Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Murtal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:39 pm 

Hey

I've listened many black metal bands, in every subgenres but I want to listen such a "roots" :d

I know immortal,burzum (etc) famous and other influencing bands, but I want "others of roots"

Link me what to listen,or every beginner black metal listener must know.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:53 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
Ahh that sounds good, I recognize the art from the latest Acrimonious album, I almost picked that up at one point, might give it a shot. What do you think about the Dodsengel EP's like their self titled and the compilation of 2 of their other ones? I'm still not sure how I feel about Nightbringer, but their split sounds kinda cool and they have a new album coming out end of this month. I sampled Nightbringer's last album and thought it might have too much occult/ambient stuff and not enough "black metal" for me, but maybe the entire album as a whole is different.

Yeah never got round to that Acrimonious record in favour of other stuff until I saw the chance to hear it for almost nothing, and although I was probably right to pursue other similiar bands first it has some bloody good stuff on it nonetheless. Opening track is an absolute stunner actually.

Honestly so far I've found that Dodsengel's EPs, while good and worth hearing, are a little bit inferior to their albums, especially Miriam Occultum just works amazingly in its full harsh glory. However, the splits that they've done recently (with Nightbringer last year and Hetroertzen this year) are a totally different matter, both highlights of the respective year.

In fact since you're looking for some top notch Nightbringer material, maybe just get the Circumambulations of the Solar Inferno split with Dodsengel. Fantastic throughout, the songs by Dodsengel are so dark, and so quintessentially black metal while having this highly disturbing atmosphere all their own.

I'd definitely recommend listening through Heirophany of the Open Grave too, as it is Nightbringer's best written full-length, and although there are ambient moments and a lot of samples and synths behind the music, it's nowhere near as ubiquitous as on like an Acherontas record. This is still nine parts violent black metal. Apocalypse Sun is a good listen to me as well just because it's so brutally single-minded with all those ear-splitting trem-picked riffs going on pretty much non-stop the whole run time, almost monotonous really but in this hideous, hypnotic way. Can't wait for the next album to come out, will get round to checking which distros it will be at in Europe but I'm tempted to pre-order through Bandcamp so I can get the digital version right away.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:09 pm 

I kinda got that same feeling from what I heard of the Dodsengel EPs, I will definitely check out their splits and that Nightbringer album now though, thanks for the info again!

Also what you said "Apocalypse Sun is a good listen to me as well just because it's so brutally single-minded with all those ear-splitting trem-picked riffs going on pretty much non-stop the whole run time, almost monotonous really but in this hideous, hypnotic way." sounds awesome!

Edward K
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:28 pm 

I'm looking for a band or some bands that have a very similar sound to Peste Noire. I really love their fast, "riffy", thin/shrill (without being what I'd call "raw") sound, but I don't wish to delve further into their music because I don't agree with their ideology. So if anyone knows any non-NSBM/nationalist bands that have a similar sound, please let me know.

Here's an example of what I mean:

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:52 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
I kinda got that same feeling from what I heard of the Dodsengel EPs, I will definitely check out their splits and that Nightbringer album now though, thanks for the info again!

Also what you said "Apocalypse Sun is a good listen to me as well just because it's so brutally single-minded with all those ear-splitting trem-picked riffs going on pretty much non-stop the whole run time, almost monotonous really but in this hideous, hypnotic way." sounds awesome!

Hope you like it man and no worries. Talking about it made me put Apocalypse Sun on (I don't usually play it as much as that split and Hierophany) and it really has some stretches of truly terrific, pitch-black guitar work. Enjoy!

DCCLXXVII
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:04 pm 

Murtal wrote:
Hey

I've listened many black metal bands, in every subgenres but I want to listen such a "roots" :d

I know immortal,burzum (etc) famous and other influencing bands, but I want "others of roots"

This.

Have fun.
In the light of Christ

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:43 pm 

DCCLXXVII wrote:
This.

Spoiler: show

Have fun.

Um...how about NO!

I'm not going to get into the whole unblack metal debate here but I can't take serious any black metal with lyrics such as:

Master Christ Jesus
Ruler of day and night
Within thy force we fight
I thank you Lord Jesus
for your blood and grace
Through that I can meet you God
face to face

I'm not much on the "praise Satan" lyrics either but come on...it is called BLACK metal. You want to be able to feel the cold and grimness of black metal.

@Murtal
If you want black metal that stays true to the roots and is not one of the more famous bands then try...

or

or

Like your reviews?

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:25 am 

DNS and Tsjuder are pretty fucking legit in my next-to-worthless opinion. Crimson Moonlight too, I personally have no problem with "unblack metal" so long as it's good musically.

Edward K:

Too bad you said no "nationalist" bands, because the closest to Peste Noire I can think of would probably be Akitsa, who are likely just as "problematic" in their own way.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:49 am 

aren't akitsa like Quebecois nationalists, i mean they're probably bad but theres a different dynamic to european nationalists in europe.

Murtal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:23 am 

mjollnir wrote:
DCCLXXVII wrote:
This.

Spoiler: show

Have fun.

Um...how about NO!

I'm not going to get into the whole unblack metal debate here but I can't take serious any black metal with lyrics such as:

Master Christ Jesus
Ruler of day and night
Within thy force we fight
I thank you Lord Jesus
for your blood and grace
Through that I can meet you God
face to face

I'm not much on the "praise Satan" lyrics either but come on...it is called BLACK metal. You want to be able to feel the cold and grimness of black metal.

@Murtal
If you want black metal that stays true to the roots and is not one of the more famous bands then try...

or

or

thanx

but can you add some more please ??

and also recommend me some black doom metal bands.

with a little speed

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:43 pm 

For Black Doom check out Barathrum.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:59 pm 

You could take a look through my collection for a lot of great black metal bands.

heavymetalbanger1989
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:08 am 

Murtal wrote:
Hey

Do you mean other "second wave" bands or the bands that influenced those bands?

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:56 am 

Looking for more stuff like the first Pensees Nocturnes album; Lush melodic instrumentation alongside the usual black metal stuff, preferably with similarly agonized vocals. The vocals are of less importance than the first part though. I already know and fucking love Gris. This is the song that most exemplifies what I'm looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6tjvgVzJG8

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:46 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Unity wrote:
I need help regarding Bathory. I really enjoy Satyricon's and Immortal's earlier albums and I've heard they are heavily influenced by Bathory, so I'm looking for Bathory albums that sound like that.

Dude, every Norwegian black metal band is going to be influenced by Bathory. The only thing I can tell you is to just listen to Bathory's first four albums.

Thanks, have done so, my favourite by far was "Under The Sign Of The Black Mark". :)

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:49 pm 

I've been going over my Countess collection a bit in anticipation of receiving his newest album, and I've decided Spawn of Steel is his best album. I'm not a huge fan of the processed super-distorted vocals, because his natural tone is so savage, but I think in terms of songwriting and PURE RIFFERY this is his strongest outing ever. On almost all of his albums that I love (Burning Scripture, Blazing Flames of War, On Wings of Defiance) it seems to be the speedier tracks that have a real "afterthought" feel, with faceless boring riffs just because he needed a few fast songs. Not the case on Spawn of Steel. The tracks are so well balanced, full of moody verses and those almost nursery-like leads that he busts out. I love Thermopylae, that chorus is HUGE! Ghosts of Leather kills. Alone Against the World might be one in the top 5 songs Orlok has ever penned, getting over on pure atmosphere until it finally explodes into a muscular thumper.

It sounds like he existed on a diet of nothing but the first four Manowar albums before he recorded this material. What a weird band.

Murtal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:56 pm 

heavymetalbanger1989 wrote:
Murtal wrote:
Hey

Do you mean other "second wave" bands or the bands that influenced those bands?

bands that influenced those bands

Unity wrote:
For Black Doom check out Barathrum.

I know that

something else please

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:36 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Countess collection

I never got Countess, I downloaded Heilig Vuur right when it came out after I saw those 3 100% reviews that are still there. It had some OK parts I guess, the only thing I remember is the title track which had a catchy, but not really good "chorus" section. I found the CD in my old dusty case of ripped CDs like a year ago and gave it another shot, still don't get it. I guess he has 20 other albums though maybe I picked the wrong one?

P.S. Really like what I'm hearing of this Nightbringer - Apocalypse Sun album so far.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:47 pm 

He does have a fairly prolific discography and the sound has changed a lot since the start. Heilig Vuur is one of the albums where he really started shifting towards a more trad. metal sound, although the lyrical themes are still more black metal oriented. I honestly don't understand the perfect scores for that one either. It's a good album and I do enjoy it but I think it suffers for being a transitional release. If you prefer the black metal stuff I would go back to something like Ad Maiorem Sathanae Gloriam. Or Spawn of Steel if you'd rather hear his take on fist pumping hair raising trad metal. That album is just chock full of anthems. Either way you go, you have to understand that his music is half-retarded. I can't explain why it appeals to me so much, and I know it's "outsider" shit even by metals standards. He's clearly influenced by all my favorite stuff, and he has some HUGE ideas, but none of the musical ability to pull them off. And that just appeals to me. It's harebrained and almost childlike in execution, and I tend to love it.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:40 am 

Murtal wrote:

Bathory, Sodom, Hellhammer, Mortuary Drape, Root, Sarcofago, Tormentor, etc. Basically you just want first wave bands.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:03 pm 

Looking for more respectable black n'roll like Khold. Kvelertak sucks, I know Satyricon, Darkthrone,Craft, etc and I prefer gruffer production (always).

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:47 pm 

^Horned Almighty, I just mentioned their new album. Some Dodsferd as well. Koldbrann - Moribund and Ravencult - Morbid Blood and maybe their other stuff (forget what it sounds like) Edit: Plaga - Magia gwiezdnej entropii I think?

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:06 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
^Horned Almighty, I just mentioned their new album. Some Dodsferd as well. Koldbrann - Moribund and Ravencult - Morbid Blood and maybe their other stuff (forget what it sounds like)

Thanks. Koldbrann's promising, the best of the bunch (although I do enjoy that first dodsferd lp quite a bit). Digging Ravencult too, always thought they were a polished black thrash band.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:22 pm 

I'm back looking for some melodic but depressive BM. Bands I like are Nyktalgia, Hinsidig, Helvetespine, Wigrid, Seelengreif, Stillhet, Walknut and Angantyr's 'Haevn.' Please nothing too obvious, I know all of the most obvious DSBM bands. DSBM sort of has what I'm looking for but it doesn't need to be labeled as DSBM for me to like it; for such bands, think more Nyktalgia and less Silencer. Thanks.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:29 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:
I'm back looking for some melodic but depressive BM. Bands I like are Nyktalgia, Hinsidig, Helvetespine, Wigrid, Seelengreif, Stillhet, Walknut and Angantyr's 'Haevn.' Please nothing too obvious, I know all of the most obvious DSBM bands. DSBM sort of has what I'm looking for but it doesn't need to be labeled as DSBM for me to like it; for such bands, think more Nyktalgia and less Silencer. Thanks.

probably know a few, but i'll cover the bases.
Diaboli
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7cK9b77ekE

Lyrinx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi553fF2IkE

Coldworld
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9bdbLWZlqg

Klage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YSa54yC6YY

Be Persecuted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OqibhLxWA4

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:51 pm 

Jophelerx wrote:

"Band" I just noticed existed and also has a new album
from first album:

new song

Murtal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:28 am 

can you link me threads about black metal,like this thread ?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66235&hilit=funebre

Sir Vic Rattlehead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:48 pm 

Can anyone suggest some early bands like venom, bathory, celtic frost, hellhammer?

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:07 pm 

Sir Vic Rattlehead wrote:
Can anyone suggest some early bands like venom, bathory, celtic frost, hellhammer?

I know this is the recommendation thread and all, but come on. People ask for bands similar to these bands all the time. Try using the search function. Also, each of these bands has a similar artist tab in their profile. We'll help but let's not get lazy here. ;)

Like your reviews?

thrashmaniac87
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:29 pm 

The similar artists tabs for these bands pretty much nail it. I especially like the first two Running Wild albums. And if you want a newer band listen to Midnight, specifically Satanic Royalty.

untappd: patrick_g

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:24 am 

Murtal wrote:
Hey

Rotting Christ
Beherit
Graveland
Dissection
Mutiilation
Abigor
Sacramentum
Summoning
Ildjarn

early albums and demo's of course

Lord Tempestuous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:32 am 

Murtal wrote:

Oh, well: Venom, Bathory, Hellhammer/Celtic Frost, Sarcofago, Kreator, Sodom, Destruction, Tormentor, Samael. Non metal stuff too like, Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream, Dead Can Dance and When

tanta
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:27 am 

I've been unable to find the english lyrics for Wędrujący Wiatr songs. I would like to ask if anyone knows anywhere that has translations; Wędrujący Wiatr Tam, gdzie miesiąc opłakuje świt, or any song from this album separated that you might could know. I appreciate, thanks.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:07 pm 

omnishadow wrote:
Alright since nobody replied to my request I'll make a easy one. Melodic, melancholic, depressive BM that aren't too atmospheric and slow. Piano/keybords is welcomed, but don't have to be overused. Recs similar to this would be great.

Anyone have a rec?

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:30 pm 

omnishadow wrote:
omnishadow wrote:
Alright since nobody replied to my request I'll make a easy one. Melodic, melancholic, depressive BM that aren't too atmospheric and slow. Piano/keybords is welcomed, but don't have to be overused. Recs similar to this would be great.

Anyone have a rec?

Try this excellent French band Sacrificia Mortuorum. Slow-ish stuff in their full-lengths, but nothing exhaustive or dragging (the key being they are good songwriters) the demos are a bit faster and generally in a different style if you need that, but it's the melancholic guitars over the mid-paced beats on stuff like Maturum Est or the sensational split they did with Horna that does it for me.

EDIT: It isn't strictly classified as depressive, but I reckon it could be your bag.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:47 am 

tanta wrote:
I've been unable to find the english lyrics for Wędrujący Wiatr songs. I would like to ask if anyone knows anywhere that has translations; Wędrujący Wiatr Tam, gdzie miesiąc opłakuje świt, or any song from this album separated that you might could know. I appreciate, thanks.

i don't think you'll find anyone who's bother to translate them, google translate would give you an idea of what they're about

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:18 am 

Thx. Yeah, I can hear the melancholic and depressive guitars. Also the songwriting is brilliant... the only problem is the production, that I found a little raw. Funny thing is that most of bands that I listen are raw as fuck, but when it comes to the melodic, depressive side I prefer a better production.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:08 am 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Jophelerx wrote:

probably know a few, but i'll cover the bases.
Diaboli
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7cK9b77ekE

Lyrinx
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi553fF2IkE

Coldworld
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9bdbLWZlqg

Klage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YSa54yC6YY

Be Persecuted
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OqibhLxWA4

Thanks, I've been super busy the last few days but will check them out soon. Already know Coldworld, they don't do a lot for me, but will check the others.

macmoney wrote:
Isn't there a little mindshadow in all of us? I like to think so.

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:45 pm 

omnishadow wrote:
Thx. Yeah, I can hear the melancholic and depressive guitars. Also the songwriting is brilliant... the only problem is the production, that I found a little raw. Funny thing is that most of bands that I listen are raw as fuck, but when it comes to the melodic, depressive side I prefer a better production.

Maybe try the later couple of records. To my ears, they aren't as raw, although given I listen to a hell of a lot of raw stuff I might be basing this on my own preferences and it may still be less polished than you would enjoy. Though not up to scratch with their previous ones the epic sense of melancholy is intact.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:36 am 

If you don't have it already, you need Tormentor - 'Anno Domini' in your collection. Total fucking classic.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 231  Next