Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necropleasurist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:59 am 

So I have been a fan of this band for a few months now, ever since I saw it mentioned here on the forums somewhere... but is this the only band playing in this style?

I absolutely love the dark, brooding, and slooooowwwww sound Bohren und der Club of Gore create, and I want MORE. However, I don't know of anything remotely close to sounding like the band. Can anybody help me out??

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:55 am 

I've been looking for the exact same for months! I found a few of those "dark jazz" bands, but none of them really sounded like Bohren to me. Some of the better bands I found during my search is: The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble, Dale Cooper Quartet & the Dictaphones and Kammerflimmer Kollektief.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Voice_of_Reason
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:27 pm 

Assuming you mean "Black Earth" and as such, I can only recommend some things that are similar in terms of their slowness, simpleness, and utterly gut wrenching bleakness, but the closest approximations I've come across are Earth's "western" sounding releases and some songs from Perdition, esp; "Advanced Darkness (Prevailing Forevermore)" and "Demonized", and neither of those bands have Boren's distinctly urban feel nor its particular brand of loneliness as they are musically more "active". I'm probobly the wrong guy to ask about anything jazz anyways...

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:51 pm 

Bohren take a lot of cues from classic post-rock. I'd check out A Silver Mt Zion and Godspeed You! Black Emperor if you haven't already.

Voice_of_Reason
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:58 pm 

GYBE? I had assumed he wanted soul crushing bleakness not gut busting goofiness.

Necropleasurist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:42 pm 

VoR, you hit the nail on the head. At least, better then fuckin' post-rock, haha.

I have A Silver Mt. Zion and Godspeed You!, and they sound NOTHING like Bohren.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:59 am 

They use different aesthetic approaches to obtain similar atmospheres. if Godspeed sounds "goofy" to you, at least you'll never know what you're missing out on. Bohren has obvious ties to post-rock, no matter how much you might not want them to.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:04 am 

So anything that has a similar atmosphere has ties to post rock...? I'm not sure I follow, much less agree at all.

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:07 am 

Bohren uses timbre, gradual variations of theme, and quiet/loud dynamics, just like a lot of post-rock bands. obviously they put their own spin on it, and I wouldn't say they are a post-rock band either. let us remember that most current post-rock fans would probably never recognize bark psychosis - hex as such, even though it was one of the first albums to be associated with the term.

if someone likes B&dcog, I feel like there's also a good chance they'd like gybe and asmz due to the elements they have in common.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:09 am 

I can think of quite a few genres that use those elements rather generously, but not at all would I claim them to have ties to post rock. If you want to say there are similarities in composition, that's one thing, and maybe that's what you're trying to say. However to me a tie suggests something much more substantial and meaningful.

I also don't think Godspeed does anything close to Bohren, either.

Necropleasurist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:37 am 

sortalikeadream wrote:
if someone likes B&dcog, I feel like there's also a good chance they'd like gybe and asmz due to the elements they have in common.

The elements, composition, and atmosphere is not what I'm looking for. Well, somewhat of the dark atmosphere, yes, but moreso what I'm looking for is sound.

Nortt is a band that comes to mind as far as atmosphere that can match up to Bohren's, but I wouldn't want them recommended, because Nortt doesn't sound similar to Bohren.

Mind you, I like Mt. Zion and Godspeed, and I thoroughly enjoy them. Actually, I'm listening to F#A#∞ right now. Just clarifying all of this up. Thanks anyways.

666_International
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:16 am 

I'm assuming you've heard Ulver's Shadows of the Sun? I can't think of anything closer really.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:32 pm 

Necropleasurist wrote:
VoR, you hit the nail on the head. At least, better then fuckin' post-rock, haha.

I have A Silver Mt. Zion and Godspeed You!, and they sound NOTHING like Bohren.

Hmm, y eah, I like GYBE a fair bit but they don't sound like Bohren.

Earth is indeed maybe a godo bet (the later stuff), and you could try Moricone's soundtracks, too, though I'm not an expert in his work and couldn't really recommend any particular film score. You might also be interested in stuff like Goblin or the newer Swedish supergroup Morte Macabre...again, quite the atmosphere isn't very similar but they still may please you.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Reply to topic