Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:34 pm 

Try Gigandhi's Chaaval for something similar to Godflesh and Neurosis.

pantopom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:49 am 

BreedLikeRats wrote:
Is there any more industrial metal that's as good as Godflesh but isn't a godflesh clone? I tried Skin Chamber and Pitchshifter and they sounded like Godflesh clones. I like mysticum, thorns, and The Axis of Perdition. As I said in my other thread I posted, I like "nihilistic" music in general.

Have you checked Spine Wrench, Dead World, Puncture o Optimum Wound Profile? Recommended!!

enjoy!!

Last edited by pantopom on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:13 am 

Not a specific recommendation aimed at anyone in particular, but Therapy?'s early material would probably be of interest to a lot of industrial metal fans. However, I suspect they often get overlooked due to their more accessible/mainstream-sounding later material ("Troublegum" onwards). Even in their early days they often got lumped in with grunge scene, which probably didn't help. Basically, if you've always ignored Therapy? based on their slick pop-punk MTV hits, you may be pleasantly surprised by their 1991-1992 era.

The first two mini-albums "Babyteeth" and "Pleasure Death" contain an excellent mix of industrial-tinged noise-rock, alternative metal and punk. The first full album "Nurse" is slightly less noisy, but still with a prominent industrial feel. Fyfe Ewing's hard-hitting and mechanical drumming is a key factor to their sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhlmVJDzwlg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwDLXjbbUgU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH_yivWallk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q8ym6rJsNE

pantopom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:44 am 

Great post, thanks... I had only noticed Theraphy? from "Troublegum onwards" ;)... really interesting!

kramer820
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:47 pm 

What about Hanzyl & Gretyl?
Yeah i know, they are basically gimmicky and more of a comedy-band, but the music is classic (albeit cliched) Industrial-Metal with monstrous riffs, marching drums and distorted vocals. And as someone from Germany i appreciate the comedic approach to all things german (especially the 3rd reich):

Fukken Über Death Party
Kaiser von Shizer
Loud und Proud

Another band is Oomph! from my homeland Germany and a personal fovourite of my youth. Today they are sadly in the realm of cheap german Pop/Rock but in the years 1992-98 they were probably the best german Electro/Industrial-Metal-band (even Rammstein credited them as one of their influences). The music is riff-driven, backed by electronic drums, fat synths and the charismatic voice of vocalist Dero:

Mitten ins Herz
Helly my name is cancer
War
Das ist Freiheit

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:02 am 

pantopom, those are some good picks. Nice and obscure, too - I think I'd only heard of Dead World before.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:24 pm 

I'm listening to the new Deathstars right now, really good stuff!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:24 am 

Unity wrote:
I'm listening to the new Deathstars right now, really good stuff!

:ugh:

The debut and 2009 albums were really bland and lame. termination bliss is kinda sorta decent at times. thanks, now I have to check this out...
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:54 pm 

androdion wrote:
Are there any bands playing a kind of metallic spacey industrial that's darkly atmospheric and almost melodic at the same time? I'm thinking about Blut Aus Nord's more mid-tempo ambient/industrial moments, such as the following songs for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzRmo05G__4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9moR-1Ux2ME

It doesn't need to have any kind of black metal, but I'd prefer if it had a more metallic sound. I'd also prefer something less grinding in terms of repetition than your typical Streetcleaner influenced album, with more emphasis on texture and nearly ambient textures that evoke (deep or abstract) space like those two songs do. Is there anything like that out there in terms of full-length material?

Bumping this request because after listening to a lot of BAN I concluded that I'd really prefer them to be a pure industrial metal band rather than a black metal one. Another song that summarizes what I want is Epitome II of the first 777 album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-bXkZEeGN4

So, not black metal at all. I'm searching for spacey industrial with a melodic edge. Already know Samael and most assorted bands. Plus I'd like the recs to be centred more on atmosphere, so I wouldn't mind a bit of dark ambient thrown into the mix if needed be.

Come on, there must be something like this out there! :D

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:47 pm 

That Spine Wrench rec was great. Get a real early Killing Joke vibe crossed with some Godflesh. Love it...

~Guest 82538
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:41 pm 

Really? Nothing at all?! :cry:

pantopom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:48 pm 

televiper11 wrote:
That Spine Wrench rec was great. Get a real early Killing Joke vibe crossed with some Godflesh. Love it...

Cool... great you liked it!

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:31 am 

Love this thread !!!

Any recommendations for new stuff that has a sound similar to the (quiet brilliant IMHO ) Chrysalide album, Dont Worry Its About Life...

StoleitfromKilgore
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:40 am 

Hi everybody. I just made my account because I thought that I might be able to contribute one or the other band.

I wasn't completely sure where to post this recommendation, but I belive "King Fear & The Court of Wolves" (Fin) might best be described as some kind of Industrial Metal. Sorry, have never been very good with genre-tags. I guess I listen to too much Prog-/Avantgarde- etc.

Anyway, their website still exists (just google band-name), but both band and website seem to have undergone a transformation and now their albums, which were available for download for free are not there anymore. I still have the albums, but I have not found them anywhere online. Maybe contact the band on bandcamp, if somebody is interested.

Their albums have strong Dark Ambient-influences and i guess a few others, but this influence was the strongest on the first album.

"Bloodletting & Other remedies"

"The inexhaustable hatred of man": Rather strong change from the first album. The ambient-influence is still there, but much reduced.

"The war of all against all EP"

"Sounds of glass, steel & stone": More similar to the two former outputs, than to "Bloodletting", but even "weirder", which I guess is a given with this band. Pseudo-Live-sound. It's a concept-album about a man whose preconceptions about life, society etc. are shattered.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:58 pm 

Neurotech's upcoming album sounds like it's going to be awesome. Here's a preview.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:13 pm 

And here's the first full song.

:nods:

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:50 am 

Great song!

DCCLXXVII
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:40 pm 

Yeah, pretty good, but I really wish he would keep that stuff instrumental. The Elysian Symphony was such a good song...
In the light of Christ

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:29 pm 

This new song wouldn't work out as an instrumental just by the way it's set up though.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:03 am 

Wulf has been releasing full songs from the new Neurotech album with commentary on the pledge campaign website and it's got some of his best tracks ever.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:37 am 

I strongly suggest fans of Godflesh and industrial/noise check out Skin Chamber. I actually forgot about this band for the longest time until I was listening to the artist's main act and was reminded of how good the first record is. Very unsettling and powerful industrial.

Spoiler: show

Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:24 am 

boom!

https://neurotech.bandcamp.com/album/infra-versus-ultra

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:01 pm 

I know, I just came in here to say something about it as I had listened to it earlier. I wasn't really feeling it though. The atmosphere is great, but there are very few riffs, which would be okay, except the good parts just seem to be repeats of the same (distinctive I guess) motif. I'll try it again later.

Last.fm

DCCLXXVII
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:07 pm 

I've been listening to it as well, and I feel the exact same way. I love atmosphere, so I am quite enjoying it, but I crave something faster, something more riff-heavy. Once again I say, The Elysian Symphony is better.
In the light of Christ

nekrokvlt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:44 am 

Been a long time since I looked anything any industrial bands. I am a fan of Electric Hellfire Club and Front Line Assembly especially the last couple of albums and Millennium. Any recommendations of bands with that kind of sounds to them. I am a big fan of movie samples in my industrial. Probably a big reason why I enjoy Millennium so much and because it is awesome. Any recommendations are welcome.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:22 am 

DCCLXXVII wrote:
I've been listening to it as well, and I feel the exact same way. I love atmosphere, so I am quite enjoying it, but I crave something faster, something more riff-heavy. Once again I say, The Elysian Symphony is better.

Neurotech's main focus was never the guitars anyway, but now that the pledge campaign is over he announced "The Halcyon Symphony" to be released this Xmas. Might be something similar to "The Elysian Symphony".

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:31 pm 

Was cleaning out my parent's basement and found a stash of old industrial tapes. Great shit too like Fetish 69, Controlled Bleeding, Pigface, Dead World, & Murder Inc.

Gave them all another blast and the Fetish 69 stuff really holds up and hasn't yet been mentioned in this thread:

Murder Inc. was a super-group of sorts with members of Killing Joke, Prong, Ministry, etc. and the music is good but not as good as it should've been:

Though not really an industrial band, I really dig the industrial influence present on Coroner's much maligned Grin album.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:59 pm 

Yeah controlled bleeding is great, but they never really stay put in any one style. I like the late '80s industrial stuff the best (I think most agree):

Spoiler: show

Last.fm

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:33 pm 

Oh yeah, early Controlled Bleeding is some sick stuff. Nice to see them still get some love.

Some people have been mentioning Front Line Assembly and one thing I really love is Rhys Fulber's Fear Is The Mindkiller remixes of Fear Factory.

Anyone else here into Front 242 or Mentallo & The Fixer?

Satelliitti
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:16 pm 

Status Abnormis

First EP is more industrial:

First full lenght is less industrial. Somebody called it cyber thrash:

Silly studio diary of upcoming record: http://statusabnormis.tumblr.com/tagged/diary
End of self promotion. >:)

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:11 pm 

Well Neurotech's followup to "The Elysian Symphony" sounds promising.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:12 pm 

Well that's pretty fucking short... sounds the same as everything else though. Not a bad thing.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:26 am 

I'm looknig for newer bands in the vein of Fear Factory. Or at least those that took that sound as a foundation and built on it.

Crucial to the sound for me is :

-the un-cluttered / minimal kind of approach where the combined chug / kick sound is crystal clear and caused heart palpitations when heard loud (yep no Concrete era FF influence)

-the use of well placed samples and synths, yet never going for that over done wall of sound approach

-angry yet clear / understanable vocals

-some melodic repreive here and there and the occasional KJ style chords....

what i dont want :

any kind of metalcore / deathcore / hardcore influence
any kind of melodeath influence
no djent or meshuggah influences

solos i could give or take depending on how good the rest of simulation is

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:52 pm 

Just heard the new Emigrate. Very disappointing.

Postmantwice
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:21 pm 

Hi I'm looking any music similar to Fear Factory/Divine Heresy/Nailbomb.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:44 am 

For Nailbomb, try Ministry or Skrew's first two albums.

Skrew is very underrated.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:11 pm 

Neurotech is working on more new material. :)

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:14 pm 

kramer820 wrote:
What about Hanzyl & Gretyl?
Yeah i know, they are basically gimmicky and more of a comedy-band, but the music is classic (albeit cliched) Industrial-Metal with monstrous riffs, marching drums and distorted vocals. And as someone from Germany i appreciate the comedic approach to all things german (especially the 3rd reich):

Fukken Über Death Party
Kaiser von Shizer
Loud und Proud

I saw them open for Sister Machine Gun a while ago. They fucking killed -- the best opening band I've seen. After the crowd picked their jaws up off the floor, the whole place went nuts. Saw them again a few years ago when they opened for KMFDM. Same story, different venue. Great show.

I'm actually seeing them again - not opening, on their own - in a bit under two weeks. Can't wait!

EDIT: I went to the show and they fucking rocked.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:23 am 

Looking for industrial metal that leans heavily towards the noisy and minimalistic old school industrial side like parts of early Godflesh and Dead World. The colder and more traditionally industrial the better.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

televiper11
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:30 am 

droneriot wrote:
Looking for industrial metal that leans heavily towards the noisy and minimalistic old school industrial side like parts of early Godflesh and Dead World. The colder and more traditionally industrial the better.

You are probably already familiar with the first two Pitch Shifter releases: Industrial & Submit but if not, those would be your first stop.

Cable Regime might interest:

Certain Controlled Bleeding releases might work too:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next