Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:04 pm 

Worthless_Dream wrote:
Anyone wanna recommend some black/heavy metal? It doesn't really need to be with clean vocals or anything just in a way that the heavy metal influence is noticeable, you know stuff like Grand Belial's Key or Denial of God?

Is this to your liking, sir?

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:35 am 

Worthless_Dream wrote:
Anyone wanna recommend some black/heavy metal? It doesn't really need to be with clean vocals or anything just in a way that the heavy metal influence is noticeable, you know stuff like Grand Belial's Key or Denial of God?

Countess

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:18 am 

Hard to think of bands that sound like GBK. They blend their influences in a pretty unique fashion.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:10 am 

Fuck, I might even say Totenburg's Endzeit is somewhat very in some aspects. Normally I don't want to recommend overtly racist crap, but that album is simply very good.

I downloaded that album half jokingly, and it turned out to be excellent musically. If someone wants to make me feel better, recommend me stuff that sounds like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCDgsfEe7AY

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:18 pm 

Ilwhyan, that's excellent stuff! Stahlfront sounds a bit similar in places but it's also NSBM so that's probably not what you're looking for. Really cool album and not openly racist/anti-Semitic (or at least less so than Totenburg seems to be) so it might be more acceptable to you. But thanks for bringing this band up! Very cool.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:45 pm 

New Khold is all the buttrockin' bm i coulda asked for and more. the troops of doom cover is cool too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOIqeNF-ZNg

feel free to suggest any more black n'roll that doesn't suck like Kveltark or whatever.

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:15 am 

Worthless_Dream wrote:

Maybe Hellward?

Serenityinaz12
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:38 pm 

Open to some suggestions of bands similar in sound and style to Nehemah

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:34 pm 

Worthless_Dream wrote:

They were already mentioned in the previous page, but check out Filii Nigrantium Infernalium.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:51 pm 

God that Hellward track kicks ass! Thanks for the heads up. :)

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:10 pm 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:

Your welcome Jimmy :)

And while we are on the subject, does any of you think this sounds like Venom's 'Prime Evil' with the riffs reversed!?

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:50 pm 

Those guys definitely channel the spirit of Venom, big time. Which reminds me, I still need 'Welcome to Hell' and 'Black Metal' on vinyl...

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:57 am 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:

Yeah that was awesome

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:38 pm 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
Those guys definitely channel the spirit of Venom, big time. Which reminds me, I still need 'Welcome to Hell' and 'Black Metal' on vinyl...

Haha sorry I might have worded that a bit wrong, if you listen to the Hellward track above and then listen to the track 'Pime Evil' by Venom they sound so similar but totally different if you get me. Not a coincidence i am sure! Sorry incase you guys thought I was referring to the whole album.

Must say I always fucking loved that Venom track, its been a while....

@ Sick6Six - glad you enjoyed them bro, its a good cd. The guy behind it has a few other quality bands to check out namely Midwinter and Varuna. I particularly enjoy the Varuna album it has a nice 'space' vibe if you get me, check it out. Just wish he would get round to part 2 as he had planned on a trilogy.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:37 pm 

Looking for stuff like The Haunting Presence. Reverb drenched vocals, oppressive and fetid atmosphere, and rough production. Big bonus if it includes more "yelled" vocal style like in the second track.

https://crepusculonegro.bandcamp.com/tr ... of-unknown

https://crepusculonegro.bandcamp.com/tr ... ess-masses

As a disclaimer, I know all the Black Twilight Bands, NwN's, HHR's, and Iron Bonehead's catalog, the classics from Finland and Canada, etc. Not looking for anything as polished or death metally as Antedilluvian/Portal, etc.

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:22 pm 

^Sorry not really an answer to your question, but how many of you have ever listened to the Sargeist - Tyranny Returns demo? I've had it since it came out and almost never listened to it... I remember it sounding really bad to me years ago (my stereo sucked at the time too so that didn't help) but I'm listening to it again now for the first time since then and It's pretty damn good. Nice precursor to the first full-length with an even more raw atmosphere, but sounds like Sargeist at heart.

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:11 pm 

Worthless_Dream wrote:

Vreid. They don't use their hard rock/'eavy me'al influences towards the same musical aims as GBK do, but the influence is still certainly there. Their album V is one of my favourites.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:18 am 

GBK (on 'Mocking...' especially) have such a filthy, garage-punk sort of vibe that I find irresistible, boneheaded politics or no. Sounds as if they came of age on a steady diet of Motorhead, Venom, Negative Approach, and Attila C.'s old band Tormentor.

Here's an example for anyone not familiar:

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:26 am 

And as far as Sargeist, I would love a copy of the new album, but it's too damn expensive (thus far). Sorry, but I'm on a budget here. :(

Thamster
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:16 am 

For a band similar to and clearly inspired by Grand Belial's Key this band from my home city might interest you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WrQlkjmJLs

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:57 am 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
And as far as Sargeist, I would love a copy of the new album, but it's too damn expensive (thus far). Sorry, but I'm on a budget here. :(

http://ominous-domain.com/shop/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=f951dc7483fadc5123dadab4fa65b740&keywords=sargeist&osCsid=f951dc7483fadc5123dadab4fa65b740&x=0&y=0
14$ for CD or 21 for vinyl, not bad, it was a lot more getting shipped from WTC
Edit: BTW if you don't know this distro is awesome, sometimes they just give me one of my items for free, class act place :thumbsup:

Serenityinaz12
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:16 pm 

Looking for bands similar in style to Craft

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:16 pm 

Hey Stormm, did you happen to check out Aurvandil's Thrones? Man, that album has really grown on me, to the point where I'm thinking it's better than Yearning! It's more mature in terms of dynamics but it does take a few spins to sink in.

For those who care I'll leave the full album stream link here: http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured ... s-thrones/

Don't listen to the leaked version that's floating around, it's the tape rip and it sounds like shit!

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:30 pm 

Awesome, thanks!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:45 pm 

androdion wrote:
Hey Stormm, did you happen to check out Aurvandil's Thrones? Man, that album has really grown on me, to the point where I'm thinking it's better than Yearning! It's more mature in terms of dynamics but it does take a few spins to sink in.

For those who care I'll leave the full album stream link here: http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured ... s-thrones/

Don't listen to the leaked version that's floating around, it's the tape rip and it sounds like shit!

Cheers drodi. I have it but have yet to give it an in depth listen apart from a track or two. As you say I think it will take a few listens to sink in. Would I be right in saying it is less atmospheric and more repeative than Yearing? The tracks did sound good!

@ Sick6Six Did you manage to listen to the new Gratzug album? A damn fine release as expected, think it would be right up your alley.

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:30 pm 

STORMM wrote:
Jimmy Calhoun wrote:

Your welcome Jimmy :)

And while we are on the subject, does any of you think this sounds like Venom's 'Prime Evil' with the riffs reversed!?

I would have believed that was a cover of Prime Evil if you told me it was!

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:58 pm 

STORMM wrote:
androdion wrote:

Cheers drodi. I have it but have yet to give it an in depth listen apart from a track or two. As you say I think it will take a few listens to sink in. Would I be right in saying it is less atmospheric and more repeative than Yearing? The tracks did sound good!

I wouldn't say it's less atmospheric, but the albums do work in different settings so to speak. Yearning has a clearer production job, with a more defined guitar sound that mainly drives the album between mid-paced and semi-fast tremolo riffs. Thrones on the other hand only works in two speeds, the mid-paced acoustic intros on the songs and full-on blasting. It's definitely more repetitive, like Ferd was, but with a better sense of flow and more intense dynamic changes in terms of both pace and melody.

I was kind of glued on Yearning from the start, like I told you it had that Dark Medieval Times-ish vibe that mixed folk and icy black metal that I rapidly became fond of. But after giving several spins to Thrones I began noticing just how well written it actually is, even the nearly 20 minute long behemoth that is "Summon The Storms". It's interesting because the album has this pagan feel but without resorting to the tricks of pagan black metal, but that folk/runic kind of vibe is actually very present in the music.

It's definitely a grower, that's for sure. :)

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:54 pm 

STORMM wrote:

@ Sick6Six Did you manage to listen to the new Gratzug album? A damn fine release as expected, think it would be right up your alley.

I think I downloaded it but haven't really listened yet. I'll give it a listen soon when I'm off this aggressive kick

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:22 pm 

Thamster wrote:
For a band similar to and clearly inspired by Grand Belial's Key this band from my home city might interest you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WrQlkjmJLs

Kickass! I'll have to keep these guys in mind.

ClicheUsername
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:30 am 

Hey there,
I am looking for dark, shamanic sounding black metal not too dissimilar to Arckanum.

Wulkanaz and Nåstrond are great examples of the sound I am looking for here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh7yUCJ-uvc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXta7ugHkno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rULFvg6vpfk

Last edited by ClicheUsername on Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:31 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
STORMM wrote:

I think I downloaded it but haven't really listened yet. I'll give it a listen soon when I'm off this aggressive kick

Yeah do so I think its Gratzug's best release yet. While you are on this kick have you checked out the debut from Vredehammer 'Vinteroffer'? If not do so now, I think you will love it, quite a vicious release to say the least, excelllent songwriting and musicianship, highly recommended. (As long as you dont mind a bit of thrash and death thrown into the mix)

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Vr ... fer/404765

@androdion You love your death metal bro so I also highly recommended you check out the above album too. It is slowly creeping into my end of year list. A powerful listen to say the least. Also thanks for the good link for Aurvandil I plan to listen to again over the weekend!

Last edited by STORMM on Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:25 am 

Will do mate. ;)

PS: It seems Vinteroffer isn't that far off from what Svart Crown has been doing recently is it? At least a cursory listen seems to indicate that.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:31 pm 

Vredehammer sounds pretty good so far, as for Gratzug I thought you were talking about Marter, just noticed they have another new one already!

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:11 pm 

What is it about the state of Bavaria, that makes it such a fertile region for black metal? Lots of forests? ;-)

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:39 pm 

Hey guys, is there black metal with core vocals? *hides*
I mean, those screamo vocals you get on core bands. Closest I can think of is some things by Krallice but still not core-ish enough

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:36 pm 

Karlabos wrote:
Hey guys, is there black metal with core vocals? *hides*
I mean, those screamo vocals you get on core bands. Closest I can think of is some things by Krallice but still not core-ish enough

Kult ov Azazel, kind of. Oculus Infernum is my favorite.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:03 am 

I've had Vinteroffer for a while now and I listen to it pretty often. Listening to it now...the riffing and the soloing on this album is just amazing. Vredehammer are highly recommended.

Like your reviews?

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:45 am 

mjollnir wrote:
I've had Vinteroffer for a while now and I listen to it pretty often. Listening to it now...the riffing and the soloing on this album is just amazing. Vredehammer are highly recommended.

Agree 100% mjollnir.

@androdion - similar to Svart Crown alright androdion, but better ;)

Frostpunk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:55 am 

Hello, I posted this thread already apparently on the wrong board. But I'm quite unused to these forums

I'm looking for some traditional medieval black metal. By that I mean not something like summoning or not something with cletic instruments but rather metal with stereotypical medieval music. When you think of knights and epic fights for example "hardcore middle ages party" on youtube but mixed with metal. With instruments such as a lute a harpsichord etc. Not really like king diamon, a bit more traditional.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:24 am 

Frostpunk wrote:
Hello, I posted this thread already apparently on the wrong board. But I'm quite unused to these forums

I'm looking for some traditional medieval black metal. By that I mean not something like summoning or not something with cletic instruments but rather metal with stereotypical medieval music. When you think of knights and epic fights for example "hardcore middle ages party" on youtube but mixed with metal. With instruments such as a lute a harpsichord etc. Not really like king diamon, a bit more traditional.

Are you familiar with Nerthus Frostpunk? If not they should be exactly what you are looking for, Black Medieval Art is probably their most popular release.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Nerthus/5279

This request also screams out Jaldaboath (if you dont mind a bit of comedy) but they are not black metal so may not be to your liking.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138 ... 231  Next