Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Grindcoremaniac135
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:43 am 

LayedBack01 wrote:
But that's the thing... I like thrash-black, symphonic, atmospheric, ambient, folk, depressive, viking, mixes of death and doom, basically everything. Of course I'm picky about which specific albums I listen to but I'm not one to limit myself to a certain genre or type of black metal you know? It's just about the quality of the music. So basically what I'm hoping is that you guys will tell me what you think is good! Though I would prefer to get a recommendation of something that isn't very well known to the masses.

Maybe you would like arkha sva from Japan.

LayedBack01
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:44 am 

Point taken about 'going by my taste in music', that could be tough with the general list that I presented.

If you guys prefer me to make a specific request my favorite type of black metal tends to be thrash-black ie. Bathory, Mefisto, Abigail, Sabbat, Bulldozer, and like Megiddo and Ulver for the similar harshness and vocals.

Beyond that though, please feel free to recommend me anything that you feel is good, especially if it's not very popular already. I've lots of free time over the next couple of weeks and I'm the type that would rather listen to everything and go through a bunch I might not like if it means that I find a few hidden gems by doing so.

Ilwhyan wrote:
So, how about rawer black metal somewhat in Arckanum's style? Bands like Horna, Behexen and Sargeist?

Well there we go, don't recall ever having listened to any of these bands though a couple of them sound familiar. So I'll get on that tomorrow or soon and see what I think. Now it's about time I pass out as it's 5 am. Z_Z

Grindcoremaniac135
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:52 am 

LayedBack01 wrote:
But that's the thing... I like thrash-black, symphonic, atmospheric, ambient, folk, depressive, viking, mixes of death and doom, basically everything. Of course I'm picky about which specific albums I listen to but I'm not one to limit myself to a certain genre or type of black metal you know? It's just about the quality of the music. So basically what I'm hoping is that you guys will tell me what you think is good! Though I would prefer to get a recommendation of something that isn't very well known to the masses.

Do you know abigor?

Grindcoremaniac135
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:03 am 

Layedback01, Here you got some more bands:
Impiety
Dark dimension
Obtained enslavement

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:16 am 

Could somebody supply me with some band(s) similar to Burzum? Not the obvious ones like Forgotten Woods, but some more unknown ones, preferably with a similar aesthetic to the music... You know, that forest/tolkien/occult thing he had going on the 90's.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:29 am 

I got occasional strong Burzum vibes from Nihil Nocturne's Necrohell, but that might be a rather subjective thing aswell, since superficially the album hardly bears strong resemblance to Burzum, it's more Darkthrone.

Malus might work aswell. Nature is a prominent theme in their music.

Last edited by hakarl on Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:31 am 

Many thanks, I really like both so far. For some reason I seem to have a shortage of german black metal bands...

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:07 am 

Celtic Frosted Flakes wrote:
... I seem to have a shortage of german black metal bands...

Have you checked out Bilskirnir? The "Totenheer", "Ahnenerbe" and "Avatismus des Glaubens" releases in particular are very 90s-Burzum-esque in sound.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:06 am 

Many thanks, I really like both so far. For some reason I seem to have a shortage of german black metal bands...

German? Burzum? Look no further -

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Wi ... gstod/3087

Also regarding early Burzum try Funeral Rite from Japan and Zuriaake.

Grindcoremaniac135
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:42 am 

Does somebody knows some asian bm bands like impiety?

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:58 am 

Thank you balbulus and STORMM, I'll check both Bilskirnir and Wigrid out! They seem very good so far, they have the whole aesthetic i mentioned down.
Saving the japanese bands for later. :)

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:28 pm 

Thank you balbulus and STORMM, I'll check both Bilskirnir and Wigrid out! They seem very good so far, they have the whole aesthetic i mentioned down.
Saving the japanese bands for later. :)

Never heard Wigrid? missing out. I like some of Bilskirnir a lot even though it's NSBM. Others that remind me of early Burzum are:

Morthond
Inferi - Finland
Evil - Brazil
Sapthuran (more fast paced, but simple effective and great riffs)
Aboriorth may also work

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:45 pm 

Many thanks Sick6six, give me 24 hours and I will have listened to all the bands I have gotten so far ;)

LayedBack01
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:13 pm 

Okay guys so out of what I listened to so far I'm really enjoying Sargeist - Let The Devil In

also Abigor - Nachthymnen (From the Twilight Kingdom), I'm not quite sold on this but there are parts of it I really like.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:33 pm 

^There's a ton of other stuff in the vein of Sargeist - Let the Devil In, though that album became an instant classic and is one of the best for sure.

LayedBack01
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:35 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
^There's a ton of other stuff in the vein of Sargeist - Let the Devil In, though that album became an instant classic and is one of the best for sure.

I'm listening... :)

And yes, Let The Devil In had me hooked instantly, and what surprised me was its' overall consistency. I think for that particular style of metal it might be pretty damn hard to top.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:45 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Maybe you'll get a kick out of N.K.V.D.? Not as fast, but definitely similar-feeling music:

Just out of curiosity of the subject, d'you know if NKVD has any other songs about the Chechen Republic and if they have lyrics available? judging by the song title and the dude in the bottom left corner in the goofy Turkish hat I'm guessing that's Akhmad Kadyrov.

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:59 pm 

Could somebody supply me with some band(s) similar to Burzum? Not the obvious ones like Forgotten Woods, but some more unknown ones, preferably with a similar aesthetic to the music... You know, that forest/tolkien/occult thing he had going on the 90's.

Dead Hills- Purgatory/Winds of Time
Nidhoggr- Ravens Over the Roads of Kings

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:20 pm 

LayedBack01 wrote:
Hey guys, been listening to metal for most of my life but it wasn't until the past 5 years or so when I really started to dive into the black metal genre. I've heard a lot and have plenty to listen to but I'm always looking for recommendations. What I'd like to do is post up some of my favorite black metal bands and albums (in which I'd highly recommend) and perhaps someone might have a suggestion for me going by my taste in music.

I'll give you a laundry list of good stuff then:
Sacramentum- Far Away From the Sun
Ungod- Magicus Tallis Damnatio
Kampfar- Mellom Skogkledde Aaser
Strid- Self-Titled
Paragon Impure- To Gaius
Dead Hills- Purgatory/Winds of Time
Mutiilation- Vampires of Black Imperial Blood
Behemoth- Sventevith
Ildjarn- Forest Poetry
Baxaxaxa- Hellfire
Inquisition- Nefarious Dismal Orations
Fullmoon- United Aryan Evil
I Shalt Become- Wanderings
Niden Div. 187- Impergium
Obtained Enslavement- Witchcraft
Obsequiae- Suspended in the Brume of Eos
Rotting Christ- Thy Mighty Contract
Setherial- Nord
Abigor- Orkblut

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:59 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
Just out of curiosity of the subject, d'you know if NKVD has any other songs about the Chechen Republic and if they have lyrics available? judging by the song title and the dude in the bottom left corner in the goofy Turkish hat I'm guessing that's Akhmad Kadyrov.

I'm not a history buff and I haven't taken much effort to research many of the song titles, so I couldn't tell you if they have any other songs about the Chechen Republic in particular. As for lyrics, N.K.V.D. don't publish them in the booklets, but I managed to independently uncover the lyrics to at least one of their songs. In Diktatura's booklet, the text mentions that the lyrics for "Incipit SSSR" were taken from a poem by Mikhail Lomonosov, so I looked up that guy's poems and eventually found out which passages appear in that song's lyrics; they read as follows:
Spoiler: show
Love for the Fatherland empowers
The souls and hands of Russian sons;
They each desire to spill their blood,
They draw their strength from sounds of war.

All hail the Fatherland

How does the mighty lion scare
A wolf pack baring poison teeth
Showing ferocious, gleaming eyes?
His roaring quakes the woods and shore,
His tail churns up the dust and sand,
Uncoiling mightily, he strikes.

All hail the Fatherland

mirageasylum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:10 am 

I'm still curious whether anyone knows bands/albums with similar characteristics to e.g. this song:

And I'm especially into the demented, intense vocals the guy delivers, and the drumming, but the first Anaal Nathrakh LP would also be a good example of what I'm looking for.
I tried to look for some inspiration through the Similar Bands tab on The Metal Archives, but all the sugested bands feel too death metal or grindcore, without the significant black metal of the aforementioned material. Thus, again, I'm turning to you for help :).

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:02 pm 

So I have been getting into Impaled Nazarene's Suomi Finland Perkele, and now I really want to explore their discography. Any recommendations on which album I should listen to next?

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:54 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
So I have been getting into Impaled Nazarene's Suomi Finland Perkele, and now I really want to explore their discography. Any recommendations on which album I should listen to next?

Go for the first two next, especially Ugra-Karma.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:58 am 

Definitely Ugra Karma, I think that is their all-time classic. Latex Cult and Rapture are also great in my opinion. I personally don't like the debut, but everyone else raves about it, so it will depend on your personal preference.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:13 am 

I will third Ugra Karma. I picked the 1st two albums up when they first were released and was addicted to them at the time, sounded like nothing else. I actually have them on cd and lp come to think of it, the 1st press album cover for Ugra Karma had to be changed for some religious bullshit reason. For what ever reason I lost touch with them a few albums later, must dig these out again and give them a spin to see if they still sound as good.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:53 am 

The cover was changed for copyright reasons as far as I know. The new cover is superior by a massive margin. One of the most memorable album covers in metal, really.

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:10 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
The cover was changed for copyright reasons as far as I know. The new cover is superior by a massive margin. One of the most memorable album covers in metal, really.

I think the song "Hate" from that album best embodies the cover art, really majestic song(sans the annoying sample) I wish they'd made more like it.

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:10 pm 

Grindcoremaniac135 wrote:
Does somebody knows some asian bm bands like impiety?

Check out Battlestorm, and Nocturnal Damnation to name a few off the top of my head.

Huldrelok
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:43 am 

Just listened to Emperor's - "In the Nightside Eclipse" for the first time, quite a lot to take into, but really beautiful. Havnt heard a symphonic album composed this well for a long time, really happy to finally get around to Emperor.

Anyway, if anyone is intrested in a bit more ambient / symphonic stuff check out Zargof's "Departure for the cosmic twilight" really cool unique stuff, got the cd off HHR recently and has gotten me back into this style of BM. Available for listening pleasure on bandcamp; Departure for the Cosmic Twilight

Cheezay
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:06 pm 

Friend of mine turned me onto these guys, thought i would share them with all of you Metalheads. Very small local Black Metal band, they have real potential i believe :headbang:

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:51 pm 

Huldrelok wrote:
Just listened to Emperor's - "In the Nightside Eclipse" for the first time, quite a lot to take into, but really beautiful. Havnt heard a symphonic album composed this well for a long time, really happy to finally get around to Emperor.

Anyway, if anyone is intrested in a bit more ambient / symphonic stuff check out Zargof's "Departure for the cosmic twilight" really cool unique stuff, got the cd off HHR recently and has gotten me back into this style of BM. Available for listening pleasure on bandcamp; Departure for the Cosmic Twilight

Those are both some of my favorites. Are you into Argar? Or is anyone else for that matter? Since this is a rec thread, I totally recommend to any fan of symphonic black metal, or just black metal in general.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:29 am 

I'm just going to throw this in here: Svikt.

If you've ever read one of my musings about Gorgoroth's style of black metal, and how it should have inspired more later bands to write music in a similar style, well, here's one of them. The are from Norway, and their first (and newest) album is from 2011, but they don't belong to the Trondheim scene, and their style is different from the whole Nidrosian thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBXg7FPo42U

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:15 am 

^Another amazing suggestion!

I was just made aware of this 1 man band from the USA called "Unhuman Disease" thanks to Sarkrista posting one of their songs on FB. So far I'm totally digging it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWqIrWOoI1c

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:19 pm 

Looking for a mix of black metal and hardcore punk. The only band I really know is Night Hag.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:33 pm 

Never got into punk so I'm not exactly sure what hardcore punk sounds like, but I think Nadiwrath may be kinda close?

mirageasylum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:22 am 

mirageasylum wrote:
I'm still curious whether anyone knows bands/albums with similar characteristics to e.g. this song:

And I'm especially into the demented, intense vocals the guy delivers, and the drumming, but the first Anaal Nathrakh LP would also be a good example of what I'm looking for.
I tried to look for some inspiration through the Similar Bands tab on The Metal Archives, but all the sugested bands feel too death metal or grindcore, without the significant black metal of the aforementioned material. Thus, again, I'm turning to you for help :).

Anyone?

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:47 am 

^ Well for demented vocals you can try Mutiilation, Permafrost, Forgjord, Zorn - Menschenfeind II - A.N., Leviathan... not sure if they really sound similar to that song though. Probably more, but that's all I got at the moment.

mirageasylum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:33 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
^ Well for demented vocals you can try Mutiilation, Permafrost, Forgjord, Zorn - Menschenfeind II - A.N., Leviathan... not sure if they really sound similar to that song though. Probably more, but that's all I got at the moment.

So far I can say Mutiilation is spot on - even though it's totally different from fukpig or Anaal Nathrakh, it's great stuff, I love it - especially the first LP is just smashing. I will surely check out the rest of Your recs soon - BTW which Permafrost do you mean, cause there are like 4 of them out there?

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:19 am 

The full length Permafrost from 2008 probably has more fucked up vocals than the new one, the 2006 one might be even weirder, but I didn't like the music as much. Also I just listened to Besatt's latest album (Tempus Apocalypsis) again and while the style is a lot more aggressive or "brutal" his vocals are some of the most morbid inhuman screams I've heard in awhile, so maybe check that out too.

This is probably the slowest song on the album, but it's a perfect black metal anthem:

Can't find the exact Permafrost song I was looking for, not sure if they're exactly what you're looking for, but they use some crazy laughter and screaming sometimes. Anyway here's an example:

Hellgunk
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:06 pm 

hello people, i have been using this site for a long time now, and just became a member today, there are 3 bands i just cant stop listening to.
and im looking for bands that even sound remotely close to any of them

The Horn- occult space black metal all based on the egyptian book of the dead ( just looking for somthing that sounds like it, doesnt have to be the same lyrical content)

Furze- black/doom experimental

Naakhum- spacey black metal with digeridoo's and jaw harp (sorry not that great at describing)

it can be from any album from any of the bands, love them all

cheers

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 231  Next