Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:14 pm 

Well. maybe quite an odd or strange request I got here: ;)
Is there some form of jungle-tribal based form of folk/black metal?
What i mean is basically that most pagan or folk or viking themed and instrumented bands incooperate tunes and instruments from their country to create some form of "ancient" feel.
But nearly all of these bands hail from either a more or less nordic or slavonic country, so my question now is:

Are there bands praising the roots of primal jungle or desert tribes using harsh blackish "pagan" (in this form it's only a term for the style of music) metal but instead of using maybe a mouthharp, accoustik folk guitars, bagpipes, using lots of "jungle"-reminiscent percussions, tribal (evil or dark) chantings etc.?

Some of you may directly think: This guy should listen to Sepultura's "Roots", the Soulfly stuff etc.
Ok, the used tribal influences come quite close to what I'm looking for, but I want the metal parts in a darker, more BM-stlye and NOT in the "Thrash goes NuMetal" way..

I want to find music creating pictures of evil jungle gods, gritty and vast deserts, savannahs, swamps etc. whatever -
basically "non-nordic" pagan BM, so to say...

Here is a pic describing the mood I'm looking for quite good:

I don't have any real musical exapmles I can give, but I think there must be some bands maybe from the south-american region or from africa praising their cultural heritage in the described matter...

the best would be to hera sth like Moonsorrow's "Karhunkynsi" or music like Månegarm's "Vargstenen" album with the nordic or viking folky parts changed with, well, the whole tribal/jungledrum/chanting stuff of a "warmer climate" ;) (pretty vague, yes...)

any ideas???

Last edited by grauer_mausling on Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Authority
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:20 pm 

Guahaihoque sounds like what you're looking for. They aren't really black metal, but they have a lot of South American influenced atmosphere. The instrumentals on their album are especially nice.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:24 pm 

:) hey, thanks - will check them out in a few minutes but the cover has def. the atmosphere I'm looking for!

Summerwind_Heathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:44 pm 

Damn, came here to rec Guahaihoque. I'll just second their mention. Really fantastic band; I imagine they're very close to what you might be looking for.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:44 am 

It's not really a "folk" type of feel, but newer Cobalt (especially Gin) has a really tom-heavy, tribal sort of drumming style throughout much (most, maybe) of the music.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

UntilYouReform
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:38 pm 

Blood of the Black Owl

maxxpower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:48 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
It's not really a "folk" type of feel, but newer Cobalt (especially Gin) has a really tom-heavy, tribal sort of drumming style throughout much (most, maybe) of the music.

+1
I would also give their second album Eater of Birds a listen.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:05 pm 

You may like Xibalba's "Ah Dzam Poop Ek" album, the older one of the two reviews it has describes it pretty similarly to what your request described.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:39 am 

I'm not quite sure what you're after. Do you mean stuff like Varathron or Necromantia, warm Greek black metal kind of stuff?

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:38 am 

thanks so far guys. I've listened to the mentioned bands on youtube;

Guahaihoque - quite good maybe a bit too calm/"sweet" but I will listen to more of them
Cobalt - great stuff. indeed not so folky but the drums on various tracks - as you already pointed out - have a great tribal pounding feel!
Xibalba - listened to a few songs on youtube but apart from the beginning of a track named "Furor Antiquus" it was merely normal, raw BM. But maybe I haven't just listened to the right or generally enough tracks...

Expedience wrote:
I'm not quite sure what you're after. Do you mean stuff like Varathron or Necromantia, warm Greek black metal kind of stuff?

Hmm, it's not easy to describe what I'm after as I haven't really concrete examples. The "warm" sound of Varathron, Necromantia and old Rotting Christ is def. one aspect but additionally I want the described "tribal" feel.
Really, the best way I can describe it is:
"Roots" and "Ratamahatta" meet "Verisäkeet" & "Vargstenen" (Moonsorrow & Manegarm) ;) , replacing the "nordic" influneces with either "south american" or "african" ones.
Sorry for being so vague...

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:28 pm 

I've been after stuff like this as well, so I'd be interested to hear any more recommendations. I find it hard to believe that hardly anyone has incorporated the hypnotic ritualistic elements of real African music (both North and sub-Saharan) with Metal.

Snarf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:43 pm 

balbulus wrote:
I've been after stuff like this as well, so I'd be interested to hear any more recommendations. I find it hard to believe that hardly anyone has incorporated the hypnotic ritualistic elements of real African music (both North and sub-Saharan) with Metal.

Lamentu adds tribal type percussion to achieve a ritualistic black metal sound. I have their album Liack, but I don't listen to it enough to vouch for it.

Rudra also incorporate some traditional Indian percussion into their music, especially in the later albums. To me, their songs are hovering on genius but often fail to grow to their full potential.

Senmuth also uses a lot of middle-eastern sounding percussion on their many albums. Try downloading the Akhet album (really four albums released together). All his stuff is released for free, and there is way too much of it to explore.

I'm also really interested in this sort of thing, but unfortunately I haven't found too much; and the things I just recommended are hardly what the OP wanted.

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:20 pm 

Perhaps Rudra would be worth checking out. They combine Indian music (with somewhat tribal sounding percussion and chants) with blackened death metal. My favorite album is Brahmavidya: Transcendental I.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 1:24 pm 

oh cool, at least by what it's written on their page here, this Lamentu def. sounds interesting and I will soon check them out on myspace.
Also I will give Rudra a try. In fact I already read sth about them but forgot about it ;)
Senmuth is also a good hint (I have six albums of him and slowly make my way to parts of his discography (thanks to a myspace blogentry where the various albums are shortly described)), but not exactly what I'm looking for...
I (still ;) ) know that my request is vague but thanks to all those recommending sth!

AtDusk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 5:21 pm 

i know it's not black metal, but try checking out barn owl and/or their side project, elm/jon porras. it's dark, occasionally really heavy drone/doom steeped in aztec mythology with tribal atmospheres.

Barn Owl

Catachthonian
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:57 am 

Snarf wrote:
Try downloading the Akhet album (really four albums released together).

Ugh. No. It's one integral album divided into four parts.

Xibalba is incredible. As for not hearing the 'tribal'/'folky' thing, it's in the riffs.

Reply to topic