Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:03 am 

Try Nazgûl's "De Expugnatione Elfmuth". Trust me. ;)

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:25 am 

Belastbar wrote:
So problably one could say I am looking for black metal with really good songwriting.

Okay then, I'll have a crack at your request...

The Ruins of Beverast (yeah I know...). Often-times long songs that will require your attention all the way to the end for the maximum impact, but when you're deep within the actual tracks themselves, it delivers a fuck ton of gratification, with a multitude of brilliant shining moments of raw power, grace and crushing atmosphere.

Aosoth. Brilliant, twisted, dissonant, yet still with the strong writing chops to make the songs cohesive - and with some balls out rocking moments too I might add, yet it's above all, blistering and interesting black metal from France. Amazing band.

Order of Orias. From Australia, and their Inverse album. Great, great band here, utilizing atmosphere, subtle dissonant harmony, cool chord work and build up to something special. I mean seriously, listen to the intensity and release in this beastie (solo point, and closing section :drool: ).

Ascension. Great build ups into some spine chilling moments of powerful force and excellent musicianship. This track in particular is huge favourite of mine, and they know how to rock out when needed. A black metal hymn.

Consummation. This is a beautifully harsh behemoth with loads of cool, perverse things going on. Hellishly amazing.

Infestus. If it's great song writing you're after this (one man) band delivers in fucking spades. Phenomenal craftsmanship has gone into (t)his work. A Rather introspective take on black metal, fused with desperate aggression.

Myrkr. Dense, cohesive, aggressive and drenched in claustrophobic reverb. Black Illumination is an unsung masterwork lurking in the underground.

Ondskapt. This album is over a decade old now, but still has some excellent things going on in here. Great use of rawness and melody, and some frantic vocal work. Diamond hard and somewhat catchy with it's melodic senses.

Going to stop there, as I don't know what you already know, so I don't want to push bands on you that you have already probably heard, or that don't fit your request :wink:

My collection

TrueDynamite
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:30 am 

I have an odd request. I am looking for black metal bands that have acoustic tracks with clean vocals.

Here's an example:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=_Lvqs1MrIFs

Infernal Torment
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:20 pm 

Greetings

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend me something that sounds melancholic and I don't really mean DSBM. Something sort of like this track

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:06 am 

Infernal Torment wrote:
Greetings

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend me something that sounds melancholic and I don't really mean DSBM. Something sort of like this track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yxnpXdYPXw

How familiar are you with the rest of the Quebec scene? A lot of bands in that scene have that sort of melodic anguish in their music.

Here's a Cantique Lepreux track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28FNBQMtSuw

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:18 pm 

TrueDynamite wrote:
I have an odd request. I am looking for black metal bands that have acoustic tracks with clean vocals.

Here's an example:

Shataan's Weigh of the Wolf closes with a beautiful acoustic song, "Night Comes Along."

Also, Harrow from Canada has some acoustic/neofolk passages with clean or chanting vocals. In fact, their latest EP The River is almost entirely neofolk.

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:38 am 

Hey guys got some 'interesting' raw black metal here.

Sandwich Full of Fuck
http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/San ... 3540419670
https://sandwichfulloffuck.bandcamp.com/

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:27 pm 

^Nice band name haha, I just posted something amazing in the Nothing but black metal November thread, a 1 man band called Eternal Alchemist.

Lowtide85
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:43 pm 

Hello everyone, I'd like to ask for recommendations similar to Blut Aus Nord's Memoria Vetusta I: Fathers of the Icy Age.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:10 am 

Hi all!
I've got a quite odd request: i'm looking for black metal with competent (or at least half-competent) shredding solos

The first examples that come to my mind are some Drudkh and Diabolicum songs like Furrow of Gods, Eternity, The Song of Suffering, War tide..

Thanks! :)

Last edited by ~Guest 334273 on Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:14 am 

Competent? The solo in Furrows of Gods is fucking mind-blowing! Just had to put that out there. :D

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:21 am 

Ahahah! I know, i know! :lol:
Competent is the only english word i know that is the opposite of "Slayer-like solo" :)

Ps: other examples that i found are the first Arcturus and later Antestor and Obtest

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:23 am 

Any Pagan/Black/Viking band that has the sound/feel of this Insomnium song (specially the intro) thanks!

Edit: I don't want to double post, so I'll another request on my original:

Any album like Summoning's Minas Morgul? Yes, I've heard their entire discography, and I like it a lot, but this album has a balance of Black Metal, ambiance and atmosphere the others don't have, or either they're too raw and primitive (Lugburz) or lack the punching power Minas Morgul has. So yeah, that's it pretty much.

Von Cichlid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:00 am 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Hi all!
I've got a quite odd request: i'm looking for black metal with competent (or at least half-competent) shredding solos

The first examples that come to my mind are some Drudkh and Diabolicum songs like Furrow of Gods, Eternity, The Song of Suffering, War tide..

Thanks! :)

Just posted this one in the other forum...

Try Amon Goeth's The Worship.

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:18 pm 

You know those rare, good, bedrooms bm projects that appeared around 2005, or those pseudo-2nd wave(usually swedish) bands from late 90's? Looking for more of it, specially the "'trve kvlt" bands that doesn't sound too much pretentious.

MutantClannfear
Blank Czech

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:23 pm 

omnishadow wrote:
You know those rare, good, bedrooms bm projects that appeared around 2005, or those pseudo-2nd wave(usually swedish) bands from late 90's? Looking for more of it, specially the "'trve kvlt" bands that doesn't sound too much pretentious.

Give Oubliette a spin. They only ever made two demos but it's absolutely beautiful stuff:

omnishadow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:44 pm 

That was fast, thanks! Will play them later tonight.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:31 pm 

Mid 00s-bedroom black metal with a very grating drum machine if you're sensitive to such a thing, but a very dense atmosphere if you can get into it.

Gotta love the subtle changes in the riffs that appear to be the same played over and over again but actually morph into different variations of itself. It's sort of a simpler Abyssic Hate but with blast beats.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:36 am 

omnishadow wrote:

some good swedish bands that were a bit late to the party were armagedda (1st and 3rd full-lengths are fantastic), necroplasma, craft, blodsrit, maybe ondskapt and of course ofermod (even though only mysterion tes anomias is truly outstanding)
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:19 pm 

omnishadow wrote:
or those pseudo-2nd wave(usually swedish) bands from late 90's? Looking for more of it, specially the "'trve kvlt" bands that doesn't sound too much pretentious.

early to mid 2000s, but Graven, Negator, Mordgrim (the only Swedes on this list), and Octagon are all pretty faithful 2nd wave re-enactors:

https://youtu.be/XZZ-vuKaVFg

https://negator.bandcamp.com/album/old-black

https://youtu.be/vbpKdHsYDy4

https://youtu.be/4c9sYzl7yyw
(this one may have some NSFW images in the video, unless you work in a BDSM club)

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:36 pm 

into_the_pit wrote:
omnishadow wrote:

some good swedish bands that were a bit late to the party were armagedda (1st and 3rd full-lengths are fantastic), necroplasma, craft, blodsrit, maybe ondskapt and of course ofermod (even though only mysterion tes anomias is truly outstanding)

Blodsrit's first 4 full lengths are fucking awesome!

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:59 pm 

omnishadow wrote:
those pseudo-2nd wave(usually swedish) bands from late 90's? Looking for more of it, specially the "'trve kvlt" bands that doesn't sound too much pretentious.

also, not sure if it's what you're looking for, but what about clandestine blaze?
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

YevX
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:09 am 

I want recommendations on a band that is musically similar to abigor in the sense of it being black metal of course, good production quality, medieval kind atmosphere, seemingly out of nowhere riffs, etc. thanks in advance, if you dont know of a band that is similar to abigor in the characteristics i discussed earlier, feel free to recommend a band that just generally sounds like abigor in your opinion, thanks in advance. I know of Lunar Aurora.

foreverslainzine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:52 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
CircleovZaphyan wrote:
Im also looking for a CD version of Welowie if anybody knows a distro.

OldLegend Productions' webshop carries it: http://www.shop.oldlegend.eu/

Be careful with Old Legend, I got ripped off by them on an order. It was a while back and Poland still didn't have access to PayPal so things may be better known. Don't send him money hidden in an envelope either, it's pay pal or nothing. Ironically he ripped me off for a Gontyna Kry CD Krew naszych ojców. A general rule of thumb, be very wary of NS oriented distros cause they tend to not practice honor like they preach. And never send money transfer to Poland, you haven't a leg to stand on.

Last edited by foreverslainzine on Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
foreverslainzine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:59 pm 

YevX wrote:
I want recommendations on a band that is musically similar to abigor in the sense of it being black metal of course, good production quality, medieval kind atmosphere, seemingly out of nowhere riffs, etc. thanks in advance, if you dont know of a band that is similar to abigor in the characteristics i discussed earlier, feel free to recommend a band that just generally sounds like abigor in your opinion, thanks in advance. I know of Lunar Aurora.

I'm mostly familiar with early Abigor. The first Enthoned album "Prophecies of Pagan Fire"? Also, perhaps Antaeus from France.

foreverslainzine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:01 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Try Nazgûl's "De Expugnatione Elfmuth". Trust me. ;)

Seconded.

foreverslainzine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:05 am 

TrueDynamite wrote:

Here's an example:

That is a tough one but second Ulver album "Kveldssanger".

Haddock666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:55 am 

Urn, great finnish black/thrash/heavy metal.

http://www.mikseri.net/artists/urn.36115.php

Pedophile SS. Improvised noisecore
http://pedophiless.bandcamp.com/

Catholic Bastards. Hardcore/crust punk
http://catholicbastards.bandcamp.com/

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:33 am 

Please recommend me something in the vein of Krieg's 'The Black House', 'The Isolationist'

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:23 pm 

Can't stop listening to the Fullmoon Demo. Love the strange almost dreamy kind of chord progressions. Would be nicer if the equipment they had for guitars was a little better, but still great sounding nonetheless. Anyone got anything similar to Fullmoon or basically just kinda dreamy black metal (that isn't too drony).

Eli_the_Destroyer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:03 am 

TheCryptologist wrote:
Looking for really raw black metal with strong influences from punk and 80s speed/thrash. Bands similar to Spear of Longinus, Shitfucker, early Bathory, and Darkthrone's later material. I understand its annoyingly specific, but if anyoen can recommend some raw black/thrash bands or even some raw black/punk bands it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Check out Ives, from the US. Florida to be specific, if i remember.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:52 pm 

Can any of you fellow metalheads make a list of their top 10 black metal songs? I would've made it a thread but posting here is more simple. The only reason I ask of your favorite songs is so I can discover new BM.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:52 pm 

^ Let us know what bands you're already into, that would make everything much easier for us and yourself.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:42 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
^ Let us know what bands you're already into, that would make everything much easier for us and yourself.

I guess I could start my own top 10. That way you'll know what I want and other metalheads can discover BM songs.

My Top Ten Black Metal List:
1. Forest - Obscurity
2. Drudkh - Skies At Our Feet
3. S.V.E.S.T. - Intro & the Black Art
4. Arckanum - Þursvitnir
5. Der Triumphmarsch from Forging An Iron Will (Forging An Iron Will is the name of the album and I didn't want to offend anybody but this song is really badass)
6. Graveland - The Dark Battlefield
7. Mgla - Exercises In Futility VI
8. Gorgoroth - Funeral Procession
9. Hate Forest - Chamber of Winds
10. Taake - Fra vadested til vaandesmed

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:07 am 

There's too much stuff in the entire black metal genre that I've listened to that I can't think of all the stuff I like and sort out which I like more than others. Too broad.

Sabbat's The Dwelling is still sitting pretty as my favorite album of all time, so we'll just say the sole track of that album is my number one song in the genre.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:12 am 

My black metal songs top 10:

Horna - Liekki ja voima

:D

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:16 pm 

I guess most of my top 10 BM songs are easily some scandinavian 2nd wave classics that should be well-known anyway, so I'll try to post 10 excellent songs that might be under your radar, some older, some more recent-ish:

aaskereia - die leichenhexe
warloghe - dark spires swirl in the abyss
dead shell of universe - sanjar
werwolf (AUT) - war is king and father of all
kriegsmaschine - ma'aseh besherit
sort vokter - langs stier uten ende
grausamkeit - krätze
cold (CHI) - the pagan sorcerer
vordr - rhythm of the storms
demoniac - the birth of diabolic blood

and possibly the best BM song ever is

vlad tepes - drink the poetry of the celtic disciples
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:39 pm 

into_the_pit I can't wait to download those songs you've listed. I ran out data usage for this month unfortunately.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:20 pm 

Hey, great taste with those songs. OK, now all the songs here listed come from fantastic albums aswell, so don't hesitate to check them out:

Kampfar - Blitzwitch (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aogm92diajc)
Trollech - Stromy jsou v nás (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3bzJ_O3keg)
Forefather - Steadfast (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uytm9-C-Nl8)
Ancient Rites - Fatherland (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hMx4ll8UYM)

I hope you enjoy them! (I have plenty more but you probably are already familiar with them)

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:24 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
My black metal songs top 10:

Horna - Liekki ja voima

:D

Grim fucking melody my Finnish friend. This song is the complete epitome of what I was searching for.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177, 178 ... 231  Next