Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:03 pm 

Cry_In_The_Night wrote:
Ok. So here's the thing. I really like black metal, but I'm really peculiar when it comes to what kinds of it I like, and it's very hard for me to find bands nowadays.

As much as I love Darkthrone, I hate almost everything else cut from the Transylvanian Hunger mold. There's a myriad of Darkthrone-worshipping bands out there and they mostly sound like utter shit. This is not the kind of music I want to find when searching for worthwhile black metal. Replace "Darkthrone" in the past sentences with "Burzum" and you've basically still got a true story. Burzum-worship is also not something I'm really into. Beherit worship, while often being significantly better than the two aforementioned categories, is also not really what I'm looking for.

Nedless to say, this makes it hard for me to find new bands. What I'm looking for is black metal with emphasis on great riffing coupled with the kind of atmosphere present on Mayhem's albums up to and including De Mysteriis. Now, finding bands cut out from the early Mayhem mold is a lot harder than finding bands that try to imitate Burzum or Darkthrone. I know about Svartsyn, and some of their material fits exactly into the kind of black metal I am looking for (The material from the split with Arckanum being the best example IMO). Behexen also kind of fits what I'm looking for, and so does Inquisition to an extent. I don't really know how to explain it better, but if there are any bands that play this kind of no-nonsense black metal of the Mayhem variety I'd be happy to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

You familiar with Negator cry in the night, if not try them, their debut is a lethal piece of work -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUn0W2_ue88

I second Sorcier Des Glaces, especially their "...Primitive Forest.." album.

STORMM
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:14 pm 

Sick6Six wrote:
I'm listening to Darkspace III on youtube and it's sounding pretty awesome, there seems to be a lot more fast paced metal than ambiance so far... Normally I don't like much ambient or keys, but in bands like this it works. Anyway are I, II, and III all pretty equal or is there one in particular I should pick up first? I need to stop buying shit for awhile so I'm trying to just pick one! I recently got Paysage D'hiver - Das Tor and Winterkälte which are both awesome.

In order I would go III,II,I Sick6Six. Both above are awesome bands, Wintherr is a genius when it comes to atmosphere and I believe Das Tor is the final PDH release though I hope this is not true.

Same probably could be said for A1V, his main band Finster are an excellent underground band to check out, they remind me of Darkspace -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhZzH4QqeWw

Then try his side project, Alrakis, again very atmospheric and focus's like Darkspace on space, though much slower, hope you enjoy.

Cry_In_The_Night
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:48 pm 

Well, thanks for all the recs so far.

Negator seems sort of ok. Sorcier des Glaces seem a bit too melodic for what I'm looking for, but maybe I'll warm up to it. In the process of making a youtube playlist right now so I can listen to all this stuff more thoroughly.

Horna and Sargeist are also known to me, as are some other bands that sort of fit the formula such as Katharsis, the first Ofermod EP and Denial of God.

This style of music is incredibly hard to find among all the shitty Darkthrone and Burzum clones out there so your help is much appreciated. And extra special thanks for Nocturn Darkened Slaughtercult, seems they rule and I've totally dismissed them in the past.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 6:39 pm 

Cry_In_The_Night wrote:
extra special thanks for Nocturn Darkened Slaughtercult, seems they rule and I've totally dismissed them in the past.

No problem :) it sounds like you enjoy the faster more aggressive stuff, so i would say give The new Besatt album (or Black Mass) and Lutomysl - De Profundis (I wrote a review about this one) a try. Some of the stuff is hit or miss with those bands. Did you check out Endstille? they are very fast and usually anti-melodic.

Going to add just 2 more to the list of more aggressive bands. Enjoy

Kult Ov Azazel (a few of the reviews for this band need to be removed as they are obviously written by a kid who loves slipknot)
Spoiler: show

Infernal War

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:26 pm 

I'll second the Infernal War recommendation. :)

That Guy 666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:06 am 

Requesting really necrotic sounding black metal similar to Mutiilation, Ashdautas, Mayhem. Bands where the singer sounds like he's blaring death through his vocals.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:31 am 

Cry_In_The_Night:

Check out Thunderbolt, Armagedda, Tsjuder, Demonic Slaughter, Craft, Ondskapt, Ofermod. These are all evil, violent and intense bands in their own ways. Craft is almost entirely midpaced whereas Thunderbolt has only fast stuff.

If you don't mind Darkthrone's Funeral Moon, try Beastcraft. If you like some death/black, go for Azarath.

Rawer stuff: Maniac Butcher, Vordr, Förgjord, Ljå, Impious Havoc

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:15 am 

That Guy 666 wrote:
Requesting really necrotic sounding black metal similar to Mutiilation, Ashdautas, Mayhem. Bands where the singer sounds like he's blaring death through his vocals.

Ilwhyan just suggested these guys for the other guy, but if you like early Mutiilation you will like this

Another recent favorite of mine, the vocals are very harsh and have a proud sound as if he knows he's better than you

Can't go wrong with Dodsferd

Sekhmet

Pagan Hellfire

You probably know about Vitsaus

Also in response to Ilhwyan's post I need to give Thunderbolt another listen and I would add Aosoth and Pact to the list of evil, violent, intense bands.
Here's a badass Pact song

That Guy 666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:41 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
That Guy 666 wrote:

Ilwhyan just suggested these guys for the other guy, but if you like early Mutiilation you will like this

Another recent favorite of mine, the vocals are very harsh and have a proud sound as if he knows he's better than you

Can't go wrong with Dodsferd

Sekhmet

Pagan Hellfire

You probably know about Vitsaus

Also in response to Ilhwyan's post I need to give Thunderbolt another listen and I would add Aosoth and Pact to the list of evil, violent, intense bands.
Here's a badass Pact song

None of these are bad, but none of them really stood out as something I'd remember or add to my library. Note wise they weren't really grim enough. They had the melancholie feeling, but I was hoping for more of a graveyard, buried in a coffin, Imma zombie kind of feel. I'm talking sour off key notes, and really tortured throaty sounding shreaks or barfy sounds (like mutiilation's vocals).

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:58 am 

Damn you're a tough customer, I have a few more, but I'll wait and see what some other people suggest.

Guitarpro77889
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:40 pm 

do you mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21YnC7loRmk

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:56 am 

Don't need a rec I'm just popping in to say I gave Inquisition's "ominous Doctrines of a Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm" and Guys I get it. I finally fucking get it!! This album after one listen is already in my top black metal albums of all time. It's not just amateurish noise thrown together to create some half ass satanic atmosphere. This is read face-melting riffing and drumming. Guys I'm blown away and I'm kicking myself in the ass for ever being a skeptic. The vocals fit so well I don't know why I ever hated them. Fuck I gotta spin this again!

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 10:13 am 

HellishHound wrote:
Don't need a rec I'm just popping in to say I gave Inquisition's "ominous Doctrines of a Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm" and Guys I get it. I finally fucking get it!! This album after one listen is already in my top black metal albums of all time. It's not just amateurish noise thrown together to create some half ass satanic atmosphere. This is read face-melting riffing and drumming. Guys I'm blown away and I'm kicking myself in the ass for ever being a skeptic. The vocals fit so well I don't know why I ever hated them. Fuck I gotta spin this again!

Congrats! I can't wait til their next album and headlining tour hopefully by the end of this year or early next. When I saw them headline a year or two ago it was fucking amazing :thumbsup:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:17 am 

Yes, the band is absolutely phenomenal live.

Check out the rest of their discography, too: the band is basically the Bolt Thrower of black metal, with a really immediately recognizable style yet one that cannot be classified as anything other than what it is. Each release is of very high quality and won't disappoint if you liked the newest one.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:26 am 

Sick6Six wrote:
Congrats! I can't wait til their next album and headlining tour hopefully by the end of this year or early next. When I saw them headline a year or two ago it was fucking amazing :thumbsup:

I sincerely hope they tour somewhere near South Carolina, because you can bet my ass will be there now!

iamntbatman wrote:
Yes, the band is absolutely phenomenal live.

Check out the rest of their discography, too: the band is basically the Bolt Thrower of black metal, with a really immediately recognizable style yet one that cannot be classified as anything other than what it is. Each release is of very high quality and won't disappoint if you liked the newest one.

Trust me, I plan too. That one spin solidified it for me: I have to check out everything this bands ever done. I was just so blown away, I wasn't expecting it to be so damn good.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:31 am 

They usually end with this song from their first album and it absolutely crushes! They have added a lot of things to it since it was recorded, such as the super fast double bass they play for the last 20 seconds or so.

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 1:26 pm 

Man, their live shows look so amazing. Lots of energy. Wow, I definitely hope they come near SC, I will do anything to see this band live.

On a completely unrelated note I got curious and decided to look for black metal bands started at the same time as 2nd wave Norwegian bm bands but not in Norway because it never really occurred to me that black metal wasn't just happening in Norway at the time. Any way I found out their wasn't just one but two bm bands started in Israel during that time. That should sufficiently piss off every hardcore racist nsbm guy out there :)

Implar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:08 pm 

Hey guys, I don't know why, but I suddenly got an interest in the whole Nidrosian scene. I'm listening to Celestial Bloodshed's Omega right now and I really seem to enjoy it. Quite harsh, but some very nice atmosphere as well. What's the quintessential stuff in that "scene"?

Don't be afraid to mention the (to you) obvious, my black metal knowledge isn't as good as it should be. I usually listen to some Immortal or Darkthrone :)

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:39 pm 

Implar wrote:
Hey guys, I don't know why, but I suddenly got an interest in the whole Nidrosian scene. I'm listening to Celestial Bloodshed's Omega right now and I really seem to enjoy it. Quite harsh, but some very nice atmosphere as well. What's the quintessential stuff in that "scene"?

Don't be afraid to mention the (to you) obvious, my black metal knowledge isn't as good as it should be. I usually listen to some Immortal or Darkthrone :)

Vemod

http://vemod.bandcamp.com/

Best black metal album of this year, so far.

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

iloveblackmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:45 pm 

Anybody know of any good band that sounds like Vinterriket?

Implar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:13 pm 

FleshMonolith wrote:
Implar wrote:

Vemod

http://vemod.bandcamp.com/

Best black metal album of this year, so far.

Whoa, just listened to the title track, that's some good stuff! Quite different from Celestial Bloodshed as it's a bit less aggressive and has way more atmosphere, but I dig it!

FaultyClockwork
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:03 pm 

iloveblackmetal wrote:

If you want fuzzed out wintry black metal, Paysage d'Hiver might do it for you. I'm personally a fan of Winterkälte. Less raw but also maybe check out Lunar Aurora's Elixir of Sorrow.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:22 pm 

Anything like Diamatregon's "Crossroad?" And please, don't mention anything else having to do with the blues (Glorior Belli, pensees Nocturnes,etc).

Really no clue how to categorize this sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSMnsO2SidI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGfuFUuPAV4

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:04 am 

So guys, I've got time to night to listen to a couple albums and I want to go through Inquistion's library, I'm hooked :bow: I just listened to "Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm" last night. In your opinion what is the best album to start with next?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:50 am 

Nefarious Dismal Orations. It's the one I listened to after ODotPMM and it's got the same warm, fuzzy riffing. I mean all Inquisition is like that, but that album's the most similar.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:21 am 

For the Nidrosian bands I recommend

Mare http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSUzgrjTuF4
One Tail, One Head https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh_yLR-HAeQ
Kaosritual https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjIQ2oeF_QU
Dark Sonority https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiz4yzPHmmg

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:55 am 

I think Celestial Bloodshed is better than those bands. Sarath is also pretty good.

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:33 am 

Funny, because personally I hold Mare as the epitome of modern black metal. I enjoy Celestial Bloodshed's Omega quite a lot but I find Cursed, Scarred and Forever Possessed a bit monotonous and not entirely up my alley.

Malthus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:19 am 

Z0MBIE wrote:
I'm looking for really aggressive black metal with lots of blastbeats, any recs?

In Battle, esp their first album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFU4Fl68ho4

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:54 am 

Hymnofwolves wrote:
Funny, because personally I hold Mare as the epitome of modern black metal. I enjoy Celestial Bloodshed's Omega quite a lot but I find Cursed, Scarred and Forever Possessed a bit monotonous and not entirely up my alley.

I haven't listened to anything except Spheres Like Death by Mare, so perhaps the earlier albums are better. Are they? Not that I don't enjoy Spheres Like Death, but it has only about 10 minutes of great material really.

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:35 am 

It's true that they have not released a lot of material. At this moment their most well known releases are Spheres like Death and Throne of the Thirteenth Witch. Both of them have little material. I would not rate Throne of the Thirteenth Witch higher than Spheres Like Death.
I cannot find anything that I find less than great. So they don't have a lot to offer quantity wise but it's quality that matters after all. Furthermore, they are really good live. They have played several songs live from their upcoming full length and those songs too were not any less in quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDW4V-a23U8
https://soundcloud.com/terratvr-possessions/mare-sort-messe-live
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHv5G_j9lyQ&feature=youtu.be&t=29m42s

So it's not a revolutionary band. For me, it's just a band that does everything wright.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:35 pm 

Glad to hear that they're coming up with a full-length, finally. If it's released this year, it's going to be the third black metal debut in 2013 that I've really looked forward to, along with Arsonist Lodge and Phlegein.

NJMike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:07 pm 

iloveblackmetal wrote:

Try Battle Dagorath, wintery atmospheric black metal. They even have Vinterriket as the keyboardist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCRBLfY8nwc

FaultyClockwork wrote:
iloveblackmetal wrote:

If you want fuzzed out wintry black metal, Paysage d'Hiver might do it for you. I'm personally a fan of Winterkälte. Less raw but also maybe check out Lunar Aurora's Elixir of Sorrow.

Also this ^

http://www.last.fm/user/TheresTheMike

Hymnofwolves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:35 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
Glad to hear that they're coming up with a full-length, finally. If it's released this year, it's going to be the third black metal debut in 2013 that I've really looked forward to, along with Arsonist Lodge and Phlegein.

I haven't heard of those bands before. Do you recommend any of their material in particular?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:09 am 

For Arsonist Lodge, the new full-length is a safe choice, but I preferred Perkele, Antikristus Ja Väärä Profeetta EP due to the track Gegen Kristus!, which is quite brilliant and better than anything on the full-length. I haven't heard anything besides those releases.

For Phlegein, my favourite album is the Ancient Battlegrounds EP, but the full-length is very solid, and the last couple of tracks are especially great. The full-length has warm, thick production, so if you're into grim and trebly sounds, I recommend the EP. The self-titled EP is good aswell.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:24 am 

Some interesting stuff on this page that I haven't listened to that much, going to have to check some of these out. I already like Phlegein, Vemod sounds promising, I listened to a bit of Mare and Celestial Bloodshed, need to hear more to decide. I already know about some of the bands like One Tail One Head, but never got into them. I will try to go through all of these today while at work :crash:

That Guy 666
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:47 am 

Looking for more slow quiet black metal that sets an atmosphere like Krohm's A World Through Dead Eyes, Coldworld Melancholie.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:50 am 

That Guy 666 wrote:
Looking for more slow quiet black metal that sets an atmosphere like Krohm's A World Through Dead Eyes, Coldworld Melancholie, and Paysage D'Hiver (not as minimalistic as Paysage d'Hiver though).

Those actively following this thread might already get tired of my reiterating Cosmic Church's name, but it definitely fits your request. It takes the wistful but potent riffing of Finnish black metal into a mostly calm and relaxing black metal setting, without being quite as neutered as Coldworld.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:58 am 

HellishHound wrote:
So guys, I've got time to night to listen to a couple albums and I want to go through Inquistion's library, I'm hooked :bow: I just listened to "Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm" last night. In your opinion what is the best album to start with next?

You can't go wrong with any Inquisition album. Ominous Doctrines is definitely the best, but I would way Nefarious Dismal Orations, Magnificent Glorification and Invoking the Majestic Throne are all pretty equal. Their first album is awesome, but you can definitely tell it's their first album, a little more thrashy.

Ilwhyan wrote:
Those actively following this thread might already get tired of my reiterating Cosmic Church's name, but it definitely fits your request. It takes the wistful but potent riffing of Finnish black metal into a mostly calm and relaxing black metal setting, without being quite as neutered as Coldworld.

I keep forgetting to check out more stuff by this band, their 20 minute song on the Blood Red Fog split fucking rules.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:04 am 

I, on the other hand, need to check out that split. ;)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 231  Next