Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
HybridThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:47 pm 

Hey there. I'm looking for metal bands with clean, deep bass type voices, kinda like Moonspell's Fernando Ribeiro, just that done right and without faking it. A good example would be that singer in Therion's "Arrow From The Sun", listen to the song and you'll know what I'm talking about. If possible, I want vocalists with at least some vocal education. Thanks in advance.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:54 pm 

Root is the most obvious I can think of.

EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:23 pm 

I only know one song by Yearning from Finland from a compilation (the song's called "In the Hands of Storm" from the "With Tragedies Adorned" album) and I don't know if the singer has any training experience, but on that song at least he sounds like a Fernando Ribeiro with more control over his voice, more precise in hitting his notes and keeping a steady volume and frequency. Maybe it's on YouTube, dunno.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:35 pm 

Type O negative got bassy enough vocals?
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Last edited by Visionary on Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EntilZha
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:37 pm 

Type O Negative is the first thing I thought of when reading the thread title. Then I bothered reading the OP...

Versipellis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:35 pm 

I immediately thought of Type O Negative, but they broke up a few days ago after their singer Peter Steele died. He had a very bassy clean voice. I think you should check them out.

HybridThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:43 pm 

rexxz wrote:

Can't find songs from their non-black metal era. Recommend me some?

And yeah, TON is just damn awesome. A shame Peter died, he was a great vocalist indeed, but I'm looking for a more...operatic style. Still, Peter Steele-sound-alike vocalists are greatly appreaciated.

Animicantus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:45 pm 

Try anything with ICS Vortex, specifically Lamented Souls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saEZybdZ5qg

defyexistance wrote:
It also sounds like he says "The raven licks my asshole" as the first vocal line there. It never fails to crack me up.

FuneralDeity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:13 pm 

Edge of Sanity, perhaps?

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:21 am 

Paradise Lost.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:02 pm 

My Dying Bride, Autumn, Type O.

I love Autumn. Great instrumentation and Yuri's deep Russian voice is enough to give me goosebumps.

Last edited by TheRealThing on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DethCubeK
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:17 pm 

Try Heidevolk, a Dutch Pagan/Viking metal band with clean and bassy vocals. They've got two singers singing at the same time which provides a very nice effect.

Alchameth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:58 am 

Maybe you'll enjoy Crom. The singer's voice isn't particularly too bassy, but he's nonetheless a very fine baritone with a good timbre and range, so you might want to check it out.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:20 am 

HybridThing wrote:
rexxz wrote:

Maybe Theriak or Festival of Destruction. Some of Root's songs don't have very clear or deep vocals, but he can do them - he's a very versatile vocalist.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:40 am 

Expedience wrote:
HybridThing wrote:
rexxz wrote:

Maybe Theriak or Festival of Destruction. Some of Root's songs don't have very clear or deep vocals, but he can do them - he's a very versatile vocalist.

Kargeras has entirely clean vocals, though he uses his higher, tenor range during some of it. If you just want a sample, the video to "Heart of Darkness" is on Youtube.

7IHd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:10 am 

Alchameth wrote:
Maybe you'll enjoy Crom. The singer's voice isn't particularly too bassy, but he's nonetheless a very fine baritone with a good timbre and range, so you might want to check it out.

Yeah, I would have suggested this as well. His CD Vengeance is quite a fine vocal exhibition and at times strays a bit deeper than baritone to bass. Certainly worth a look, imo, even if it's not quite what you're looking for, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

"A vulture feeds upon that heart forever; that vulture the very creature he creates."

childrenofthenight
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:15 pm 

Nightingale

Spacebar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:47 pm 

I'd have to recommend Stormlord. They definitely have some bassy, clean vocals mixed in, though they are fairly sparse at times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur-Y3hxuIyY , try listening all the way through, but a good example is at the 1:51 mark.

~Guest 224506
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:31 am 

A bit power metall-y, but the singers for Sabaton and Iced Earth (Barlow era) have fairly deep voices. And I seem to remember than Barlow had vocal education or something.

Alchameth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:05 am 

Butkuiss wrote:
A bit power metall-y, but the singers for Sabaton and Iced Earth (Barlow era) have fairly deep voices. And I seem to remember than Barlow had vocal education or something.

Seconded. Also, if you happen to enjoy Barlow's singing, I would recommend Dark at Dawn as well. Their vocalist sings in a deep, Barlow-ish gruff and it sounds really nice. Their second album (“Of Decay and Desire”) is an absolute winner.

HybridThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:48 pm 

DethCubeK wrote:
Try Heidevolk, a Dutch Pagan/Viking metal band with clean and bassy vocals. They've got two singers singing at the same time which provides a very nice effect.

Great band! Loved it, the vocals are great. Thanks.

failsafeman wrote:
Kargeras has entirely clean vocals, though he uses his higher, tenor range during some of it. If you just want a sample, the video to "Heart of Darkness" is on Youtube.

Great song! At first I thought it was too dark, but after a few listens I just loved it. Thanks a lot, I'll be checking more of their later material beginning with Kargeras and the Book.

Butkuiss wrote:

Yeah, I absolutely love Barlow's voice. However, other than the Dark Saga album and one or two songs from Something Wicked This Way Comes, and Sabaton's "Ghost Division" song, I know no other songs by 'em. Recommend me some? :D I'll check Dark at Dawn as soon as I can.

Spacebar wrote:
I'd have to recommend Stormlord. They definitely have some bassy, clean vocals mixed in, though they are fairly sparse at times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur-Y3hxuIyY , try listening all the way through, but a good example is at the 1:51 mark.

To be honest, I had only listened to "I Am Legend", "The Curse of Medusa", and "The Age of the Dragon" before, and that's because my english teacher totally loves 'em. That song was incredible, although I wish the clean vocals were more common. Is there another song with more clean vocals? Nevertheless, I'll be checking their newest album.

Hmm, I still have to check Autumn...

Thanks a lot guys. Keep on recommending :D

Rottenrectum
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:50 pm 

childrenofthenight wrote:
Nightingale

Seconded. Swanö's an incredible singer.

darkdead wrote:
I have still quarrelling the musician.

HybridThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:20 pm 

TheRealThing wrote:
My Dying Bride, Autumn, Type O.

I love Autumn. Great instrumentation and Yuri's deep Russian voice is enough to give me goosebumps.

Nice band. The guy's got an awesome voice, but he's got the same weird Fernando Ribeiro-moments where he can't keep/hit some notes. Still, really liked it.

And Crom, for fuck's sake, I wasn't expecting it to be THAT good! Such a great vocalist! So far it's one of the best power metal bands I've ever heard (and it's one of my favorite metal subgenres). Such a shame he has only released one full length so far...

Reply to topic