Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Blacklinkz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:29 pm 

Hi everybody. About six months ago, I made a thread requesting some bands whose music would give the listener a scenery of pure feelinglessness and sheer cold. This, in the sense of music COMPLETELY (and deliberately) devoid of all emotions, with only one single purpose: mechanized obliteration.

Not passionate, not angry, just overwelmingly crushing and/or suffocating. Something that sounds like:

This,

this,

this (no sample found),

or this (except the ending)...

just even more emotionless.

In the past thread, I received some competent recommendations, such as Godflesh, Blut Aus Nord, Alien Deviant Circus, The Axis of Perdition, and Darkspace. However, all of these failed at some point to completely fit with the request.

Again, recommendations from all genres are accepted; only -core will be rejected (except maybe grindcore-influenced stuff)

UPDATE: So far, this is the best example I've come across to the sound I'm looking for: Reido. Something like this, with shorter song lengths would be great!

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Thanks for moving it.

http://intothepandemoniumes.blogspot.com Blog with reviews, articles and other nerdy stuff. Spanish only :/

Last edited by Blacklinkz on Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SatanicPotato
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:34 pm 

portal are very cold sounding

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:36 pm 

Mourning Beloveth's A Disease For The ages is a crushing, austere, suffocating slab of doom/death metal, with crushing riff after crushing riff, no mercy, no emotion, just pure devastation and decay.Might be what you are looking for.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:32 am 

V:28 play industrial death metal that sounds very cold, at least to me. The whole thing is fairly bleak, yet retains an emotionless vibe (oxymoron? :lol:) to them.

Also Reido's F:\all. Suffocating production. Read Noktorn's review.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:30 am 

After listening to the samples, none of them really sounded that crushing or really even devoid of emotion. Well, Anaal Nathrakh to an extent as well as the Celtic Frost song, but definitely not the The Red Chord-thingie, even if you forget about the ending. I think Godflesh does this thing much better on Streetcleaner than these bands. Portal is something you might be interested in though.

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:46 am 

You could try something by the Iranian "blackness music" fellow, Nazhand. The album, or EP, or whatevber its meant to be, called BLACKNESS is pretty devoid of everything....but quite good.

Really though, you probably need to look beyond metal for this sort of sound; some martial or dark ambient might be up your alley. Humans kinda bring emotion into things...its our (their) nature.

Blacklinkz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:33 pm 

Well, so far the best recommendationd have been V:28, Reido and Portal.

V:28 - Excellent music, I'm really digging the industrial overtones in their VioLution album. However, thay can get quite emotive (?) sometimes, which fails to the request.

Reido - This is the closer I've got to what I'm looking for, even closer than the samples I gave. Emotionless, slow moving, crushing funeral doom. Fortunely, they're in fact more accessible than what I expected after reading the review. This is the kind of music I'm requesting, but some shorter song-lenghts would be better.

Here's some samples: Reido

Portal - I had already heard this guys, and while they are cold, in did, their music is more psychotic/insane than soulless. They are good, but they're not emotionless... just a bit boring, IMHO.

I hope the samples of Reido will give you a more aproppiate hint to the sound I'm looking for. Thanks for all the recommendations so far, and keep them coming, please.

http://intothepandemoniumes.blogspot.com Blog with reviews, articles and other nerdy stuff. Spanish only :/

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:01 am 

You might want to check out Esoteric, they are, however, as slow as Reido - if not slower at times.

Disagree with Mourning Beloveth, I think it's full of emotion, definitely so compared to Reido.

Check out the song Shadows of Spirits by Darktrance

http://www.myspace.com/darktranceband

Also, for some really off the wall crazy shit, that's mechanical and cold (but much faster) --- http://www.myspace.com/whourkr

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:27 am 

Blacklinkz wrote:
V:28 - Excellent music, I'm really digging the industrial overtones in their VioLution album. However, thay can get quite emotive (?) sometimes, which fails to the request.

Reido - This is the closer I've got to what I'm looking for, even closer than the samples I gave. Emotionless, slow moving, crushing funeral doom. Fortunely, they're in fact more accessible than what I expected after reading the review. This is the kind of music I'm requesting, but some shorter song-lenghts would be better.

Glad you like these, mate. Unfortunately, I don't know anything similar to Reido. They're making a new album now, I believe, so you might want to keep an eye out for that if you're interested.

I didn't find them accessible at first. I disliked it, but something in the back of my mind kept telling me to give them another go, then another, and then another. Eventually, the music clicked with me and now I love it. I can't play it all the time, as once every now and then is enough breathlessness I can take. :P

As for V:28, sorry they weren't exactly the right kind of emotionless music you're after. However, if you like them, check out Red Harvest. Although, I think Red Harvest have a little more emotion in their music.

I would've recommended Beneath The Massacre, but you said no -core music, so you can check them out if you're interested, otherwise dismiss them altogether. :) Up to you, buddy.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Necropleasurist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:23 pm 

Bumping an old post, but..

Have you tried Mayhem's most recent album, "Ordo Ad Chao"?
I find this to be very "mechanical", apocalyptic, and emotionless.

Bohren & der Club of Gore's "Black Earth" is an extremely katatonic album, with sloooow ambiance and bass with emotionless jazz over it. Not as lame as it sounds.

Leviathan, the same band that wrote The Tenth Sub Level of Suicide and Tentacles of Whorror, had released an EP of pure dark ambiance entitled "A Silhouette In Splinters". Like a void of nothingness. Completely terrifying, as well.

germandeather
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:50 am 

Great Band Black Sun (listen to "Paralyser")

http://www.myspace.com/legionofblacksun

also good : Planet AIDS

http://www.myspace.com/planetaids

Acidchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:52 am 

Blacklinkz wrote:
devoid of all emotions

All of my favorite tech-death bands?

But for real, I second Portal.

AWESOME BRUTAL DEATH METAL
CHECK IT OUT

Sanaton
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:22 pm 

How about Fear Factory's debut album, Soul Of A New Machine?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:16 pm 

Maybe try The Monolith Deathcult?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

FuneralDeity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:46 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:

Always try Monolith Deathcult!

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:40 pm 

Most drone-doom seems to me about as emotionless as music can get. Check out some early Sunn and Earth if you haven't already.

Blacklinkz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:48 pm 

FuneralDeity wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

Always try Monolith Deathcult!

Sorry, they're a great band, but far too bombastic. Also, sorry for not replying this two weeks. I didn't realize this thread was bumped. Thanks for the rec's, anyway.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:06 pm 

Thorn's self titled? Sounds like black metal trapped in the cold dark void of space.

Or something.

alexaons
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:32 pm 

Marag wrote:
Mourning Beloveth's A Disease For The ages is a crushing, austere, suffocating slab of doom/death metal, with crushing riff after crushing riff, no mercy, no emotion, just pure devastation and decay.Might be what you are looking for.

Fucking sick, I was reading this thread and I check out you rec on this band and go listen to it, it is fucking awesome!!

Mother_of_God
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:18 am 

sortalikeadream wrote:
Most drone-doom seems to me about as emotionless as music can get. Check out some early Sunn and Earth if you haven't already.

You gotta be shitting me.
Most drone-doom i've heard is basically nothing but pure, dark atmosphere and is very emotional.

GrimSleaper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:49 pm 

Have you tried Hierophants various projects? Namely his one man project catacombs?

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:18 pm 

Mother_of_God wrote:
sortalikeadream wrote:

You gotta be shitting me.
Most drone-doom i've heard is basically nothing but pure, dark atmosphere and is very emotional.

cool

Wordless_Hon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:24 am 

if you're not familiar with it you should try Deathspell Omega's Fas Ite Maledicti. Most of the album is pure chaos and pretty much anti-melody so it may fit your criteria

Reply to topic