Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:59 pm 

dildozer420 wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of a band called Der Weg Einer Freiheit?

They're well... atmospheric/prog black metal I'd call them.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eeodc2jEhss[/media]

Anyway, I've been in love with them and want to find more black metal like them but it's kinda hard, they seem to be kinda unique I suppose.

Lathspell's album Elegia reminds of them occassionally, although Lathspell is not as straight-forwardly melodic and saccharine.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:02 pm 

Newbie question; is all Paysage d'Hiver as good as Das Tor?! Because that album just blew me away (rather comical, albeit unintentional, pun).

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:20 pm 

The st demo is better, IMSO. DT is among his most excellent of course, but the entire discography is fine BM.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:22 pm 

I asked this because I read somewhere that some of his works are more ambient than black, as in that they have larger chunks of ambient that is. And I was kind of curious as to just how much that is true. I like the mix of black and ambient but too much ambient can sort of kill it for me. Should I go backwards from Das Tor or jump around a bit? Is there any album I shouldn't approach just right now?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:15 pm 

90% bm, 10% ambient: Das Tor, Paysage d'hiver, winterkalte, split with vinterriket, split with lunar aurora

80% bm, 20% ambient: Schattengang, Kristal & Isa

70% bm, 30% ambient: Nacht

50% bm, 50% ambient: Kerker

30% bm, 70% ambient: Steineiche

100% ambient: die festung, Einsamkeit

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:17 pm 

Going by what you said, there'd only be a few releases to specifically avoid: Die Festung, Einsamkeit, Steineiche.

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:19 pm 

Thanks for that mate, I appreciate the effort! :thumbsup:

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:27 am 

Quote:
Looking for some epic/symphonic black that doesn't sounds much like CoF and their similars, which is kinda hard to find. Something close to Lyfthrasyr and Stormlord, without clean vocals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNDEslxa-Qc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMs398QhHOk

Xanthochroid, Ne Obliviscaris and Nokturnal Mortum are some good symphonic ones, maybe not so much with Nokturnal Mortum but they are still awesome.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:45 pm 

I've been on a huge Finnish black metal binge all day, does anyone know of any good newer bands that are in the same vein as stuff like earlier Horna or Satanic Warmaster?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:51 pm 

For sure! Check out Cosmic Church, Blood Red Fog, Phlegein, Norns, Nattfog, Perisynti, Hamys and Korgonthurus. Not all of these are alike or exactly like those two bands, but they all contain that undeniably Finnish sense of melodicism in the riffing that's central to that style.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:09 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
I've been on a huge Finnish black metal binge all day, does anyone know of any good newer bands that are in the same vein as stuff like earlier Horna or Satanic Warmaster?

Not exactly like those two, but since iamntbatman beat me to most everything else I'm gonna recommend two bands I've been digging alot lately: Pantheon of Blood and Sargeist.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:10 pm 

Really liking Blood Red Fog, I'm hearing a lot of melancholic riffs in the song Harvest. The faster paced bands like Phlegein and Korgonthurus are more up my alley. Good stuff, thanks man.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:11 pm 

In addition to previous recs: Hautakammio, Kadotus, Teloch, Fomalhauth, Rahu, Perisynti, Verge, Baptism. All very Finnish. Forward Attack Squadron Suomiland.

WeaponsOfConquest
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:49 pm 

Hi guys,

Really into early gorgoroth, deathcult, celestial bloodshed, nastrond, lja, aura noir, early dodheimsgard, etc...basically anything that sounds like gorgoroth-pentagram. I've explored norway and sweden preety extensively, (always looking for more), but i'm looking to get into more polish, russian/ soviet bloc countries. What's good!?

thanks

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:51 pm 

Really liking Blood Red Fog, I'm hearing a lot of melancholic riffs in the song Harvest. The faster paced bands like Phlegein and Korgonthurus are more up my alley. Good stuff, thanks man.

Blood Red Fog is pretty excellent when in the mood for it. I love their self titled album and their EP "Radiating Desolation"

I need to give some of the other bands recently mentioned like Kadotus and Korgonthurus another listen

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:03 pm 

Might wanna try Mgla (if you haven't heard of them already) or the Polish band called Arkona. There's 3 or 4 bands from East Europe with the name Arkona so i'll just leave a link to one of their better tracks http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH0IO5hvPKA
Korgonthurus and Teloch are two of my favorites from these recs so far and I still have a few bands to check out. Basically, all these Finnish bands are excellent so far.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:38 pm 

Baptism is quite melancholic, but mostly mid-paced - similar to Blood Red Fog. Also similar, Arvet, which is somewhere in the same territory with Verge, Charnel Winds, Baptism and Blood Red Fog. Prevalent Resistance is very much Satanic Warmaster-like, but the riffs are also very Baptism-styled, though the music is overall faster and less lethargic. Nightside and Calvarium are faster, more spiteful bands with enough melancholic stylings in them to be considered part of the same sound. Teloch and Kadotus's first album are somewhat mellow like Prevalent Resistance, but also have fast-paced action. I'm confident you'll like the last two I mentioned the best. Then there's Vitsaus, which plays dark, desolate black metal with plenty of energy in it; it could be described as Finland's version of early Gorgoroth, since it features something of a Finnish folk music aesthetic in the melodies (where Infernus' riffs nodded towards Scandinavian folk at times).

Edit: Sorry, Dawud, you had Kadotus and Teloch covered already. To compensate, I'll add Warloghe, which is a more grim and Darkthronis approach to the same sound, and Förgjord, who are immensely raw, but with melancholy and melody aplenty. If you like Förgjord, also check out Vordr, which is also a raw band in an aggressive, melancholy style.

Edit 2: Note that if the material from Korgonthurus you've heard is not either the Musta Kappeli split or Marras, you'll find the aforementioned albums to be much more introspective and melancholic. If they are indeed either of the two, the band's other material is more aggressive and spiteful, somewhat like Horna's more punk-tinged aggression, or Musta Surma.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:04 pm 

Prevalent resistance is excellent too. I can hear that satanic warmaster influence a lot on their newer stuff like Eternal return.
The stuff I had sampled from Korgonthurus was from the Ristilla Madantyen EP (i've never been able to figure out how to use umlauts on computers) which definitely had that punk-ish vibe that a lot of these Finnish bands seem to have. Calvarium sounds pretty good too from a quick listen. I have over 20 hours of music that I need to listen to before hunting for more albums.

nachtsturm
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:28 am 

STORMM wrote:
nachtsturm wrote:

The new stuff is sounding great Nachtstrum, you any release date for the new album yet?

Very limited edition of the Demos available in a Box at

Obscure Abhorrence
http://www.obscure-abhorrence.de/index.php?lang=de

or Kristallblut Records (Box available here)
http://www.kristallblutrecords.com/shop/?lang=de

Listen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv5n0zh5YQ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qew4a6CaFjM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUXCS1yDHRM

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:01 am 

^ Sounds pretty good, I assume this is your band? Never heard it before, but I was actually putting together an order of a couple shirts and CDs from Obscure Abhorrence so maybe I will throw this in there. :beer:

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:28 pm 

Guys, can you recommend any bands that are similar to Cobalt, and even with similar production?

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:28 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
^ Sounds pretty good, I assume this is your band? Never heard it before, but I was actually putting together an order of a couple shirts and CDs from Obscure Abhorrence so maybe I will throw this in there. :beer:

^ Thanks for the update Nachtsturm. Sick6six, check these releases out for sure, quite unique and all great releases. Album four is also in the pipeline, one I shall pick up straight away. Great to see a label finally got these re-released!

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:13 pm 

Man, I love Finnish BM and had been interested in more and here you guys supply me with loads of bands I'd not heard. Thanks! All I can really add that hasn't been mentioned and isn't too obvious/too old (e.g. Impaled Nazarene or Azazel) is Arsonist Lodge, Arnaut Pavle and Sielunvihollinen, and maybe Bloodhammer, Annihilatus or Clandestine Blaze.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:21 pm 

androdion wrote:
dystopia4 wrote:
I know this is an odd request, but has bluesy elements ever been successfully integrated into black metal? The only thing I can think of is that one Pensées Nocturnes song.

Haven't you heard Glorior Belli? They're kind of groovy black meets southern/blues rock.

Late reply but... This sounded really cool, almost like the atmosphere of bluesy sludge captured by a black metal band.

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:01 am 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Implar wrote:
Hey guys, I don't know why, but I suddenly got an interest in the whole Nidrosian scene. I'm listening to Celestial Bloodshed's Omega right now and I really seem to enjoy it. Quite harsh, but some very nice atmosphere as well. What's the quintessential stuff in that "scene"?

Don't be afraid to mention the (to you) obvious, my black metal knowledge isn't as good as it should be. I usually listen to some Immortal or Darkthrone :)

Vemod

http://vemod.bandcamp.com/

Best black metal album of this year, so far.

Kind of late to the party but that is awesome stuff I do not really care about the scene but the music is really good! Anyone have anymore bands similar to this band.

Last edited by RainbowPrius19 on Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:13 am 

i know i posted a link to a few of their songs but i am curious is there any more like this?

http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured ... y-arcanum/

that is a full album stream and i am really struggling to find one or two songs that describe what i want, it has a lot of atmosphere and groove i guess i like those aspects to the album the most

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:15 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
Late reply but... This sounded really cool, almost like the atmosphere of bluesy sludge captured by a black metal band.

Yep, that's their thing. They don't deviate much from the style as far as I know, but if you like the formula you can take some enjoyment out of it. They have a new album coming out as well.

ScratchMyBack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:57 pm 

Still, no bands similar to Cobalt styled Black Metal?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:08 pm 

I honestly don't know of any. That mixture of aggressive, thrashy black metal, Neurosis-ish elements and tribal drumming is pretty unique.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:41 pm 

ThePoop wrote:
Looking for black metal that contains clean vocals done in a 90s rock or "grunge" style. The more the cleans resemble hard rock singers the better, and if the actual music takes a bit of influence from it as well then that's a bonus.

Here are two examples of what I'm after:
Dodsferd - A Pile of Shit; The Only Hope of Your World
Here he sounds a bit like Glenn Danzig. Quite different than the usual over-the-top cheesy black metal cleans.
http://youtu.be/PnRbW5YinaY?t=1m9s

Svarti Loghin - Kosmik Tomhet
The vocals here sound a lot like Eddie Vedder and the riff itself sounds a bit like a black metal version of a song that would show up on Pearl Jam's Vitalogy. Anything along these lines (perhaps a bit heavier) would be perfect.
http://youtu.be/nN73Kir0WHg?t=1m49s

Thanks gals and guys

Anyone?

Erhard_Dagda
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:53 am 

I've just discovered this awesome DSBM band from Russia. They've only released one album: Триумф чёрной меланхолии

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Alwaar/Триумф_чёрной_меланхолии/382449

...and they only have 2 songs on YouTube. Both of which are really incredible pieces of DSBM.

Alwaar - Безлюдье: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVqRE9vkiV8

Alwaar - Триумф чёрной меланхолии: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgorbPBiIps

Enjoy.

mirageasylum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:42 am 

So I've been listening to the Anaal Nathrakh's first full-lenght and really got into it - I love how fast and aggressive it can be without being too grindcore-ish or death metal-ish like most of their newer material (at least it felt like that to me after giving it one or two spins). Because to me, basically, when you throw away the scarce atmospherics, all you're left with is some vicious, fast-paced, extremely aggressive black metal. Far from the second wave classic sound, but it's definitely black metal.

I am really curious whether there are any bands / albums which deliver that sound and feel?

I love everything about that song - the drumming and batshit insane vocals especially though :). I'd be great to know more music like this.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:51 pm 

mirageasylum wrote:
So I've been listening to the Anaal Nathrakh's first full-lenght and really got into it - I love how fast and aggressive it can be without being too grindcore-ish or death metal-ish like most of their newer material (at least it felt like that to me after giving it one or two spins). Because to me, basically, when you throw away the scarce atmospherics, all you're left with is some vicious, fast-paced, extremely aggressive black metal. Far from the second wave classic sound, but it's definitely black metal.

I am really curious whether there are any bands / albums which deliver that sound and feel?

I love everything about that song - the drumming and batshit insane vocals especially though :). I'd be great to know more music like this.

Maybe you'll get a kick out of N.K.V.D.? Not as fast, but definitely similar-feeling music:

Celtic Frosted Flakes
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:13 pm 

mirageasylum wrote:

I personally love Fukpig, i know at least one member from AN is also in the band. They play some viciously black crust-grind mix. Maybe you'll like it, I think so.

mirageasylum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:39 am 

MutantClannfear wrote:
Not as fast, but definitely similar-feeling music

You're quite right, although without the agressive pace it's not really what I'm looking for. Nevertheless it does deliver the disquieting industrial feel, that's true.

Celtic Frosted Flakes wrote:
I personally love Fukpig, i know at least one member from AN is also in the band. They play some viciously black crust-grind mix. Maybe you'll like it, I think so.

It's perfect, exactly what I was looking for, actually :). Do you have any idea whether it is possible to get their CDs anywhere? I've been looking around the web but to no avail, unfortunately. And do you happen to know any more bands with a similar sound?

EDIT: OK, found it here after all: http://ds.bigcartel.com/

LayedBack01
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:44 pm 

Hey guys, been listening to metal for most of my life but it wasn't until the past 5 years or so when I really started to dive into the black metal genre. I've heard a lot and have plenty to listen to but I'm always looking for recommendations. What I'd like to do is post up some of my favorite black metal bands and albums (in which I'd highly recommend) and perhaps someone might have a suggestion for me going by my taste in music. So here it goes -

Arckanum - ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ
Bathory - first four + twilight of the gods and hammerheart (I like viking black too, Enslaved and Graveland)
Darkspace - Dark Space III
Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Deathspell Omega - Fas – Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum, Paracletus, Drought, Chaining the Katechon
Drudkh - Autumn Aurora, Blood in our Wells
Gris - Il Était une Forêt… (not quite sold on the new album but I love this one)
Master's Hammer - Ritual
Mefisto - The Truth
Megiddo - The Devil and the Whore
Morbid - December Moon
Mortuary Drape - Tolling 13 Knell
Paysage d'Hiver - Paysage d'Hiver
Ulver - Nattens Madrigal: Aatte Hymne til Ulven i Manden
Weakling - Dead as Dreams

A Forest of Stars - Opportunistic Thieves of Spring
Altar of Plagues - White Tomb
Aluk Todolo - Occult Rock
Burzum
Cobalt - Gin
Deströyer 666 - Unchain the Wolves
Dispirit - 111112
Fen - The Malediction Fields
Limbonic Art - In Abhorrence Dementia
Mgła - With Hearts Toward None
Murmuüre - Murmuüre
Necromantia - Scarlet Evil Witching Black
Njiqahdda - Yrg Alms
Nocternity - Onyx
Sabbat - The Dwelling
Svartsyn - ...His Majesty
Thorns - Thorns
Tormentor - Anno Domini
Windir
Witch In Her Tomb - Witch in Her Tomb
Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters

So as you can see I like many different styles, from the thrash-black bathory influenced albums to the more modern 'atmoback' for a lack of a better term (ie. Weakling) to experimental projects and interesting cross genres (ie. thorns, murmuure, aluk todolo. cobalt)

Also you can assume that I'm familiar with each bands other albums as well. I'm also familiar with most of the second wave Norwegian scene. The top list are my absolute favorites but of course the other albums I listed are awesome as well.

Grindcoremaniac135
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:13 am 

Anyone knows some bands like deathspell omega, blut aus nord and that kind of bm?

Gypaetus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:43 am 

Assuming you haven't done so, I'd recommend checking out the similar artists page for both DSO and blut aus nord - there's a bunch of bands worth checking out there that should be just what you're after.

@LayedBack01: It would be a lot easier to recommend something if you could be a little (a lot) more specific about what you're after. From that list alone it's just about impossible to recommend you anything - you may as well have written "can I have some bm to listen to?" Sorry if I sound harsh - it's just way too general of a request for me to help with.

LayedBack01
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:15 am 

But that's the thing... I like thrash-black, symphonic, atmospheric, ambient, folk, depressive, viking, mixes of death and doom, basically everything. Of course I'm picky about which specific albums I listen to but I'm not one to limit myself to a certain genre or type of black metal you know? It's just about the quality of the music. So basically what I'm hoping is that you guys will tell me what you think is good! Though I would prefer to get a recommendation of something that isn't very well known to the masses.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:27 am 

It's not really hard to go on from there by yourself. This thread is more useful for specific requests.

Quote:
and perhaps someone might have a suggestion for me going by my taste in music.
Mostly because it's so hard to know what that taste of yours is. For example, I very much like some of those, but find some others to be lacking or outright terrible.

So, how about rawer black metal somewhat in Arckanum's style? Bands like Horna, Behexen and Sargeist?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 231  Next