Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:41 pm 

Markov wrote:
Sweden: Naglfar, Dissection, Dawn, Vinterland, etc.

I'd suggest Kvist, Azure on their first album, and Unanimated. I think you'll love these three! ;)

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:21 pm 

Markov wrote:
Looking for melodic black metal, preferably from the Nordic countries. I've been listening to Finnish Black and Swedish black for a while, and some in Norway appealed to me.

I'm being country specific because those three titans have seemed to capture exactly the sound I had been looking for. Perhaps the good folks on this thread can recommend me some black metal that are somewhat like these:

Sweden: Naglfar, Dissection, Dawn, Vinterland, etc.
Finland: Sargeist, Satanic Warmaster, Behexen.
Norway: Iskald, early Darkthrone, etc.

Specifically if you play guitar, it could be nice to help me out find some invert-power-chord heavy black metal. (How redundant of me to say that). Sargiest and Satanic Warmaster have captured this sound quite nicely, and I've always loved the epic-story telling of Swedish melodic black/death bands doing the story telling with more of the music than the words.

Thanks in advance.

If you are looking for good melodic black metal from Norway I would reccommend you give Sworn a spin.

points_out_obvious
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:59 pm 

Markov wrote:
Dissection is my favorite band of all time, man. Hahah. Thulcandra's first album, Fallen Angel's Dominion, is pretty much a Storm of The Light's Bane rip off.

If you look at the tracks and the sounds, playing both albums at the same time...

Night Eternal is a direct rip-off of Night's Blood, Fallen Angel's Dominion is a direct rip-off of Retribution: Storm of The Light's Bane, Frozen Kingdom is a direct rip-off of Where Dead Angels Lie, Legions of Darkness is a direct rip-off of Soul Reaper. Hell, both albums even start with a guitar intro and end with a piano outro. Thulcandra is worshiping Dissection, and to be honest, the nostalgia factor of that album made it REALLY enjoyable for me. I loved the production.

Under a Frozen Sun is less of a rip-off and more of an inspiration from the Swedish Melodic Black/Death scene, and it was my favorite album of 2011. Definitely check it out if you have the time.

Also, Storm of The Light's Bane is probably the most influential album to me, but it may not be to you. I loved both The Somberlain and Storm of The Light's bane. Somberlain has more Death than black influence, and Storm of The Light's bane has more black than death influence. They are both titanic albums, and I've listened to them since I was about 8. (I'm 16 now)

I think youd like sacramentum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1YXIdfw ... re=related

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:19 am 

Your name lives up to my expectations... Hahah. Here's my last.fm. http://www.last.fm/user/AkorosMarkov I've listened to Sacramentum quite... a few times...

points_out_obvious
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:10 am 

Yeah I thought you probably had heard of them. Maybe try noctes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meLRgI_H ... re=related

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:57 am 

Sacramentum, Thulcandra, Vinterland, Iskald, it's all there.

Markov, try Aguynguerran. They have some Dissection knock-off riffs, competent musicianship, good production etc. Not much musical genius, but wholly enjoyable melodic black metal nevertheless.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:52 pm 

Markov: Give a listen to Sad Legend's s/t, Astriaal's "Renascent Misanthropy", and Lord Belial's "Angelgrinder". Let me know what you think of those and I'll try to recommend from there.

bloodpet64
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:10 am 

Looking for some Atmospheric/dark ambient black metal bands or just any that really stick out.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:45 am 

Going to assume you've already become familiar with Darkspace? The very embodiment of atmospheric and universe black darkness.

The debut from Keep Of Kalessin is a brilliantly rendered atmospheric piece of work.

Obligitory Verdunkeln mention.

The Ruins Of Beverast are colossally, monumentally atmospheric.

For pure, stygian, otherworldly darkness, Blut Aus Nord do not fail to deliver.

These are just some off the top of my head....and probably a little off what you're after, but there you are.

My collection

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:44 am 

bloodpet64 wrote:
Looking for some Atmospheric/dark ambient black metal bands or just any that really stick out.

If you enjoy Darkspace, you should also try Sun of the Blind.

Steer clear of Wrath of the Weak. It's faux-black metal with no riffs and endless copy-paste repetition. A total hoax. Also avoid Woods of Desolation unless you're into stuff like Alcest. It's ridiculously melodramatic and contrived.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:07 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Also avoid Woods of Desolation unless you're into stuff like Alcest. It's ridiculously melodramatic and contrived.

You def don't like that album bro lol :) I still really enjoy it, love many of the riffs and find they are very memorable and infectious though would agree the op would prob not find what he is looking here.
Have you guys every check out the uk's Darkness, I have not listen to then in a while but I remember their 'As The Last Star Falls From Heaven' being an enjoyable piece, similar in ways to Darkspace with the hyper programmed drums etc also try Trist's 'Hinfort'.

** Also op do yourself a favour and try Evilfeast, especially his 'Lost Horizons...' album, Grimspirit is one of the best in the business IMO at this style **

Ilwhyan forgot to mention I got the Iblis cd and it is not a bad album, as for the Windir comparison I can def hear the similarities in that track you mention, the melodies remind me of 'Journet to the End'.

** = A must listen!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:10 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Markov: Give a listen to Sad Legend's s/t, Astriaal's "Renascent Misanthropy", and Lord Belial's "Angelgrinder". Let me know what you think of those and I'll try to recommend from there.

Had to check out Sad Legend myself, and I listened to the song Han, and what a frustrating piece of music it is, it could've been so good if half of the stuff wasn't so poor in taste.

bloodpet64
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:22 pm 

haha well i do like Alcest :P and the other blackgaze bands. I actually just checked out Woods of Desolation and it's good but not good enough for me to like. thanks for help guys! Managed to find Skagos on my own, pretty good so far too.

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:47 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Zodijackyl wrote:

Had to check out Sad Legend myself, and I listened to the song Han, and what a frustrating piece of music it is, it could've been so good if half of the stuff wasn't so poor in taste.

gotta disagree, i love sad legend, especially the self titled album

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:10 am 

Kveldulfr, by the way, the song Demonseed by Matricide has a riff I'm sure you'll like. It's off the Holy Virgin EP.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:57 am 

Fuckin' great ep as well. Wish they would release another full length along these lines. The vinyl version that I have (as well as the cd, yeah I like it THAT much :grin:), has a pretty damn good Thou Art Lord cover as a bonus track.

My collection

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:05 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Kveldulfr, by the way, the song Demonseed by Matricide has a riff I'm sure you'll like. It's off the Holy Virgin EP.

Thanx again! I'll check it out!

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:22 pm 

I keep hearing about Greek bands making great metal. I know fuck all about Greek music. Anyone want to help me out and name me some starting points? I'll request Black Metal first because it's my favorite, but if anyone has some overall great recs from Greece I'll happily take those.
Thanks!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:14 pm 

Rotting Christ, Varatheon, Necromantia and Agatus! I guess we could add Septic Flesh as well. You also have Nocternity, cool rawer bm than the previously mentionned ones.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:53 pm 

Dephosphorus is pretty ace too

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:37 pm 

Kawir, Naer Mataron, Burial Hordes, and Macabre Omen are all very good black metal bands from Greece, particularily Burial Hordes.

If you want some kickass heavy/power metal then check out Battleroar.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:54 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:
I'm looking for really aggressive black metal with lots of blastbeats, any recs?

I wholeheartedly second Thunderbolt, they're completely intense. Also in that vein, check out Frozen Shadows, pre-gay Keep Of Kalessin, Antaeus, and Otargos

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:06 am 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
Z0MBIE wrote:
I'm looking for really aggressive black metal with lots of blastbeats, any recs?

I'll add 1349 to this list, if you haven't already heard them (Which is quite a shocker) been spinning Hellfire as of late, and it is a very impressive album, and aggressive as hell. If you haven't listened yet, this is the time, you won't regret it.

HeySharpshooter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:47 am 

I'm looking for raw black metal. Here are some examples of what I enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziCoKvRSp20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcIf881ribQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLRmFItlFDY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9lNGQUk7u0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArktiwwAGas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS5dnqAZCMg

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:34 am 

Thanks for the recs. I'm exploring them now. So far Nocternity is the only one that's really caught my interest. Appreciate your time :wink:

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:05 am 

Thanks for all the recs, So far I've listened to Aguynguerran's first album. To be honest, it didn't peak my interest much, but there were few moments here and there with good melodies. Seemed like old fashioned rocking death metal than what I was mainly looking for. On Astriaal's Renascent Misanthropy, and I am REALLY impressed, so far. I'll let you know what I think of Azure, Lord Belial, Noctes and Sad Legend as I listen through 'em.

Edit: Just finished with Astriaal. I really, really liked the album, thanks. Onto Azure. On the first two tracks right now, and sounds really good, this seems to be more of what I like.

Thanks again and cheers!

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:23 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Rotting Christ, Varatheon, Necromantia and Agatus! I guess we could add Septic Flesh as well. You also have Nocternity, cool rawer bm than the previously mentionned ones.

Adding Deviser to those bands. Unspeakable Cults is excellent.

Plazma60
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:43 pm 

I'm a little new to Black Metal, but recently one of my friends introduced me to the band Immortal and their album "At The Heart Of Winter", and since then, it's been playing non-stop on my iPod and CD player, haha. Are there any other Black Metal bands in the same sort of vein as Immortal?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:43 pm 

Yeah: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_metal

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:42 am 

Plazma60 wrote:
I'm a little new to Black Metal, but recently one of my friends introduced me to the band Immortal and their album "At The Heart Of Winter", and since then, it's been playing non-stop on my iPod and CD player, haha. Are there any other Black Metal bands in the same sort of vein as Immortal?

Hello and welcome Plazma60, for a bit of mid-period Immortal worship check out Balfor (UKR) 'Barbarian Blood' and Norway's Byfrost. Also check out the recent debut from Demonaz (ex-Immortal) 'March of the Norse' for a solid effort, though I will admit none of these releases being as good as ATHOW.
Also just remember Sweden's Rimfrost, thrashy stuff indeed.

@ Metantoine I am just after finally remembering Balfor and Rimfrost from your previous Immortal request, I told you I would remember them, even though it took me a week! :) so check them out bro.

~Guest 285672
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:45 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:

Thanks a lot for these! I listened through Astriaal yesterday and was genually impressed. Great Australian meloblack.

Now Sad Legend... It's now playing and I'm being blown away. This is amazing work, kind of reminds me of Vinterland.

I listened to a few Lord Belial tracks this morning and was a bit unimpressed. Seems like they are trying too hard to be evil instead of focusing on melodies. Maybe it's just me, but I haven't listened to all of it completely.

So far Sad Legend and Azure have been my favorites, thanks a lot to Zoid, And, and everyone else who rec'd.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:08 am 

Markov wrote:

So far Sad Legend and Azure have been my favorites, thanks a lot to Zoid, And, and everyone else who rec'd.

Have you ever tried Aldaaron Markov? They are not from the Nordic countries but still well worth a listen. There debut has been a favourite of mine in recent years, choke full of ice cold melodies, check them out and see what you think.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:08 am 

Finally received the new Lunar Aurora album and after first listen I am please with the comeback. It is lacking a bit on the sound and production they had acheived on 'Andacht', their finest moment in my opinion but overall it is one of their better releases and I think it will be a bit of a grower, not that they had many bad release to begin with.

Orthodox Caveman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:37 am 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
Pre-gay Keep Of Kalessin

Are you kidding me? "Pre-gay"? Is current Keep Of Kalessing not TRVUEEEEEE enough for you? Child.

Inspector_Satan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:54 pm 

Would "pre-TERRIBLE MUSIC" offend your sensibilities any less?

Orthodox Caveman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:10 pm 

Inspector_Satan wrote:
Would "pre-TERRIBLE MUSIC" offend your sensibilities any less?

It's not terrible. Not my kind of stuff either, but far from terrible. Just not your taste.

slayer85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:05 am 

Any decent black metal bands anyone can reccomend from Hungary?

jaxonferz0
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:15 am 

I have kind of a strict request and would love if someone could help me out.

I would like some pretty aggressive black metal with really politically charged lyrics. By politically charged I mean from the liberal side so stuff that's like anti war, anti corporation, and anti corruption. If some songs have different lyrical themes that's fine as long as most are political. Please no satanic lyrics.
Along with this I would prefer if the production is somewhat well done and the vocals were slightly accessable.

I don't have a large collection of black metal (with most of it being not strictly black) but to give you an idea of what I have a taste for, a few bands I really enjoy are Wodensthrone, Totalselfhatred, and keep of kalessin

Thank you in advance for any recommendations! It's really helpful!

Edit: oh, and one last thing, is appreciate it if the band took themselves seriously. By that I mean no silly name or cover art or anything. If a bands name is Ass raper of goats and there cover art is someone Ass raping a goat, I just find it a little too immature for my taste
at least average production

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:10 am 

slayer85 wrote:
Any decent black metal bands anyone can reccomend from Hungary?

Try Bronholm and Sear Bliss to begin with slayer85, both bands are great, Sear Bliss make good use of brass section which works well with their blend of Atmospheric black. On the 1st Bornholm demo they do a pretty good version of Carl Orff's 'Carmina Burana' which is worth a listen.

Also, Forest Silence are a side project of winter, ex-Sear Bliss, their debut album is another fine piece of atmospheric black metal. His early demo's are quality ambient releases similar to Paysage D'Hiver's ambient work. These bands would be some of the more 'popular' from the country if you already know them we will have to go further into the underground.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:43 am 

jaxonferz0 wrote:
I would like some pretty aggressive black metal with really politically charged lyrics. By politically charged I mean from the liberal side so stuff that's like anti war, anti corporation, and anti corruption. If some songs have different lyrical themes that's fine as long as most are political. Please no satanic lyrics.

What on earth for? Black metal, as a whole should (as I see it) stand for the exact opposite of what you are asking for therefore negating the black metal tag. RABM should have no association with black metal.

My collection

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 231  Next