Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:14 pm 

I've never heard John Zorn, but he sure does interfere with searching for the black metal band who's name he stole and made it his last! But um yeah apparently zorn means "wrath" which is cool, but you should definitely check them out more. I like Menschenfeind II the best probably, then it's a toss up between the new one and Menschenfeind I. First album has some more "melancholic" songs actually.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:20 am 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
Ash Borer, Woman Is the Earth, maybe some Blut Aus Nord (e.g. 'Dialogue With the Stars')...

he's talking about the newest wolves album, so none of those bands are relevant.

bloodycumshit wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this, it just didn't seem right for the black metal thread. I was looking for some bands similar to Wolves in the throne room - celestial

that album isn't metal at all(which im guessing you know), it's basically kosmiche synth worship. theres a lot of ambient dudes who've been doing that kinda sound for a while, like emeralds or steve hauschildt. these guys didn't come from nowhere though, they're basing their sound on older synth music from the 80s, like software or even older stuff like tangerine dream or klaus schulze. you'll notice all the older names are german, thats because it came out of the berlin school. that article has most of the big names in that style and i'm sure you can find more with the info i've given.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:44 pm 

http://bandcamp.fallenempirerecords.com/album/endlichkeit-i-ii

Endlichkeit is very nice pastoral, but still cold, melancholic and inhospitable black metal from (apparently) the Czech Republic. Three of their demos are on the Fallen Empire Records Bandcamp, although for some reason no-one seems to be talking about them! Should really fit requests for Ildjarn and Judas Iscariot stuff.

For Ilwhyan's request, while I'm usually more on the Negator/Endstille/Ascension etc side of German black metal, I did go through a massive Wolfsmond thing some years ago, and I reckon Eternity could be another band from here you'd dig. Helrunar is another I didn't give as much time as I maybe should have, but for atmosphere and melancholy it could be in the right area.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:16 pm 

is there anything out there that sounds like the first absurd album? i dig the simple punk influenced song structures and the guitar tone is really cool, but their later stuff is much more conventional black metal.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:17 pm 

I downloaded this album long time ago for some reason, but only recently I found it hidden somewhere in my computer, and since then I've been playing it constantly. Could someone rec me something similar to this?

Southern Freeze
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:55 pm 

bug_man wrote:
Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
Ash Borer, Woman Is the Earth, maybe some Blut Aus Nord (e.g. 'Dialogue With the Stars')...

he's talking about the newest wolves album, so none of those bands are relevant.

bloodycumshit wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this, it just didn't seem right for the black metal thread. I was looking for some bands similar to Wolves in the throne room - celestial

that album isn't metal at all(which im guessing you know), it's basically kosmiche synth worship. theres a lot of ambient dudes who've been doing that kinda sound for a while, like emeralds or steve hauschildt. these guys didn't come from nowhere though, they're basing their sound on older synth music from the 80s, like software or even older stuff like tangerine dream or klaus schulze. you'll notice all the older names are german, thats because it came out of the berlin school. that article has most of the big names in that style and i'm sure you can find more with the info i've given.

your right, getting recs for bands like the original WITTR would be way to easy, thanks for the recs

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:34 pm 

bug_man wrote:
Jimmy Calhoun wrote:

My bad, I thought he was talking about 'Celestial Lineage'... :facepalm:

thewayiam
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:54 pm 

I'm looking for any really good true black metal bands that don't have any lyrics to do with religion, satanism, anti-religion, etc and about different things. i'm not Christian but i like black metal bands that have lyrics similar to what was on Satyricon's debut or Immortal's lyrics. Anything about mythology, war, darkness, nature, horror, winter, etc will work.

PS: Don't suggest any unblack metal bands. I'm not searching for that type of music.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:56 am 

Setherial, although their lyrics were a little more Satan-oriented later on, were closer to Immortal-esque "dark winter fantasy/mythology" type lyrics on 'Nord' - as far as I can tell anyway, because most of it is in Swedish - and that album is pretty much essential for BM fans no matter what. Get it if you don't have it already.

Graveland, reactionary politics aside, have tended to focus on "mythology, war, ...nature, ...winter" in most of their lyrics, aside from a bit of Satanism/anti-religion early on circa 'In the Glare of Burning Churches' (self-explanatory title I suppose :P). Not overly familiar with their extensive catalog, but I remember 'Immortal Pride' and 'Following the Voice of Blood' being especially good.

For a more obscure example, check out Ash Pool from the U.S. Their lyrics can be somewhat occult-oriented at times, but I haven't come across any cliched "hail Satan" type bullshit. Overall, definitely one of the better new-ish BM bands I've heard - though be warned that their sound is quite lo-fi.

Wudeliguhi is another fairly new USBM project, more on the depressive/anti-life side both musically and lyrically - and also a one-man project, albeit far better than a lot of the "bedroom BM" stuff out there. Incidentally, the same guy forms half of Rituals of A Blasphemer along with his Mexican wife. I haven't heard Wudeliguhi's new album yet, but I just picked up a copy of his first one super-cheap from a Deathgasm Records sale on EBay.

I can probably think of a few more, given a little time. :)

Lowtide85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:31 pm 

Jimmy: I listened to Pentagram and really dug their sound, I can see how it relates to thrash, death and black. Thanks for the rec!

Now, if it's possible I'd like to know if there are more bands that sound like this collaboration between Nychts and Mortualia (I think it's some sort of space/cosmic Black Metal):

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:41 pm 

^
Alrakis and Lustre should suit you well, although they're not exactly like that N&M album.

Lowtide85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:49 pm 

I'm already acquainted with Lustre but Alrakis I never heard of so I'll check it out, thanks a lot!

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:34 pm 

Not familiar with the Nychts/Mortualia co-album, but other atmospheric, space themed black metal acts are Darkspace (duh), Xothist, Mare Cognitum, Spectral Lore, and Aureole.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:43 am 

Someday I'll have to try and start collecting all these "epic/experimental black metal" double-CD albums - Spectral Lore, Elysian Blaze, etc. etc.

Rasc
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:44 am 

I'll get more into those space themed black metal bands. One outside black metal that is really good is Saturn Form Essence, a dark ambient project from Fjordsson (Moloch).

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:41 pm 

Not to toot my own horn or anything, but since pretty much everything that's super cool in that spacey, synthy BM vein has already pretty much been mentioned (except for maybe the brilliant Midnight Odyssey!), I gotta plug my own band just a teeny bit! Coma Void, in my signature. Get the album fo' free. More like Lustre than anything else I guess, but a bit more doomy than ambient and with more dynamics that have a post-rock influence.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:06 am 

asking again since I think it got lost among other posts before - is there anything out there that sounds like the first Absurd album? Their later stuff is much more conventional black metal but that first album is really unusual sounding.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:47 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Not to toot my own horn or anything, but since pretty much everything that's super cool in that spacey, synthy BM vein has already pretty much been mentioned (except for maybe the brilliant Midnight Odyssey!), I gotta plug my own band just a teeny bit! Coma Void, in my signature. Get the album fo' free. More like Lustre than anything else I guess, but a bit more doomy than ambient and with more dynamics that have a post-rock influence.

Yes, Coma Void is good. I need to give that album another listen.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:49 pm 

bug_man wrote:
asking again since I think it got lost among other posts before - is there anything out there that sounds like the first Absurd album? Their later stuff is much more conventional black metal but that first album is really unusual sounding.

Search under genre for "black metal/RAC" and you'll probably find something to your liking.

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:04 pm 

Looking for some black metal along the lines of Taake, Kampfar, and Windir. Riff driven with maybe some folk influence, but without being straight up folk metal. Lyrics aren't the most important, but I find the pagan angle more interesting than satan.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:01 pm 

Not too many bands I know of fit that description, unfortunately. Angantyr should work for you. Give Forvist a shot. One of the tracks on that album has one of the greatest opening riffs ever. It's been a while since I gave it a spin myself - might have to do that tonight.

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:04 pm 

King_Hands wrote:
Looking for some black metal along the lines of Taake, Kampfar, and Windir. Riff driven with maybe some folk influence, but without being straight up folk metal. Lyrics aren't the most important, but I find the pagan angle more interesting than satan.

Maybe Sacrilegium from Poland? I once did a dj set where I played Sacrilegium track from their split with North (Pol). Someone even came to ask if the song was from Windir because it supposedly sounded very alike. I've never heard any Windir myself.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:28 am 

I don't remember who mentioned it, but I have to say that Draconis Infernum's The Sacrilegious Eradication is some absolutely ripping black metal the likes of which I haven't heard in a long while. Check it out! http://draconisinfernum.bandcamp.com/al ... radication

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:35 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I don't remember who mentioned it, but I have to say that Draconis Infernum's The Sacrilegious Eradication is some absolutely ripping black metal the likes of which I haven't heard in a long while. Check it out! http://draconisinfernum.bandcamp.com/al ... radication

Fucking great album. Make sure to check out the previous one, which didn't have Profanator yet on drums but has a similiar sound with a ton of memorable riffs.

I can never get enough of this one:

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:01 am 

This should be an easy request for you guys. There are tons of bands playing traditional, northern styled black metal. But I'm after the good, lesser known ones. Stuff like Inthyflesh, Cultus, Zwartplaag, Kaevum, etc. is what I'm after. There isn't exactly a shortage of bands playing in this style, but what are some good ones?

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:23 am 

I come back to Elite's first two albums quite often - Kampen has the atmosphere (http://youtu.be/7KMkNyAccVQ), Bifrost the attitude (http://youtu.be/yiI0uJoN1kc).

SSatanicSSatan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:25 pm 

I am looking for ritualistic Black Metal like Beherits Drawing Down the Moon album. I also like the band Udumbal and I don't think they sound that much like Beherit but they have the atmosphere I am looking for. I am not looking for bands that sound like early Beherit, Archgoat, Blasphemy ect. I am looking for atmospheric music. Thanks.

ancientorder
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:37 am 

SSatanicSSatan wrote:
I am looking for ritualistic Black Metal like Beherits Drawing Down the Moon album.

Ride For Revenge, and perhaps the first album The King of Snakes could hit best for that. Rest of the albums are more with more harsher sound.

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:43 pm 

Not replying to a spesific request but any fans of classic Burzum should check out Hermóðr. Just excellent.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:05 pm 

DeathForBlitzkrieg wrote:
I come back to Elite's first two albums quite often - Kampen has the atmosphere (http://youtu.be/7KMkNyAccVQ), Bifrost the attitude (http://youtu.be/yiI0uJoN1kc).

I know Elite but have only listened to their newest album. It's too melodic for what I'm after but the earlier albums seem much closer. Any more bands in this vein?

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:57 am 

Grift maybe? You'll surely know Lorn, I just put it here because I freakin love this song. From 2014, You shouldn't miss out Ondfødt and Northern Hate.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:40 am 

I come to spread the gospel of high quality Greek blasphemy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXxCyj2 ... e=youtu.be

Anybody know of anything like the last Spectral Lore album?

satiros
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:38 pm 

Do any of ya'll know of any bands that sound close to Seigneur Voland and Kristallnacht, but without the racism/fascism?

I'm thinking something along the lines of very melodic, yet harsh, drum computer-driven black metal.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:59 pm 

satiros wrote:
Do any of ya'll know of any bands that sound close to Seigneur Voland and Kristallnacht, but without the racism/fascism?

I'm thinking something along the lines of very melodic, yet harsh, drum computer-driven black metal.

Almost every band that plays Seigneur Voland/Kristallnacht worship is NS oriented. I can't think of a single one that isn't.

Thanks for the recs, Hellbeast11. I know Lorn but have only heard their newest which didn't grab me. I'll look into their older stuff because that didn't sound half bad at all. And Grift I'm familiar with but haven't spent much time with. The other two are new and sound promising, so thanks!

satiros
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:58 am 

there's a Brazilian band called Sovereign that pretty much makes that type of music, just sorta based around alcoholism, wolves and weird occult stuff i guess. i was just wondering if there's any more of that kinda stuff out there. def hard to find!

Hellbeast11
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:48 pm 

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
satiros wrote:

Almost every band that plays Seigneur Voland/Kristallnacht worship is NS oriented. I can't think of a single one that isn't.

Thanks for the recs, Hellbeast11. I know Lorn but have only heard their newest which didn't grab me. I'll look into their older stuff because that didn't sound half bad at all. And Grift I'm familiar with but haven't spent much time with. The other two are new and sound promising, so thanks!

Indeed, Subconscious Metamorphosis was disappointing, but The Path to the Black Infinity and Towards the Abyss of Disease really slay. If You like Lorn, check out Near, too.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:04 pm 

Looking for bands that have latin lyrics, since there are many albums/songs titles in latin. I did a quick search and found Nazgûl, but can't stand the vocals...

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:19 pm 

You guys heard this? https://avantgardemusic.bandcamp.com/album/earth-i

It's the nature version of Darkspace (pretty sure it's actually them even though it's not "public", they're on Avantgarde, play the same style, they're a trio and a member is called "Z" haha). Black metal is so SECRET! Anyway, good stuff!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:59 pm 

Yeah, that's almost certainly Darkspace. New to me, so thanks! Did I read that release date for the digibook right? September of 2015? That's a long way off to be taking preorders. This is pretty good though. Some cascadian, atmospheric black metal meets Darkspace's pummeling atmosphere.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:28 am 

Unlike Darkspace, people are taking credit for keys and drum programming.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140 ... 231  Next