.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

moongoddess666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:34 am 

Could anyone recommend any songs that are similar to this one? One of my favorites by DSO, I love that it is grim, heavy, experimental and has good melody as well as production quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM9PUegDRz8

Or perhaps anything that is similar to this song? I love the heavy, audible bass and atmosphere of it. I'm not sure how else to say it, but this song has such a funky rhythm...I'm thinking there has to be some awesome songs with the same qualities that draw me to these songs in particular out there that I haven't heard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A6lbSkelyk

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Please and thank you! \m/

moongoddess666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:27 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
moongoddess666: Am Pranger is definitely the better album. I didn't like the debut as much, although I may not have given it a decent chance.

If you're into some tastefully avant-gardist stuff, or post-black metal if you will, check out Jumalhämärä. The full-length combines Neurosis-esque anxiety, post-rock atmospherics and sinister black metal style quite delightfully at best.

The song Ecstasy in Blood - A Ballad by Jumalhmr was great. I'm looking more into their work, thanks allot dude I appreciate it. \m/

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:47 pm 

NJMike wrote:
I have just began listening to German black metal band Regnum last night. And I adore its unique dark and evil atmosphere.

Could anyone recommend me a band or album or anything that has similar sound to a song like this by Regnum? Pretty much anything off of the Dem Entwirklichten album. I know Deathspell Omega, Xasthur and Blut aus Nord have similar dark/evil atmospheres like this, too. But Dem Entwirklichten is just.......really interesting.

You may enjoy Vhernen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn5jRkDrhwY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg_VcqjiuSY

Also...

Midnight Odyssey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZPDk3jbio4

Hope you can enjoy these.

VincentVanGone
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:42 pm 

I've just now been getting into stuff like Deathspell Omega and Blut aus Nord. Anyone have recommendations for experimental, otherworldly bands?

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:20 am 

Try Way to End - Desecrated Internal Journey

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:54 am 

Malthus wrote:
NJMike wrote:

You may enjoy Vhernen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn5jRkDrhwY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg_VcqjiuSY

Also...

Midnight Odyssey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZPDk3jbio4

Hope you can enjoy these.

sounds good, kind of like a more up beat Xasthur

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 231  Next