Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SnuffThespian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:29 am 

I'm looking for something with a light, calm post-punk feel but still with a black metal aesthetic. I like bands like Amesoeurs and Hateful Abandon; only I'd prefer primarily black metal vocals and a faster, lessy doomy beat, as if I were listening to the Chameleons or Joy Division.

Something like this but with better production and more talent.
Or imagine this but with harsh vocals.

Appreciate any help, thanks.

Blacklinkz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:08 am 

Well, not exactly post-punk-influences, but I think Agalloch should be up your alley. They sound much unlike any post-punk I've heard, but they evoke a similar atmosphere pretty often,

Kind of a mix of Black/"Dark"/Folk/Post-/Melodic Metal. Really enjoyable. Here's a link:

Falling Snow

http://intothepandemoniumes.blogspot.com Blog with reviews, articles and other nerdy stuff. Spanish only :/

SnuffThespian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:25 am 

I actually know of Agalloch already, but I've never listened to this song or the complete album. The only song I've heard from them is "Limbs", so the slower atmosphere is sort of the impression I had of the band's music, which wasn't what I was looking for. I see now I should look into more of their material. Thanks!

Dark_Mewtwo1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:25 am 

I recommend you check out Somnolence - As Midgard Weeps, which mixes those awesome tremolo guitar lines that Sad Lovers and Giants/The Chameleons use, along with Bathory-inspired chants and black metal. Overall, the album reminds me more of a gothic rock band due to the chanting, but the music isn't very fast, it keeps a steady beat while the guitarists use those textures and black metal riffs throughout.

Also check out:

Herrenvolk - Erwache: This band sounds closer to goth bands again, but the influence is undeniable when you listen to this.

Lifelover - I'm not really a fan of this band, but they have added more and more post-punk and indie rock influences into their music as time has gone on. I listened to Dekadens a few days ago and it was a post-punk black metal EP.

Thranenkind's first demo, although they are definitely rooted in black metal.

SnuffThespian
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:29 am 

Definitely checking these out, thanks. :thumbsup:

FuneralDeity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:38 am 

Why does every "searching for" thread wind up with someone recommending Agalloch???

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:52 am 

To the OP, the closest you'll find to what you're looking for, besides Amesoeurs, is probably Onryō. They don't have any releases out yet unfortunately, but you can check out 2 songs here: http://www.myspace.com/onryokaidan.

The next closest is probably Thränenkind, as Dark_Mewtwo1 said, so I'm definitely seconding them.

greenandblack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:45 am 

I'm not hugely fond of them in general (mainly because of the frequently-used clean vocals, which are very odd and not really in a good way, IMO- they sound like a rather poor Ian Curtis imitation), but Circle of Ouroborus has a very strong post-punk influence, more so than any other black metal band I've heard. If you can get past the vocals, there's probably no band which is a better fit to your request. (Or at least, I haven't heard anything comparable.)

Verdunkeln (a band I like much better) also has a distinct post-punk influence, though it's rather more subtle than Circle of Ouroborus, and it may not be fully what you're looking for- they seem to be more influenced by the old-school goth sound (bands like Sisters of Mercy, for example) than that of the original post-punk bands like Joy Division. If that's close enough for you, I'd highly recommend them- they're an excellent band IMO, one of my favorite black metal bands at the moment.

Since you mentioned Hateful Abandon, another band along those lines is Crooked Necks, formerly known as Frail. They seem to take after the Cure more than Joy Division, and are rather more "pop"-sounding than Hateful Abandon- aside from the vocals that is, which are black metal style all the way through. Quite unusual sounding. They aren't on the Archives as the vocals are the only metal element, but they have a Myspace page here.

SymphonyXFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:49 am 

I agree with the Agalloch suggestion, but listen to "As Embers Dress The Sky", "I Am The Wooden Doors", and "She Painted Fire Across The Skyline Pt. II".

Konig_ov_Hel wrote:
Stop derailing the thread, douchesickles.

www.myspace.com/decayingmyyouth -experimental doom metal

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:41 am 

Heretoir from Germany should be what you're looking for, the 'Existenz' EP is really great. Brilliant atmosphere and quite an intense vocal performance. Clear Amesoeurs influence but he's definitely doing his own thing. http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=3540263322

Also, Soliness (http://www.myspace.com/soliness), who are also from Germany may interest you. Listen to the track 'Skygaze', shitty drum-programming but awesome guitars and outro. Not a huge black metal sound, but it's still appreciable.

Mother_of_God
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:56 am 

Quote:
Why does every "searching for" thread wind up with someone recommending Agalloch???

Because Agalloch is fucking awesome.

FleshMonolith
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:34 am 

if you like Amersouers you'd probably like LantlĂ´s. Much more on the black metal shtick, but some post-punk comes through. Good regardless.

Forgotten Woods? Surprised no one mentioned them. Or Joyless(i've never heard them, but apparently they went in a much more post punk direction). The Curse Of Mankind is excellent, and the track, With Swans I'll Share My Thirst is an excellent non black metal song, give it a shot.

http://perpetualstrifemusic.blogspot.com/

Reply to topic