Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Remnants_Of_Gore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:04 am 

Yeah I'm not working wonders for the cred here but I've been a junkie for Lion, TNT and even the first Winger album lately and need a shot of something else that's similar...

80's styled rock/metal with more serious themes closer to AOR than silly glam and preferably stuff with overt, solid riffs...

Thanks in advance...

Karnstein_Records
Not yet ready for a custom title

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:14 am 

Maybe Warrant's Cherry Pie? Other than the teen-targetted title track, it's mostly AORish. See 'I Saw Red' and 'Uncle Toms Cabin'.

Karnstein Records
www.karnsteinrecords.com

Wet Pussy
Waterlogged

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:00 am 

What's AOR?

Remnants_Of_Gore
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:37 pm 

Karnstein_Records wrote:
Maybe Warrant's Cherry Pie? Other than the teen-targetted title track, it's mostly AORish. See 'I Saw Red' and 'Uncle Toms Cabin'.

Thanks, the song "Uncle Tom's Cabin" fits the bill but haven't heard the rest so I'll get right on that.

Bloodstone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:15 pm 

Hardline - Double Eclipse. The definition of a cult classic, as it's pretty well known among true fans of the style, but had very little in way of commercial success. Excellent rocking riffs everywhere, terrific songwriting, playing and production, but with the unfortunate release date of 1992. Neal Schon from Journey on guitar and Johnny Gioeli later in Axel Rudi Pell's band on vocals. Neal Schon was also in Bad English right before this, which are not quite as good, but has some pretty cool songs like "Straight Through Your Heart" and "Forget Me Not".

Talisman - s/t. Simple bread-and-butter stuff from Sweden with some absolutely huge hooks, plenty of fun. Written by the bass player of Yngwie Malmsteen's band, Marcel Jacob (R.I.P.) and has Jeff Scott Soto on vocals (also an Yngwie alum). "I'll Be Waiting" and "Queen" are highly recommended.

Tyketto - Don't Come Easy. EXCELLENT vocals; Danny Vaughn is one of the genre's greats, his range and power is equaled by few. Stellar solos and guitar riffs as well, this is another of those bands that were just too late in the game to gain much attention (this one's from 1991, their debut). More meat and serious tone to the songwriting than bands of the same era.

Being a huge 80's rock nut I thought I'd be able to come up with more...but yeah I guess most of what I listen to is of the cheesy glam kind.

Armoured_Angel
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:29 am 

Depending on how far into AOR you want to go, some of these are solid melodic rock/metal that I can heartily recommend.

Bob Cately - Immortal
Harem Scarem - Harem Scarem
Harem Scarem - Mood Swings
Emerald Rain - Broken Saviors
Signal - Loud and clear
Jaded Heart - Trust

I find the genre a bit hit and miss, when it's good it can be awesome..when its bad its really bad. So try before you buy.

Reply to topic