Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thanatos92
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:43 am 

....any help for an agalloch fanboy? I need something that mixes folk, post and even a touch of avant\drone\ambient...
Lately I found this italian band...very in the vein of what I'm looking for:

http://nakedlunchrecords.bandcamp.com/a ... f-memories
https://seventhgenocide.bandcamp.com/al ... f-memories

So you can have an idea...thanks

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:12 am 

^ Basically bands like Saor, Panopticon, Fen...?

More to the avant garde side, if you don't mind raw production I recommend Qulielfi. It has folk, post and drone in its style. Also Menace Ruine.

hyrra
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:35 am 

If you are a fan of Agalloch, you might like us too?

We have an album coming out later this year and "Hukka" is the first track to air from that album, hope you enjoy it! :)

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:24 pm 

Thanatos92 wrote:
....any help for an agalloch fanboy? I need something that mixes folk, post and even a touch of avant\drone\ambient...
Lately I found this italian band...very in the vein of what I'm looking for

Oak Pantheon is a good project.

romeARisque
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:35 pm 

insaneanguish wrote:
Thexhumed wrote:
I'm looking for Black Metal ala Drudkh, with sound of (deep) horns, waves and wind. Thanks.

you may wanna take a look at this new underground band :

Pain Emotion is the classic DSBM?

Rock Pop black metal. It makes you want to dance when you're depressed!

Last edited by romeARisque on Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rottir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:18 pm 

Thanatos92 wrote:
....any help for an agalloch fanboy?

http://youtu.be/OYGxCQtxSjA

Electric Death
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:32 am 

This is more of me satisfying a curiosity rather than actually looking for bands to listen to. Considering how huge the Blackgaze (for a lack of a better term) is right now, are there any bands that have crossed Blackgaze with Death Metal elements?

Considering that there are "atmospheric" Death Metal bands out there like Portal, wouldn't be a stretch to hear the two sounds being combined with each other. Imagine half the song being Death Metal and ends with a long blast beat section that can be found in early Lantlos or Deafheaven tracks. Heck, I can imagine somebody combining it with one part tech death.

So are there any bands doing this? I think it will appear eventually.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:41 pm 

I just read that Marduk collaborated with Arditi on a song called "Warschau III: Necropolis". Does anyone know what album it's from?

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:43 pm 

Frontschwein, I believe.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:48 pm 

MonumentalBlackArt wrote:
Frontschwein, I believe.

Yes, I just noticed it's on the limited edition! Thanks dude! ;)

Ganondorf901
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:37 am 

Any suggestions for Avant-Garde/Experimental BM bands? Really I'm just looking for any 'out there' black metal, whether that means its filled with psychedelic/surreal/fusion elements or is just technical/progressive/atmospheric. Deathspell Omega, Dodecehedron, Negura Bunget.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:46 am 

Check out this guys channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYaYZQ ... 0k3iaRdgcw

Ganondorf901
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:18 pm 

Thanks that channel is sick, great stuff on it!

Hopefully someone here has really specific knowledge of BM lyrics: I'm doing a project involving Cascadian Black Metal and Deep Ecology, does anyone have suggestions for particular Black Metal songs (doesn't have to be Cascadian/USBM) with particularly poetic/well written environmental lyrics? I'd like to lessen the hassle of checking out every WITTR spinoff's lyrics if any of yall know any particularly strong lyricists.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:24 pm 

Anything like Kampfar's Mare?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:12 am 

Anybody familiar with the Necromantic Worship demo "Spirit of the Entrance unto Death"? Word on the streets is it's highly influenced by the early works of the Greek gods and also somewhat or completely improv'd. I ordered my copy from NWN last night. I'm really excited about the possibilities here.

edit: Alright I guess they started out as an improvised act but I don't think these songs are. I'm still very pumped to hear it.

Racial_Sweepstakes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:03 am 

Ganondorf901 wrote:
Any suggestions for Avant-Garde/Experimental BM bands? Really I'm just looking for any 'out there' black metal, whether that means its filled with psychedelic/surreal/fusion elements or is just technical/progressive/atmospheric. Deathspell Omega, Dodecehedron, Negura Bunget.

Have you heard the latest Abigor?

Thy_Nightmare
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:46 pm 

Looking for ultra fast (both guitar wise and drum wise), chaotic, and preferably heavy black metal (or war/bestial black metal). To describe it better, I think it should be something in the vein of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBP8imm03Mo but with war/bestial kind of riffs (if such bands exist at all, lol). And please, don't link me the mainstream bands (anything from Blasphemy/Beherit to Proclamation/Archgoat to Teitanblood/Darklord etc.), since I probably know about them, and they are not as extreme and chaotic as Last Days of Humanity is.
Thank you.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:57 pm 

That Last days of Humanity had the worst snare I've heard in a while, but on point with your request here are some suggestions

Heresiarch from New Zealand are some blasting madness in a similar (vaguely) black/death/war metal vein.

Weregoat might be worth checking out for you.

Diocletian are worth a look too, though they might be too "mainstream"...

Probably none of these are anywhere near as chaotic as you're looking for, but there you go.

My collection

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:40 pm 

You'll know these guys, right? http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Nyogthaeblisz/24025

Scavenger_of_Human_Sorrow
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:54 pm 

Necroghast wrote:

This guy has been my religion for the last 2 years, he never ever fails. Been a month since a new band!

Since I'm here, can you guys lead me to a much more aggressive Windir? I am familiar with Soar, looking for something similar but a bit more raw/heavy(production wise),fast.

Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:56 pm 

Thy_Nightmare wrote:
Looking for ultra fast (both guitar wise and drum wise), chaotic, and preferably heavy black metal (or war/bestial black metal). To describe it better, I think it should be something in the vein of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBP8imm03Mo but with war/bestial kind of riffs (if such bands exist at all, lol). And please, don't link me the mainstream bands (anything from Blasphemy/Beherit to Proclamation/Archgoat to Teitanblood/Darklord etc.), since I probably know about them, and they are not as extreme and chaotic as Last Days of Humanity is.
Thank you.

Tietanblood is what you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDRV5FiW-Pc

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:10 pm 

Dude, it's spelled Teitanblood and he literally mentions them in his post, learn to read, please.

Also "mainstream bands" :-P :-P, yeah Archgoat is totally mainstream, the expression you were looking for is "well known".

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Thy_Nightmare
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:48 am 

CrushedRevelation, I actually do know both about Weregoat and Diocletian, but, this is the first time I've heard Heresiarch, and I fuc*ing like them. Thank you man.
MonumentalBlackArt, I do know about Nyogthaeblisz, thank you anyways.
Metantoine, exactly, I just couldn't find the appropriate word at the time :D

Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:47 pm 

^Drunk and dumb me, and I even double posted. Jesus.

Anyway. Maybe Revenge fits the bill? Guys from Axis of Advance, its certainly heavy, chaotic, and fast. Though calling them black metal is a bit generous, but the influence is there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qr5TFwxGuA

Ridge
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:31 am 

This might be a bit vague but I'm looking for something similar to Nazgul - When the Wolves Return to the Forest. I like the rawness, primitive simplicity of that album, for me its a great example of simple without being boring. I find some 'raw' black metal has boring over simple drumming so something with a bit more variety. I heard somewhere that they continued as a different band or just changed their name, can someone confirm this and if so, is it worth checking out?

Sorry about the vague request but if anything is similar to that album then I'll happily check it out. Thanks.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:11 pm 

I know my request is a bit cliché, but here it goes anyway: I'm looking for stuff that sounds like mid-period Darkthrone. I've already discovered (and enjoyed) Craft, Pest and Armagedda. Any recs?

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:50 am 

Unity wrote:
I know my request is a bit cliché, but here it goes anyway: I'm looking for stuff that sounds like mid-period Darkthrone. I've already discovered (and enjoyed) Craft, Pest and Armagedda. Any recs?

Yep, especially these guys...

Tangorodrim. All their albums are some pretty solid Darkthrone worship, and are also quite good too.

My collection

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:19 pm 

Killer new QCBM with guys of Forteresse and Chasse-Galerie. It's way more riffy than your usual quebec black metal, I love it.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:05 pm 

I'm gonna check that out Toine! I've ignored that whole scene due to a purported lack of riffiness. The cover artwork kills.

I've always been curious about Tangorodrim. Their logo is so simple and great. I'm not sure I need a Darkthrone tribute band in my life but I may give them a go.

I got that Necromantic Worship demo in. It's not as Greek influenced as I expected and I'm genuinely pleased by that. It's weirder. It kind of reminds me of Beherit mixed with the swarthy/swampy atmosphere of early Greek classics. Except Geezer Butler is just bassing the fuck all over both songs. Every other instrument is relegated to this odd background pulsation while the bass cavorts to and fro. It's neat.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:21 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I got that Necromantic Worship demo in. It's not as Greek influenced as I expected and I'm genuinely pleased by that. It's weirder. It kind of reminds me of Beherit mixed with the swarthy/swampy atmosphere of early Greek classics. Except Geezer Butler is just bassing the fuck all over both songs. Every other instrument is relegated to this odd background pulsation while the bass cavorts to and fro. It's neat.

That Necromantic Worship demo was fun. The bass is really wild, making for a really strange, pulsing feel. I really dug it.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:25 pm 

Yeah it does exactly what you want from a demo...leaves you wanting more. I'm hoping maybe a four or five track EP is next. Pulsating seems to be the word of the day for them. I'm glad I'm not the only one hearing that.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:34 pm 

This seems to be a great year for Hellenic black metal overall. On top of that Necromantic Worship demo, Katavasia and Lucifer's Child (coming soon) released pretty solid debuts. Also the return of Nocternity and Macabre Omen brought stellar material after a long wait. Rotting Christ's live album seems decent on first play through, as well. I'd be suffering from Hellenic overload, if that was possible.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:38 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

Killer new QCBM with guys of Forteresse and Chasse-Galerie. It's way more riffy than your usual quebec black metal, I love it.

Ehhhh, I found this to be really un-riffy. Too many bland post-rock lead guitar bits when they couldn't think of anything else to do. Pretty dull.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

IcyScythe
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:20 am 

Can anyone recommend me some "uplifting" black metal? I often find myself in the mood for some BM, but not in the mood for something incredibly dark (granted that's a bit of a contradiction). Something along the lines of Sacramentum's "Far away from the Sun" is a good example. Very peaceful, beautiful bit of BM. It's far from slow, but it's just... soothing I guess.

Another example would be Drudkh at times.

UnholyAnalDeathWorship
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:41 am 

I honestly can't comment on much of their other material because I'm admittedly not familiar with their stuff but I did check out this song on youtube the other day and it's a very uplifting song. Beautiful, and even melancholic in a way but definitely got that uplifting hopeful sound to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA-TLekogvk

Metal81
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:42 pm 

Woods of Desolation is certainly a good place to start for uplifting BM, but They tend to mix uplifting and melancholic stuff. I find that combination awesome, but for others it may not land well.

A few other bands that I find to be uplifting:

Gratzug, specifically the most recent album "Offenbarung"

Thormesis, their last album "Freier Wille - Freier Geist" is a fucking monster

Blaze of Sorrow, some of their stuff is more depressive/melancholic, but they mix in a fair amount of uplifting stuff too. This song, especially the last 2ish minutes, is amazing

Shores of Ladon also do some pretty great uplifting stuff. Their full length "Eindringling" is a solid album start to finish

Cheers

Last edited by Metal81 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:25 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

Ehhhh, I found this to be really un-riffy. Too many bland post-rock lead guitar bits when they couldn't think of anything else to do. Pretty dull.

Yeah I couldn't finish the track. Nothing there for me to sink my teeth into. Tangorodrim on the other hand were very fucking cool.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:08 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Unity wrote:

Yep, especially these guys...

Tangorodrim. All their albums are some pretty solid Darkthrone worship, and are also quite good too.

I dig them, thanks a lot! ;)

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:15 pm 

IcyScythe wrote:
Can anyone recommend me some "uplifting" black metal? I often find myself in the mood for some BM, but not in the mood for something incredibly dark (granted that's a bit of a contradiction). Something along the lines of Sacramentum's "Far away from the Sun" is a good example. Very peaceful, beautiful bit of BM. It's far from slow, but it's just... soothing I guess.

Dimmu Borgir's original "Stormblast" sounds pretty peaceful and soothing to me.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:17 pm 

IcyScythe wrote:

Try yourself some Dekadent -

You would also most likely enjoy Imperium Dekadenz -

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151 ... 231  Next