Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:25 pm 

Hello everyone! I'm looking for any bands that sound similar to bands such as Toxik, Heathen, Realm, Forbidden, Paradox, Artillery, Watchtower, etc.

I'm not exactly sure what the proper term for the genre is that I'm looking for here. I've heard of it being referred to as Power, Technical Speed, Technical Thrash, and just plain Thrash Metal. (If anyone could give me a proper definition, I'd really appreciate it!).

Basically though, I'm looking for anything that is really technical, high energy, fast metal! I love the vocals in Toxik, Heathen, and Realm (Higher pitched vocals). The vocals are probably the most important thing for me! Not that it really matters to me, but the lyrics are generally about society, politics, & religion. It appears to be a running theme through all my favorite bands. The guitars all seem to have a similar sound, and the guitarists are all extremely talented when it comes to their solos and overall rhythms. The song structures are relatively complex, more often then not.

Here are some examples of what I'm looking for:
World Circus - From Toxik's World Circus
Black and White - From Toxik's Think This
Endless War - From Realm's Endless War
Slay The Oppressor - From Realm's Endless War
Chalice of Blood - From Forbidden's Forbidden Evil
Through Eyes of Glass - From Forbidden's Forbidden Evil
Search for Perfection - From Paradox's Heresy
Pray for Death - From Heathen's Breaking The Silence
Timeless Cell Of Prophecy - From Heathen's Victims of Deception

And here's a list of bands I've already had recommended to me, so no need for recommending them again!:

+ Airdash, Abuser*, Aftermath, Agent Steel, Agony, Anacrusis, Annihilator*, Arcane, Assalant*, and Atrophy*
+ Believer, Blessed Death, and Blind Illusion
+ Calhoun Conquer, Conception*, and Coroner
+ Deathrow, Destruction, Destructor, and Destiny's End*
+ Fatal Violence, Forced Entry, Flaming Anger, and Flotsam and Jetsam*
+ Glacier*, and Grinder
+ Hades*, Helstar, and Hexenhaus*
+ Immaculate*, Intruder, and Invocator
+ Kinetic Dissent
+ Laaz Rockit*, and Liege Lord
+ Megace, Mekong Delta, Mortal Sin*, and Mysto Disto/Mandator
+ Omnitron
+ Powermad*
+ Rage, Riff Raff, Riot, and Rosicrucian*
+ Sabbat, Sacrifice, Sarcasm, Scanner, Sieges Even, Skeptic Sense, Skitzo, Slauter Xstroyes*, and Stone
+ Taramis*, Target*, Terrahsphere, and Tyrant
+ Ulysses Siren
+ Vektor, Vendetta, and Voivod
+ Wolf Spider*, and Wrath
+ Xentrix*

* I've heard and like a few of these bands songs, so similar band recommendation's are welcome!

Hopefully that's enough info, but I'll happily provide more if needed! Thanks in advance! Rock on!

Last edited by lawrencek on Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 9 times in total.
in_human_form
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:19 am 

Check out Invocator's Excursion Demise.

lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:46 am 

Thanks for the quick reply in_human_form! Invocator isn't really what I'm looking for though. The vocals are to harsh compared to what I'm looking for, which is clean, higher pitched vocals! Thanks for the rec though! :metal:

lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:35 pm 

Sorry for the bump (Mod's, do what you must), I just posted this quite late last night, and I don't think this thread will get the best possible amount of views that it could around a more peak hour session!

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:54 pm 

Wow folks, THIS is how you do a recommendation thread. Good effort, OP.

Anyway this may be obvious, but I didn't notice Mekong Delta on your list. Their first two albums (before they got all progressive) are definitely up your alley. Technical, vocals that can get pretty high pitched, very fast & energetic. Also in that same vein are Target, their second album especially.

autothrall
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:04 pm 

Try:

Deathrow 'Deception Ignored'
Artillery 'By Inheritance'

If you've not heard those...in my opinion two of the most complex and riff heavy albums ever written in all metal music, and underrated. The vocals are high in both cases, but perhaps not exactly what you want (Artillery had more of an U.D.O. style, Deathrow a more lazy but clinical German tone).

Also, to further Mekong Delta/Paradox, you may wish to check out the album 'Perfect Man' by Germans Rage. Not as technical, but high pitched vocals, very creative, lots of energy, fast riffing, unforgettable. Actually their first 4 albums are all excellent, but again, might not be 'technical' sounding, though they are fairly complex and well played. Also Scanner's first two albums 'Hypertrace' and 'Terminal Earth'.

As for a new band, I reviewed the debut from Italy's Abuser. Check that out, they are influenced by a lot of bands you like.

I know I've got a lot more underground stuff not as good as the above, but I'll try to post them later.

Good post,
-auto

in_human_form
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:00 pm 

Also, it may not be as technical as you'd like but Anacrusis' debut Suffering Hour may be what you're looking for. If I recall, it's thrash with a progressive edge and higher pitched vocals (at least at some points). I think Vektor is in the same vein but with screechier vocals. They're not the soaring high-pitched vocals you'd like, though.

intothesarlaccpit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:13 pm 

You might like Helstar. Their best IMO is Nosferatu.

lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:15 pm 

@failsafeman
Well thank you very much failsafeman! I just figure it's the best way to get my point across, and help define my search, to get better recommendations! Any who, I forget to mention that I've already heard a few of Mekong Delta's songs! Is their any particular song you could suggest? I'll take a listen to those two albums though! I've also heard a few songs by Target. "Mission to the Andes" is pretty wicked! Thanks for the recommendations though! :metal:

@autothrall
I've never heard of Deathrow "Deception Ignored", but I'll try and find one of their songs on YouTube, and let you know what I think! Thanks for the Artillery rec, but I already have the wonderful album! Thanks again though!

Never heard of "Perfect Man" by Rage, but I have heard of "Straight to Hell", and while that's not what I'm looking for, I was impressed with the song, so I'll definitely check out "Perfect Man."

I believe I've heard some songs by Scanner, but I'll take another listen! And I've never heard of Abuser, so I'll check them out! Thanks again for all the recommendations!

@in_human_form
I've always had trouble finding anything that I liked from Anacrusis. The vocals were always the deciding factor. Could you recommend any songs with vocals possibly closer to what I'm looking for? Also, I believe I'm heard of Vektor before, but nothing looked familiar on their profile, so I'll give them a listen!

@intothesarlaccpit
Thanks for the rec intothesarlaccpit, but I've already heard some stuff from that album! I'll give it another listen though! Thanks again!

lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:09 pm 

@autothrall
So contrary to what I previously mentioned, I have already listened to Deathrow's "Deception Ignored", and I quite enjoyed it! Thanks for the recommendation! As for Abuser, another great rec! They sound like an even eviler version of Realm, which is an awesome thing! The vocals are just harsh enough that there still in the realm of what I'm looking for! As for Rage's "Perfect Man", it wasn't really what I'm looking for in the vocals department, but thanks for the rec anyways!

in_human_form
So I gave a listen to a few of Vektor's songs, but their not really what I'm looking for. As you mentioned, the vocals are to harsh for what I'm looking for, although I have to admit, the musicians are quite talented! Thanks again though for the rec!

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:02 pm 

Check out Blind Illusion, man. You might dig them.

Also, try Agony (swe) or Liege Lord.

Almost forgot! Wolf Spider and Watchtower are a must! Watchtower are techy as all fuck and Wolf Spider are off the wall. You'll probably dig both bands. Specifically Wolf Spider's Kingdom of Paranoia record. Great stuff and one of my top 10 thrash records of all time.

lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:52 pm 

@VictimsOfDeception
First of, let me say, great recommendation with Wolf Spider! This is exactly what I'm looking for! Specifically, more stuff like this:

Drifting In The Sullen Sea - From Wolf Spider's "Drifting In The Sullen Sea"

The sound is just right! The vocals are pretty good (Not spot on for what I'm looking for, but really close), and it's just got a sweet fuckin' groove to it! :metal:

On to the other recommendation's though! Could you recommend any specific albums, or songs from Blind Illusion? I've heard of them, and I know I've listened to a few of their songs, but nothing that's been memorable enough for me apparently! Preferably something as close as you can get to the sound from Wolf Spider's "Drifting In The Sullen Sea" if that isn't to picky haha! :P

The vocals from Agony are a little harsher then what I'm looking for, but I'm getting vibes from Heathen and Paradox, which is never a bad thing! Thanks for the rec!

Liege Lord sounds like a heavier, faster version of Iron Maiden, which is pretty awesome! The sound isn't exactly what I'm looking for, but still a great recommendation!

Thanks for the Watchtower recommendation, but I've already heard both their albums (Which I love!), and I mentioned them in the first post! Thanks again though!

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:00 am 

lawrencek wrote:
@VictimsOfDeception
First of, let me say, great recommendation with Wolf Spider! This is exactly what I'm looking for! Specifically, more stuff like this:

Drifting In The Sullen Sea - From Wolf Spider's "Drifting In The Sullen Sea"

The sound is just right! The vocals are pretty good (Not spot on for what I'm looking for, but really close), and it's just got a sweet fuckin' groove to it! :metal:

On to the other recommendation's though! Could you recommend any specific albums, or songs from Blind Illusion? I've heard of them, and I know I've listened to a few of their songs, but nothing that's been memorable enough for me apparently! Preferably something as close as you can get to the sound from Wolf Spider's "Drifting In The Sullen Sea" if that isn't to picky haha! :P

The vocals from Agony are a little harsher then what I'm looking for, but I'm getting vibes from Heathen and Paradox, which is never a bad thing! Thanks for the rec!

Liege Lord sounds like a heavier, faster version of Iron Maiden, which is pretty awesome! The sound isn't exactly what I'm looking for, but still a great recommendation!

Thanks for the Watchtower recommendation, but I've already heard both their albums (Which I love!), and I mentioned them in the first post! Thanks again though!

I was totally sure you didn't mention Watchtower. Looks like I made a mistake!

Anyway, check out the rest of Wolf Spider's catalog if you can. As far as Blind Illusion goes: they only have one record, which is The Sane Asylum. Great stuff, if you can get used to it.

whensunburnsred
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:23 am 

Good post OP!

Although not as complex as Coroner, or fast as Toxik, taking into account that the vocal department is very important for you, I think you will like these albums:

Hades (US) - Resisting Success http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5mBTNWY-P8
Intruder - Live to Die (A higher form of killing seems to be the most popular, but I prefer their debut) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L45zDGruRNs
Vendetta (Ger) - Brain Damage http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4onw_Fa0-ZQ

On a more melodic approach, and not so high-pitched vocals:
Xentrix - Shattered Existence http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juUXmZUAJ6E

Hope you like them.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:47 am 

I was about to recommend Vendetta - Brain Damage but it was just mentioned. Maybe not quite technical enough but it is certainly worth checking out and one of my favorite albums. Basically what you are looking for is technical thrash metal but not the brutal side of things as Invocator isn't what you are looking for. I'm curious as to why you didn't like Ulysess Siren or Coroner as much as they are some of my favorites in this niche.

Annihilator - Alice in Hell (One of the most highly praised releases in this niche).
Intruder - Psycho Savant, A Higher Form of Killing (Quite technical and both albums are very good)
Aftermath - Eyes of Tomorrow (Along the lines of what you are looking for and a little less known)
Forced Entry - Uncertain Future (Definitely check this out. Vocals may be a tad deep but you did like Atrophy and they aren't too far off their sound)
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:43 pm 

Visionary wrote:
I was about to recommend Vendetta - Brain Damage but it was just mentioned. Maybe not quite technical enough but it is certainly worth checking out and one of my favorite albums. Basically what you are looking for is technical thrash metal but not the brutal side of things as Invocator isn't what you are looking for. I'm curious as to why you didn't like Ulysess Siren or Coroner as much as they are some of my favorites in this niche.

Annihilator - Alice in Hell (One of the most highly praised releases in this niche).
Intruder - Psycho Savant, A Higher Form of Killing (Quite technical and both albums are very good)
Aftermath - Eyes of Tomorrow (Along the lines of what you are looking for and a little less known)
Forced Entry - Uncertain Future (Definitely check this out. Vocals may be a tad deep but you did like Atrophy and they aren't too far off their sound)

I'm interested in Aftermath now. Looks like this thread is good for others as well.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:28 pm 

Aftermath is so criminally underrated. Just listen to this song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=80s6dN5 ... re=related

Wrath - Nothing to Fear (Another awesome band that is very underrated)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTE-7_9f25Q

Laaz Rockit - Know Your Enemy (Quite a well known bay area band so you may know them already)
http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=scAEObL ... re=related

Also you may like Holy Terror if you don't already know them. Both albums are really good.

:edit: that is the other Aftermath. I forgot there was two. :lol: Check out both anyway.
Here is the one I originally recommended
http://www.myspace.com/aftermathchicago

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:55 pm 

I remember checking out Wrath years ago. They fucking rule, and their vocalist is crazy.

lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:12 am 

@VictimsOfDeception
No worries about the Watchtower rec! Well, I can't seem to find any songs from their last album on YouTube, and while the foreign vocals on their previous albums turn me off a little, I'll give them another listen! As for Blind Illusion, there vocals are a little to low/gruff for me, but I love Les Claypool's bass on their songs! Also, the demo's with David White are awesome! :metal:

@whensunburnsred
Thanks for the Hade's rec, but I've already hear some of their stuff! Love "Process of Assimilation/Tears of Orpheus" from their next album "If at First You Don't Succeed...". I've already heard some Intruder, but it seems to be 50/50 when it came to liking any of their songs for me! I really like "Kiss of Death" from "Escape from Pain"! Thanks for the Vendetta rec, but the vocals have a bit of a harsh sound to them, which I'm not really looking for! Also, thanks for the Xentrix rec! Much like your other recommendations though, I've already heard some Xentrix! "For Whose Advantage?" is a personal favorite of mine! Thanks again for the rec!

@Visionary
Thanks for letting me know what I'm looking for! Technical Thrash sounds about right! Ulysess Siren has some harsh, European sounding (IMO) vocals which isn't what I'm really looking for at the moment! As for Coroner, I've heard nothing but good things about them, and I like their instrumental "Nosferatu", but again, it's the harsh vocals which I'm not really looking for! Thanks for the rec though!

Thanks for the Annihilator recommendation, but I already have Alice in Hell. As I'm Canadian, I consider it a fundamental part of any Canadian metal head's musical arsenal! Think of it as a right of passage lol! Also, as I mentioned earlier to whensunburnsred, I've already heard some Intruder, but it seems to be 50/50 when it came to liking any of their songs for me! I really like "Kiss of Death" from "Escape from Pain"! I'll keep looking into their music though!

I was able to find Aftermath's (Chicago) MySpace page, and gave some of their songs a listen! While things were looking promising with the guitars, it was the vocals again that weren't doing it for me! Sorry, I'm just extremely picky I guess! Thanks for the Forced Entry rec though! I gave them a listen a while ago, and was impressed with a few of their songs from "As Above, So Below"! I always found Wrath's vocals a tad extreme, but thanks for the rec anyways! As for Holy Terror and Laaz Rockit, someone recommended them to me quite a while ago! I was impressed with Laaz Rockit, but forget to mention it my first post!

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:58 am 

Megace's Human Errors may work. Like Realm/Toxik/Watchtower it is melodic, technical, and filled with a goodly amount of higher-pitched vocals, but their vocalist (a female) also tries some Sabina Classen-esque growling on occasion which may turn you off.

Taramis' Stretch of the Imagination is a bit less thrashy and more 80's progressive influenced (imagine a transition album between the first two Alder-era Fates Warning albums), but overall fits the style.

Otherwise the only bands you haven't mentioned that I can think of are less noteworthy. Terrahsphere, Skeptic Sense, Sieges Even's Life Cycle, and Osiris (Hol) are all quite Watchtower-influenced, but they aren't especially great, although hopefully you'll find something there.

EDIT: I have to give a shout to Immaculate for their Cross of Nero song, which has to be my favorite thrash metal song since the early 90's. It has everything I love about 80's tech thrash and shows no sign of copy-catting like so many modern thrash bands do. Their first album was poor though, so I hope they can release a consistently excellent sophomore.

EDIT #2: Forgot Hexenhaus' Awakening, probably since their first two albums have rough Schmier-worshipping vocals and their last is more power metal. Very clean vocals, Bay Area-esque riffs, and Mike Wead on leads = melodic thrashing win.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:28 am 

First, I would like to second failsafeman's motion about this thread. Very informal, neat-looking and also interesting as these kind of bands are some of my favourite music.

lawrencek wrote:
I'm not exactly sure what the proper term for the genre is that I'm looking for here. I've heard of it being referred to as Power, Technical Speed, Technical Thrash, and just plain Thrash Metal. (If anyone could give me a proper definition, I'd really appreciate it!).

Well some of the bands mentioned here fall into Power or Speed Metal box and others I like to refer as Techno-Thrash, a term coined by Watchtower in the 80s. I mean those really out-there-thrash bands who were also pioneering something that would later turn into progressive metal. Think Rush + Thrash chops. Then there's also some plain Thrash Metal bands in that list with slight technical tendencies like Sabbat.

And on to my own recommendation: VOIVOD. Killing Technology, Dimension Hatröss and Nothingface albums especially.

lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:54 am 

@HamburgerBoy
Thanks for the Megace rec, but I wasn't able to actually find any examples of their work on YouTube or MySpace. Would you happen to have a link to any? As for Taramis' Stretch of the Imagination, I already have the album, and while the vocals aren't my favorite, I do love the instrumental parts! "Jigaboo Boogie" is actually one of my favorite instrumental songs!

Terrahsphere had some sweet instrumental parts, but the vocals weren't exactly what I was looking for. I'm sorry that I can't really provide a better critique other then that the vocals all sound harsh from some of these suggestions! Skeptic Sense's "Harmony of Souls" had some decent vocals at the start, but not so much through the middle of the song. Their song "Raped" is more along the lines of what I'm looking for though, so thanks for the recommendation! As for Sieges Even's, they got the Watchtower instrumental sound I'm looking for, but the vocals are a little strange IMO! Thanks anyways though!

Thanks for the Immaculate rec! I'm getting a sweet Realm vibe in the vocal department from them, or at least their song "The Immaculate Dead"! And thanks for the Hexenhaus' Awakening rec! (Three out of six rec's ain't bad!) It's actually pretty sweet! I've had some rec's before for their earlier stuff, but I didn't know they had different vocalists for the first two albums! The vocals remind me quite a bit of Forbidden in parts! So thanks again!

@The_Erlking
Well thank you The_Elkring! As I mentioned in one of my first replies, I just figure it's the best way to get my point across, and help define my search, to get better recommendations! And yes, the general census is that I'm looking for either Technical Thrash, or US Power/Speed metal as you mentioned!

I've had rec's before for Voivod, but couldn't seem to get into them! Any songs you could suggest that sound similar to any of my examples in my first post? I feel kind of ashamed as their another big Canadian band that I should be into along with Annihilator!

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:20 pm 

lawrencek wrote:
I've had rec's before for Voivod, but couldn't seem to get into them! Any songs you could suggest that sound similar to any of my examples in my first post? I feel kind of ashamed as their another big Canadian band that I should be into along with Annihilator!

I don't know. I certainly didn't get into them over one night myself. Try maybe these songs: Killing Technology, Ravenous Medicine, Technocratic Manipulators, Experiment and The Unknown Knows.

VictimsOfDeception
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:08 pm 

This thread just reminded me that I need that Terrashsphere record. Those guys sound bad ass.

lawrencek wrote:
@VictimsOfDeception
No worries about the Watchtower rec! Well, I can't seem to find any songs from their last album on YouTube, and while the foreign vocals on their previous albums turn me off a little, I'll give them another listen! As for Blind Illusion, there vocals are a little to low/gruff for me, but I love Les Claypool's bass on their songs! Also, the demo's with David White are awesome! :metal:

Kingdom of Paranoia does not have foreign vocals on it, as far as Wolf Spider goes.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:10 pm 

Loads of bands come to mind, but here are some absolute essentials that you must hear.

Destiny's End: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUfEn57E2Hs
Riot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZUysqemMmg
Agent Steel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzPPQcdS2LY

lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:47 pm 

@The_Erlking
Thanks for the song rec's The_Erlking, but I think it was Snake's accent that I couldn't get past. It kind of sounds like a very odd version of Dave Mustaine at times, which is odd that I don't like, as Megadeth is one of my favorite bands! Oh well!

@VictimsOfDeception
Ahh, sorry! I'm just basing that on what I've heard from the few songs I could find from their album on YouTube! Lyrics aren't provided, and since I couldn't make out any of the words, I assumed it was a foreign language! I mean, the instrumental parts are just as great as "Drifting In The Sullen Sea", although I believe it's pretty undeniable that these two songs are being sung in Polish:

S-Shop - Quite catchy, and I could only assume he mean's "Sex shop".
Zniszczyć Mafię - Love the bass intro in this song, and the vocalists high-pitched screams at the end of some of the verses are very Forbidden-ish!

@Oblarg
Thanks for the Destiny's End recommendation Oblarg! I'm quite shocked as I wasn't overly impressed with James Rivera's vocals from any of the Helstar stuff I've heard, but. Thanks for Agent Steel rec as well! There was always something I found a little odd about JohnCyriis's vocals. I believe it was the naisily delivery of some words he gave, but thanks for the rec' anyways!

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:19 pm 

lawrencek wrote:
@HamburgerBoy
Thanks for the Megace rec, but I wasn't able to actually find any examples of their work on YouTube or MySpace. Would you happen to have a link to any?

Here's one song...

http://www.divshare.com/download/11079014-2e9

Listening again though there's more harsh vocals than I remember; usually cleans in the verses and growls in the choruses, so it will probably turn you off.

lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:20 am 

Thanks for the link HamburgerBoy! That's actually not a bad song! The vocals are a little strange to hear when she screams, but the actual instrumental parts are pretty close to what I'm looking for! :metal:

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:39 am 

More recommendations coming.

Destruction: Release From Agony and Cracked Brain
Kinetic Dissent: I Will Fight No More Forever
Omnitron: Masterpeace
Rosicrucian: No Cause for Celebration
Calhoun Conquer: Lost in Oneself

Lysander
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:56 am 

I have spent many moons searching for bands who have put out God-tier tech thrash.

The list is very very small. Something like this:

God tier:

Coroner, Watchtower, Realm, Artillery

High Tier:

Sacrifice, Invocator, Believer, Toxik

Mid Tier:

Xentrix, Mekong Delta, Anacrusis

I've left out others like Annihilator and Voivod because, even after extended play-time they do nothing for me.

lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:15 am 

@The_Erlking
Thanks for some more recommendation's The_Erlking! Destruction's "Release From Agony" is a little to straight thrash for me in the vocal department! Just not what I'm looking for along the lines of Toxik, Realm, Heathen, etc. "Cracked" Brain had a closer sound in the instrumental department, and I didn't mind the vocals as much! Thanks for the recommendation! Thanks for the Kinetic Dissent rec' as well! "I Will Fight No More Forever" & "Cults of Unreason" are more along the lines of what I'm looking for, at least from what I heard from those song anyways! They both had a sort of Heathen vibe to it when it comes to the vocals!

I couldn't find any examples of Omnitron's "Masterpeace" short of downloading the album from a blog. You wouldn't happen to have a link to any examples of their songs would you? Rosicrucian's "Naked Face Down" from No Cause for Celebration had a slightly heavier Heathen like sound to it, at least during the intro! The vocals are a little gruff for me, but the song wasn't that bad, so thanks for the rec! Also, I was able to find Calhoun Conquer's "Disgust and Hate" from Lost In Oneself, and it was actually pretty awesome! Had some interesting solos! Thanks for the rec'!

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:59 am 

lawrencek wrote:
@The_Erlking
Thanks for some more recommendation's The_Erlking! Destruction's "Release From Agony" is a little to straight thrash for me in the vocal department! Just not what I'm looking for along the lines of Toxik, Realm, Heathen, etc. "Cracked" Brain had a closer sound in the instrumental department, and I didn't mind the vocals as much! Thanks for the recommendation! Thanks for the Kinetic Dissent rec' as well! "I Will Fight No More Forever" & "Cults of Unreason" are more along the lines of what I'm looking for, at least from what I heard from those song anyways! They both had a sort of Heathen vibe to it when it comes to the vocals!

I couldn't find any examples of Omnitron's "Masterpeace" short of downloading the album from a blog. You wouldn't happen to have a link to any examples of their songs would you? Rosicrucian's "Naked Face Down" from No Cause for Celebration had a slightly heavier Heathen like sound to it, at least during the intro! The vocals are a little gruff for me, but the song wasn't that bad, so thanks for the rec! Also, I was able to find Calhoun Conquer's "Disgust and Hate" from Lost In Oneself, and it was actually pretty awesome! Had some interesting solos! Thanks for the rec'!

Wow you're fast to catch up! Unfortunately I haven't seen any Omnitron songs on Youtube or elsewhere so the only way to hear them out is downloading the full album (aside with buying it obviously)

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:15 pm 

Bit of a shot in the dark but try Tyrant's Reign
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JHbxn-a ... re=related

Airdash (Not sure what you will think of this one)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3PUldkCcVc

Mortal Sin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewT4xR6awsA
Lebanon is one of the best thrash songs in my opinion.

Stone (Finland's answer to the bay area and quite technical though the vocals sound along the lines of stuff like Evil Dead.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syT8k4o7zKA

Powermad (Nice power/thrash)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxyXDNARzBg

Destructor (another shot in the dark)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SukqnubG1xw

Sacrifice was mentioned before. They vary a fair bit in their albums with Termination by Fire sounding closest to what you are looking for. The most progressive and technical of their albums. If the song Cyanide doesn't work then I would forget about them. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKjb13TQYFQ

Last edited by Visionary on Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:43 pm 

@The_Erlking
I was able to get a hold of some songs from Omnitron's "Masterpeace", but wasn't overly impressed with the vocals. The songs were interesting though! Thanks for the rec anyways!

@Visionary
Thanks for the Tyrant's "Reign" rec, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for, as the production quality is so-so. Also, I'm more of a fan of Sacrifice's "Soldiers of Misfortune", but that's not really what I'm looking for at the moment! It's not as fast or high-energy as what I'm looking for here, and the vocals definitely aren't what I'm looking for, but thanks anyways!

So, I just wanted to kind of update everyone on what I am looking for, and what I've found, with credit to those who helped! :D

First off, here are the examples I provided earlier. The vocals are extremely important! Looking for clean, higher pitched (Not over the top!) vocals along the line of Mike Sanders, Charles Sabin, David Godfrey/White, (early)Russ Anderson, Mark Antoni, etc. The lyrics, not so much. These songs all have a rather technical structure to them, are high-energy, fast, and have a certain production quality/sound that I'm looking for!

Here are some examples of what I'm looking for:
World Circus - From Toxik's World Circus
Black and White - From Toxik's Think This
Endless War - From Realm's Endless War
Slay The Oppressor - From Realm's Endless War
Chalice of Blood - From Forbidden's Forbidden Evil
Through Eyes of Glass - From Forbidden's Forbidden Evil
Search for Perfection - From Paradox's Heresy
Pray for Death - From Heathen's Breaking The Silence
Timeless Cell Of Prophecy - From Heathen's Victims of Deception

Here is a list of bands I've found that I like thanks to some awesome rec's:
Abuser - Thanks to autothrall!
Assalant - From another thread.
Flotsam and Jetsam - From another thread.
Glacier - From another thread.
Hexenhaus - Thanks to HamburgerBoy!
Immaculate - Thanks again to HamburgerBoy!
Wolf Spider - Big thanks to VictimsOfDeception! I love "Drifting In The Sullen Sea"!

Thanks to everyone who's recommended bands, albums, and even specific songs! I really appreciate it! As you can see above, I've already had some success! Keep them coming! :metal:

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:25 pm 

Well, if you don't like John Cyriis's voice, you still might like some of Agent Steel's newer stuff (different vocalist):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucKN32N0rMM

Also, while maybe not as thrashy as the other stuff, Conception is pretty awesome and you should give them a listen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRqUfuKe72M

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:21 pm 

If you like Glacier (who I consider to be more power metal than anything) you'll probably like Slauter Xstroyes, who are also melodic and 80's power, but more technical and speed/thrash-y.

Skitzo (not the Bay Area one) only released a three song demo, but it's fairly well produced and Heathen-ish. One song.

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:32 am 

HamburgerBoy wrote:
If you like Glacier (who I consider to be more power metal than anything) you'll probably like Slauter Xstroyes, who are also melodic and 80's power, but more technical and speed/thrash-y.

Yes SX were amazing band. Especially Winter Kill album.

lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:15 pm 

@Visionary
Thanks for the Airdash rec' Visionary! The sound is very close to what I'm looking for, but I'm not really a huge fan of the rather flat vocals. Would you happen to know of a song that has a more varied range? Also, thanks for the Mortal Sin recommendation! Lebanon is a pretty sweet song! I even like their newer stuff from An Absence of Faith like "Out Of The Darkness!" As for Stone, I like the instrumental sound, but the vocals are to low and gruff for what I'm looking for! I've heard lot's about them though, so I'll keep looking into them! Thanks!

I'm amazed I didn't mention earlier that I already own both Powermad albums, and love the song "Nice Dreams"! If you can recommend anything like that, I'm really appreciate it! As for Destructor, they sound just to plain thrash for me! The mid-range to low pitched vocals (IMO) aren't what I'm looking for, but thanks anyways!

@Oblarg
Thanks for the Agent Steel rec' Oblarg! That's actually a pretty decent song, and the vocalist is pretty good! The song isn't exactly what I'm looking for in relation the examples I gave in my original post, but I'll look into their new albums! Also, thanks for the Conception recommendation, but I must have forgot to mention that I already have Parallel Lines and In Your Multitude, which I love! More rec's like that would be appreciated though!

@HamburgerBoy
Thanks for the Slauter Xstroyes recommendation HamburgerBoy! That song was pretty awesome, and the guitars had a really sweet sound to them! I'll keep looking into their other songs! Also, thanks for the Skitzo rec'! That song is pretty sweet! :metal:

~Guest 199766
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:20 am 

How 'bout Acid Storm's Biotronic Genesis? Technical, energetic and definitely recommended to any fellow Toxik and Heathen fans. Here's a few samples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=528uo13cD30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0cMNwgAo88&feature=related

lawrencek
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:26 am 

@Pass_The_Peace_Pipe
Wow, thanks so much for the recommendation Pass_The_Peace_Pipe! Those two songs definitely have the sound I'm looking for! The vocals will take a bit to get used to, but it's definitely the closest sounding (Instrumental wise) to Toxik that I've heard so far (Which I'm always searching for)! Thanks again! :metal:

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next