Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LeeKiing26
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:00 pm 

I wanted to post a new thread about this but I thought I might have been accused of self promotion. There's a dude on youtube who has an amazing video lineup of blackmetal bands. I'd never heard of most of them, and so far every SINGLE one I've listened to has been unique and awesome. Guy goes by XodiumNostrumX and over the last couple months I've been turned on to some really awesome stuff, like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBfnWZkW7sE

Again, this is not me, if this dude posts on metal archives then I just want to say thanks!!!!

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:10 pm 

I'll try again as my previous post got sandwiched between other comments:

Anyone can recommend me bands like 'Schattenvald' ?
Schattenvald is a bit obscure but is one of my favourites. Very melodic, with a hint of folky catchiness, subtle use of synths but still very much straightforward black metal.
Some examples:
http://youtu.be/A-4OPRTiWX0
http://youtu.be/TSrWJiZTTfo (holy shit around the 1 minute mark...)
http://youtu.be/CPyi9authmo (happy tremolo picked riff around 0:58 !)

I think Horn, also one of my favs, sounds a bit like them, though slower and less cheery.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:31 pm 

I meant to respond the first time although it's not exactly my area of expertise. I've listened to some Schattenvald and those songs you posted sound pretty good, a bit more raw than I thought, but I'm still not entirely sure if I like all the folky keyboard elements. Some of those bands suggested from youtube are probably similar, but maybe Vallendusk and Monarque would work. Also just found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC0iGDuuafE There's another band I used to listen to but I can't remember what the heck they are called now. Curious to see what others would say about this though. Edit: Ok I remember it was Aetherius Obscuritas, maybe a little more straightforward than Schattenvald, but not bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dehAlFCbSRY this song is really good too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wypnkxJGcpo

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:38 pm 

Braltika wrote:
I'll try again as my previous post got sandwiched between other comments:

Anyone can recommend me bands like 'Schattenvald' ?
Schattenvald is a bit obscure but is one of my favourites. Very melodic, with a hint of folky catchiness, subtle use of synths but still very much straightforward black metal.
Some examples:
http://youtu.be/A-4OPRTiWX0
http://youtu.be/TSrWJiZTTfo (holy shit around the 1 minute mark...)
http://youtu.be/CPyi9authmo (happy tremolo picked riff around 0:58 !)

I think Horn, also one of my favs, sounds a bit like them, though slower and less cheery.

Spend some time with Windir's early albums and demo's. Not as obscure sounding as Schattenvald but they should tick the rest of the boxes. Later albums are much more polished but equally as good. In fact spend time with all their work, an outstanding band imo, as many of you know :)

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:13 am 

Thanks gentlemen, I'll check out your suggestions asap.
I know Windir, but only their later works so I'll look into earlier stuff, thx!

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:03 am 

Braltika wrote:
Thanks gentlemen, I'll check out your suggestions asap.
I know Windir, but only their later works so I'll look into earlier stuff, thx!

Haha was thinking that they may be a bit too obvious. Lets dig a little deeper to another fantastic band and personal favourite. Not so many keyboards this time but the riffs and melodies will certainly make up for this and raw sounding to boot, I think you will like, all releases slay!

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Forest_of_Fog/17815

Enjoy!

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:48 am 

I need more plodding, oppressive, and sludgy stuff like Ride For Revenge, particularly this little number (one of their more accessible songs if you ask me). Intro ends around 8mins in.

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Braltika
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:59 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
I meant to respond the first time although it's not exactly my area of expertise. I've listened to some Schattenvald and those songs you posted sound pretty good, a bit more raw than I thought, but I'm still not entirely sure if I like all the folky keyboard elements. Some of those bands suggested from youtube are probably similar, but maybe Vallendusk and Monarque would work. Also just found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC0iGDuuafE There's another band I used to listen to but I can't remember what the heck they are called now. Curious to see what others would say about this though. Edit: Ok I remember it was Aetherius Obscuritas, maybe a little more straightforward than Schattenvald, but not bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dehAlFCbSRY this song is really good too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wypnkxJGcpo

Thx for the suggestions, alas, being very picky in my musical taste, the music did not click right away. Perhaps I'm looking too much for similarities with Schattenvald that I overlook other good music. Thanks for your time anyway!

STORMM wrote:
Haha was thinking that they may be a bit too obvious. Lets dig a little deeper to another fantastic band and personal favourite. Not so many keyboards this time but the riffs and melodies will certainly make up for this and raw sounding to boot, I think you will like, all releases slay!

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Forest_of_Fog/17815

Enjoy!

Ah Stormm, I've noticed we have such a similar taste and was already hoping you'd give me suggestions for my musical quest of late. Forest of Fog I know as well -and thoroughly enjoy- but they escaped my radar for a while and will give Rabenflug a spin again, some of my fav. instrumental black metal. I agree with the melodies, very similar indeed. Thanks!

Kaiser_19
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:00 pm 

I'm looking for some black metal that sounds exactly like Dark Funeral's Secrets of the Black Arts.

-Fast and intense with cold and dark melodies with atmospheric vibe. Please no ultra raw sound most bands had early 90's. DF had a great production on their debut album.

- No crappy bullshit satanic/ antichristian lyrics. I find annoying since i strongly dislike and disagree with their ideology. Their music kick ass but their lyrics are just worthless.

Thanks in advance

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:18 pm 

But black metal has to always be about Satan, Varg even told me so. But um seriously the only stuff would be some of the foresty nature black metal and some other random stuff... I really can't think of any kind of anti-antireligious Dark Funeral type band, can anyone?

Forbinator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:04 am 

Massemord (Pol) perhaps? Try their album Let the World Burn. Possibly some of Thunderbolt's material as well, although it can get old pretty quick.

Kuwabara1997
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:58 pm 

Can somebody recommend black metal bands with a male lead vocalist and clean female vocalist. It doesn't matter if the black metal band is symphonic, melodic, gothic, etc. or regular black metal.

Most of my metal listening background is gothic metal, with beauty and the beast style vocals, and I'd like to find more artists with that sort of vocal style, but with black metal style and instrumentation.

I know for most of you this may not be your forte, being as if most of these posts are in regards to real black metal, but I feel it would also be easy for this sort of company to direct me to what I'm looking for because you'd be able to discerm what you feel is true and untrue black metal.

I aleady know of Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir, being as they are both in my top five favorite bands, but I was looking for something less mainstream, or something I may have overlooked.

Thanka in advance.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:12 am 

Have you heard Lord Belial? their Enter the Moonlight Gate and Unholy Crusade albums have a lot of clean female vocals along with the regular singer. They have it on most of their albums at least a little bit, but it's most present on those 2, maybe a good 50% of the time.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:52 pm 

Kuwabara1997 wrote:
Can somebody recommend black metal bands with a male lead vocalist and clean female vocalist. It doesn't matter if the black metal band is symphonic, melodic, gothic, etc. or regular black metal.

Reckon you'd enjoy Penumbra, band from France that split a couple of years ago. Used to listen to 'em a lot when I what were a teen, and the excellent Seclusion is still worth the odd spin now. Gothic with blackened influences. Also try Meza Virs' solitary full-length, a Singaporean band playing a somewhat blacker Tristania sound, nice people too.

For something a bit more related to actual black metal there's the debut by Bloodthorn, a really decent one that, with the supporting female vocals worked in quite impressively. Great atmosphere, one to play in the dark perhaps.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:55 pm 

Kuwabara1997 wrote:
Can somebody recommend black metal bands with a male lead vocalist and clean female vocalist. It doesn't matter if the black metal band is symphonic, melodic, gothic, etc. or regular black metal...

One of the locals 'round here has a band that fits the bill well http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Sor ... 3540308348.

Kaiser_19 wrote:
I'm looking for some black metal that sounds exactly like Dark Funeral's Secrets of the Black Arts.
-Fast and intense with cold and dark melodies with atmospheric vibe. Please no ultra raw sound most bands had early 90's. DF had a great production on their debut album.
- No crappy bullshit satanic/ antichristian lyrics. I find annoying since i strongly dislike and disagree with their ideology. Their music kick ass but their lyrics are just worthless.

Never bothered with Dark Funeral so I may be waaaayy off here but have you heard of Fire Throne? http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Fire_Throne/52377 Pro Jesus 'black' metal, kind of on the rawer side but not all the time. Lemme know what you think, I've got a lot more pro Jesus bands in my repertoire.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:03 pm 

sushiman wrote:
Kuwabara1997 wrote:

Reckon you'd enjoy Penumbra, band from France that split a couple of years ago. Used to listen to 'em a lot when I what were a teen, and the excellent Seclusion is still worth the odd spin now. Gothic with blackened influences. Also try Meza Virs' solitary full-length, a Singaporean band playing a somewhat blacker Tristania sound, nice people too.

No way, someone besides me who likes Seclusion?! :lol:

If you follow down that train of thought you might as well try Trail Of Tears' A New Dimension Of Might. I would say that's way more gothic/meloblack than anything Penumbra ever did, and I'm actually quite fond of said album.

Totally off-topic, can someone please shed some light on the other BAN members apart from Vindsval? What's the deal with having some guy credited as a drummer when the drums are programmed? Is it one of those cases where it's an alias for a drum machine?! I'm confused...

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:55 am 

Kaiser_19 wrote:

Thanks in advance

most of the songs on that dark funeral album are about satan so youre not even being consistent here

dimensional_ambler
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:36 am 

Apparently one is supposed to use the genre related thread to ask for recommendations; this isn't particularly clear in the guidelines but there you go.

If someone does take the time to reply to this request, could they please PM me to that effect as I don't have time to constantly trawl through this thread to check for replies.

Original thread reads as follows:

Any more phenomenal synth driven Ukrainian black metal?

So, I've scoured all over and here's what passes muster with me:

Nokturnal Mortum - Lunar Poetry
Dub Buk - Rus' Ponad Vse! (Ok, so it's 'blackened thrash')
Munruthel - Epoha Vodoleya

Anthropolatri — Возрадуйся, Земля! is also just about up to standard.

I don't expect to find much more that's up to this standard, but here's hoping...

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:06 pm 

androdion wrote:
No way, someone besides me who likes Seclusion?! :lol:

If you follow down that train of thought you might as well try Trail Of Tears' A New Dimension Of Might. I would say that's way more gothic/meloblack than anything Penumbra ever did, and I'm actually quite fond of said album.

Yes I thought of Trail of Tears as well, especially if he digs Penumbra. A New Dimension of Might is the most blackened one they did, though the atmosphere and mood of Profoundemonium should definitely appeal.

Last edited by sushiman on Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:00 pm 

Sorrowseed might be perfectly solid for all I know, but I can't get over the singer's headgear... :lol:

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:22 am 

That's an element of the image that we've phased out as of late. Lilith's grown her hair back out after having been bald/short haired for a couple years, so no more crazy headdresses will be needed. We've been meaning to do new band photos with just myself, Lilith, and Josh since literally every single photo of us online features an ex-member of some sort and none of just us three (which is kind of a shame since the photo shoot of us on top of the tower with the sun setting in the background is the coolest visual ever), but we haven't been able to get it scheduled for a time that fits all three of our schedules.

If you want a starting point for our material, it depends on what you're into more. On the first album, a double album, the first disc is more gothic and poppy with a lot of melodic lead lines and some straight up doom metal songs. The second disc is more riff based and aggressive, with less gothic and doom elements and just generally heavier all around. Both discs are also LOADED with piano, so be prepared for a lot of that with the first record. Our second album is a continuation of that more extreme sound, only even further in how aggressive it gets and without most of the gothic elements, as well as much less keyboard use than either first album disc. I only play on the second album, and while I have a lot of issues with the final product (I'll spare you the story here since it's too long and I've already gone over it in the musicians' thread a number of times), most people don't seem to notice/care and enjoy it anyway.

Also, Andy LaRocque does a solo on one of the songs on the second album. That was cool of him.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:28 am 

Second album sounds cool. I think I'll check that one out. :)

Zerstorer1611
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:58 pm 

Hello all, I'm looking for raw black metal in the vein of Moonblood's rehearsal tapes and demos or Graveland's "Celtic Winter" demo.

I've also been listening to a LOT of Vlad Tepes and other LLN bands so I'm looking for stuff like that.

Please do not mention the same old bands, Ildjarn, Belketre, Mutiilation, Black Funeral and so on, I already know fairly well those bands and I'm looking for something new.

Thanks in advance.

pale_horse
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:05 am 

This is going to sound a little vague but I'll give it a shot anyway - I like Melechesh, Rotting Christ and Inquisition. It is fair to consider the newest release by each as the sound I like. These bands each seem to me to have a very distinct and memorable/catchy sound. I would like to hear some releases by bands that strike you in a similar way, that have black metal elements but don't have a by-the-book sound.

arvid719
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:30 pm 

Zerstorer1611 wrote:
Hello all, I'm looking for raw black metal in the vein of Moonblood's rehearsal tapes and demos or Graveland's "Celtic Winter" demo.

I've also been listening to a LOT of Vlad Tepes and other LLN bands so I'm looking for stuff like that.

Please do not mention the same old bands, Ildjarn, Belketre, Mutiilation, Black Funeral and so on, I already know fairly well those bands and I'm looking for something new.

Thanks in advance.

Unhuman disease, Vehemenz, Forbidden Eye, Nightbringer, Massemord. To name a few, all these bands are on Spotify if you use that, not all albums tho.

arvid719
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:36 pm 

vulcan plutarchy wrote:
This is going to sound a little vague but I'll give it a shot anyway - I like Melechesh, Rotting Christ and Inquisition. It is fair to consider the newest release by each as the sound I like. These bands each seem to me to have a very distinct and memorable/catchy sound. I would like to hear some releases by bands that strike you in a similar way, that have black metal elements but don't have a by-the-book sound.

Ered wethrin, Nivlhel, Coldworld. Maybe, its hard to give you some tips since it´s not mutch i have to go on.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 2:41 pm 

vulcan plutarchy wrote:

Those bands are all musically very different, so many recs are probably going to be quite hit-and-miss.

Lunar Aurora's Hoagascht is very much like that: distinct and memorable, with strong black metal foundations, but a unique and cohesive style. It's atmospheric, powerfully romantic and nocturnal. Many of the leading riffs are heavy, austere straight-forward black metal riffs, but there are also melodic passages, atmospheric synth licks and effects and interesting rhythm patterns.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:52 pm 

If it's "not by the book" BM you want, you should probably check out the contemporary French scene - Deathspell Omega, Blut Aus Nord, Aosoth, plus any I've omitted. I'm also, personally, very partial to the newer, more experimental USBM bands like Wolves..., Krallice, Ash Borer, though I know some BM fans hate that stuff.

vulcan:

I think I've mentioned them in this thread already, but check out Black War from Brazil and Ash Pool from the U.S., those are two of the best I've heard recently. Akitsa, you may be familiar with - they play a sort of Quebecois-nationalist garage-punk-BM - but they should certainly be mentioned.

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:47 pm 

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:25 pm 

Zerstorer1611 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Eternal Majesty (Everything they did rules, the demos/splits/EP are the most raw)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fROa8V9xDE
old Moontower \m/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7sJTJFg9rk
Förgjord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CaD3kivUGY
Basilisk (UK) kvlt favorite of mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKfbl7y1JBU
Blood of the Moon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XDI0QO56Ew
Kadotus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpuk61cpJA
Sielunvihollinen (better production, but kinda dirty/punky sound like some Vlad Tepes)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKDqqdulV3U
EDIT: Odz Manouk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX9y8SKJ1H8
The very early Urgehal stuff was also really rough

SveaUltima
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:57 pm 

Anybody know some black metal that have a "happy" melody but the same time has that raw feeling that black metal have?

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:50 pm 

Some really good recs as usual Sick, hadn't heard that Eternal Majesty stuff despite the involvement of Antaeus/Aosoth members but it's right in my corner. And yeah Forgjord and Kadotus, both very good stuff.

I'd add Hårda Skit, band I came across during my delving into Finnish black metal earlier this year. First demo is pretty raw. After that they get more "epic".
http://hardaskit.bandcamp.com/album/helvetes-ild

Despite their current incarnation as a thunderous black/death horde, Temple of Baal's old demo Black Unholy Presence is some of the nicest raw black metal I came across all year. Ugly, bleak and with some great riffs. Like those vocals too.

SveaUltima wrote:
Anybody know some black metal that have a "happy" melody but the same time has that raw feeling that black metal have?

Might be able to help you. The excellent and unique French Satanists S.V.E.S.T. have a great discography that culminates in Le Diable Est Ma Raison, raw and somewhat dissonant black metal with weirdly uplifting and triumphant melodies. As a mate said of them, it really puts Let the Devil In to shame. S.V.E.S.T. really do something special on those songs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aarDJUy2uZk

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:44 pm 

sushiman wrote:
Some really good recs as usual Sick, hadn't heard that Eternal Majesty stuff despite the involvement of Antaeus/Aosoth members but it's right in my corner. And yeah Forgjord and Kadotus, both very good stuff.

Thanks! Eternal Majesty is like a hidden gem band... Both of their full lengths are of the highest caliber. Their first album From War to Darkness is still one that I remember being overwhelmed by the sheer aggression of it. Here just check it out, it's been out of print forever anyway. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXpTfh9j4to their non album releases are more Moonblood-ish sounding I think.

the_heathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:40 pm 

Melodic Black Metal recs please I already know and love Dissection, Windir, Sacramentum, Vinterland, Dawn, Kvist, and Rotting Christ particularly I would like to hear Melodic Black Metal with a huge Yngwie Malmsteen influence I've always noticed his influence on Melodic Black Metal.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:47 am 

the_heathen wrote:
Melodic Black Metal recs please I already know and love Dissection, Windir, Sacramentum, Vinterland, Dawn, Kvist, and Rotting Christ particularly I would like to hear Melodic Black Metal with a huge Yngwie Malmsteen influence I've always noticed his influence on Melodic Black Metal.

Mystic Forest comes to mind.

Worthless_Dream
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:59 am 

the_heathen wrote:

Nothing to do with Yngwie, but check this band out I just discovered

Lots of Dissection like melodic leads there with a hint of Gorgoroth in the riffs!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:11 pm 

Heh, I wish it was as good as that.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:48 pm 

I absolutely need recs on more bands like Verminous. Violent, frantic riffing with clever arrangements and songwriting. Excellent sound too.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:52 pm 

the_heathen wrote:

This should be a perfect fit to what you're looking for....

Like your reviews?

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:14 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Thanks! Eternal Majesty is like a hidden gem band... Both of their full lengths are of the highest caliber. Their first album From War to Darkness is still one that I remember being overwhelmed by the sheer aggression of it. Here just check it out, it's been out of print forever anyway. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXpTfh9j4to their non album releases are more Moonblood-ish sounding I think.

I already had a listen, that record definitely has my sort of sound ;) cheers man.

Ilwhyan wrote:
Heh, I wish it was as good as that.

Having heard Svartrit, yeah, me too!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 231  Next