Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
INTERNETSUPERHIGHWAY
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:27 am 

Hopefully this is the right place to ask this... Just how there is "real metal" and "fake metal" I assume there is "real" and fake "rap" and as usual the watered down commercial shit like "Lil Wayne" or whatever is going to be the most popular and well known. I know this is a metal board primarily but surely good, relatively underground rap bands exist. I just don't know anything about them (I don't know jack shit about rap in general). I found Gravediggaz to be pretty good, for example.

~Guest 178973
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:55 am 

Since they all talk about groups/artists like "Jedi Mind Trick" and that Necro dude, I assume that they're among the "tr00 rappaz".

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:45 am 

Just start with the Tribe called Quest, NWA, Wu-Tang clan, Public Enemy type stuff, they're like the Black Sabbaths, Judas Priests and Iron Maidens of rap.

childrenofthenight
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:37 am 

Actually the Black Sabbaths of Rap would be Afrikaa Bambaata, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Cold Crush etc...

Some more tr00 rap: Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Gang Starr, Eric B. and Rakim, Too $hort, KRS One, Kool G Rap, Big Daddy Kane, Smiff n Wessun, Showbiz & AG, Black Moon, MOP, early Nas, AZ, Tragedy Khadafi, early Mobb Deep, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, A Tribe Called Quest, Hieroglyphics, Slick Rick, earlier Tupac, BG, Scarface, Geto Boys, Wutang and associated artists, NWA, early The Roots, Public Enemy, early Capone n Noreaga etc etc

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:01 am 

Beastie Boys

immortalshadow666
Transilvanian sandwich, mould! MOULD!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:41 am 

Definitely going among the Necro crowd and anybody associated with him for good underground rap.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:27 am 

immortalshadow666 wrote:
Definitely going among the Necro crowd and anybody associated with him for good underground rap.

Necro is a spazzy fucking faggot that sounds like Elmer Fudd with down syndrome. Ill Bill and Non-Phixion on the other hand were pretty decent. Although this Coka Nostra bullshit they have going on is extremely awful.

Jedi Mind Tricks will wear thin on you relatively quickly but its a good jumping off point for young white males. They have a lot of guest appearances from real legends that should help you branch out.

Childrenofthenight covered the important stuff, which is to say the NY hardcore hip hop movement. However, just to balance it out with some good west coast stuff you definitely need to check out King Tee, The Alkaholiks, Xzibit (people think this guy is a joke because he hosted Pimp My Ride, but his first three albums are absolute bangers), the whole Living Legends crew, Blackalicious, Ras Kass, Da Lench Mob (put on by Ice Cube well before he turned pop-actor).

There's also a rich scene from the south if you go back to the mid-90s. Outkast put out classic after classic, but in my opinion Aquemini is one of the greatest hip hop albums ever recorded. Also check out Goodie Mob's early stuff. Geto Boys were amazing and Scarface put out some quality solo stuff after they split. The freestyle sessions from screw tapes are also really entertaining if you're in the mood to hear some really fucked up fat dudes go off the top for hours. Just look up Screwed Up Click and get some mixtapes.

Last but never fucking least do not sleep on Heltah Skeltah or Sean Price.

DiscreetMachine
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:48 am 

Yes. The Roots. they use real instruments

Viral_Nemesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:50 am 

Seconding (among others) the Geto Boys. Criminally underrated mid-90s Southern hip-hop, get a copy of their self-titled album. If I recall, their lyrical content pissed off the more PC mainstream critics such as those at Rolling Stone, which gets extra points from me.

One rapper I always recommend to metal fans is Brotha Lynch Hung. If you like Gravediggaz, definitely check him out Because of his OTT lyrical content, he is sometimes lumped in with the godawaful ICP/Necro/horrorcore crowd, but make no mistake, he's an excellent, vesatile rapper that's leagues above that garbage. Check out "Season of da Sicness" for some awesome ultra-violent rap.

If you're more interested in experimental/"backpack" rap sounds, check out anything from Rawkus (R.I.P) and Definitive Jux records, especially Company Flow, El-P, Big L, and Mr. Lif.

And of course, while not hip-hop in the strictest sense, check out Dälek. They're like Public Enemy meets Godflesh.

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:01 pm 

Viral_Nemesis wrote:
One rapper I always recommend to metal fans is Brotha Lynch Hung. If you like Gravediggaz, definitely check him out Because of his OTT lyrical content, he is sometimes lumped in with the godawaful ICP/Necro/horrorcore crowd, but make no mistake, he's an excellent, vesatile rapper that's leagues above that garbage. Check out "Season of da Sicness" for some awesome ultra-violent rap.

Ya bet me to it, Brotha Lynch is my favorite and is miles above Gravediggaz.

Del tha Funkee Homosapien is a very good rapper as well. I'm sure you've heard some of his songs if you've played any of the Tony Hawk games.

Immortal Technique actually raps about shit that's going on around us and is miles above others as far as being politically/socially aware.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:06 pm 

Check out some MF Doom as well. Very slick beats and dry voice that works wonders.

Here's a sample: Eaaaaaaaase

I'd like to throw in Ice Cube, but many people don't like him and I sure don't like the new direction he's taken, but his material in the early '90s is spot on the shit.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Shawnathan_Mory
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:14 pm 

Pharcyde and Bone thugs n harmony are really good. Especially the early records.

Viral_Nemesis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:16 pm 

Quote:

Del tha Funkee Homosapien is a very good rapper as well. I'm sure you've heard some of his songs if you've played any of the Tony Hawk games.

Immortal Technique actually raps about shit that's going on around us and is miles above others as far as being politically/socially aware.

Cynical_Misanthropy, you've made my day. Glad to see another metalhead into BLH! I've gotten buddies of mine who listen strictly death or black metal to appreciate this guy, it's a shame he's so underrated.

Del's Deltron 3030 project is amazing, one of the first underground rap albums I ever bought.

I've heard of Immortal Technique, but I've yet to check him out. What's a good first album to get?

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:21 pm 

Viral_Nemesis wrote:
Quote:

Cynical_Misanthropy, you've made my day. Glad to see another metalhead into BLH! I've gotten buddies of mine who listen strictly death or black metal to appreciate this guy, it's a shame he's so underrated.

Del's Deltron 3030 project is amazing, one of the first underground rap albums I ever bought.

I've heard of Immortal Technique, but I've yet to check him out. What's a good first album to get?

Revolutionary Vol. 2 is my favorite, although all three are excellent.

Edit: Just do a quick search on youtube and listen to the top songs.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:24 pm 

Immortal Technique is mediocre as fuck and the current darling of the "underground hip hop head". The guy spits the same cliched political tripe we've been hearing for years, yet he does it over less than average beats with TERRIBLE flow, a forced voice, and bad breath control.

If you want some political hip hop that actually has some bite to it check out Paris' first few albums, especially The Devil Made Me Do It. Not only does he have incredible technique (He sounds like an angry westcoast Rakim) he makes his own beats and they are funky as FUCK with hard bass lines.

This should go without saying as well but Big Punisher's debut is one of the greatest displays of rhyme-talent since Kool G Rap first stepped out. Don't think that "Not A Player" is indicative of his style. That dude was ultra-violent:

Aiyyo I shatter dreams like Jordan, assault and batter your team
Your squadron'll be barred from rap like Adam & Eve from the garden
I'm carvin' my initials on your forehead
So every night before bed you see the "BP" shine off the boardhead
Reverse that, I curse at the first wack nigga with the worst rap
cause he ain't worth jack
Hit 'em with a thousand pounds of pressure per slap
Make his whole body jerk back, watch the earth crack
hand him his purse back

A few other importants I forgot that I don't think have been mentioned yet: Main Source (helped Nas get noticed) and Big L.

BPA
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:08 pm 

Seconding Pharcyde's debut. Also recommending GZA's debut (a slightly darker beast than 36 Chambers), Organised Konfusion and RBL Posse.

TheFourHorsemen666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:19 pm 

Get the D.O.C.'s No One Can Do It Better as well. He was a ghost writer for NWA and is easily the greatest rapper to rap over the production of Dr. Dre. At least check out Mind Blowin on youtube.

thepickaxemurderer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:21 pm 

Brotha Lynch Hung.

Great shit.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:22 pm 

The D.O.C. I'll back up, too (ForeHorsemen's post), though his story is such a tragedy. The car accident completely ruined his voice, and I heard Helter Skelter (creepy cover) and that voice is just so grating it's unbearable to hear (and sad).
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Tantalus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:27 pm 

No-one's mentioned Dalek yet, so I will. Dalek. Abandoned Languages is fucking essential.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:29 pm 

Tantalus wrote:
No-one's mentioned Dalek yet, so I will. Dalek. Abandoned Languages is fucking essential.

Viral_Nemesis wrote:
And of course, while not hip-hop in the strictest sense, check out Dälek. They're like Public Enemy meets Godflesh.

AnonymousKindaGuy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:29 pm 

DiscreetMachine wrote:
Yes. The Roots. they use real instruments

This.

And of course, the good 'ol Artofficial.

They're Jazz + Rap, and they pull it off oh so well.

doom_monger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:23 pm 

fuck the lil wayne hate. just because he doesnt try to explore existential crises over fourth rate house beats doesnt mean hes not a good rapper.

Grimmig
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:33 pm 

I really like Ugly Duckling. They were my introduction to rap and hip hop I guess. You might wanna check out that Black Keys side project thing, Blakroc. Has Q-Tip, Ludacris, and Mos Def on it among others.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:56 pm 

doom_monger wrote:
fuck the lil wayne hate. just because he doesnt try to explore existential crises over fourth rate house beats doesnt mean hes not a good rapper.

His shitty flow and unbearable voice keep me from even being able to passively listen to him.

OP- Listen to more Wu-Tang Clan and the solo albums. "Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)", "Supreme Clientele", "Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...", "Bobby Digital in Stereo", "Liquid Swords" and "Wu-Tang Forever" are all top-notch albums. I'd steer clear of Ol' Dirty Bastard's solo stuff until you get used to his completely unconventional style.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:21 pm 

If you like intelligently used samples, do check out CunningLynguists. Kno's beats are so packed with emotion. The lyrics are pretty good too. Check out "A Piece of Strange", amazing concept album.

Dalek has some pretty good atmosphere.

Revengeance
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:57 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Necro is a spazzy fucking faggot that sounds like Elmer Fudd with down syndrome. Ill Bill and Non-Phixion on the other hand were pretty decent. Although this Coka Nostra bullshit they have going on is extremely awful.

Jedi Mind Tricks will wear thin on you relatively quickly but its a good jumping off point for young white males. They have a lot of guest appearances from real legends that should help you branch out.

DISCLAIMER: I consider rap a tersiary genre of interest to me.

Necro "and associated acts" = "horrorcore" --> ICP
Despite the name of the genre, I have found little of value in it, but Necro does seem the best.

Jedi Mind Tricks (+ Army of the Pharoah) are great if you dig the whole symphonic + angry thing, they're really good at creating a rich atmosphere to rap over.

Immortal Technique is good but sometimes goes a little too much into literally JUST talking, like preaching, not particularly rhythmic, and while this has some engaging novelty value at first it becomes incredibly annoying.

MOP (Mashed Out Posse)'s first album (self-titled) album is gangsta rap over metal samples (of real metal songs), it's a must-check-out if you're metal and want to like/listen to rap.

K-Os is more of a general hip-hop artist but he's pretty accessible and neat.

Other rap groups I've thoroughly enjoyed...
Jurassic 5 (my favourite overall), Blackalicious, A Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, Edan, Aesop Rock, Pharoah Monche.

And some classics...
NWA's (Straight Out of Compton), Public Enemy (NOT including Revolverlution; also, the first album has a lot of rock/hard-rock and funk rock type samples), Wu-Tang

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:19 pm 

Adriankat wrote:
CunningLynguists.

Jesus fucking titties. This is some great shit.

HumanWaste5150
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:43 pm 

Check out Dead Prez and The Coup instead of Immortal Technique for political hip hop. Paris and CunningLynguists. is also seconded.
We fought to the last breath
Wonder if we will shake hands
Beyond the gates of death

doom_monger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:44 pm 

The fact that the Coup are as unknown as they are is one of the greatest tragedies of contemporary music.

theheinouskilling667
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:44 pm 

Any Sicktanick fans?

Carter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:14 pm 

Doomsday Productions deserve a mention. Horrorcore-ish type group from Las Vegas. If you're a fan of Brotha Lynch you'll probably like them. I've only heard heard the album "Pray 4 Me", but it's fucking great.

Siccness ft. Brotha Lynch
Murda Made A Man of Me (2:00 - 2:04 = my favorite lyrics)

Cynical_Misanthropy
Sect of Sorrow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:43 pm 

doom_monger wrote:

:boo:

Inhumer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:45 pm 

doom_monger wrote:

Nah, hes just not good.

doom_monger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:47 pm 

necro wishes he had 1/10 of lil waynes talent

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.